PDA

View Full Version : 2nd LHRP for Bullpen

getonbckthr
12-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Few options, some more obvious than others. What do you think?

nodiggity59
12-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Willie Harris for Ron Villone. Pull the trigger and get in on that firesale, Kenny.

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Chris Hammond

kevingrt
12-08-2005, 01:09 PM
I personally like Mike Myers. Not only was he in Austin Powers, but he has a beautiful left handed under arm delivery. He usually gets guys with a nice hook too. Wouldn't mind Villone either. There are LHRP to be had on the market and I don't doubt KW finding the Sox a quality one.

nccwsfan
12-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Willie Harris for Ron Villone. Pull the trigger and get in on that firesale, Kenny.

Agreed. Villone is available so make it happen.

kittle42
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Myers, so we can hear Nancy play the "Halloween" theme all the time!

getonbckthr
12-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I say Munoz or Reynoso. It won't cost much money, and look at the success Cotts has been in that role.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I guess Im the sole Paulino backer here.

mcfish
12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
None. We don't need a 2nd lefty. If one falls in our laps, fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a lefty or keep someone on the roster that isn't as talented as others just because he's lefty.

nodiggity59
12-08-2005, 01:38 PM
None. We don't need a 2nd lefty. If one falls in our laps, fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a lefty or keep someone on the roster that isn't as talented as others just because he's lefty.

I see your point, but if we can get one for expendable players like Harris, Borchard, etc during the Fish's fire sale, why not?

KRS1
12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I see your point, but if we can get one for expendable players like Harris, Borchard, etc during the Fish's fire sale, why not?

The marlins dont have a lefty I would want, excluding a few minor leaguers.

mcfish
12-08-2005, 01:54 PM
I see your point, but if we can get one for expendable players like Harris, Borchard, etc during the Fish's fire sale, why not?I would almost rather not have a 2nd lefty. Once he's there, Ozzie and KW will never remove him. Marte had no business being on the playoff roster, let alone seeing any game time at all after his little suspension. We kept a better player (McCarthy) off the roster just to keep an unnecessary lefty who shouldn't have pitched at all, and wouldn't have pitched after yet another implosion in game 3 of the ALDS if not for the longest game in World Series history.

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 01:54 PM

I subscribe to this theory also but unfortunately, Ozzie likes the lefty-lefty, righty-righty matchups and uses them quite a bit. This means we need another lefty.

mcfish
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
I subscribe to this theory also but unfortunately, Ozzie likes the lefty-lefty, righty-righty matchups and uses them quite a bit. This means we need another lefty.Ozzie will find a way to cope. He won't be able to do rediculous things like that if he only has one lefty. That's another benefit. Did you know that Cotts had only 60.1 IP in 69 appearances? With the year he had, he should have been allowed to stay out there more, rather than come in for 1 batter most of the time.

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Ozzie will find a way to cope. He won't be able to do rediculous things like that if he only has one lefty. That's another benefit. Did you know that Cotts had only 60.1 IP in 69 appearances? With the year he had, he should have been allowed to stay out there more, rather than come in for 1 batter most of the time.

He had 60.1 IP in 69 appearances becasue we had Marte. You take away Marte and Cotts sees more IP then burns out down the stretch. 69 appearance is actually quite a bit for a reliever.

hawkjt
12-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Deacon- you hit it on the head. We need a second lefty to protect Cotts. We really had a good bullpen last year and I hope we set it up similarly with myers or someone reliable.

mcfish
12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
He had 60.1 IP in 69 appearances becasue we had Marte. You take away Marte and Cotts sees more IP then burns out down the stretch.I guess I just don't think he would have burned out. I'm not going to argue that - we could never know the answer anyway. I think it would have been a benefit to get more innings out of Cotts in his teriffic season. That is one of the benefits I see of not having a 2nd lefty - allowing Cotts to pitch a full inning when he is effective instead of wasting him on one or two batters and using up another RP as well.

Banix12
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
We really could use a second lefty but I don't believe in bringing in a lefty pitcher just for the sake of him being a lefty. That's how Kevin Walker got a job last year and how guys like Tony Fossas stayed around so long despite the overwhelming proof that they couldn't pitch. Whoever the pitcher is has to be lefthanded and actually good.

Not seeing many guys on the FA list who fit that mold. They should just bring in as many young lefties as they possibly can to spring training and hope they stumble upon another gem. Maybe trade for a young guy like they did for Damaso a few years ago. I would consider that well before I bring in another retread.

FloridaSox
12-08-2005, 03:32 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051208&content_id=1279442&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

mcfish
12-08-2005, 03:32 PM
We really could use a second lefty but I don't believe in bringing in a lefty pitcher just for the sake of him being a lefty. That's how Kevin Walker got a job last year and how guys like Tony Fossas stayed around so long despite the overwhelming proof that they couldn't pitch. Whoever the pitcher is has to be lefthanded and actually good.

Not seeing many guys on the FA list who fit that mold. They should just bring in as many young lefties as they possibly can to spring training and hope they stumble upon another gem. Maybe trade for a young guy like they did for Damaso a few years ago. I would consider that well before I bring in another retread.
I would agree with that. Try a bunch of young guys and hope to find another winner. But you have to be willing to be without the 2nd lefty in that scenario and not just keep a guy who sucks, as you stated.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I remember someone talking up that Japanese reliever Hirotoshi Ishii and how he throws 95, does anyone know the situation on his being posted? Also how long does a player from Japan have to retire in order for him to be MLB eligible or is there any restriction on this besides returning with honor?

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Ozzie will find a way to cope. He won't be able to do rediculous things like that if he only has one lefty. That's another benefit. Did you know that Cotts had only 60.1 IP in 69 appearances? With the year he had, he should have been allowed to stay out there more, rather than come in for 1 batter most of the time.No he won't. I will give you very long odds that there will be two lefties in the bullpen on April 2. The only question is, who besides Cotts will it be?

Randar68
12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
No he won't. I will give you very long odds that there will be two lefties in the bullpen on April 2. The only question is, who besides Cotts will it be?

Munoz, Bullard and Reynoso really the only in-house options, if you can call them that.

Munoz has the best chance, as he has a curve that is very tough on lefties and still quite young.

santo=dorf
12-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Villone typically has a high WHIP to go along with a high ERA.

I'd rather go with a good RHP (Politte, Hermanson, or Jenks) against a left handed batter.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 04:11 PM

I'd rather go with a good RHP (Politte, Hermanson, or Jenks) against a left handed batter.

One thing, and only one thing, I will ever agree with Jeff Brantley about is that Hermes cant get a lefty out. Maybe Viz can step up to his 04' nubers v. lefties, but asking a player to revert to former greatness is like asking a pig to fly.

TheVulture
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't want any of those guys over the guys we have now for the bullpen, but if the sox do get a lefty then who's out of the pitching staff? Maybe the sox can sign someone to a minor league deal. Villone and Myers, especially, would be downgrades compared to any of the 11 guys the sox have lined up now, not to mention compared to Marte.

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Munoz, Bullard and Reynoso really the only in-house options, if you can call them that.

Munoz has the best chance, as he has a curve that is very tough on lefties and still quite young.None of those guys really excite me. Munoz is 23, so he's not that young, but he missed a lot of time with injuries IIRC. I'll be very surprised if Kenny doesn't make another move for a lefty. Myers would have been a good choice, but Villone is not that bad as a consolation prize. I don't know of anyone else available.

Randar68
12-08-2005, 04:18 PM

Santo, how can you have a link to Hawk and DJ's greatest calls and not have a copy of the "Strap it up, Strap it down, as long as you don't strap it on..." call by DJ?

Beauty35thStreet
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
agreed, you need a lefty. I personally believe we got rid of one of the best

I subscribe to this theory also but unfortunately, Ozzie likes the lefty-lefty, righty-righty matchups and uses them quite a bit. This means we need another lefty.

santo=dorf
12-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Santo, how can you have a link to Hawk and DJ's greatest calls and not have a copy of the "Strap it up, Strap it down, as long as you don't strap it on..." call by DJ?

Believe me, I've worked very hard to find that clip. The game where he said it (I believe the Saturday night game against the A's before the All-Star break) on mlb.com uses the A's feed. I've tried switching the format player fomr Windows Media to Real Player to see if the feeds change (supposedly that's how you get different announcers) but no luck. :mad:

KRS1
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Well then............to get back on track it would probably be a good guess to say we let Malone and Reynoso battle it out in ST, and if worse comes to worse then we try and send off Willie, Borch, Gload, or the like for a lefty who can get it done. On a side note I saw Both Paulino and Corwin pitch down here in the AFL, and both throwing pretty hard, Paul @ 92-94 and Corwin @90-93, and I could see them both being a nice fit for our staff.

Qdiddy
12-08-2005, 11:39 PM
My vote is for Chris Hammond. Mix in his nasty change up with Jenks fastball and you got yourself one ugly combo.

Does anyone know what Hammond made last year?

Kenny make this happen....

ChiSoxRowand
12-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Kevin Walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 02:40 AM
Don't look now, but Rotoworld says that JC Romero will definitely be traded this offseason. Other teams would probably offer more for him than us though.

getonbckthr
12-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Don't look now, but Rotoworld says that JC Romero will definitely be traded this offseason. Other teams would probably offer more for him than us though.
Twins would never make a trade with the Sox.

gowhitesox
12-09-2005, 02:45 AM
Kenny will come up with someone, he has made all the right moves so far. I have faith in him.

Banix12
12-09-2005, 03:07 AM

Not only would they not trade with the white sox but the sox don't really have what the twins are looking for. They need a good power hitter and the sox don't really have one to spare, and before anybody says borchard remember I said "Good" power hitter. Looking for them to work something out with the Blue Jays for one of their 1b/DH, Hinske or Hillenbrand.

cubkilla#1soxfan
12-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Left-handed Starters available that could move to the bullpen:

Washburn

Moyer

Anderson

Leiter

Just remeber, Cotts was a crap starter before he moved to the bullpen and became a lights out left-handed reliever.

nccwsfan
12-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Left-handed Starters available that could move to the bullpen:

Washburn

Moyer

Anderson

Leiter

Just remeber, Cotts was a crap starter before he moved to the bullpen and became a lights out left-handed reliever.

Moyer signed a 1 year contract with Seattle and Leiter is most likely going to be stay with the Yanks (non-roster). Also, why would Washburn sign up as a reliever when he can start elsewhere? At the very least he'd be just a tad pricey for a LOOGY.