PDA

View Full Version : welcome Rob Mackowiak thread

chaerulez
12-08-2005, 02:03 PM
This is a guy who could start for most teams (although if he is a everyday player for your team, chances are your team isn't that good), and we got him to use in a utility role! He has a decent bat and speed, but more importantly he can play six different positions, a good move by KW to make the bench stronger, since the Rowand trade also made the bench weaker due to forcing Anderson be to the starter by default.

Who should replace Marte in the pen? The name I'm nearing is Mike Myers would be the likely replacement. Myers isn't someone overpowering or great by any means, but he's decent and should come cheaper than what the Sox would've owed to Marte.

Optipessimism
12-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Welcome home Robby!!! Now you can play for a team that actually wants to win!

BTW, if Myers is next I love the move. IMO Mackowiak + Myers >> Damaso + Blum. Now we have some real insurance all the way around if this is true.

Way to go Kenny!

Garland_IS_God
12-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Welcome home Rob!!

Palehose13
12-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I've wanted Mackowiak for a year or so. Welcome home and let's get you a ring!

RallyBowl
12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
:cheers: Welcome Home. See you in ST.

mweflen
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM

TMI...:redneck

While lefty relief is not exactly easy to find, I like this trade a lot. R-Mack gives us insurance at both 3B and CF. He's like Tony G minus 6 years plus outfield experience. SWEET!

Palehose13
12-08-2005, 05:04 PM

My, my...where is your mind? :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2005, 05:06 PM

While lefty relief is not exactly easy to find, I like this trade a lot. R-Mack gives us insurance at both 3B and CF. He's like Tony G minus 6 years plus outfield experience. SWEET!
Oh no. It's starting.

BV2005
12-08-2005, 05:12 PM
welcome home Rob, Glade to have you on the White Sox

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2005, 05:13 PM
R-Mack And it starts already.:angry:

bafiarocks03
12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
mod edit:
You know, maybe since Rob Mackowiak is from Oak Lawn it is possible that his friends, family, or maybe even the man himself may check out this site because they actually are Sox fans. If he did something to receive your type of welcome, fine. However, displacing Willie Harris is not a bad thing.

kittle42
12-08-2005, 05:39 PM
STOP THE NAME SHORTENING NOW!!!! :angry: :rolleyes:

:)

doublem23
12-08-2005, 05:44 PM
STOP THE NAME SHORTENING NOW!!!! :angry: :rolleyes:

:)

Pfft, whatever, K-Forty.

:redface:

kittle42
12-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Pfft, whatever, K-Forty.

It's KFo-Deucey

DickAllen72
12-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I've wanted the Sox to get Mackowiak for a couple of years now!

Marte for Mackowiak is a great trade for the Sox. He can play all OF positions and can play 3B as well as some 2B and probably some 1B.

I was hoping in recent weeks the Sox would trade for Mackowiak and his versatility would allow the Sox to save a roster spot for Frank. That's the only way I saw for the Sox to keep Frank next year. Oh well...

Anyway, Welcome home Rob Mackowiak!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

skobabe8
12-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I've wanted the Sox to get Mackowiak for a couple of years now!

Marte for Mackowiak is a great trade for the Sox. He can play all OF positions and can play 3B as well as some 2B and probably some 1B.

I was hoping in recent weeks the Sox would trade for Mackowiak and his versatility would allow the Sox to save a roster spot for Frank. That's the only way I saw for the Sox to keep Frank next year. Oh well...

Anyway, Welcome home Rob Mackowiak!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Anyone think Hawk will pick up on his Pirate HR call?

"Mack-wack-tallywack!" or whatever it was? :D:

EDIT: BTW I hope not.

DickAllen72
12-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Unnecessary name-calling because I am infatuated with Willie Harris.

No, he took Timo's spot on the team. Willie should stay unless the Sox trade him for someone else. Despite what many here think, Willie has value to the Sox and is good enough to start at 2B for some teams.

CPditka
12-08-2005, 06:37 PM
This is a guy who could start for most teams (although if he is a everyday player for your team, chances are your team isn't that good), and we got him to use in a utility role! He has a decent bat and speed, but more importantly he can play six different positions, a good move by KW to make the bench stronger, since the Rowand trade also made the bench weaker due to forcing Anderson be to the starter by default.

Who should replace Marte in the pen? The name I'm nearing is Mike Myers would be the likely replacement. Myers isn't someone overpowering or great by any means, but he's decent and should come cheaper than what the Sox would've owed to Marte.

Myers signed a 2 year deal with yankees today, hes off the market.

MHOUSE
12-08-2005, 06:37 PM
I was pumped to see that we picked up Mackowiak. He can hit, he can field, and he can run but best of all he plays every position on the field just about. Between Ozuna and Mackowiak we have an incredibly versatile bench. Widger, Ozuna, Mackowiak, Timo, and who else? Gload? Someone from AAA? Hopefully a FA outfielder with some pop.

Jjav829
12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I was pumped to see that we picked up Mackowiak. He can hit, he can field, and he can run but best of all he plays every position on the field just about. Between Ozuna and Mackowiak we have an incredibly versatile bench. Widger, Ozuna, Mackowiak, Timo, and who else? Gload? Someone from AAA? Hopefully a FA outfielder with some pop.

An OF with pop?

:LTP
"Sure, what would you like? A Coke? Sprite? Root Beer? You name it and I'll get it."

:reinsy
"I knew that $5 million would pay off some day."

jerry myers
12-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Myers went to yanks, welcome rob.

Mr. White Sox
12-08-2005, 07:17 PM
I love the trade, despite losing Marte. We finally have a formidable bench, and Mackowiak filled the only remaining need for the Sox. Of course, with losing Marte we probably will go after another bullpen guy (Villone?), but I like the trade.

Also, didn't we originally get Marte from Pitt? Who did we give up to get him?

ode to veeck
12-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Pfft, whatever, K-Forty.

LMAO MM23

JoeClutch24
12-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Robby, I never thanked you for single handedley destroying the Cubs 2 years ago in that double header. I welcome you with open arms.

tadscout
12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Mackowiak makes me think of Fozzie the bear of the Muppets...
http://www.kbtoys.com/g/toys/big/127175.jpg

Macko-wiak-waika-waika!!!

delben91
12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I love the deal. Yeah, we're down to one lefty in the pen, but I have faith in Kenny to fill that. Mackowiak is the quintessential bench player. Solid at everything (at 6 positions no less), outstanding at none of them. A perfect addition to the Sox.

Ventura Fan 23
12-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, losing Marte is not a problem in my mind. He contributed NOTHING whatsoever during the vital part at the end of the season, in the playoffs, or world series. Now we have a super utility player.

sox1970
12-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Also, didn't we originally get Marte from Pitt? Who did we give up to get him?

Matt Guerrier for Damaso Marte and Ruddy Yan

lizard6king6
12-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Woo Hoo. I think he will be a solid utility guy. Im feeling good about this trade. As we all know Marte didnt do much and now we got a solid utility man!!:supernana:

mikef1331
12-08-2005, 07:48 PM
I like this trade. It definitely adds a much needed lefty to the team along with him being a native of Chicago and a Sox fan. Plus the Sox get another player who's last name is either difficult to spell or to pronounce for a lot of people. :smile:

buehrle4cy05
12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Mackowiak seems like the perfect "Ozzieball" player for this team. He goes out and can play almost any position outside of pitcher and catcher, and he strikes me as a hard-nosed player who gives his all at any opportunity.

bighurt2719
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM
my uncle was mackoviaks 4th grade teacher in oak lawn

gowhitesox
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I like the sounds of this trade. Between Mackowiak as a back up and Thome as a DH, the sounds of 2006 World Champion Chicago White Sox are ringing in my ears!!

2005 was so much fun we need to do it again.

LuvSox
12-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Great trade today. Way to stay aggressive KW. :smile:

Bobbo35
12-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Definately a good pickup for the Sox.

ewokpelts
12-08-2005, 08:21 PM
what's with the "welcome home" stuff?

Gene

Palehose13
12-08-2005, 08:25 PM
what's with the "welcome home" stuff?

Gene

Um...he's from the South Suburbs and grew up a Sox fan.

JGarlandrules20
12-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, losing Marte is not a problem in my mind. He contributed NOTHING whatsoever during the vital part at the end of the season, in the playoffs, or world series. Now we have a super utility player.
He did win game three, remember?
Yea, he struggled a lot but he had his good moments.

I'm kinda sad Damaso is gone. I was always hoping he'd just wake up one day and go back to his nasty 2003 self. We gave him plenty of chances, I guess. I wish him the best of luck with the Pirates. Atleast he has a ring.

Anyway, I absolutely love Mackowiak and I'm glad we got him! He's like, the utility man extroadinare!

I think it's cool we acquired two Illinois guys this offseason. :smile:

Hendu
12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Memorial Day weekend 2004, I went with some friends to check out PNC. It just happened that the Flubbies were in town, and they were playing a doubleheader. Mackowiak, whose wife had given birth earlier in the day, hit a walk-off granny in game 1, and a game-tying 2-run homer in the 9th of game 2 (which the Bucs won on a Craig WIlson homerun an inning later). The look on all the Cubs fans' faces after leaving the stadium was priceless.

So welcome aboard, Rob.

ChiSoxLifer
12-08-2005, 09:04 PM
my uncle was mackoviaks 4th grade teacher in oak lawn

I went to college with a guy name Eric Mackowiak or however it's spelled. I wonder if they're related? It's not exactly a common name.

bafiarocks03
12-08-2005, 09:05 PM
hey what the heck, you can't do that!

Palehose13
12-08-2005, 09:13 PM
hey what the heck, you can't do that!
Yes I can and I did.

Black Sox
12-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Welcome home Rob!

Anyone know if its possible that the lefty replacing Damaso could be coming from the farm? Is anyone down on the farm ready for that?

A. Cavatica
12-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Terrific trade for the Sox. KW has hit nary a false note these last two seasons.

By the way, I don't see him taking Willie's spot. We should carry 11 pitchers, so that's five bench players. Widger, Mackowiak, & Ozuna are three of them; as it stands right now, I think Harris and Borchard would be the other two. That's a very flexible bench -- lefties, righties, switch hitters; power and on-base skills; speed; bunting ability; and four players who can play 3 or more positions.

Of course, the roster will still change, and Ozzie might want to keep 12 pitchers.

JohnBasedowYoda
12-08-2005, 09:53 PM
another Polish dude! dobrze!

Palehose13
12-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Terrific trade for the Sox. KW has hit nary a false note these last two seasons.

By the way, I don't see him taking Willie's spot. We should carry 11 pitchers, so that's five bench players. Widger, Mackowiak, & Ozuna are three of them; as it stands right now, I think Harris and Borchard would be the other two. That's a very flexible bench -- lefties, righties, switch hitters; power and on-base skills; speed; bunting ability; and four players who can play 3 or more positions.

Of course, the roster will still change, and Ozzie might want to keep 12 pitchers.

From whitesox.com:

The team still has to decide on arbitration eligible players such as C A.J. Pierzynski, RHP Jon Garland, 3B Joe Crede, RHP Luis Vizcaino, INF Willie Harris, Mackowiak and OF Timo Perez. Look for Pierzynski to get a multi-year deal and all but Harris and Perez to return to the White Sox.

A. Cavatica
12-08-2005, 10:12 PM
1) whitesox.com has been wrong before, and

2) Once more moves are made, Willie may indeed be gone. But if the season started tomorrow, he'd be on the roster.

RetireWoodys28
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
He did win game three, remember?
Yea, he struggled a lot but he had his good moments.

People (including myself) have dissed Damaso a lot, but the fact of the matter is a guy like Marte (or Harris, or Gload, etc.) has VALUE that must be redeemed, should the team choose to "get rid of the bum." I am certain I will remember one of my favorite White Sox curiosities of all time to be game 3 of the 2005 world series. Blum, Vizcaino, and Marte-- the 3 guys people (again, including myself) questioned the most on Ozzie's post-season roster (remember those whimpers of "we want B-Mac?")-- are the guys who came thru in the late innings of game 3.

A veteran lefty with playoff experience (and the type of season Marte had in 2003) is a valued commodity in the bullpen. What makes this trade yet another sweet deal is that we get a substantially valued player in return (left-handed batter who plays 6 positions). This is a guy who fills the Sox three main needs going into the winter meetings: 1.) quaility utility guy, 2.) insurance against Crede's back, and 3.) a center fielder, should Anderson and Owens both flop. Consider this versus what a Juan Pierre would have cost, and what he actually brings to a team! Honestly, I think KW has been the best GM in baseball since about all-star break 2004 season. Giving up 3 LHPs in a single off-season might normally concern me, but the Garcia/Contreras trades last year set off a chain reaction of Kenny-genius that has yet to cease! Now we have upgraded Thome for Everett, Mackowiak for Blum (and Timo?), re-signed Konerko, and opened up a spot in the outfield for four promising (and cheaper) prospects. We didn't exactly fleece them this time, but a very good trade for the Sox IMO.

Welcome to Chicago, Mr. Mackowiak! :bandance:

Half Cocked Jack
12-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Great move!

kevin57
12-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Welcome back home! :cheers:

akingamongstmen
12-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Welcome back to Chicago, Mr. Versatility!

kwolf68
12-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I am still not overly joyed about dealing BOTH Gio and Haigwood, but this trade is a pure winner.

Marte must be given credit. He did get the win in the 15 inning marathon in the WS. He actually pitched OK, so he greatly contributed to our title, but he needed a change of scenery and the Sox filled a most pressing need with a guy who is a Sox fan.

Geoff Blum is a SoCal guy and was looking to get back there at the first chance. Mackowiak is a Chicago guy and is probably stoked to be here. So I expect he will be a major contributor next year in many ways. Awesome that he's here.

I'd like that 2nd lefty in the pen and I think Munoz or Reynoso will be given the first crack and hopefully one will come through.

rowand33
12-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Awesome, awesome trade.

I wanted us to trade for Mackowiak bad last year and now we got him.

South Sider, fan of the team, can play tons of positions.

check out these situational stats too:
Runners on: .372 OBP
RISP: .387 OBP
RISP w/ 2 outs: .385 OBP

not to mention that he played 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, CF, and RF last year.

Giving us injury insurance at just about every position (not to mention an insurance policy if the kids end up sucking in CF. you don't want Mackowiak to start everyday, but he's certainly not an automatic out if he ended up having to. He'd get you by).

Love this trade.

:gulp: :bandance: :gulp:

Tragg
12-09-2005, 06:01 PM
People (including myself) have dissed Damaso a lot, but the fact of the matter is a guy like Marte (or Harris, or Gload, etc.) has VALUE that must be redeemed, should the team choose to "get rid of the bum."

That's true and we got quality in return. This looks like a good trade for both teams - if Marte starts throwing strikes again, Pitt has a nice closer that they picked up for a utility infielder.
RM is an excellent utility infielder.
Given my druthers, I'd dump Osuna and keep Harris. Not likely because of the bizarre early contract given to Osuna. Like Marte, Harris has some value and shouldn't be given away either. He's better than Blum and we had to give a prospect to merely rent Blum.

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Call me crazy but I think that a Harris, Gload, Borchard package of some sort could get us a decent lefty reliever. IMO, Harris and Gload are starting capable for about a third of MLB teams. I gotta think there's a fit somewhere. It would really piss me off if we ended up non tendering Willie.

Baby Fisk
12-09-2005, 06:09 PM
another Polish dude! dobrze!
Yeah, I like the sizeable slavic contingent on the Sox. Mackowiak, Pierzynski, Podsednik, and Konerko. Strong like bulls!

How about Macko as a nickname? It steers clear of two big irritants:

a) It's not R-Mac
b) It doesn't end in "ie"

MACKO! Thoughts?

beckett21
12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Call me crazy but I think that a Harris, Gload, Borchard package of some sort could get us a decent lefty reliever. IMO, Harris and Gload are starting capable for about a third of MLB teams. I gotta think there's a fit somewhere.

:Samson/Loria:

Sold. We'll trade you this guy:

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_425883.jpg

Yeah, he's a starter but you could probably pitch him out of the pen if you wanted to. The only condition is, you have to take this guy too or the deal is off:

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_408234.jpg

:redneck

JohnBasedowYoda
12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I like the sizeable slavic contingent on the Sox. Mackowiak, Pierzynski, Podsednik, and Konerko. Strong like bulls!

How about Macko as a nickname? It steers clear of two big irritants:

a) It's not R-Mac
b) It doesn't end in "ie"

MACKO! Thoughts?

I'm not much of a nickname guy...but you need some support. Count me as part of "Macko's Packo's" Or is "Mack's Pack" better?

Baby Fisk
12-09-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm not much of a nickname guy...but you need some support. Count me as part of "Macko's Packo's" Or is "Mack's Pack" better?
Anything but Mackie. (sorry bafiarocks, it won't fly)

RallyBowl
12-09-2005, 06:23 PM

You could all dress up as Michael Jackson and be "Macko's Jackos".

Tragg
12-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Call me crazy but I think that a Harris, Gload, Borchard package of some sort could get us a decent lefty reliever. IMO, Harris and Gload are starting capable for about a third of MLB teams. I gotta think there's a fit somewhere. It would really piss me off if we ended up non tendering Willie.
I would certainly hope it would, considering ONE utility player got the Pirates more than a decent lefty reliever.
Our players are pretty good - as good as the next guy's bench players.

bafiarocks03
12-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Yes I can and I did.

what for!!

gf2020
12-09-2005, 09:01 PM
From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051209rogers,1,2793001.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Ken Williams just swapped the biggest knucklehead on his roster for one of the two or three best bench players in the major leagues. Maybe the best bench player. This wasn't the biggest trade at the winter meetings, but it might have been the best trade...
Man, that is incredible praise. No pressure there Rob.

jjmlmg13
12-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Marte was great before he started beaning lefties. He would walk the lefties and get rocked by the righties. Goodbye!

delben91
12-09-2005, 09:25 PM
From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051209rogers,1,2793001.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Man, that is incredible praise. No pressure there Rob.

That's a glowing article. Wow.

Phil's praise aside, I really like the versatility this trade gives the Sox on the bench.

:versatile
"You rang?"

Ward Hershberger
12-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I really like the trade. Some of our RH pitchers are more effective vs LH hitters anyway. no need to add a Lefty to the staff just for the sake of having another one.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-09-2005, 11:14 PM
what for!!
Here you go, bafia:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=962858&postcount=11

You noticed that your post had been edited, but apparently not what it was edited with. :cool:

Tragg
12-09-2005, 11:46 PM
What an article! Some great lines in there.

HomeFish
12-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Welcome home, Daddy Mack.

Fenway
12-13-2005, 04:50 PM
it is now official

The Chicago White Sox made it official Tuesday, acquiring utilityman Rob Mackowiak from the Pittsburgh Pirates for left-handed reliever Damaso Marte.

The trade was reported earlier this month, but it was pending both players passed physicals, said White Sox spokesman Pat O'Connell.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_347124021.html

cheeses_h_rice
12-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Boers & Bernstein interviewed Rob M. a while ago.

Whoever said he was a Cubs fan is wrong, according to his answers. He's a huge Sox fan, even went to the two home World Series games with his friend and dad.

Sounds like a good guy.

Hangar18
12-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Boers & Bernstein interviewed Rob M. a while ago.

Whoever said he was a Cubs fan is wrong, according to his answers. He's a huge Sox fan, even went to the two home World Series games with his friend and dad.

It was the Chicago Media who falsely allowed that to continue being said all these years. They regurgitated this myth in order that the SOX not take attention away from the Cubs aquiring the Personable and Speedy Juan Pierre, who according to the dozen stories circulating now, is one of the best CF's in recent memory.

SOXPHILE
12-13-2005, 05:16 PM
It was the Chicago Media who falsely allowed that to continue being said all these years. They regurgitated this myth in order that the SOX not take attention away from the Cubs aquiring the Personable and Speedy Juan Pierre, who according to the dozen stories circulating now, is one of the best CF's in recent memory.

While I wouldn't put it past the Chicago media, I never really heard them say he was a Cub fan. Back in May of 2004, when he hit those 2 homeruns, helping the Pirates sweep a doubleheader from the Cubs in Pittsburgh the day after his wife had given birth, all the media was reporting how he grew up in Oak Lawn a Sox fan, and that along with the birth of his son and him beating up the Cubs made everything that much better. The only time I heard he was a Cub fan was last week when the Sox acquired him, and Mike Mulligan jokingly said it, after hearing he was from Oak Lawn. I thought it was funny, because Mulligan is a south side Sox fan too, so I knew he was being facetious. Who else said he was a Cubs fan ? Whoever did, that's just damn dumb.