PDA

View Full Version : Rob Neyer on the AL Central Race

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Chris D. (Madison, Wis.): Now that the Indians have Byrd in for Millwood and Wicky back (with no Hoffman), are the White Sox with Konerko returning re-established as the AL Central favorites? Minny seems to be stuck in quicksand.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: (1:28 PM ET ) There's one thing I want to know: is Jason Kubel healthy? Because if he is, I give the Twins as good a chance as anybody. I think we're going to see a fantastic race in that division next season.

Chisox003
12-08-2005, 12:50 PM
****house

TheOldRoman
12-08-2005, 12:52 PM
If by "race" he means the Sox winning 105, the Indians winning 90, and the Twins winning 82, then yes. It will be a hell of a race.

bobowhite
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
I still see this as a two-tier division. White Sox & Cleveland as very good

Twins, Tigers and Royals as also rans.

Maybe the Royals will sink below that (can they?)

veeter
12-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Let the Jason kubel era begin...please!

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Adam (St. Louis): What's up with your fascination of Kubel?

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: (1:44 PM ET ) Gee, I dunno. Maybe because in 2004, when he was 22, he batted .377 in double-A and .343 in triple-A. With big-tim power. He might be the best hitter nobody's ever heard of.

HebrewHammer
12-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Who is Jason Kubel and if he's so terriffic, why are the Twinkies looking for an established bat?

I'll never understand the fascination with these so called "uber-prospects", how often do they live up to the hype? 1/10? 1/20?

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Someone should tell Rob Neyer that spreadsheet guys don't necessarily make good sports writers. I'm sure there is a Bill James stat for this....

nccwsfan
12-08-2005, 01:09 PM

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: (1:44 PM ET ) Gee, I dunno. Maybe because in 2004, when he was 22, he batted .377 in double-A and .343 in triple-A. With big-tim power. He might be the best hitter nobody's ever heard of.

And his major league stats are????:?:

Crazy to think that an 'analyst' is predicting the 2006 AL Central race off of the potential of one rookie....

RallyBowl
12-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Someone should tell Rob Neyer that spreadsheet guys don't necessarily make good sports writers. I'm sure there is a Bill James stat for this....

:tealtutor:

kevingrt
If by "race" he means the Sox winning 105, the Indians winning 90, and the Twins winning 82, then yes. It will be a hell of a race.

Don't you just love when optimism reigns on WSI!!! I LOVE IT! :bandance:

caulfield12
Who is Jason Kubel and if he's so terriffic, why are the Twinkies looking for an established bat?

I'll never understand the fascination with these so called "uber-prospects", how often do they live up to the hype? 1/10? 1/20?

Morneau is disappointing and Mauer hasnīt hit for enough power.

They are looking to move Cuddyer to RF in case Kubel isnīt ready, so I would hardly call the Twins improved just because of Castillo, who has lost his burst of speed.

They donīt have a solid 3B or SS right now. And they have huge questions marks in Baker and Soriano for their rotation. How they could be even with the White Sox offensively or in their starting rotation is beyond me.

NardiWasHere
12-08-2005, 01:14 PM
:?: :o: :?:

A rookie with "extensive ligament damage" in his knee is going to put the Twins over the top?

Don't get it. How good is this guy supposed to be? How much impact can he possibly have? Why is Neyer talking about him so much in this chat? Why do I keep typing questions?

palehozenychicty
12-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Rob Neyer is an idiot. Period.

TheOldRoman
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Don't you just love when optimism reigns on WSI!!! I LOVE IT! :bandance:
I don't think I wasn't realistic. With the aquisitions of Thome and Mackowiak, the immergence of McCarthy, and the experience of having gone through it before, I think we are considerably better next year.
The Indians got worse, they lost their best starter and one of their best relievers.
The Twins are the same mediocre team that benefitted from the Sox defeating themselves 3 straight years. The Twins wont win more than 85.

Kogs35
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Rob Neyer is an idiot. Period.

he was the only one to predict the whitesox to win the al central last season :D:

SABRSox
12-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Kubel's pretty good. He could be really good. But there are way too many what if's with the Twins to pin all their hopes on Jason Kubel. I'd say 85 wins is a likely total for them. Could do a little better, but could do a lot, lot worse.

palehozenychicty
12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
he was the only one to predict the whitesox to win the al central last season :D:

But he clearly pulled it out of nowhere, and subsequently trashed us until we beat up his great run differential champion cleveland indians. then he piped down. anywayz, we are a lot better next year. sunday night, april...it's on.

Beauty35thStreet
12-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't think the AL Central will come down to a rookie, and I don't think that's exactly what Neyer meant. I do think Minnesota will be competitive.

The Sox in my opinion were the best team last year and won all the big games too. Everyone may say the regular season west and regular season east, but if you look at things, really you need to win twice: in your division and in the playoffs. Sox did both.

My money is still heavily on the Sox.

In the meantime, I don't trust getting rid of Marte for what we got and if Frank is healthy bring him back May, June, or July.

Huisj
12-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Speaking of Twins prospects impacting the race (or at least that's what Neyer is speaking of), what's the name of that lefty started they brought up last year that they got from SF in the Joe Nathan trade? Liriano or something? Is he a pitcher to watch out for next year?

Optipessimism
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't think the AL Central will come down to a rookie, and I don't think that's exactly what Neyer meant. I do think Minnesota will be competitive.

If that one rookie turned in a solid offensive season that alone could be enough to improve the team by 8-9 wins or so IMO. If Kubel can hit like he's been billed, stick him in the cleaup spot and he makes Mauer and Morneau better.

I've said this all offseason, if the Twins can only get a little more offense and play better D, I take them over the Tribe down the stretch. Cleveland has shown that they don't want to play smallball and the AL Central has become a smallball division. Sox vs. Twins down the stretch.

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
If that one rookie turned in a solid offensive season that alone could be enough to improve the team by 8-9 wins or so IMO. If Kubel can hit like he's been billed, stick him in the cleaup spot and he makes Mauer and Morneau better.

I've said this all offseason, if the Twins can only get a little more offense and play better D, I take them over the Tribe down the stretch. Cleveland has shown that they don't want to play smallball and the AL Central has become a smallball division. Sox vs. Twins down the stretch.Faggedaboudit. As presently constituted, the Twins will have their hands full staying ahead of the Tiggers for 3rd place. I see they offered Jones arbitration, but he's as good as gone, making one more hole to fill.

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Speaking of Twins prospects impacting the race (or at least that's what Neyer is speaking of), what's the name of that lefty started they brought up last year that they got from SF in the Joe Nathan trade? Liriano or something? Is he a pitcher to watch out for next year?

Francisco Liriano. He is supposed to be pretty good. I always read him hyped up with Felix Hernandez form Seattle.

Depending on the rest of their offseason (Blalock and Thomas?), the Twins should be decent next year, I personally wouldn't be suprised if they overtook the Indians. They have excellent pitching and that can go a long way. They still need alot more pop in their lineup though

SoxSpeed22
12-08-2005, 04:53 PM
The only thing that can keep us from repeating is injuries. We have most of our pieces from the champion team back and another power bat. Minny can do what they can to win. Their pitching can carry them to an above .500 record, but they don't have the power bats to steal games. The Toons can be tough, but we can dominate them again.

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Yeah, because adding a big-time hitter to that team makes their pitching staff better than average, even with 2 rookies in the rotation.......Anyway, everone knows pitching just doesn't matter all that much!

bighurt2719
12-09-2005, 10:27 AM

more like 1/60

TDog
12-09-2005, 10:36 AM

If this kid Kubel can fill out his minor league hitting-for-average-and-power game with a strong arm and great speed, he just might have the tools of a young Buddy Bradford.

JackParkman
12-09-2005, 02:36 PM

With numbers like those, he has the potential to be the next Greg Jeffries and Clint Hurdle rolled into one.

MisterB
12-09-2005, 03:11 PM

Blind squirrel, nut, etc...

SoxSpeed22
12-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Blind squirrel, nut, etc...Didn't more people pick Detroit to win the division, compared to us?

bigfoot
12-11-2005, 09:05 AM
With numbers like those, he has the potential to be the next Greg Jeffries and Clint Hurdle rolled into one.

Ahhh, for those history-laden days of Joltin' Joe Charboneau!!!!

SOXSINCE'70
12-11-2005, 09:37 AM

I thought he was the next Danny Tartabull. :roflmao: :roflmao: