PDA

View Full Version : Hendry on ESPN Radio last night

Fenway
12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Jim Hendry was interviewed last night on ESPN Gamenight about the Pierre trade.

He was asked if the White Sox winning put more pressure on him.

He replied by saying the White Sox winning was great for the city, they deserved it, KW did a fantastic job but no it doesn't put more pressure on him.

He said "The White Sox could have missed the playoffs and we still would have only won 79 games, I have to improve that."

Iwritecode
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Jim Hendry was interviewed last night on ESPN Gamenight about the Pierre trade.

He was asked if the White Sox winning put more pressure on him.

He replied by saying the White Sox winning was great for the city, they deserved it, KW did a fantastic job but no it doesn't put more pressure on him.

He said "The White Sox could have missed the playoffs and we still would have only won 79 games, I have to improve that."

Half the people that will go to watch the Cubs next year will have no idea who won the world series in 2005. Hell, they probably won't know the names of the starting pitchers in the game they are watching...

veeter
12-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Hendry is lying through his teeth.

Domeshot17
12-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I give Hendry props. In no way am i Cubs fan, but it was very professional of him. Yesterday on BBTN at 3pm winter meeting special on espn, they had either the Indiands gm or manager, forgot which one, but he seemed very cocky that the indians would whoop us because it was last year versus this year. very well done by hendry

cheeses_h_rice
12-08-2005, 12:12 PM
He has to give that answer even though he doesn't really mean it, if you think about.

If he says "Yes, this puts more pressure on us," then fans could legitimately ask why the Cubs didn't try harder in prior years, since this answer seems to indicate that there was room to improve.

Tekijawa
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
He has to give that answer even though he doesn't really mean it, if you think about.

If he says "Yes, this puts more pressure on us," then fans could legitimately ask why the Cubs didn't try harder in prior years, since this answer seems to indicate that there was room to improve.

Cubs fans aren't listening to Hendry this time of the year... they're watching Hawkeye Basketball.

SOXPHILE
12-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Hendry is lying through his teeth.

I second that. The White Sox winning the World Series caused the Cubs management and some big-wigs at TribCo. to grit their teeth in frustration and jealousy, and made them wet the proverbial bed with the realization that the argument is over. Like it or not, they are the 2nd team in Chicago now. There is now intense added pressure on Hendry and the others, and they are scrambling to assemble a team that can match the 2005 White Sox. Yes, they still have their minions of casual and pseudo fans who still have their collective heads stuck up their collective arses, and will continue to attend the Urinal for the "atmosphere" and "tradition". But TribCo. management is looking and feeling pretty stupid now that the White Sox have won it all, while the Cubs, who were supposed to do so in 2003, were sure bets in 2004, and under .500 in 2005, are still the same losers they've been since 1945. They are also worried that the tide is shifting back to the Sox as far as attention, fans, revenue, etc., and don't like the thought of that at all.

tebman
12-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Half the people that will go to watch the Cubs next year will have no idea who won the world series in 2005. Hell, they probably won't know the names of the starting pitchers in the game they are watching...

http://pages.prodigy.net/chicagocubs/goofypitches.jpg

Joosh
12-08-2005, 01:14 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/chicagocubs/goofypitches.jpg

Is Goofy available? If so, that might be the best move for the Cubs to make. He'd be better than most of the pitching staff. Get it done, Hendry!

Phil A. Show
12-08-2005, 01:39 PM
I second that. The White Sox winning the World Series caused the Cubs management and some big-wigs at TribCo. to grit their teeth in frustration and jealousy, and made them wet the proverbial bed with the realization that the argument is over. Like it or not, they are the 2nd team in Chicago now. There is now intense added pressure on Hendry and the others, and they are scrambling to assemble a team that can match the 2005 White Sox. Yes, they still have their minions of casual and pseudo fans who still have their collective heads stuck up their collective arses, and will continue to attend the Urinal for the "atmosphere" and "tradition". But TribCo. management is looking and feeling pretty stupid now that the White Sox have won it all, while the Cubs, who were supposed to do so in 2003, were sure bets in 2004, and under .500 in 2005, are still the same losers they've been since 1945. They are also worried that the tide is shifting back to the Sox as far as attention, fans, revenue, etc., and don't like the thought of that at all.

You either work for the Trib and have an inside scoop or you are just making assumptions. The Trib made billions putting up losers. Why would they change their main objective? To them, the argument of who is the #1 team is who made the most money not who won the series. A better assumption is they don't care.

tebman
12-08-2005, 02:03 PM
You either work for the Trib and have an inside scoop or you are just making assumptions. The Trib made billions putting up losers. Why would they change their main objective? To them, the argument of who is the #1 team is who made the most money not who won the series. A better assumption is they don't care.

:welcome: And I can see that you're a keen student of Chicago corporate baseball history! Welcome aboard!

SoxSpeed22
12-08-2005, 02:10 PM
I give Hendry props. In no way am i Cubs fan, but it was very professional of him.I agree, very classy of him. However, he knows, that national pressure, as well as pressure from us will make winning a title much more difficult.

Phil A. Show
12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
:welcome: And I can see that you're a keen student of Chicago corporate baseball history! Welcome aboard!

Thank you sir!

It's Time
12-08-2005, 02:33 PM

The White Sox do own the town right now and if they keep winning, they'll continue to own it. I have said before that it's important for the White Sox to win it all again because the moment the Cubs ****ing make the playoffs and the White Sox don't(not saying next year, just in general), it becomes the Cubs town once again, world series title or not.

I also have said if they do win it all, well, find a ****ing cave and hide. As of right now, however, they are of no concern.

ChiSoxPatF
12-08-2005, 02:37 PM
I give Hendry props. In no way am i Cubs fan, but it was very professional of him. Yesterday on BBTN at 3pm winter meeting special on espn, they had either the Indiands gm or manager, forgot which one, but he seemed very cocky that the indians would whoop us because it was last year versus this year. very well done by hendry

It was the Indians manager Eric Wedge and, yes, he was VERY cocky. He gave the Sox some credit for winning the World Series but insinuated the entire time that we had lucked out in winning the division in the final week.

DumpJerry
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM
on espn, they had either the Indiands gm or manager, forgot which one, but he seemed very cocky that the indians would whoop us because it was last year versus this year. very well done by hendry

It was the Indians manager Eric Wedge and, yes, he was VERY cocky. He gave the Sox some credit for winning the World Series but insinuated the entire time that we had lucked out in winning the division in the final week.
Excuse me, the Tribe went 1-7 at the end of the season which was culminated by a sweep by the White Sox who were using volunteers from the local ladies' Bridge Club to play the games to the extreme consternation of the Yankees and Red Sox. They needed to win one more measly game that week. They dropped 2 of 3 to Tampa!

The White Sox, on the other hand, ended the season with a 19-3 run which featured 11 wins and ONE LOSS to playoff teams. A run which featured four, count them, FOUR complete games IN A ROW against the second best team in the AL. The Sox pitching all season, and especially in the post season, was so scary to other teams that Homeland Security put them on the Terrorist Watch List. The only person who is gone from that pitching staff is Marte.

If this is not bulletin board material, I don't what would be. AJ must be laughing his head off right now...:D:

veeter
12-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Want to talk about arrogant or maybe just dumb, but Hendry offered Texas Corey Patterson straight up for Mench. What an insult. I hate Jim Hendry.

It's Time
12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Want to talk about arrogant or maybe just dumb, but Hendry offered Texas Corey Patterson straight up for Mench. What an insult. I hate Jim Hendry.

Where did you read this? That's unreal.

Fenway
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
speaking of the Tribune can anyone here figure out their accounting

How could the Cubs help their November numbers?
Broadcasting and entertainment group revenues in November decreased 7.7 percent to $107 million, compared with $116 million last year. Television revenues declined 8.6 percent as advertising revenue remains soft in most markets. Weakness in the automotive, retail and telecom categories was partially offset by increases in education and professional services. Radio/entertainment revenues were up 7.6 percent due to increases at the Chicago Cubs.

http://www.tribune.com/pressroom/releases/2005/12022005.html

unless WGN Radio made more money with them not playing :D:

Norberto7
12-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Excuse me, the Tribe went 1-7 at the end of the season which was culminated by a sweep by the White Sox who were using volunteers from the local ladies' Bridge Club to play the games to the extreme consternation of the Yankees and Red Sox. They needed to win one more measly game that week. They dropped 2 of 3 to Tampa!

The White Sox, on the other hand, ended the season with a 19-3 run which featured 11 wins and ONE LOSS to playoff teams. A run which featured four, count them, FOUR complete games IN A ROW against the second best team in the AL. The Sox pitching all season, and especially in the post season, was so scary to other teams that Homeland Security put them on the Terrorist Watch List. The only person who is gone from that pitching staff is Marte.

If this is not bulletin board material, I don't what would be. AJ must be laughing his head off right now...:D:

I didn't see or hear the interview, but I don't see a problem with another team being cocky. It's better than some bland, corporate response. Either one of two things will happen:

1.) He will be proven right, thereby justifying his attitude, or
2.) He will be proven wrong, and make beating him that much sweeter.

Either way, I don't have a problem with a "we're going to beat you" attitude, or "you just got lucky" attitute, whichever the case may be.

doublem23
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM

Boy, I really can't wait to see those overrated clowns fall flat on their face.

ilsox7
12-08-2005, 04:29 PM

Broadcasting and entertainment group revenues in November decreased 7.7 percent to $107 million, compared with $116 million last year. Television revenues declined 8.6 percent as advertising revenue remains soft in most markets. Weakness in the automotive, retail and telecom categories was partially offset by increases in education and professional services. Radio/entertainment revenues were up 7.6 percent due to increases at the Chicago Cubs.

It says Radio/Entertainment. The Cub falls under entertainment, so I would assume that is where the increase comes from. Possibly more apparel sales, money from MLB, etc.

skobabe8
12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Cubs fans aren't listening to Hendry this time of the year... they're watching Hawkeye Basketball.

LOL! :rolling:

DumpJerry
12-08-2005, 04:47 PM

I'm thinking some of their payables came due in November and some well informed Cub fans went to The Urinal for those late October games when they heard on the radio that "the Houston Astros will travel to Chicago for a couple of baseball games this weekend." The Cubs figured they'd take their money anyway. After all, this is the same company that scalps its own product-a great case study for a business school ethics class.

veeter
12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Where did you read this? That's unreal.Rotoworld

Fenway
12-08-2005, 06:29 PM
It says Radio/Entertainment. The Cub falls under entertainment, so I would assume that is where the increase comes from. Possibly more apparel sales, money from MLB, etc.

Maybe the giftshop at Wrigley was selling White Sox World Series stuff? :?: To the Tribune a buck is a buck