PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News on C.Lee

Nellie_Fox
12-22-2001, 02:38 AM
The Sporting News has this to say on trade rumors about Carlos: Don't believe any of the rumors that have left fielder Carlos Lee being traded. Lee had a terrible second half in 2001, batting.228, but he is still a developing young star. Lee could bring a quality starting pitcher in a trade, but he's staying put.

RichH55
12-22-2001, 08:56 AM
Sounds about right to me....if we were to deal him, it would have to be for a ratehr nice starting pitcher....ie we would NOT do a Lee for Ritchie deal....need to aim higher than that...Anyone know if Carlos is playing winter ball(I'm assuming he is)

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 11:16 AM
Well, I kind of hope that Lee sticks around. Despite having a terrible second half, his first half was good enough so that his 2001 performance wasn't really a dropoff from his 2000 performance.

I like Aaron Rowand's additude, but he'll never be a better hitter than Lee.

Daver
12-22-2001, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Well, I kind of hope that Lee sticks around. Despite having a terrible second half, his first half was good enough so that his 2001 performance wasn't really a dropoff from his 2000 performance.

I like Aaron Rowand's additude, but he'll never be a better hitter than Lee.

No but he is three times the outfeilder,Lee deserves the name Mr. Adventure,every ball hit to LF is an adventure with him out there.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 11:35 AM
This is true... Lee has been "adjusting" to playing left for what, three years, now? Four?

GASHWOUND
12-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The Sporting News has this to say on trade rumors about Carlos:

Thats good, we're gonna need his bat and I don't think we have anybody else to replace him who could pu up better #'s than Lee

RedPinStripes
12-22-2001, 01:50 PM
Lee is a Moron. Can't catch, can't throw, terrible baserunner, and can't adjust to a low and outside pitch. Great when they throw high and inside. Wonder why they threw him outside the whole second half? maybe because he tries to pull everything and can't hit to right?

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 01:57 PM
Here (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/teams/whitesox) is the rest of the story about the White Sox - stuff about Corey Lee, they guy picked up for Herbert Perry, and Graffanino, and how truly great Magglio Ordonez is...

MattSharp
12-23-2001, 02:24 AM
Lee is a decent fielder. I know he played 3B for a while so he must have quick reflexes. Anyone know why he was moved from 3B? I don't believe the Sox had anyone great playing there in '99?

I think he still has time to learn the position. I don't think that Rowand will be a better hitter, but he is certainly a better fielder. I think that if Lee can learn to hit better, people will look past his fielding skills.

kermittheefrog
12-23-2001, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Lee is a decent fielder. I know he played 3B for a while so he must have quick reflexes. Anyone know why he was moved from 3B? I don't believe the Sox had anyone great playing there in '99?

I think he still has time to learn the position. I don't think that Rowand will be a better hitter, but he is certainly a better fielder. I think that if Lee can learn to hit better, people will look past his fielding skills.

Apparantly Lee was a hack at third, even worse than he is in left. No one thought he could play the position, plus the Sox had Crede right behind him who is regarded as a potential Gold Glover.

Pete Ward
12-23-2001, 07:26 AM
Lee is a decent fielder

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ........C'mon, but seriously folks.

kermittheefrog
12-23-2001, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Pete Ward

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ........C'mon, but seriously folks.

Did you get a good look at Chuck Knoblauch in left for the Yankees? It could be worse. Knobluach's routes were comperable to those of a chicken with it's head cut off. He was just lucky to have some speed so that after he took the worst possible route to the ball he could catch up to it bouncing away and lob it into the infield with his woman arm.

The Royals are nuts for signing him. He's a horrible defender, for a leadoff man he scored a measly 66 runs last year and he's gonna take playing time from Dee Brown.

RedPinStripes
12-23-2001, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Remember this............
If anyone gets moved from the IF to LF , 9 out og 10 times it's because the are horrible in the IF. I'd bet the bank that was the reason in this case.

Huisj
12-23-2001, 09:23 PM
Ok, so Lee's not the most graceful outfielder in baseball, but it's not like he's unique in that. There are many more somewhat inept outfielders in baseball, many of whom don't take near the crap that Lee seems to take for it. I see a ton of Tiger games on TV since I'm from Michigan, and I've got to say that watching Encarnacion and Cedeno in the Tigers outfield last year was more painful that watching Lee--those two see like they could have abilty to be decent outfielders, but they are so dang lazy that they screw up all the time. They play outfield like the don't give a crap, and while they may not make many errors, their lazy play probably hurts just as much or more than a guy like Lee who does seem to be trying hard but still makes some errors. Those are just two examples, I'm sure there are more out there who are crappy outfielders too. I still say that Lee is a keeper.

RichH55
12-24-2001, 04:09 AM
Well put me down in Lee's defense...he isn't that bad....Gold Glover? Of course not, but he makes most of the plays he should, few that are iffy and none that the best defensive LFs ever make....But then again how good defensively do you need your LF to be? Is this not a position where you can "hide" a bat? His arm isn't bad, so I'm not ready to throw in the towel on C. Lee in LF, and of course add to that that I think he wil play much better than he did last year and you have a poster content with the situation in LF

RedPinStripes
12-24-2001, 07:22 AM
Let's see how people react when Lee and Singleton are traded. I'll bet one of them go at least. Sorry CRL...... :D:

RichH55
12-24-2001, 06:23 PM
Well even though I'm not a big Singleton fan, but I do like Lee, trading them depends on what you get. I don't think either of them should be given away(especially Lee)...if you can use Singleton+ to get a Kapler or better than I'm all for it...otherwise keep him here and we can continue the Rowand/Singleton debate ad nauseum

Randar68
12-24-2001, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
maybe because he tries to pull everything and can't hit to right?

Apparently you didn't see him play his first two years, otherwise you'd realize how absolutely ignorant that comment is.

Can't and Didn't are two entirely different words. Several hitters on this team tried to single-handedly make up for Frank's absense, and Lee was one of them, IMO....

The 2 years before 2001, Lee was the best on the team in situational hitting and driving the ball through the right-side hole...

Bmr31
12-24-2001, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Apparently you didn't see him play his first two years, otherwise you'd realize how absolutely ignorant that comment is.

Can't and Didn't are two entirely different words. Several hitters on this team tried to single-handedly make up for Frank's absense, and Lee was one of them, IMO....

The 2 years before 2001, Lee was the best on the team in situational hitting and driving the ball through the right-side hole...

Ignorant may not have been the best choice of words there, dont ya think?

Randar68
12-24-2001, 11:59 PM

No, it was not, poorly thought out would have been a better description, but I'm too tired to dig into my vocabulary's hidden cellar at this time...

I try not to throw that term out there, and I apologize ahead of time, but the remark was still ill-advised...

Daver
12-25-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

This statement coming from you is too rich.

Bmr31
12-25-2001, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by daver

merry christmas daver!!! :gulp:

Jerry_Manuel
12-25-2001, 12:06 AM

Let's get to the real issue here Daver. What do you have to say to the comments made by Randar in this thread?

Bmr31
12-25-2001, 12:08 AM

daver not that you care, but the real me and the me just living up to his reputation here are two different people. Dont judge people.......especially on Christmas!

Daver
12-25-2001, 12:11 AM
Have a good Holiday Bmr.

:)

SOXSINCE'70
12-25-2001, 01:59 PM
:messica

Love the bat.Hate the glove.

"Fly balls beg to be hit to left field at Comiskey".

-Rick Morrisey

Let it be known this is the first time the "Cub-une" got anything right.

:fireshoop :uboat