PDA

View Full Version : Gload or Timo

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Looking at the Sox roster looks like its going to be Timo&Gload battle for the last positon on the roster..

I hope the Sox keep Gload.

kittle42
12-08-2005, 11:09 AM
With Mackowiak, both of them are expendable.

CHIsoxNation
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
With Mackowiak, both of them are expendable.

I agree. I'd take Gload over Timo though.

Chicken Dinner
12-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Neither

Bobby Thigpen
12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Neither. The Sox are already packed with 1B/DH types (Konerko/Thome/Mackowiak?), and with outfielders (Pods/Dye/Mackowiak?/Willie/Anderson?) I would look for a middle infielder to take the place of these guys? Maybe?

Of the two I would keep Timo though. He fills the need they have the most.

Theanticub
12-08-2005, 11:16 AM
between those two, I would say Timo. If I had to choose....but since I don't get rid of em both.

TomBradley72
12-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Neither...but I don't think we need a 3rd 1B on the roster as much as another OF...I don't think Timo brings the speed you want from a bench OF.

caulfield12
12-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Neither. The Sox are already packed with 1B/DH types (Konerko/Thome/Mackowiak?), and with outfielders (Pods/Dye/Mackowiak?/Willie/Anderson?) I would look for a middle infielder to take the place of these guys? Maybe?

Of the two I would keep Timo though. He fills the need they have the most.

There would be an awesome symmetry to Graffanino coming back to Chicago after the error in the first round of the playoffs. In some ways, he might be even more popular his second go-around, and it would heal some of the hurt from the Boston error to come back to the team where he finally found a home of sorts in the majors.

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 11:26 AM
this would be my 2006 roster

1 Pods LF
2 Iguchi 2B
3 Thome DH
4 Konerko 1B
5 Dye RF
6 AJ C
7 Crede 3B
8 Anderson CF
9 Uribe SS
Reserves
10 Mackowiak IF-OF
11 Owens OF
12 Harris Utily
13 Ozuna Utily
14 Widger C

Starters
15 Buehrle LP
16 Garcia RP
17 Garland RP
18 Contreras RP
19 Mc Carthy RP

Relievers
20 Hernandez RR
21 Politte RR
22 Cotts LR
23 Chris Hammond LR ??
24 Hermanson RR
25 Jenks RR

Steelrod
12-08-2005, 11:27 AM
There would be an awesome symmetry to Graffanino coming back to Chicago after the error in the first round of the playoffs. In some ways, he might be even more popular his second go-around, and it would heal some of the hurt from the Boston error to come back to the team where he finally found a home of sorts in the majors.
Personally, I think he deserves a RING !

The Dude
12-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Gload hands down....shouldnt even be a discussion....but it is.:(:

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I seriously question if Timo belongs on a MLB roster much less a World Champion's roster. .218 avg, .266 OBP? Maybe the Royals will take him.

caulfield12
12-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I seriously question if Timo belongs on a MLB roster much less a World Champion's roster. .218 avg, .266 OBP? Maybe the Royals will take him.

Maybe we can sign Eli Marrero to replace Timo, lol.

Actually, Eli had some really good seasons for the Braves and Cardinals...he doomed his career by signing with KC.

caulfield12
12-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Gload hands down....shouldnt even be a discussion....but it is.:(:

Well, you have Thome and Konerko at 1B.

Gload is not suitable as an outfield back-up because his defense is borderline horrible.

You also have less need for a LH bat off the bench with the additions of Mackowiak and Thome.

.258, 14 Homers and 60 RBI´s would be a projected full season for Rob. About the same as Gload would do IMO, minus the versatility.

gf2020
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
this would be my 2006 roster
8 Anderson CF
9 Uribe SS
Reserves
10 Mackowiak IF-OF
11 Owens OF
12 Harris Utily
13 Ozuna Utily
14 Widger C

Do you really want Owens on the big league club if he won't be playing everday? Isn't that a big waste?

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I dont think its a waste to have Owens on the bench.. Alot of minor league prospects started out as a reserve OF.. Plus would love to have his speed coming of the bench.Do you reall want Owens on the big league club if he won't be playing everday? Isn't that a big waste?

CHIsoxNation
12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I dont think its a waste to have Owens on the bench.. Alot of minor league prospects started out as a reserve OF.. Plus would love to have his speed coming of the bench.

No way. Owens needs to be in the minors playing every day. You can't have him playing just a few times a week if that. He is still young and can improve the great skills he already has in the minors. It would absolutely be a waste to have him sitting the bench. Ozzie didn't want Anderson up for the same reason last year. He felt he should be playing every day down in AAA.

D. TODD
12-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Neither. If pressed i would have to go with Timo, but with this oick-up I think they are both asta-la-bye-bye

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Here's my roster:

Starting IFs: Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, PK
Starting OFs: Dye, Pods, Anderson
Cs: AJ, Widger
DH: Thome
Bench: IF-OF Mackowiak (L), OF Borchard (S), IF-OF Ozuna (R), 1B-OF Gload (L)*
*Frank instead of Gload :wink:

Starting rotation: Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia, McCarthy
Bullpen: El Duque, Jenks, Cotts, Politte, Vizcaino, Hermanson

RallyBowl
12-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Do you really want Owens on the big league club if he won't be playing everday? Isn't that a big waste?

Yes, it is a big waste. Some people just don't get it.

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Yes, it is a waste to have a double(AA) player sit on the bench. they need to get at-bats everyday to develop.

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 01:23 PM
You put the best 25 players on the roster and if Owens is one of the top 25 it isnt a waste..

Was Rowand a waste when he was a reserve OF for his first few years in a sox uniform

Whitesox4ever
12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I guess Scott Merkin agrees with me about Owens being the 4th OF

The move also could mean a new location for Ross Gload, with basically the fourth outfielder's spot the only roster opening remaining, and rookie Jerry Owens apparently a leading candidate to fill that void

Banix12
12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
I understand the feelings of those not wanting to put Owens in the 4th OF spot (though i have seen plenty of teams put young OF in that spot before).

However if my options are Timo, Gload, Borchard and Owens. Give me Owens. Gload can't play OF, Timo is average at best in the OF and is a lousy pinch hitter (a position people think he is good at for some reason), and Borchard has shown no ability to adequately hit major league pitching.

I think the guy who gets the position is going to be the fifth option. I don't know who it is yet but it's going to be him.

mweflen
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Gload by a longshot. But they way things are headed, probably niehter.

HotelWhiteSox
12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
The Machoviak trade thread already pointed out that whitesox.com article says Willie and Timo will be gone. So I guess it's Gload

MrRoboto83
12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Gload by a longshot. But they way things are headed, probably niehter.

I just don't see where we would play Gload. I don't want to see Gload playing OF ever again. We already have two 1st basemen.