PDA

View Full Version : Fabio Castro #1 pick in rule 5 draft.

veeter
12-08-2005, 11:33 AM
No big deal. Saw him in spring training last year. Good minor league numbers but I don't think major league stuff.

shaunburnette
12-08-2005, 11:35 AM
He Gone!

oh well. we won the World Series

Fungo
12-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey, we got Tim Hummel back in the AAA phase:rolleyes:

KyWhiSoxFan
12-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Interesting how the Tribune reports the Rule 5 action in its headlines on its website. They have White Sox lose Castro to Royals, while they report the Cubs select three in Rule 5 draft. No matter that Sox picked up three and Cubs lost four.

Hitmen77
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Can someone explain what the "rule 5 draft" is?

Thanks!

bobowhite
12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I saw Castro pitch. He had good minor league stuff, definately threw strikes and was a smart guy. Durability issues though.

bobowhite
12-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Can someone explain what the "rule 5 draft" is?

Thanks!

In short, it allows lower finishing franchises to draft players out of different organizations. Each team protects up to 40 players against this and then the picking begins. The limiting factor on this is that anybody you select must stay on your 25-man active major league roster (or DL) for the entire next season or the original franchise can claim him back. There are $50K and $25K charges involved but that's chump change to ML franchises.

It was instituted in a CBA several years ago for three reasons.
1) it allowed some balancing out of the talent level, the world champs pick late and may lose several members of the next generation of stars to lesser teams.
2) career minor leaguers who are good but not better than the existing ML player in an organization have a path to the majors. The Royals pitching may stink and they pick up a minor league pitcher from the Sox who have better pitchers but not good enough to replace the Sox staff.
3) it gives GM's a great deal of job insurance. A GM hired away by your rival can pick hidden gems out of your organization that for one reason or another aren't protected. (Ask Hawk Harrelson about this.)

bobowhite
12-08-2005, 04:58 PM
There's also a minor league phase of the draft, basicaly after everybody has said enough of the major league phase, described in previous post.

The minor league phase involves:

1) organizations get to protect more than the first 40 players
(it increase in each successive minor league phase)

2) teams still pick in some semblance of the order they finished in

3) the compensation amounts change (it costs more to claim in the AAA phase because you only have to guarentee he'll stay at your AAA level)

Generally, this allows career minor leaguers who are undervalued in one organization to be moved to another for a standard, cheap price.

Dallas Green picked the Phillies organization clean when he left them to take over the Cubs. The Cubs of 1984 resulted.

Hagan
12-08-2005, 10:34 PM
I really liked Fabio. I dont think he will be anything great but he could be a good relief pitcher one day. He has a decent low 90s fast ball, a nice curve ball, and an potentially average sinker. He could be a nice bullpen guy one day with the emphasis on could.

DrCrawdad
12-09-2005, 12:20 AM
I really liked Fabio.

http://linkandluigi.t35.com/fabio.JPG
Hey, how's it Hagan? I like you too...

RadioheadRocks
12-09-2005, 04:21 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/community/_photos/fabio-chat.gif "I can't believe it's not butter!!!"

Exit_Only
12-09-2005, 12:41 PM

:)

How's it Hagan? hahahahaa

Hagan
12-09-2005, 03:52 PM
I have not been so turned on in a long time. On a web site i write for we made that that same joke with fabio and the i cant belive its not butter.

cws05champ
12-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Anyone know how we lost Leo Daigle? He won the Triple crown in the Carolina league, but I saw that Baltimore signed him. did the Sox not have him under contract/control? This was not in the rule 5 draft..:?:

Hagan
12-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Anyone know how we lost Leo Daigle? He won the Triple crown in the Carolina league, but I saw that Baltimore signed him. did the Sox not have him under contract/control? This was not in the rule 5 draft..:?:

he was a free agent. its not big loss he is old for a prospect and nothing special. He will be in the minor leagues most of his career if not all.