PDA

View Full Version : Who is Steve Dahl?????

HootieMcBoob
12-22-2001, 02:20 AM
I was out w/ a group of friends tonite and his name came up somehow.........

Who was he??? A famous Sox fan or something? Can someone please fill me in........

I'm only 17, so I don't go back as far as some of you...........

voodoochile
12-22-2001, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
I was out w/ a group of friends tonite and his name came up somehow.........

Who was he??? A famous Sox fan or something? Can someone please fill me in........

I'm only 17, so I don't go back as far as some of you...........

Steve Dahl was the first shock jock in the world. He was howard Stern before Howard Stern was Howard Stern...

Nellie_Fox
12-22-2001, 02:23 AM
He was the disc jockey who orchestrated disco demolition at old Comiskey. He was also a sometimes Sox fan; had season tickets and usually sat up as far and high as he could get in the upper-deck right field corner. Is he not on the air in Chicago any more?

FarWestChicago
12-22-2001, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
He was the disc jockey who orchestrated disco demolition at old Comiskey.The concept of disco demolition was good. It needed to be killed. However, the execution of the plan didn't go so well. :smile:

Nellie_Fox
12-22-2001, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The concept of disco demolition was good. It needed to be killed. However, the execution of the plan didn't go so well. :smile:
ESPN did a poll on the worst fan behavior after the Cleveland Browns fiasco last weekend, and disco demolition was one of the choices. I really thought it shouldn't have been on the list, as the people who went nuts at disco demolition weren't Sox fans at all. They were just Steve Dahl fans who didn't have a clue about baseball.

FarWestChicago
12-22-2001, 02:39 AM

ESPN did a poll on the worst fan behavior after the Cleveland Browns fiasco last weekend, and disco demolition was one of the choices. I really thought it shouldn't have been on the list, as the people who went nuts at disco demolition weren't Sox fans at all. They were just Steve Dahl fans who didn't have a clue about baseball. They should have had a choice that just said, "Pick your Flubs game."

ihatethecubs
12-22-2001, 03:41 AM
heres a link about steve dahl and disco demolition night (http://www.outernetweb.com/focal/disco/)

JoeBatters
12-22-2001, 04:35 AM
I can't believe nobody remembers waking up at 6am to watch steve's show on UHF and rolling a big fat joint at 5:45am to pul you through the whole show. Pure entertainment!http://images.radcity.net/5177/110998.gif

RichH55
12-22-2001, 07:30 AM
Steve also had a much publised falling our with his long time radio partner a bunch of years back....He probably will never be near what he was

RichH55
12-22-2001, 07:31 AM
His son also attends Northwestern University and was a local high schooler at Lyons Township...just for the record

HootieMcBoob
12-22-2001, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys.

When Napster was around, I searched for "White Sox" mp3s and a song by Steve Dahl came up titled "Comiskey Park." It was one of the stupidest, cheeziest things I've ever heard.

Anyway.......I brought all this up b/c I saw a sign that said "Steve Dahl and the Dahlfins" were going to play somewhere and it reminded me of that song I downloaded........

So now I know who the guy is - whooooopee.

WinningUgly!
12-22-2001, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys.

When Napster was around, I searched for "White Sox" mp3s and a song by Steve Dahl came up titled "Comiskey Park." It was one of the stupidest, cheeziest things I've ever heard.

Anyway.......I brought all this up b/c I saw a sign that said "Steve Dahl and the Dahlfins" were going to play somewhere and it reminded me of that song I downloaded........

Steve Dahl was washed up by the 80's. The big fat dope!

oldcomiskey
12-22-2001, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
His son also attends Northwestern University and was a local high schooler at Lyons Township...just for the record

ah yes LT--where I wouldve gone had I stayed north---Lyons,Il.boy the memories

oldcomiskey
12-22-2001, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys.

I remember in 76 he had a single out that John Landecker wore out on WLS---I remember it was billed as Steve Dahl and Teenage Radiation

CubKilla
12-22-2001, 06:51 PM
His show can still be heard in Chicago on 105.9 WCKG from 2-7. Most of what you hear though is silence. His show is usually so boring that it can put a methamphetamine addict to sleep.

ExSoxFan
12-22-2001, 07:22 PM
Dahl has a great PAST ahead of him!

He was Howard Stern in Chicago while Howard Stern was being Howard Stern in Detroit.

...awful...

WinningUgly!
12-22-2001, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
His show can still be heard in Chicago on 105.9 WCKG from 2-7. Most of what you hear though is silence. His show is usually so boring that it can put a methamphetamine addict to sleep.

Exactly! It's been a few years since I've actually heard him(lucky me), but it seems like at the time he was doing the whole show out of his basement studio. Everybody else on the show was at the regular station studio but Dahl was too fat & lazy to get out of his damn house!

Nellie_Fox
12-23-2001, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
ah yes LT--where I wouldve gone had I stayed north---Lyons,Il.boy the memories
LTHS alumnus, class of '67 here. Very few Lyons (Village of) kids went to Lyons Township, most went to one of the Mortons (I don't remember which.) LT did take in a lot of towns though; parts of Lyons and Brookfield, LaGrange, LaGrange Park, Western Springs, Willow Springs, part of Argo (if I'm not mistaken), help me out if I'm forgetting any.

I remembered Dahl as living in "Bolingbrook by the Lake" but he must have moved if his kid went to LT. Boy am I old; I remember the "fetus updates" when his wife was pregnant with the first kid, and now he's in college.

RedPinStripes
12-23-2001, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow

That's pretty accutate. I only listen to him when he talks about the Sox. A few years back all he talked about was Macintosh. He's also a fareweather sox fan. I haven't listened to him in about a tear, but I'm sure he's back on the wagon.

He is a funny guy though. I'll give him that. he was much better in the 80's on wls am with his parter Gary. I forget his last name. Was it Gary Myer? but they were a riot!!!!!

cheeses_h_rice
12-23-2001, 12:30 PM
Boy, lots of bashing going on here. I feel the need to stick my nose in and offer my own, positive two cents about the Dahlster.

Yes, his current show is a shell of what it used to be. I chalk this up mainly to the split with Garry Meier -- Steve and Garry were truly a great team, and played off each other really well. They also had teams of characters that was a big part of their show -- Squeaky and Lyle the truckers, their lisping, gay characters whose names I can't remember (the Quentins?), plus all those times when Steve would be playing Tommy Skillethead, Satan, Antony DiGiovanni, etc. and Garry would play the obliging straight man. I was able to listen to Dahl's show from 1981 'til now, and I have to say that in the late '80s/early '90s, his show was part of the finest and funniest group of radio DJs this city has ever produced -- Kevin Matthews at his peak (with Jimmy Shorts and Wang), Steve & Garry with Bruce Wolf as Chet Chitchat, and, uh, Johnny B. (who I really don't like, but everyone else's interactions with him were funny).

Since the split with Garry in '93 or '94 or so, Dahl has tried to surround himself with a bunch of yes men and women, and at times the show is really grating. Plus he's "growing up" and doesn't do his trademark characters much at all anymore. But he still has it, at times, when I tune in.

Re: the Sox. Dahl has written several sappy songs about baseball and how it relates to father/son relationships. They are so earnest it makes you cringe, oh well. The only thing I was really dismayed about was the way the Stever jumped off the Sox bandwagon after they started tanking in '95, and jumped on the Flubbie/Sam-ME bandwagon in 1998 -- I think Steve even gave Sam-ME a car in '98 for his home run efforts.

Anyway, that's a bit of history there. Dahl was the biggest thing in Chicago from about 1978 onward, and I think he really did pave the way for Mr. Stern.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2001, 01:43 PM
I was a loyal listener through the 80's, too. Several of my friends crashed a gate to get into Comiskey the night of Disco Demolition back in 1979. I'm old enough to remember the daily "Fetus Update" with his expecting wife, Janet, back in 1980-81, too. His feud with WLS management and Larry Lujack was some of the funniest stuff ever. Later, I always preferred Dahl to either Brandmeier, Matthews, or (God forbid) Mancow.

I've tried listening to him again at 'CKG, but I just don't think he's very funny anymore. He always did his best stuff when facing adversity, and everybody associated with his current show is strictly second-banana. The show has no edge.

He ought to embrace Sox Fandom more tightly. His greatest feat will always be Disco Demolition. He just doesn't seem to put much effort into anything these days.

RichH55
12-24-2001, 05:32 AM

LTHS alumnus, class of '67 here. Very few Lyons (Village of) kids went to Lyons Township, most went to one of the Mortons (I don't remember which.) LT did take in a lot of towns though; parts of Lyons and Brookfield, LaGrange, LaGrange Park, Western Springs, Willow Springs, part of Argo (if I'm not mistaken), help me out if I'm forgetting any.

I remembered Dahl as living in "Bolingbrook by the Lake" but he must have moved if his kid went to LT. Boy am I old; I remember the "fetus updates" when his wife was pregnant with the first kid, and now he's in college.

Damn '67...you're old :cool: '99 Here...No Argo though, Willow Springs is as far as they go(I know that only too well)...We take Burr Ridge as well....

doublem23
12-24-2001, 12:58 PM

Ahhhhhhh!!!! I hate Lyons..... Beat my sweet sweet Shamrocks 1 game short of going downstate.....

ahhhhhh!!!!! The voices won't stop!

Randar68
12-25-2001, 12:56 AM

Well, class of '96 here. My bro went to school with his son Pat, and my Dad was on a local school board with his wife, Janet. I actually knew them pretty well, as we had them over a few times. Funny guy...

Anyways, he has lived in Western Springs for a while now, and don't forget Indian Head Park and Burr Ridge and I believe a small corner of Willow Springs and Countryside, and no, not Argo, at least not anymore.... in the LT district!

Ahhhh, North and South, what a concept, separate the Fr/So from the Jr./Sr... really why I think I was as prepared for college as I was....

Anywho, enough of the reminiscing!

RichH55
12-25-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, class of '96 here. My bro went to school with his son Pat, and my Dad was on a local school board with his wife, Janet. I actually knew them pretty well, as we had them over a few times. Funny guy...

Anyways, he has lived in Western Springs for a while now, and don't forget Indian Head Park and Burr Ridge and I believe a small corner of Willow Springs and Countryside, and no, not Argo, at least not anymore.... in the LT district!

Ahhhh, North and South, what a concept, separate the Fr/So from the Jr./Sr... really why I think I was as prepared for college as I was....

Anywho, enough of the reminiscing!

Hey Randar...what was your brothers name...chances are I went to school with him.....Always seemed to be more cubs fans than sox fans at LT, but you still get strong feelings both ways

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2001, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Ahhhh, North and South, what a concept, separate the Fr/So from the Jr./Sr.
Yeah, no upperclassmen to keep the kids who haven't dropped out of school yet under control. South was like living in a pack of hyenas. It completely destroyed high school for me. By the time I got to north (and comparative sanity) I was done for academically. Fortunately, a couple of years in the Army, a job and a family grew me out of it, and I went back to school (and went back, and went back.)

Maybe they had the insanity that was South Campus under control by the time you went there.

I can't believe I forgot about Countryside. And Hodgkins. How about McCook, was that part of the district too?

Randar68
12-26-2001, 11:53 AM

Hey Randar...what was your brothers name...chances are I went to school with him.....Always seemed to be more cubs fans than sox fans at LT, but you still get strong feelings both ways

My brother's name is Derrick.

Anyways, he is a couple years younger, but they both went to Highlands for Jr. High/Elementary

As for them straightening out South Campus, no, they never got it straightened out. I actually loved the concept. I was a big goof-off for those 2 years, but the college-prep atmosphere at North was very good, I thought...

Nellsin
12-26-2001, 12:46 PM
Just saw this thread as my computer at home was screwed up. Dahl's seats at Comiskey were in the club level, just to the the first base side of home. He was very visible from my seats, sitting under the blue and white Section sign in a Hawaiian shirt. I'm not a listener, but I know that he said he had tickets there because on club level the waitresses brought you the beer, you didn't have to get up from your seat and stand in line for it.

I noticed when he stopped coming in the mid-to-late 90's but I assumed it was because he quit drinking (he's public about being a recovering acoholic) and/or his sons got into other stuff as they grew up. Hadn't heard he went over to the dark side, that would be sad but perhaps predictable for someone dependent on listeners in a Flubbie town.

irish rover
12-27-2001, 03:36 PM
Dahl still has season tickets, at least last year he had them, he sat behind the sox dug out near John Kass

RedPinStripes
12-27-2001, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
Dahl still has season tickets, at least last year he had them, he sat behind the sox dug out near John Kass

Didn't he boycott the White Sox after the White flag trade? I'm sure he got back on the wagon in 2000.