PDA

View Full Version : The Big Hurt Deserves something special.

lostletters
12-08-2005, 04:11 AM
Frank Thomas is the all time greatest White Sox hitter. There is no getting around this. He owns almost every hitting record the White Sox have. Through good times and bad times he has always been there. He even hung around for the playoffs when many thought he might not.

He deserves something that has only been done with one other player. Retiring his number even while he is still playing.

I think if and when he comes back to Chicago, even if he is on another team, the White Sox should retire his number and present him his ring. I think the White Sox organization needs to signal to Frank it was nothing personal when they let him go, and that he still means alot to the organization.

Also, even if he plays for a team we as White Sox fans despise, we should still cheer for him. Though I relationship has been rocky at times, we all have fond memories of the Big Hurt. We should show the guy some appreciation when he comes around.

Also I suggest we should begin writing letters to Jerry to retire Franks number early.

I do not think retiring his number this early an extreme measure, he does deserve the honor.

KillerShaker
12-08-2005, 04:14 AM
I am hoping he comes back , even if for just one day, to retire a White Sox.

JorgeFabregas
12-08-2005, 04:15 AM
Didn't they retire Harold Baines' number before he had his last go-round (or two) with the Sox?

lostletters
12-08-2005, 04:17 AM
They retired Baines number when he first left the White Sox. I think Frank deserves the same honor, if not more so.

I am really sad to see the guy go.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I stand by my previous post in another thread - retire the # at game three of the opening homestand and announce the statue at the same time. Give him his props; one of the few pure hitters to play a majority his career on one team.

Chicken Dinner
12-08-2005, 10:44 AM
3.5 million dollars is something special. The retiring of his number can wait until the big man himself retires, just as long they don't let anyone else use it.

skottyj242
12-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I think they need to build a ten foot tall statue and put it in front of the park. Frank has always been larger than life and thats how I want to remember him.

mjharrison72
12-08-2005, 01:59 PM
3.5 million dollars is something special. The retiring of his number can wait until the big man himself retires, just as long they don't let anyone else use it.
I think a World Series ring is pretty freaking special, too. *****... he will get the retired number and statue in due time. No need to insult other Sox greats by tripping over ourselves.

kevingrt
12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them retire his number when he comes back to get his ring, which I believe the ceremony is on Opening Day Sunday? I could be wrong, but how awesome would it be to give him his ring and then unveil his number and picture on the outfield wall? That would be AWESOME!

kittle42
12-08-2005, 02:28 PM
How about a nice fruit basket?

DaleJRFan
12-08-2005, 02:36 PM

I'm voting for another WSI Appreciation Thread.

Taliesinrk
12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I think a World Series ring is pretty freaking special, too. *****... he will get the retired number and statue in due time. No need to insult other Sox greats by tripping over ourselves.

*****.. and realize how good he truly is.. if you're still watching "It's Time", this is still what I'm talking about.. Noone's tripping over themselves. Frank is Mr. White Sox. I don't know how you can't see that.

ChiSoxIn06
12-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Or maybe a nice cake?

BV2005
12-08-2005, 09:25 PM
yea they should retire his jearsy # when his new team plays at sox park this year.

TheLittleBulldog
12-08-2005, 10:01 PM

Lets not pretend the other Sox "greats" stack up to Frank.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-09-2005, 08:32 PM
I have been thinking about this "special" thing for Frank, and I think retiring his number, building a statue, and having a nice tribute is a foregone conclusion (and not original).

How about we do something with incorporating 35th street into some sort of tribute for Frank? I think the street number and his jersey number make for an obvious connection. I don't know what it would be exactly unless you changed the street signs to a Sox jersey with 35 on the back or something to that effect.

I don't know that the name of the street needs to be changed, just making an obvious connection would be enough and unique at the same time!

Ward Hershberger
12-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Great Idea Nate! It's too perfect an opportunity not to take advantage of it.

lostletters
12-10-2005, 02:24 AM
35th Street or Honorary name...Frank Thomas Blvd. Great idea.

gowhitesox
12-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Also, even if he plays for a team we as White Sox fans despise, we should still cheer for him. Though I relationship has been rocky at times, we all have fond memories of the Big Hurt. We should show the guy some appreciation when he comes around.

Also I suggest we should begin writing letters to Jerry to retire Franks number early.

I do not think retiring his number this early an extreme measure, he does deserve the honor.

You are 100% correct, retire the number even if he is still playing. The Sox retired Harold Baines number after they traded him to Texas. So there is no reason the White Sox can't do the same for Frank Thomas. I plan on writing to Jerry to retire Frank's number. Thank you for posting a great message and giving follow Sox fans a great idea.

gowhitesox
12-10-2005, 02:54 AM
I have been thinking about this "special" thing for Frank, and I think retiring his number, building a statue, and having a nice tribute is a foregone conclusion (and not original).

How about we do something with incorporating 35th street into some sort of tribute for Frank? I think the street number and his jersey number make for an obvious connection. I don't know what it would be exactly unless you changed the street signs to a Sox jersey with 35 on the back or something to that effect.

I don't know that the name of the street needs to be changed, just making an obvious connection would be enough and unique at the same time!

The City of Dallas did something similar for Tom Landry although after he died. Dallas named Interstate-30 "Tom Landry Freeway". They have signs with a picture of his hat. So Chicago could should put signs on 35th street, with the Sox logo and number 35 or back of a sox jersey on a sign with the name Thomas at the top and then 35. I am only saying 35th street because of his number 35 and name of the street.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2005, 03:06 AM
You are 100% correct, retire the number even if he is still playing. The Sox retired Harold Baines number after they traded him to Texas.Were you around then? The Sox endured significant ridicule for doing that, and no one else has done it before or since. The instant Frank hangs up the spikes, the Sox should retire his number, but not a moment before.

ode to veeck
12-10-2005, 04:24 AM
how about a contract on may 1? (unbridled optimism continues)

Frater Perdurabo
12-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Frank Thomas is to baseball in Chicago what Michael Jordan was to basketball in Chicago. In his prime, Frank was as dominant an offensive force as Jordan was in his prime.

I love the idea to give 35th Street the honorary designation "Frank Thomas Drive." (To be fair, one of the streets around the United Center ought to be re-named "Michael Jordan Drive.")

I also want to see a 10-foot tall statue of the Big Hurt, his image on the outfield wall and his number retired. I'm torn between retiring his number immediately or waiting until he has retired himself; I see the arguments on both sides.

Frater Perdurabo
12-10-2005, 09:30 AM
how about a contract on may 1? (unbridled optimism continues)

I like this idea best.

jerry myers
12-10-2005, 10:51 AM
A standing ovation every time he may bat against us.