PDA

View Full Version : Lyle Overbay to Blue Jays

Fantosme
12-07-2005, 11:06 PM
For Shea Hillenbrand & David Bush. It's believed that the Brewers will trade Hillenbrand to Minnesota.

Link (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/index.bg?mode=viewid&post_id=142)

Banix12
12-07-2005, 11:24 PM
For Shea Hillenbrand & David Bush. It's believed that the Brewers will trade Hillenbrand to Minnesota.

Link (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/index.bg?mode=viewid&post_id=142)

If it's true it's not a bad deal for the Brewers depending on what they can get from Minnesota. For the Blue Jays it seems almost like a wash. They don't really get the power hitter they need but Overbay is better defensively. David Bush should settle in nicely in the fifth starter spot for Milwaukee.

KRS1
12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Im thinking Rincon and a minor leaguer for Shea.

mdep524
12-07-2005, 11:32 PM
I thought the Brewers were going to hold out for more for Overbay. What happened to the standard of McCarthy and Young for Overbay? :rolling:

Banix12
12-07-2005, 11:43 PM

I'd probably make that deal. that would be a good back end starter, a solid middle releiver and a prospect for Lyle Overbay. Right about what I thought he would be worth.

CHISOXFAN13
12-08-2005, 12:01 AM

I think you are on the right track, but my guess is they will unload Romero instead of Rincon.

Could be a nice deal for all three teams involved.

These past couple days have been crazy. Sign off WSI for 10 minutes, log back on and two more trades are posted.

Love this time of the year.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 12:10 AM
I think you are on the right track, but my guess is they will unload Romero instead of Rincon.

Could be a nice deal for all three teams involved.

This past couple days has been crazy. Sign off WSI for 10 minutes, log back on and two more trades are posted.

Love this time of the year.

Your absolutely right there, J.C. is older and is due for a big deal in the near future if MR guys keep getting 3 or 4 million a year. Glad to see this lefty outta our division if so.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 12:19 AM
I'm surprised the Brewers didnt get League or Bautista in this deal.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Per rotoworld......
The Blue Jays have acquired Lyle Overbay and a prospect from the Brewers in exchange for David Bush, Gabe Gross and Zach Jackson, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
No Shea Hillenbrand. This is a better deal for Milwaukee, even if they wouldn't seem to have any use for Gross, not with Corey Hart and Nelson Cruz also around. Bush will go right into the rotation. Jackson, a left-hander chosen 32nd overall in 2004, was one of the Jays' top pitching prospects. He's a year away, but he could be a No. 3. Dec. 7 - 11:56 pm et

Sounds like a good deal on both ends if Bush can step it up in the NL.

Optipessimism
12-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Hillenbrand didn't make sense anyway. They have Fielder at 1B and Hall at 3B (anyone who thinks the BrewCrew is going to make Billy a UT guy in favor of Russell Branyan or Jeff Cirillo has to be nuts).

With a little more SP, the BrewCrew are ready to do a little more damage in the NL, but they still need a true ace IMO. Sheets has his moments, so does Davis, and Capuano is solid, but they need that true No. 1 to really start winning some games.

And Ned Yost needs to play some small ball here and there too.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Hillenbrand didn't make sense anyway. They have Fielder at 1B and Hall at 3B (anyone who thinks the BrewCrew is going to make Billy a UT guy in favor of Russell Branyan or Jeff Cirillo has to be nuts).

With a little more SP, the BrewCrew are ready to do a little more damage in the NL, but they still need a true ace IMO. Sheets has his moments, so does Davis, and Capuano is solid, but they need that true No. 1 to really start winning some games.

And Ned Yost needs to play some small ball here and there too.

If Sheets could ever stay healthy again I think he absolutely is a #1 if not an elite pitcher(of course health is the key).

Banix12
12-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Per rotoworld......
The Blue Jays have acquired Lyle Overbay and a prospect from the Brewers in exchange for David Bush, Gabe Gross and Zach Jackson, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
No Shea Hillenbrand. This is a better deal for Milwaukee, even if they wouldn't seem to have any use for Gross, not with Corey Hart and Nelson Cruz also around. Bush will go right into the rotation. Jackson, a left-hander chosen 32nd overall in 2004, was one of the Jays' top pitching prospects. He's a year away, but he could be a No. 3. Dec. 7 - 11:56 pm et

Sounds like a good deal on both ends if Bush can step it up in the NL.

This is a much better deal than the previous one. Bush didn't put up bad numbers last season he just didn't win. I like him as the 4th or 5th starter. And to get Jackson could very well be a steal. Gross has a decent shot to grab a backup role. Looking at his AAA numbers he hasn't done to bad down there. Looks like an optimum case to be another Doug Melvin reclaimation project like Brady Clark or Scott Podsednik.

Optipessimism
12-08-2005, 12:49 AM
If Sheets could ever stay healthy again I think he absolutely is a #1 if not an elite pitcher(of course health is the key).

He has the stuff no doubt but he has those games where he just gets hammered. He reminds me of McCarthy a lot, or should I say McCarthy reminds me of Sheets. I can see both having lots of success in the Bigs if they can stay healthy and keep their fastball from getting over the plate because when they do they get killed. If Sheets ever stops getting that weird equilibrium thing and has a full season of a healthy arm and shoulder he can put up Cy Young type numbers, but I still think they need that Zito/Mulder type pitcher. If they could pull off a trade for either or sign one next offseason they will be in the playoffs for sure.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 12:55 AM
He has the stuff no doubt but he has those games where he just gets hammered. He reminds me of McCarthy a lot, or should I say McCarthy reminds me of Sheets. I can see both having lots of success in the Bigs if they can stay healthy and keep their fastball from getting over the plate because when they do they get killed. If Sheets ever stops getting that weird equilibrium thing and has a full season of a healthy arm and shoulder he can put up Cy Young type numbers, but I still think they need that Zito/Mulder type pitcher. If they could pull off a trade for either or sign one next offseason they will be in the playoffs for sure.

I know it was his first season if the NL but i dont consider Mulder a top flight pitcher anymore after the last year and a half. His last year with Oakland in the first half he seemed unhittable and then he just plummeted back to earth, white Zito essentially did the polar opposite last year with his sloooooow start. You never know about those A's pitchers and their Cy Young half years. Also about Bmac, his flaw wasnt hitting the strikezone w/ the FB but rather in leaving it up in the zone where it seemed to fly. When he gets good downward movement on that fastball it is a pretty pitch, and if he could ever tame that sinker/2 seamer he might be a #1.

Banix12
12-08-2005, 01:02 AM

He has put up cy young numbers in the past. he just never gets the wins because he is on the Brewers, especially pre-2005 when their offense was anemic.

2004 numbers 2.70 ERA, 264 K, 32 BB, 237 innings, 5 complete games.
2005 numbers 3.33 ERA, 141 K, 25 BB, 156.2 innings, 3 complete games

last season was the first season he had ever had health problems in the bigs. He had made every major league start up to that point and he has never had arm problems. He had vertigo which they can treat and he had some back problems at the end of last season which shouldn't be anywhere near career threatening.

EDIT: Also, to not like a pitcher because he "has those games where he gets hammered" is stupid. EVERY pitcher "has those games where he gets hammered." Just some more than others and frankly Zito and Mulder have each been hammered more often in the last two years than Ben Sheets.