PDA

View Full Version : And the new centerfielder is.....

soxinem1
12-07-2005, 09:27 PM
If the White Sox had the opportunity to pick up a CF with a good glove, speed, and power, would you be for it?

I am not necessarily in favor of getting this guy, but KW and Ozzie may be able to make a player out of him.......

It is obvious his manager is a failure developing young players, a fresh start could benefit.....

It may be intriguing..... And his team is now desperate to dump him.

COREY PATTERSON IN CF, anyone?

Unregistered
12-07-2005, 09:28 PM
<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

bobowhite
12-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Ever hear the song, "What part of NO don't you understand?"

DeadMoney
12-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Wow, umm... :bong:

Banix12
12-07-2005, 09:36 PM
No way as a starting CF, I would rather call up a prospect than work on a project. Though I would possibly consider him as a 4th OF if the Cubs picked up part of his contract.

getonbckthr
12-07-2005, 09:36 PM
:tealpolice: If the White Sox had the opportunity to pick up a CF with a good glove, speed, and power, would you be for it?

I am not necessarily in favor of getting this guy, but KW and Ozzie may be able to make a player out of him.......

It is obvious his manager is a failure developing young players, a fresh start could benefit.....

It may be intriguing..... And his team is now desperate to dump him.

NardiWasHere
12-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm so confused right now

soxinem1
12-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I posted this question because I love the creative responses that such questions generate from Sox fans.

LUVDSOX!!!

MarySwiss
12-07-2005, 10:03 PM
I posted this qurestion because I love the creative responses that such questions generate from Sox fans.
LUVDSOX!!!

Nice try, but Sox fans know a bluff when they see one.

soxinem1
12-07-2005, 10:14 PM
No bluff here..

I even mentioned in the post I do not necessarily favor the thought. Plus, in prior posts I have stated my preference for Brian Anderson.

Additionally, I am not enthralled with the idea of adding ex-cubs to the Sox, though it may be popular up north to add ex-Sox.

SOXintheBURGH
12-07-2005, 10:17 PM

You mean this guy?

mdep524
12-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah, we had a thread on this a week or two ago and the response was overwhelming negative. I think Patterson's image is tainted here because he was a hyped up Cub, but he had a lot of stuff working against him with the Cubs that make him a great change-of-scenery guy. 8 miles is not enough of a change of scenery, so I'll pass. BUT I do think he can be a very productive major leaguer somewhere, in the right role.

RealMenWearBlack
12-07-2005, 10:36 PM
You mean this guy?

How about this guy?
:puking:

Exit_Only
12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I hear Cubs fans say they're scared of trading CPatt only because they're worried he will become Lou Brock for another team. If I were them, I wouldn't be worried because he will never amount to anything until he changes hit attitude. And that is as likely to happen as Dusty Baker appreciating the talent of Murton and Cedeno.

Deuce
12-07-2005, 11:03 PM
COREY PATTERSON IN CF, anyone?:bundy

SoxSpeed22
12-07-2005, 11:05 PM
:threadblows:
:threadsucks
Take your pick.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-07-2005, 11:53 PM
I hear Cubs fans say they're scared of trading CPatt only because they're worried he will become Lou Brock for another team.
So, ensure that he doesn't become the next Lou Brock by keeping him with the Cubs? I like their strategy!

HotelWhiteSox
12-08-2005, 12:08 AM
When you take off the Cub label and acted like you didn't know him, he'd be a mixture of speed and power, with good defense, but with a lot of strikeouts and an inconsistent offense. That's not too bad, I mean, it was kind of similar to Aaron (don't know his K numbers though), but I like Anderson

wdelaney72
12-08-2005, 08:48 AM
When you take off the Cub label and acted like you didn't know him, he'd be a mixture of speed and power, with good defense, but with a lot of strikeouts and an inconsistent offense. That's not too bad, I mean, it was kind of similar to Aaron (don't know his K numbers though), but I like Anderson

OK, I'll take off the Cub uniform.

He can't hit. He can't Throw.

No thanks.

pythons007
12-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Corey Patterson needs to go to a team far far far away from Chicago. He needs to sit down with a hitting coach that can teach him not to swing at everything, shorten his swing, teach him to hit the ball on the ground, teach him what a walk is, and how to hit a homer when there are runners on base (I believe all his homers last year were solo shots.) I think Patterson could end up being a 5 tool player, but until he learns all of the above, he is going to be a strikeout king who can't get on base.

Banix12
12-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Corey Patterson needs to go to a team far far far away from Chicago. He needs to sit down with a hitting coach that can teach him not to swing at everything, shorten his swing, teach him to hit the ball on the ground, teach him what a walk is, and how to hit a homer when there are runners on base (I believe all his homers last year were solo shots.) I think Patterson could end up being a 5 tool player, but until he learns all of the above, he is going to be a strikeout king who can't get on base.

His homers were solo shots for the most part because he did most of his hitting early in the season at the top of the order leading off the game or hitting behind the pitcher, so he didn't get too many RBI chances.

The cubs have been trying to teach him that stuff for years. I just say accept him for what he is and develop the skills he has shown. He spent his early years in the minors training to be a middle of the lineup player. He comes to the major league squad and they tried to turn him into a leadoff man despite showing no acumen at the skills needed for that slot.

Work on making contact, work on his defense, get him to drive the ball more often and he could be Jacque Jones within a year or two. A decent high power, low OBP good defensive OF who should be able to bat just below the middle of the lineup. Though actually if you compare his stats from 2004 to Jones' stats he has put up the last couple years, they are incredibly comperable.

I think if he goes to an american league squad i think he could be a very good 9 hitter. He has enough power to make him a decent run producer and he is fast enough that he doesn't clog the basepaths for the top of the order. Hide him low in the order, build his confidence back up and I think eventually he could be a solid 5 or 6 hitter.

NeverForget42
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
corey patterson is the worst baseball player of all time

IMO, but i'm sure others would agree

Tragg
12-08-2005, 05:31 PM

No.

However, if we weren't loaded with CF prospects, I'd take him if the cubs were giving him away. They put him in a ridiculous position last year, for a rookie.

ilsox7
12-08-2005, 05:35 PM
No.

However, if we weren't loaded with CF prospects, I'd take him if the cubs were giving him away. They put him in a ridiculous position last year, for a rookie.

He is far from a rookie. Came up in 2000. Played full seasons in 2002 and 2004. His 2003 year was cut short by injury, but he hit .298 with 13 homers in a half year. Having said that, no way you take this guy. Our minor league guys are MUCH cheaper, have just as high of a ceiling if not higher, and do not have the baggage.

mdep524
12-08-2005, 06:00 PM
corey patterson is the worst baseball player of all time

IMO, but i'm sure others would agree I don't know how people can say this. Were you not around in 2003 when he hit .298 with 13 HRs 55 RBIs and 16 SBs in only 83 games before getting injured? I'd sure take that kind of production. If you look at his situational stats from that year, he did almost all that damage from the 6th spot in the line up.

Then he comes back in 2004 and what do the stupid Cubs do? Try to make him bat lead off again! LOL. In '04 he batted .319 in the 7th spot and .261 in the lead off spot. Then in '05 they bounce him all over the place and do nothing to build his confidence.

The Cubs ruined Corey Patterson. IMO, he's a lot like Jose Contreras. Hyped up beyond belief, horribly coached, misused, abused. The more I see him trashed here the more I hope he come back and has a great season for some AL team in the 7th spot next year. The kid's got talent.

Banix12
12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't know how people can say this. Were you not around in 2003 when he hit .298 with 13 HRs 55 RBIs and 16 SBs in only 83 games before getting injured? I'd sure take that kind of production. If you look at his situational stats from that year, he did almost all that damage from the 6th spot in the line up.

Then he comes back in 2004 and what do the stupid Cubs do? Try to make him bat lead off again! LOL. In '04 he batted .319 in the 7th spot and .261 in the lead off spot. Then in '05 they bounce him all over the place and do nothing to build his confidence.

The Cubs ruined Corey Patterson. IMO, he's a lot like Jose Contreras. Hyped up beyond belief, horribly coached, misused, abused. The more I see him trashed here the more I hope he come back and has a great season for some AL team in the 7th spot next year. The kid's got talent.

Damn straight. What's the saying Hawk always chirps about. "Never ask a player to do what he can't do" Corey Patterson can't leadoff and they just kept jerking him around for a year trying to get him to do it.

He is a major league talent but he is now a project. He has shown an ability to hit major league pitching and while he isn't the best OF he can play out there. If his salary were equal to the 4th OF options on the sox or the reserve OF on the free agent list I would take him in that role in a second.

Like I said before, if some team moves him down in the order he could very well become a less expensive version of Jacque Jones either next year or the year after. Which isn't too shabby.

MERPER
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
As I told a Cub fan friend of mine....

I wouldn't trade them my favorite U.S. Cellular Field food (a Best's Kosher grilled dog with grilled onions) for Patterson....

That's the honest to god truth cuz watching him play would make me lose my appetite all season long....

Tragg
12-08-2005, 08:36 PM
He is far from a rookie. Came up in 2000. Played full seasons in 2002 and 2004. His 2003 year was cut short by injury, but he hit .298 with 13 homers in a half year. Having said that, no way you take this guy. Our minor league guys are MUCH cheaper, have just as high of a ceiling if not higher, and do not have the baggage.

Thanks for the correction.

But I'd still take him cheap - like for Harris or something.

ilsox7
12-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the correction.

But I'd still take him cheap - like for Harris or something.

I would rather let our own guys have the shot. Patterson makes too much money for the risk he is.

NeverForget42
12-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't know how people can say this. Were you not around in 2003 when he hit .298 with 13 HRs 55 RBIs and 16 SBs in only 83 games before getting injured? I'd sure take that kind of production. If you look at his situational stats from that year, he did almost all that damage from the 6th spot in the line up.

Didn't the Cubs have to send him down to the minors. Corey Patterson is one of my most hated Cubs players of all time, it might not be rational, but it is true.

This is especially relevant when one of the Cubs announcers (I forget which) tried to compare corey to Reggie Jackson and justifed this statement by saying 'they both have a lot of power and they both strikeout a lot'

I'm sorry but I don't think Reggie struck out nearly as much as Patterson and I don't think Patterson had anywhere near the amount of power Reggie did.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent.

This statement doesn't apply to Corey Patterson, he's basically Sammy Sosa without the juice and a better fielder. This only proves that Cubs have the one of the worst farm systems of all time and can't teach their guys anything except to swing for the fences at any cost, we don't care where you bat in the order, or if we win, just knock some out of the park to give the drunks something to cheer about. Felix Pie is next in line to break into the majors with a lot of talent and become nothing but a 'should have been'.

I wont even get into the Cubs organization turning two of the brightest young power pitchers into nothing but DL spots.

Corey Patterson is not the worst player of time, I retract my previous statement, but I hope he never gets a White Sox uniform

Besides Mike, why you rippin' me, we family.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2005, 09:49 PM
no simply no, he's awful

SOXSINCE'70
12-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I don't think Reggie struck out nearly as much as Patterson and I don't think Patterson had anywhere near the amount of power Reggie did.

Kid KKKKKKKKorey also never went to the WS,where Reggie
was a lethal hitter and won 5 WS titles ('72,'73 '74 A's,
'77 and '78 Yankmees).

Banix12
12-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Kid KKKKKKKKorey also never went to the WS,where Reggie
was a lethal hitter and won 5 WS titles ('72,'73 '74 A's,
'77 and '78 Yankmees).
Something seems incredibly dumb about this argument. I think it's that those WS teams were all good teams and Corey is on the cubs. Replace Corey with Reggie on these cubs teams and while I think there would be improvement, they still wouldn't be World Series caliber. Also Reggie won 5 World series while Corey has barely played 4 full seasons (six years total, 2 years as backup) of baseball. I would love to see how Corey could win 5 WS titles while playing for the cubs.

What was said before about the cubs announcers comparing Corey to Reggie, yeah, that comparison should never be made.

I have often thought that Corey's biggest curse is he has speed. Cubs covet that in the leadoff spot so much that they will throw anybody in that position as long as they have speed, even if their bat isn't up to that level. I don't consider corey patterson as big a disaster as many of you make him out to be, however he is certainly a project and likely better suited for another team. Though, I would still take him over Borchard in the 4th OF role if the cubs would eat some salary.

chisoxmike
12-11-2005, 07:40 PM

You've got to be ****ing kidding.