PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox trade Mirabelli to Padres for Loretta

ChiSoxIn06
12-07-2005, 07:54 PM
didnt see this trade coming...this is a steal by the red sox in my opinion... but one question I have is who is going to catch for tim wakefield next year..whenever varitek caught for him he looked simply awful.

munchman33
12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
didnt see this trade coming...this is a steal by the red sox in my opinion... but one question I have is who is going to catch for tim wakefield next year..whenever varitek caught for him he looked simply awful.

I disagree. Loretta is a big question mark due to injury.

And the Padres have a HUGE GAPING HOLE behind the plate. Mirabelli is good enough to play everyday, and was stuck behind Varitek in Boston. He'll have a break out year for the Pad's

ChiSoxIn06
12-07-2005, 08:01 PM
loretta will be fine health-wise..he will hit .290 20 HR 85 RBIS and maribelli will have to first win the starter job from miguel olivo before he can have his "break out year".

getonbckthr
12-07-2005, 08:02 PM
I would rather have Loretta then sign either Hernandez or Molina.

Fenway
12-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Mirabelli is good enough to play everyday, and was stuck behind Varitek in Boston. He'll have a break out year for the Pad's

The Red Sox think (hope) that Kelly Shoppach can step up to the #2 role.

I hope he does a lot of practicing with the knuckleball in Ft Myers

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/shoppach-kelly.htm

I hope Doug has a great season in San Diego

champagne030
12-07-2005, 08:16 PM

And the Padres have a HUGE GAPING HOLE behind the plate. Mirabelli is good enough to play everyday, and was stuck behind Varitek in Boston. He'll have a break out year for the Pad's

What??? Mirabelli is a 35 year old bag of balls.....He's never hit squat. This would be a big steal for Boston. There's not a chance I would trade Widger for him (and that's not a compliment to Chris). Maybe it will work for us and and Boston won't offer arbitration to Graf.....

Fenway
12-07-2005, 08:19 PM
and Boston won't offer arbitration to Graf.....

they did

The Red Sox offered salary arbitration to three of their seven free agents today: outfielder Johnny Damon, second baseman Tony Graffanino, and third baseman Bill Mueller. They declined to offer arbitration to pitcher Matt Mantei, first baseman Kevin Millar, reliever Mike Myers, and retiring first baseman John Olerud.

ChiSoxIn06
12-07-2005, 08:19 PM
This would be a big steal for Boston.

It isn't "would be" a big steal..it IS a big steal. the deal is complete from what I understand.

Banix12
12-07-2005, 08:20 PM

That Gaping Hole's name is Miguel Olivo. It will be fun to see who ends up getting more playing time in the end, Olivo or Mirabelli.

I think it's well worth the risk to bring in Loretta. A backup catcher for a second baseman who can hit .300 when healthy? Sign me up.

champagne030
12-07-2005, 08:22 PM
they did

The Red Sox offered salary arbitration to three of their seven free agents today: outfielder Johnny Damon, second baseman Tony Graffanino, and third baseman Bill Mueller. They declined to offer arbitration to pitcher Matt Mantei, first baseman Kevin Millar, reliever Mike Myers, and retiring first baseman John Olerud.

Good move on their part. They know those guys won't take arbitration because they'll get more on the market.....I would've also give it to Myers.

Tragg
12-07-2005, 08:23 PM
To me, that's a big steal for Boston.
How do they do that?

Fenway
12-07-2005, 08:24 PM
It isn't "would be" a big steal..it IS a big steal. the deal is complete from what I understand.

it is now

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/logo_bos_79x76.jpghttp://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/news/pr_header.gif
12/07/2005 BOSTON, MA - The Boston Red Sox today acquired second baseman Mark Loretta from the San Diego Padres in exchange for catcher Doug Mirabelli.

Loretta, who hits and throws from the right side, is a .301 hitter with 230 doubles, 20 triples, 63 home runs and 466 RBI in 1,230 games over all or part of 11 major league seasons with the Brewers (1995-2002), Astros (2002) and Padres (2003-2005). The 34-year-old, who owns a lifetime .365 on-base percentage and a career .408 slugging percentage, hit .280 with three homers and 38 RBI for San Diego in 2005, when he was limited to 105 by a strained ligament in his left thumb. The 6-foot, 180-pounder was placed on the disabled list May 24 and underwent surgery to repair the ligament that same day. He was activated from the D.L. July 18 and appeared in 65 games the rest of the way.

Milwaukee's seventh round pick in 1993 after an All-American career at Northwestern University, Loretta enjoyed his finest season in 2004, when he batted .335 with 47 doubles, 16 homers, 76 RBI and 108 runs scored in 154 games for the Padres-establishing career bests in each category. He was a National League All-Star, earned the N.L. Silver Slugger Award at second base and was honored as the Padres' Most Valuable Player for the second season in a row. His 208 hits were a personal high and ranked second in the National League. He also ranked among N.L. leaders in multi-hit games (second), batting (third), doubles (fourth) and runs scored (ninth).

Signed through the 2006 season, Loretta who has nearly as many walks (413) as strikeouts (450) in his big league career. He is a career .309 hitter against lefthanders and a .297 lifetime hitter vs. righthanders. The native of Santa Monica, CA is a career .319 hitter with runners on base, a .313 hitter with men in scoring position, a .306 hitter with runners in scoring position and two outs and a .308 hitter from the seventh inning on.

The versatile defender has seen time at all four infield position, in the outfielder and even made an appearance on the mound for Milwaukee in 2001. Loretta's primary major league position has been second base, where he has a career .987 fielding percentage in 593 games (551 starts). In three seasons in San Diego, he played second almost exclusively (409 games, 403 starts). He has a .983 fielding percentage in 328 career games (275 starts at shortstop, a .968 fielding percentage in 171 games (130 starts) at third base and a .993 fielding percentage in 160 games (104 starts) at first base. He appeared in one game in left field for the Brewers in 1998. Mirabelli has spent the last four-plus seasons with the Red Sox, hitting .253 with 37 homers and 119 RBI in 282 games. Including a .228 average, six home runs and 18 RBI in 2005, Mirabelli is a career .241 hitter with 47 long balls and 165 RBI in 445 games with the Giants (1996-2000), Rangers (2001) and Red Sox (2001-2005). Mirabelli was acquired by Boston from Texas in a deal for righthander Justin Duchscherer on June 12, 2001. Among players active with the Red Sox at the conclusion of the 2005 season, only Tim Wakefield, Trot Nixon, Jason Varitek and Manny Ramirez had been with the club longer.

chisox83
12-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Total steal for the Red Sox. I really like Loretta...the little dude can hit.

wdelaney72
12-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Where do the Red Sox plan on playing Mueller? Their infield is starting to look awfully crowded.

ma-gaga
12-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Where do the Red Sox plan on playing Mueller? Their infield is starting to look awfully crowded.

They are going to trade him to the Twins for Liriano! Uh... Baker! Uh... Rincon! Uh... JC Romero!

He's trade bait of some sorts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Twins and Boston hook up for a deal. :cool:

MHOUSE
12-08-2005, 05:33 PM
What are the Padres doing? I liked what they were up to getting Cameron, retaining Hoffman, getting Castilla, then they go and trade Loretta for Mirabelli who's never caught for anyone but Wakefield it seems. Maybe they know something we don't about his health. I hope Olivo gets the starting job.

Jjav829
12-08-2005, 05:44 PM
What are the Padres doing? I liked what they were up to getting Cameron, retaining Hoffman, getting Castilla, then they go and trade Loretta for Mirabelli who's never caught for anyone but Wakefield it seems. Maybe they know something we don't about his health. I hope Olivo gets the starting job.

Supposedly the Padres are planning on making a run at Nomar to play second. If that doesn't work out then Josh Barfield will likely play second. I can see why they might think now is the time to sell high on Loretta, but I'm surprised they couldn't get more than Mirabelli.

samram
12-08-2005, 06:51 PM
They are going to trade him to the Twins for Liriano! Uh... Baker! Uh... Rincon! Uh... JC Romero!

He's trade bait of some sorts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Twins and Boston hook up for a deal. :cool:

He was a free agent, now with the Dodgers.

My question is how does Boston's infield fill out? Millar at first (I guess), Loretta at 2B, Lowell at 3B- who's at SS? Hanley Ramirez was part of the Beckett trade, IIRC. I'm a little out of it as work has kept me from staying up to date, so I may have missed a move, but that infield is far from great.

samram
12-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Supposedly the Padres are planning on making a run at Nomar to play second. If that doesn't work out then Josh Barfield will likely play second. I can see why they might think now is the time to sell high on Loretta, but I'm surprised they couldn't get more than Mirabelli.

Yeah, a back-up catcher for a guy who's been the leader of that team for a few years? Strange.

MHOUSE
12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
He was a free agent, now with the Dodgers.

My question is how does Boston's infield fill out? Millar at first (I guess), Loretta at 2B, Lowell at 3B- who's at SS? Hanley Ramirez was part of the Beckett trade, IIRC. I'm a little out of it as work has kept me from staying up to date, so I may have missed a move, but that infield is far from great.

Millar is gone. There was talk of putting Youlkis at 1B, but then some of the Manny Ramirez trade-talk had them spinning off Youlkis too as part of it and getting a 1B back. Lowell 3B, Loretta 2B, maybe trading Andy Marte to Tampa Bay for Julio Lugo to play SS, otherwise they need to pickup a SS elsewhere. Maybe Lowell could move to 1B if Marte was ready to play 3rd everyday? I dunno. That Renteria trade shook-up their middle infield.