PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye is Always Hard

Petch
12-07-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I could not be more conflicted about what is going on with Big Frank. I know, I'm young, but as a kid I was a Frank Thomas fan before I was even a baseball fan. Now, bleeding black and white with the rest of you, I have to say that he has always been my favorite player and to see him have to leave is terrible. I keep hoping that there is just some way for him to return; some deal that Ozzie and KW could strike up that gives him a few appearances per week, but I know that I won't happen. I know that the team is better off now than had they not gotten Thome or resigned Paulie, but it kills me to see this legend leave and know that he won't retire in the uniform that he should. What do you think?

Chicken Dinner
12-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Frank will go down as one of the best White Sox players in history, but unfortunately, his services will not be required this season. The Sox gave him 3.5 million dollars and parted ways. There's no doubt in my mind that there will be future ceremonies at the Cell to retire his number and unveil his statue.

JoeClutch24
12-07-2005, 01:30 PM
We'll miss the big guy

lunchbox
12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
It's not so much seeing him go that hurts as the thought of seeing him put on another team's jersey.

DannyCaterFan
12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
This is the way many of the great players of all time go out. He will always be known as a White Sox legend, no matter where he goes for a season or two. Let's hope he can get his 500th!

Mots09
12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
I just hope he gets to 500 and does it w/ dignity, and not just hang on in order to do it.

I wish him nothing but the best but gosh I am going to miss the guy I have idolized since i was 8 years old.:whiner:

soxfan43
12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm the same way, I hate to see Frank go. But I totally understand what the Sox have to do as an organization, and that being said Frank is a huge risk for any team. Even if Frank was healthy, KW really wanted that lefty power bat in Thome. It's going to really suck seeing Frank in another uniform, but we'll just have to get used to it.

Jjav829
12-07-2005, 02:46 PM
It's gonna suck to see Frank playing somewhere else, but you know what, I watched Michael Jordan (my all-time favorite player in any sport) play 2 years for the Wizards when he clearly wasn't the same Michael. After that it doesn't really phase me as much seeing players in different uniforms.

kevingrt
12-07-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I could not be more conflicted about what is going on with Big Frank. I know, I'm young, but as a kid I was a Frank Thomas fan before I was even a baseball fan. Now, bleeding black and white with the rest of you, I have to say that he has always been my favorite player and to see him have to leave is terrible. I keep hoping that there is just some way for him to return; some deal that Ozzie and KW could strike up that gives him a few appearances per week, but I know that I won't happen. I know that the team is better off now than had they not gotten Thome or resigned Paulie, but it kills me to see this legend leave and know that he won't retire in the uniform that he should. What do you think?

I think I come from the same boat as you when you say you were a Frank fan before being a baseball fan. I am 18 and was just starting to watch baseball and White Sox baseball when they went to the playoffs in 1993. No one was better or more valuable to the sox at that time other then Frank Thomas. I met him the next year outside of Sox Fest and he was with his girlfriend I suppose. I approached him and he happily signed my hat, and my dad talked to him for a couple minutes. It was the coolest moment ever. He was ginormous.

It's gonna be so sad not seeing him at the Cell. I know for one thing though that when he is elected to the HoF he will go in loud and proud with a nice black & white SOX on his cap.

DenverSock
12-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Alright already, we're all sad to see Frank go. He's had 16 seasons. I hope he gets his 500, but far more importantly, I hope the Sox repeat.

TheDarkGundam
12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Frank has been a Sock for almost my entire life (i'm 17). It will be tough to see him gone, and worse to see him in another uniform. But, as DenverSock said, i'd rather see the Sox repeat than have Frank stay.

RKMeibalane
12-07-2005, 04:13 PM
It's gonna suck to see Frank playing somewhere else, but you know what, I watched Michael Jordan (my all-time favorite player in any sport) play 2 years for the Wizards when he clearly wasn't the same Michael. After that it doesn't really phase me as much seeing players in different uniforms.

I was thinking about that earlier today. When I look back over the careers of many of the athletes that I've followed, the vast majority of them have changed teams at least once during their careers. It's not surprising that it ended up happening to Frank.

nccwsfan
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Letting Frank Thomas move on is disappointing, but it's the right thing to do.

Frank Thomas is the most productive hitter in the 105 year history of this team. No matter what happens he will ALWAYS be a member of the White Sox, and in a few years he will find a way to return to the organization.

Good luck to you Big Hurt.

Ventura Fan 23
12-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I want to give Frank a big hug. However, I kind of expected this. So many great players play with different teams at the end of their careers. Here's a short list

Willie Mays played for the Mets
Patrick Ewing played for the Magic
MJ played for the Wizards (as mentioned above)

jabrch
12-07-2005, 08:30 PM
It is time...

I appreciate what he did here, but there is no longer a spot for him. That's the way the game is. The good thing in my eyes is that we replaced him with a guy who is a great teammate, a great hitter, and potentially will be as much a force on this team as Frank would be if he were healthy.

It's not like we just dumped Frank to save money.

In any case, good luck to the Big Hurt elsewhere (except when he plays against us)

Fenway
12-07-2005, 08:41 PM
I want to give Frank a big hug. However, I kind of expected this. So many great players play with different teams at the end of their careers. Here's a short list

Willie Mays played for the Mets
Patrick Ewing played for the Magic
MJ played for the Wizards (as mentioned above)

Willie Mays playing for the Mets was one of baseballs saddest moments. He just didn't have it any more.

While it is sad Frank won't be back in 2006 he will be oin the wall soon enough and you will always have the memories of his years in Chicago.

Now he can make the best deal for himself. Nellie Fox didn't have that chance being traded to the Houston Colt 45's for a bag of balls in 1963 and he ended his career in Houston. But he will always belong to the South Side and so will Frank

mrs. hendu
12-07-2005, 08:48 PM
It's really hard to imagine Frank not being on the Sox. I'm really sad to see him go. :(

At least he got to be there in 2005 and get the ring.

kevin57
12-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Besides getting a ring for being on the squad, for the few weeks Frank did play during this Championship Season, he made an impact. He won more than a couple of games going long. I was at one of those games. Devil Rays, 7th Inning. It was priceless. :smile:

Brian26
12-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm sad to see Frank go, but I think the past two years have really softened the blow. He was out for the entire 2nd half of 2004 and most of 2005. We were able to see a Sox team play without Frank for prolonged periods...and they played well enough to win the World Series. I'm glad Frank got his ring with the Sox.

I remember his debut game in Milwaukee like it was yesterday. It's actually amazing to think about everything that has happened in the world and in our lives from that day in August of 1990 to tonight. Sixteen years with one team seems like an eternity nowadays.

zach23
12-07-2005, 10:54 PM
I finally got off my butt and bought a DVD recorder and I have been copying old tapes I have. So far I have done the 1983 playoffs and All Star game, the clincher from 1983, and Super Bowl XX. Tonight I was copying over the last night game at Old Comiskey in 1990. It was weird watching a young Frank Thomas as he came up with a clutch 2 out hit. It is hard to believe that 15 years went by so fast.
I will miss Frank. I am glad he at least got to leave with a ring. If it could have been scripted, it would have been nice to see him drive in the winning run in game 4.

HawkISox
12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Its even harder when you are replacing him with a guy who has only slightly less of an injury issue and is almost the same age.

It was a slap by Kenny, plain and simple. Its beyond "business". Thats a cop out. This was personal and goes back to playing days and Kenny's jealousy of Frank from those days.

doublem23
12-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Slightly less of an injury issue? Jim Thome's averaged 145 games or so every year from like 1994-2004 as a full-time first baseman, last year was the first time he ever missed substantial time due to injury. Frank, on the other hand, has been a primary DH over the last two years and missed well over 60% of the games, with the same injury. He's a big man, I don't know how well that will ever heal. The Sox did what they had to do. Frank's doing what he has to do. Twist it however you want. It's hard to see him walk away, just as hard when I saw Robin Ventura in that Mets and Yankees uniform, but at least he got his ring here, he deserved it.

GeauxSox
12-07-2005, 11:09 PM
...It was a slap by Kenny, plain and simple. Its beyond "business". Thats a cop out. This was personal and goes back to playing days and Kenny's jealousy of Frank from those days.

No, I don't think so; but it's ok if you want to "let it out" that way. I'm hurting too buddy.

HawkISox
12-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Its amazing how one title can make SO many sycophants for the GM, while just brushing off the best player in franchise history like so much garbage.

Yes, it is only slightly less an issue. Those type of back problems do not go away for a normal person, let alone one swinging his back around violently 1000 times a year who is over 35 years old. Look at the injury itself, not some history.

doublem23
12-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Its amazing how one title can make SO many sycophants for the GM, while just brushing off the best player in franchise history like so much garbage.

Yeah, well sports is results driven, and last I checked Kenny Williams has 1 more championship ring than you, buddy, so pardon me if I'm going to side with him. He and Ozzie crafted that team despite the fact that numerous twits on this site and everywhere (like yourself) called him an idiot, said he didn't know what he was doing, etc. Then his team went on to win 99 games, be in first place wire-to-wire, and put on one of the most dominating performances in October ever. So, sorry if we're not all still in the "Kenny Williams is an idiot boat." That is so 2001, anyway.

The Sox gave Frank his chance last year. They kept a spot warm for him and waited all year for him to get healthy enough to play, and he succumbed to the same injury that ended his season the year before.

Look, I'm as pissed about this as anyone else, and I know I'm going to get sick to my stomach when I see him in someone else's uniform for the first time, but you can't blame the organization for doing what they are doing. They have a chance to really make a change in the way this team is percieved locally and nationally, but to do so they have to keep winning.

Championships by you some ****ing slack.

HawkISox
12-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Thats BS...Sorry

They did not have to go this way.

How much slack will Kenny have in June if Thome is done and Frank has 15-20 shots for the Twins? Not a lot I would guess.

FarWestChicago
12-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah, well sports is results driven, and last I checked Kenny Williams has 1 more championship ring than you, buddy, so pardon me if I'm going to side with him.It's amazing how many people on this site who have never accomplished one goddamned miniscule, insignifcant nothing in their lives think they are so incredibly important. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
How much slack will Kenny have in June if Thome is done and Frank has 15-20 shots for the Twins? Not a lot I would guess.Plenty. Quit while you're behind.

HawkISox
12-07-2005, 11:39 PM
In Guillen I trust....let me put it that way.

I wonder if Kenny is looking at the Alomars.

CosmRoks
12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I am 22,Frank is my favorite ball player ever. i like many others even copied his batting stance as a youth. yes, it is sad to see him go. however i think we will spend a couple years with oakland,eventually come back for his 500th and play his last game in a sox uniform,we can all hope for that.

and at least they didnt Fisk the guy.

Pureone
12-07-2005, 11:59 PM
He will be missed.

But I hate the A's... I hope he can go to the NL. I doubt that will happen though.:(:

zach23
12-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Its even harder when you are replacing him with a guy who has only slightly less of an injury issue and is almost the same age.

It was a slap by Kenny, plain and simple. Its beyond "business". Thats a cop out. This was personal and goes back to playing days and Kenny's jealousy of Frank from those days.

Are you saying Kenny was jealous of Frank when they played together? If so, that is impossible since they never did play for the Sox together. Kenny was gone after 1988.
Face it, this was a business decision. The Sox want to repeat and they feel their best chance to do so is with Thome and not Frank. Only time will tell if they made the right choice, but since everything they did last year resulted in a championship, I will give them the benefit of the doubt right now.
Frank was a great player and it sucks to see him leave, but all players leave sooner or later.