PDA

View Full Version : A second go-around on the Sox for Graffanino?

ChiSoxGirl
12-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Per Levine from the Winter Meetings in Dallas (so take it with a grain of salt), the Sox are interested in reacquiring free agent Tony Graffanino. How ironic would that be, considering he had such a huge role in the Sox winning Game 2 of the ALDS?!

It seems to between two ex-Red Sox in Mueller and now Graffanino. Which one do you guys think would be a better fit as a utility infielder and in the clubhouse? From what I remember, Graffanino was a great clubhouse guy and a class act, and was definitely adequate as a utility guy and pinch-hitter. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Sox uni.

The Deacon
12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I would prefer Mueller but I dont think it's very likely we'll sign him. He is used to being a full-time player and it will probably be difficult to convince him he'll get 450+ at-bats.

Graffanino would be a great addition too. There probably isnt a better utility man on the market. Although the Red Sox do have until midnight to offer him arbitration, something I think they will do considering there arent better options out there.

Madvora
12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I'd love him back on the team, but he left because he wanted to be a starter. I don't think he'd come back to the exact same situation.

Law11
12-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I like Tony G, but can he play 3rd? We have willie at 2b behind Tadahito.
Pablo can play some third but we need a more solid Defensive backup at the corner. Mueller fits that need but probably wont want to be playing part-time.

infohawk
12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Either would be fine, although I would prefer Mueller. Mueller can hit left-handed and has a superior ability to reach base.

knocko94
12-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Mueller is almost certain to go to the Dodgers, start at third for them. (They had Jose V last year)

Did someone say the Dodgers needed a third baseman? There were indications they could be on the verge of signing free agent Bill Mueller (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5587) -- who just happened, by some amazing coincidence, to jump on the phone the other day to give Colletti a rave review of Little's managerial qualifications.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2250604

Chicken Dinner
12-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Tony G. can definitely play 3rd as good or better than Ozuna or Blum. It would be a great acquisition if he's willing to accept a utility role. He only made 1.1 million last year so he should be affordable.

duke of dorwood
12-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Tony G fits the bill-he is Reinsdorf's all time favorite, isnt he?

21stcenturySox
12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
His game 2 error proves he's a White Sox. Remember it was the Faux Sox who gave up that 3-run dinger to Iguchi.

TG can play the hot corner and he's a good contact man for the 2 hole. While he won't start in the line-up, I'll bet he'd love to be managed by Ozzie--could probably play 100 games next year.

Don't discount the effect of signing this guy on the myth-makers: "White Sox 'ace in the hole' Rewarded with Multi-Year Deal".

crazyozzie02
12-07-2005, 11:04 AM
If there is any chance of getting "MY MAN" Tony G back, i will go nuts if we dont get him. Plus off the subject but whats up with Norton?

gobears1987
12-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Isn't his new name Bill Buckner?

Uncle_Patrick
12-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Tony G fits the bill-he is Reinsdorf's all time favorite, isnt he?

Not of all time, but Graffanino was JR's favorite active White Sox player while he was on the team.

Iwritecode
12-07-2005, 11:51 AM
:hawk

Where would he play?

I like Tony as much as the next guy but is he really that much of an upgrade over Ozuna? They're fairly close offensively and defensively neither one is really much more than an adequate utility man. Pablo can play the outfield while Tony never has. (Although he did play 3 games in LF under Jerry "the tinkerer" Manuel in 2001. :?:)

I thought Pablo did a pretty good job at 3b when Crede was out with back problems and Tony would rather be a starter anyway...

Domeshot17
12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
I like it, I think Tony G or Aurilla or Mueller would come in for the blum/willie role, and I just have a gut feeling Willie might be wearing a cardinals uniform this year.

Bench would look something to extent of: Widger Pablo Gload (In the timo role) Graff Borchard

Lip Man 1
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't have an issue with Tony in the utility position. He cares, plays hard and has some ability (look at his numbers in half a season with Boston.)

I think he'd fit in.

Lip

wdelaney72
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I'd prefer to have Mueller, but I agree that he'll likely be starting for another team next yer.

I like Tony G., but with Crede, Uribe, Tadahito, and Ozuna all benig RH, wouldn't we be better off with a LH bench/utility guy?

MsSoxVixen22
12-07-2005, 12:47 PM
I was just talking about this the other day with my Dad, telling him how I how the White Sox get him back. If they do, this will be me :bandance: I was a big Tony G person back when he was on the team.

MERPER
12-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I've always been a T-Graff fan.... going to school at Mizzou, I've been to a number of KC Royals games the past few years and always cheered for him when he was there...

He's a class act, a good fielder and has turned into a decent little hitter too... great insurance should anyone get injured...

And, if anyone isn't sure whether or not he can play a certain infield position... I once saw T-Graff enter a Sox game in the 6th inning and play EVERY INFIELD position at one point or another until the game ended.... keep in mind Manuel was the manager...

I'd take him back in a heartbeat!

D. TODD
12-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I've always been a T-Graff fan.... going to school at Mizzou, I've been to a number of KC Royals games the past few years and always cheered for him when he was there...

He's a class act, a good fielder and has turned into a decent little hitter too... great insurance should anyone get injured...

And, if anyone isn't sure whether or not he can play a certain infield position... I once saw T-Graff enter a Sox game in the 6th inning and play EVERY INFIELD position at one point or another until the game ended.... keep in mind Manuel was the manager...

I'd take him back in a heartbeat! I have no problem with Tony G. coming back if he is content to be a utility guy. But, if he is playing third I hope he remembers when there is a force out and when he has to make the damn tag! He was solid for us, but was awful in that game against the Cubs, blew a cookie for the winning squeeze bunt in that game, too.

ChiSoxGirl
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
But, if he is playing third I hope he remembers when there is a force out and when he has to make the damn tag! He was solid for us, but was awful in that game against the Cubs, blew a cookie for the winning squeeze bunt in that game, too.

I remember that game well! I happened to score free tickets a few rows behind the Sox dugout for it and remembered being so upset at that misplay, considering it cost the Sox the game. I believe it was that play that earned him the nickname Gaffenino in the headlines and with fans. Who among us knew that nickname would be resurrected only a few years later at the same ballpark, only in a much more critical situation during a game and in a different infield position... and that his gaffe would work to our advantage & send Sox fans into one of the greatest frenzies that night?!

jdm2662
12-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm fine with the move. He's a quality back-up, but the question is if he wants such role. I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for a starting job elsewhere.

crazyozzie02
12-07-2005, 02:57 PM
One question. Is there any substance to this rumor? I dont want to get my hopes up.

spongyfungy
12-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Tony G coming back would be like Charles Oakley coming back. missed the good parts

Banix12
12-07-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd prefer to have Mueller, but I agree that he'll likely be starting for another team next yer.

I like Tony G., but with Crede, Uribe, Tadahito, and Ozuna all benig RH, wouldn't we be better off with a LH bench/utility guy?

I think ideally it would be better to get a lefty. However the only way the sox are getting an adequate lefty reserve player appears to be through a trade and other than unsubstansiated Mackowiak rumors there don't seem to be any players available in that mold

Ideally a lefty would be nice but if you have to use the FA list he is probably the best option available.

Tragg
12-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Hopefully we'll get Mueller.
Graff hit well last year; he did not hit well in 2002, 2003 and 2004, however. We need another legitimate bat no this team - Mueller would bring that.

I don't consider making a key error in the playoffs a sterling credential.

Fenway
12-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Boston will at worse get some draft picks now for either

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox today offered salary arbitration to three of their remaining seven free agents.

The club offered arbitration to outfielder Johnny Damon, second baseman Tony Graffanino and third baseman Bill Mueller. The Red Sox declined to offer arbitration to right-handed pitcher Matt Mantei, first baseman Kevin Millar, lefthanded Mike Myers and first baseman John Olerud.

TheVulture
12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
I like Tony as much as the next guy but is he really that much of an upgrade over Ozuna?

I would have assumed that both Tony and Ozuna would be on the squad - Tony would be replacing Blum/Willie. You're right, though we'd have two fairly poor fielding utility guys.

DickAllen72
12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Boston offered Tony arbitration so the Sox won't be signing him--I doubt they'd be willing to part with the draft picks for him.

A. Cavatica
12-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Agreed, Graffy isn't worth two picks. And he isn't any better than Ozuna.

Tragg
12-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I would have assumed that both Tony and Ozuna would be on the squad - Tony would be replacing Blum/Willie. You're right, though we'd have two fairly poor fielding utility guys.
And the main purpose of utilty guys is...to field.
We jumped the gun siging Osuna; Willie's a better player than him, and considering that we need another dependable bat, Willie looks to be odd man out (although we should get something for him).

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Agreed, Graffy isn't worth two picks. And he isn't any better than Ozuna.Wow. Graffanino is a Class A?:o:

caulfield12
12-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Mueller is almost certain to go to the Dodgers, start at third for them. (They had Jose V last year)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2250604

Mueller was offered salary arbitration, so he is not going anywhere apparently.

Looks like Mike Myers might be back in the discussion, especially if Marte is trade to Pittsburgh for Mackowiak as is being speculated about.

Tragg
12-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Wow. Graffanino is a Class A?:o:That list is absolutely senseless. Milwood is class b, but Graffanino is class A. There are other howlers as well.

The only thing more senseless would be giving up 2 draft choices for Graffinino - that would be insane.