PDA

View Full Version : No interviews with non-English-sepakers in DVDs

mjharrison72
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM
I apologize if this is something that was brought up in one of the other DVD review threads, but I watched both specials last night for the first time, and I have to say although they were great, I was extremely disappointed that they did not interview any of the non-English-speakers on the Sox.

Considering what an important part of the team Contreras, Uribe, Iguchi, El Duque and others were, I thought this was a pretty egregious omission.

Obviously it costs a little bit more to hire a translator or two and either overdub or put subtitles during interview snippets, but I would have loved to hear Uribe talk about that catch in the last game of the World Series, or Contreras on his complete game in the ALCS, or Iguchi on winning the World Series in his first season in the United States.

Did anyone else notice this, and if so, what excuse could MLB and the Sox have for such an oversight?

FoulkeFan
12-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I was disappointed in this as well, especially since I've heard Freddy and El Duque being interviewed in English and they are at least as easy to understand as Ozzie :D:.

I noticed this right after seeing the World Series movie and I really can't understand the reason for it. Especially since players like Rowand had a ton of screen time, so they could certainly have fit in other interviews. I think they just wanted to get these DVD's out as quickly as possible to make sure they were out during the frenzy of White Sox buying right after the Series.

SoxFan78
12-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I noticed that too and I thought it was strange also. Maybe when they taped the interviews the non-English speaking players were already gone, but I would of loved to see the Cubans, Tadihito, and Juan on there.

brewcrew/chisox
12-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I noticed it with the first DVD, and thought the ommision left a huge hole. I mean, the great thing about the 2005 team is the multicultural dynamic and to leave out guys like Iguchi, ElDuque and JC is a shame. I was hoping they would have added those guys in "Sox Pride" but I guess it wasn't done.

bobowhite
12-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I was disappointed in this as well, especially since I've heard Freddy and El Duque being interviewed in English and they are at least as easy to understand as Ozzie :D:.

And there is no need to have a bleeper machine to clean up the English (that is English that Ozzie speaks?)

bobowhite
12-07-2005, 10:14 AM
I apologize if this is something that was brought up in one of the other DVD review threads, but I watched both specials last night for the first time, and I have to say although they were great, I was extremely disappointed that they did not interview any of the non-English-speakers on the Sox.

Considering what an important part of the team Contreras, Uribe, Iguchi, El Duque and others were, I thought this was a pretty egregious omission.

Obviously it costs a little bit more to hire a translator or two and either overdub or put subtitles during interview snippets, but I would have loved to hear Uribe talk about that catch in the last game of the World Series, or Contreras on his complete game in the ALCS, or Iguchi on winning the World Series in his first season in the United States.

Did anyone else notice this, and if so, what excuse could MLB and the Sox have for such an oversight?

I doubt it was a cost issue. If you are doing professional quality interviews (and they clearly were) then the additional costs of interpreters/ subtitles are very minimal.

I think those guys had all gone home and the production company didn't want to contract out to international firms to do interviews with those players in their native countries. But that's a guess.

Fungo
12-07-2005, 10:15 AM
The same can be said for the parade. If I'm not mistaken, Contreras was the only "non-English speaker" to come up to the mic.

mjharrison72
12-07-2005, 10:31 AM
I doubt it was a cost issue. If you are doing professional quality interviews (and they clearly were) then the additional costs of interpreters/ subtitles are very minimal.

I think those guys had all gone home and the production company didn't want to contract out to international firms to do interviews with those players in their native countries. But that's a guess.

That's plausible... but doesn't Contreras at least live in the United States?

Baby Fisk
12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
It would be great if the box set (coming in March) features an international perspective on the Sox and their players eg.: Iguchi meeting the Japanese prime minister.

IlliniSox4Life
12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I was dissapointed too. I always want to hear more interviews with all the non english players, especially Iguchi. There's so much stuff I'd ask him if I could. Unfortunately I never seem to come face to face with players, and even then , the Japanese I took in high school has left me mostly.

tacosalbarojas
12-07-2005, 01:56 PM
It would be great if the box set (coming in March) features an international perspective on the Sox and their players eg.: Iguchi meeting the Japanese prime minister.Agreed. Even better how about a Spanish DVD (with English subtitles, of course), focusing on the members of the team from the Dominican, the Cubans, and Venezuela and their experiences during the playoff run. Come on Univision or Telemundo marketers - someone needs to step on this.

bobowhite
12-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I was dissapointed too. I always want to hear more interviews with all the non english players, especially Iguchi. There's so much stuff I'd ask him if I could. Unfortunately I never seem to come face to face with players, and even then , the Japanese I took in high school has left me mostly.

Official can of worms opening!!!

Perhaps I should start a thread on this.

What questions would you ask Iguchi if you could?

I might (very much a might) (maybe even a might might) be able to get questions to him. Since I also occasionaly watch NHK and sometimes even see the Japanese papers I can probably relate things I've heard from him (if you don't mind answers secondhand, that is.)

Baby Fisk
12-07-2005, 02:31 PM

I'd like to know if there's anything in north american culture that either utterly baffles him or makes him laugh to himself.

bobowhite
12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd like to know if there's anything in north american culture that either utterly baffles him or makes him laugh to himself.

Where to start on that one?

IlliniSox4Life
12-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Well, I would definately want to know a lot about the differences playing in Japan versus the US. There are tons of little things I would ask just about players attitudes, how the game is played, the pitchers, etc. I know some of the stuff from just general knowledge of baseball in Japan, but it'd be nice to hear from someone who has played in both systems.

Probably also a lot about his transition to the US. What is it like to play on a team without any other Japanese players. I'd also ask more about his feelings when Shingo got traded. I never really heard much about his point of view on that.

How does it feel to come over here and right away when the World Series? Did it come as a shock to happen so soon? what should we expect from him next year, how many home runs does he think he can hit?

id probably ask if he feels like japanese players should be eligible for ROY in their first year, and does playing in japan give him an advantage over rookies playing in the minors.

Then just some general life stuff. How does he like the city of Chicago, has he ever been to a football or basketball game here, does he even like those sports, what's his favorite japanese restaraunt in the city, does he prefer any american customs to japanese and vice versa. what's his favorite beer.

I'm missing a lot of question marks, and that's just kinda a general list of stuff off the top of my head. If youre really serious about that, I would put more thought into it, probably eliminate a bunch of those and then add some others.

TimoPerez
12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Juan Uribe speaks English. He was interviewed in the locker room.

Was Timo interviewed on any DVD? I would have to pick up a copy.

Baby Fisk
12-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Where to start on that one?
I dunno... um... What does he think of his nickname? :duck:

*runs away and hides from bobowhite*

32nd&Wallace
12-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Juan Uribe speaks English. He was interviewed in the locker room.

Was Timo interviewed on any DVD? I would have to pick up a copy.I heard Uribe being interviewed on B and B last year. His English is not that good, but I give him ALOT of credit for going on there an dtrying to get through the interview on his own, considering Boers later made fun of the interview.

Vernam
12-07-2005, 08:30 PM
I heard Uribe being interviewed on B and B last year. His English is not that good, but I give him ALOT of credit for going on there an dtrying to get through the interview on his own, considering Boers later made fun of the interview.A caller hung up on B&B tonight after they ridiculed Podsednik, who was being compared to Kyle Orton via some tortured analogy. Those guys are such complete *******s, it's a wonder that anyone dials in. Do they know a single word of Uribe's native language, btw?

I like the idea of yet another new Sox video, though, all in Spanish to make up for MLB's oversight with the first two. Gotta have English subtitles, though, obviously!

Vernam

BainesHOF
12-07-2005, 09:34 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm embarrassed that they weren't interviewed.

TimoPerez
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
I heard Uribe being interviewed on B and B last year. His English is not that good, but I give him ALOT of credit for going on there an dtrying to get through the interview on his own, considering Boers later made fun of the interview.

His English was heavily accented in the interview I heard. I give tons of credit to players who learn English well enough to interview after only a few years in the country. Say what you want about Timo but I have a ton of respect for him for learning Japanese in his few years in Japan and now English(according to Paqua's Posers...Was his English accented heavily like Juan's?) to go along with his fluent Spanish.

rookie
12-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Interesting observation, I didn't notice until now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the interviews were done before the parade. I read it somewhere right around parade time, and if you look at the DVDs all the guys are wearing what they wore in the parade.

Maybe it wasn't possible to do the whole translating thing that quickly. Though with technology today you would think it possible. But that means the reporters would have needed a translator for the interviews. And if it was right before the parade (and the Oprah thing) it sounds like they were rushed.

But when they do the big bad boxed set, they better do a thorough job. I don't want to see the same interviews I've already seen!

bobowhite
12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Interesting observation, I didn't notice until now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the interviews were done before the parade. I read it somewhere right around parade time, and if you look at the DVDs all the guys are wearing what they wore in the parade.

Maybe it wasn't possible to do the whole translating thing that quickly. Though with technology today you would think it possible. But that means the reporters would have needed a translator for the interviews. And if it was right before the parade (and the Oprah thing) it sounds like they were rushed.

But when they do the big bad boxed set, they better do a thorough job. I don't want to see the same interviews I've already seen!

It looks like you are right on that. Keep in mind though, there is always a Sox interpreter traveling with Iguchi at all times. I even saw him in the celebration videos.

MasQbellesa
12-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Agreed. Even better how about a Spanish DVD (with English subtitles, of course), focusing on the members of the team from the Dominican, the Cubans, and Venezuela and their experiences during the playoff run. Come on Univision or Telemundo marketers - someone needs to step on this.

Somebody call Don Francisco!!!