PDA

View Full Version : Report: Benson to KC for Affeldt and MacDougal

Brian26
12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Gammons is reporting that Kris Benson may be headed to the booming metropolis of Kansas City. Can't wait to see Anna's reaction to this. :D:

soltrain21
12-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Divorce.

SABRSox
12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I kinda like that deal for the Mets. Two good arms that could get better, and a lot of money off the books.

SoxSpeed22
12-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Divorce.:roflmao::roflmao:
I think the Mets are ready to make another big acquisition. Benson's contract was huge. (understatement!) I think he can do fine in KC, if you call "fine" a 4.5+ ERA and under 10 wins. The Mets get 2 pitchers who couldn't find the strike zone with GPS. I really don't know what to make of this deal, other than the thing I said about the Mets trying to get someone else.

Corlose 15
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
If the mets can't afford Benson's contract how the hell can the Royals afford it?:?:

Optipessimism
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Wow. This has the potential to be a steal for the Mets. Benson is going to get rocked by the Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, and hell maybe even Minnesota. I would have thought in these days of overvalued and overpaid relievers that MacDougal and Affeldt would command something a little more than Benson, but oh well. The 2006 KC Royals still sucks to the tune of a 62-100 record.

buehrle4cy05
12-06-2005, 11:00 PM
:drool:

Kansas City has money to spend. Is it just me, or do the teams that haven't had money to spend in the past not know how to spend it in the future? (See Baltimore, Kansas City, and Toronto)

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I like this deal for the Royals. Granted I don't know what it all means for them since they'll still finish in last, but I still think it's a nice deal for the Royals. Let's face it, they aren't drawing any good free agent pitchers to pitch in KC. They need to find talent in trades. And while Benson's wife may be more annoying than Brenda Warner, he can still pitch a little. Affeldt and MacDougal are getting close to making bigger money and the Royals pen is fine with the likes of Sisco and Burgos. Adding Benson at least gives them a little more experience and a pitcher that could be their ace next year, depending on Greinke's development.

Good deal for the Royals. They'll still finish in last, but maybe this gets them a few extra wins.

TimoPerez
12-06-2005, 11:33 PM
I really think that this is leading up to some Zito talk.

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I like this deal for the Royals. Granted I don't know what it all means for them since they'll still finish in last, but I still think it's a nice deal for the Royals. Let's face it, they aren't drawing any good free agent pitchers to pitch in KC. They need to find talent in trades. And while Benson's wife may be more annoying than Brenda Warner, he can still pitch a little. Affeldt and MacDougal are getting close to making bigger money and the Royals pen is fine with the likes of Sisco and Burgos. Adding Benson at least gives them a little more experience and a pitcher that could be their ace next year, depending on Greinke's development.

Good deal for the Royals. They'll still finish in last, but maybe this gets them a few extra wins.

I guess given that he's making Paul Byrd money, Benson's contract isn't that bad. And he's still relatively young, and is probably better than anything the Royals could get in FA without paying a lot more. And the guys they gave up aren't exactly world-beaters.

But this move doesn't do anything to help them win much more than they would have anyway. Shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. IMO you either go all out for prospects or you try to make a bunch more moves to have a shot at contending. But if this is their biggest move of the offseason, then it's a wasted offseason.

Jerome
12-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Finally, Kansas City has a legitimate, #1 Ace.

:tealpolice:

"Calling all Units! Calling all units!"

JUribe1989
12-07-2005, 12:30 AM
I give the Royals credit, at least they are trying to sign people. They went after Furcal and Byrd and even offered Byrd more money than the Indians did. So, hey at least they are trying. It's not easy to get players to come to a last place team in a city that is less than spectacular.

MHOUSE
12-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Benson could have a couple career years with the Royals (by his standards that's like 14 or 15 wins) out of the NY spotlight. He's another great example of a super-hyped pitcher dealt at the deadline, signed to huge extension, and then gone after a mediocre year. (Jeff Weaver comes to mind) Affeldt could help the Mets a lot, MacDougal throws hard, but gets hit hard too. Is Zito next?

Pedro, Glavine, Trachsel, Zambrano, Seo, Zito? there will be some competition for a spot in that rotation. Always a good thing.