PDA

View Full Version : HE SAID WHAT? (Does Billy Beane think people are this dumb?)

jabrch
12-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Before leaving the winter meetings today, A's GM Billy Beane met with free agent Frank Thomas.
"He looks fantastic," Beane said. "The best I've ever seen him, actually."
From Rotoworld

Let me get this straight. BB expects anyone to buy it that a 38 year old Frank Thomas, who looks to be over 300 lbs last we saw him, is in the best shape he has ever been in? Did Beane not watch baseball back in the early to mid 90s? This is just sheer stupidity. I don't even have other words to describe it.

"The best I've ever seen him, actually."

BB is full of crap. I hope his minyons finally wake up and smell the coffee.

Fuller_Schettman
12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
He's just prepping the Bay Area press for The Big Signing (not to be confused with The Big Salad, which is what Elaine is having...)

ilsox7
12-06-2005, 09:43 PM
He looked up from his spreadsheet?

Fuller_Schettman
12-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I guess we can expect the announcement of an Oakland press conference tomorrow at 11:01 PM in Dallas...

patbooyah
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
on a fundamental level... he isn't helping his bargaining power by talking frank up

Fuller_Schettman
12-06-2005, 09:54 PM
on a fundamental level... he isn't helping his bargaining power by talking frank up

unless the deal is done pending the passing of the arbitration deadline

santo=dorf
12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
From Rotoworld

Let me get this straight. BB expects anyone to buy it that a 38 year old Frank Thomas, who looks to be over 300 lbs last we saw him, is in the best shape he has ever been in? Did Beane not watch baseball back in the early to mid 90s? This is just sheer stupidity. I don't even have other words to describe it.

"The best I've ever seen him, actually."

BB is full of crap. I hope his minyons finally wake up and smell the coffee.

You don't understand.

Frank Thomas' weight+ is currently 174, whereas during his prime it was 183. Players weigh more than they did 10 years ago.

itsnotrequired
12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
You don't understand.

Frank Thomas' weight+ is currently 174, whereas during his prime it was 183. Players weigh more than they did 10 years ago.

Take a look at the weight to VORP ratio. A heavier Thomas works in your favor.

Domeshot17
12-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Don't look for this to happen until the end of the week is my guess, anytime tommrow means they lose draft picks, even if we dont offer arbitration

Coolpapa
12-07-2005, 02:49 AM
Maybe he's never seen him before

Coolpapa
12-07-2005, 02:53 AM
He's just prepping the Bay Area press for The Big Signing (not to be confused with The Big Salad, which is what Elaine is having...)

"I wanted to talk about how we had nothing to talk about."

doublem23
12-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Maybe he's never seen him before

:rolling:

I don't know why this is so funny, but it is.

JorgeFabregas
12-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Mark Gonzales reported today that Frank looks fit and is walking without a limp.

NorthSideSox72
12-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Mark Gonzales reported today that Frank looks fit and is walking without a limp.

Indeed:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051206soxthomas,1,5568614.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

He even said Frank was walking around "Briskly" without a limp.

voodoochile
12-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Don't know what Frank you were looking at at the rally but he did look trim to me. Where does this 300 pound stuff come from?

1951Campbell
12-07-2005, 09:57 AM

Oh, SNAP!

daveeym
12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Don't know what Frank you were looking at at the rally but he did look trim to me. Where does this 300 pound stuff come from? Frank is one of those odd characters that looks fitter and better out of uniform then in it. Man he just flat out looks massive and 300 pounds in a uniform but if you see him in person (for me at was at the hunt club) he looks like a well built svelte 240-250 or so and a bit shorter. It's really one of the oddest things. I think Frank needs some custom fit uniforms made.

gobears1987
12-07-2005, 11:12 AM
I will be buying tickets to see the game when the A's come to town this year. It will be funny to contrast that crowd reaction to the one I saw when I saw (and booed) Maggliwhore when he came back with the Tigers.

pythons007
12-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I will be buying tickets to see the game when the A's come to town this year. It will be funny to contrast that crowd reaction to the one I saw when I saw (and booed) Maggliwhore when he came back with the Tigers.

If this goes through and Thomas ends up on the A's, there is no doubt that he will get a standing O everytime he comes to the plate.

PatK
12-07-2005, 01:00 PM
You don't understand.

Only way Frank weighs 174 is if he's on the moon.

misty60481
12-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Last time big Frank was at 174 was in 5th grade---

jabrch
12-07-2005, 07:12 PM
You don't understand.

Weight+.... I love it!

jabrch
12-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Don't know what Frank you were looking at at the rally but he did look trim to me. Where does this 300 pound stuff come from?

VC - he is listed at 275, during the season. From seeing him a few times late this year, I don't think he is under 300. It's not a problem - he's a big guy. I just can't believe Beane would say that - and I don't think, from looking at him, that he is under 300.

I'll miss the big guy next year - that's for sure.

RKMeibalane
12-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Who knows what's true when dealing with Billy Beane. That guy spends way too much time playing with numbers. Putting together a baseball team is about more than just signing the guys who have the best stats. It's about finding the players who want to win and want to play as a team. Surely someone would learn from what the Sox did this season. They didn't win because of talent, though they do have more than most people realize. They didn't win because of numbers. They won because they outplayed everyone. The sooner Beane understands that, the better off he will be.

I think Oakland is getting a steal with Thomas. If he's healthy, there's no reason why he can't put up .265/30/90, at the least.

Frater Perdurabo
12-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Muscle weighs more than fat. If he's been pumping serious iron, perhaps he really is 300 pounds?

Actually, in all seriousness, does anyone think that if he was so inclined, Frank could reduce his injury risk by dropping 40-50 pounds through cardio-intensive water aerobics (the water would increase resistance to burn more calories while the bouyancy would reduce stress on his foot/ankle), to bring his weight to 230-240 or less? If so, does anyone think he could then reduce the injury risk to his foot while he's playing baseball? A svelte Frank might be a healthier and more productive Frank.

Wimpy
12-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I was thinking about making a sign next year for when the Sox play Oakland.

Kenny Williams 1
Billy Beane 0

or................................

Ozzie Ball 1
Money Ball 0

These would be great signs to bring to Oakland when the Sox are playing there.

balke
12-09-2005, 02:35 AM
I'm officially on the record as saying now... Frank has a future. Jim Thome is as much a risk as Frank is, just more expensive. Without Frank we might not make the playoffs last season and win the World Series, and its disgusting to me some fan is trying to rip Beane for going after him.

Frank is the best free agent on the market. You lose half a season of Frank, but sign him cheap for 2 years, and you may have picked a superstar DH. He would be a great move for Oakland.

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 03:34 AM
I'm officially on the record as saying now... Frank has a future. Jim Thome is as much a risk as Frank is, just more expensive. Without Frank we might not make the playoffs last season and win the World Series, and its disgusting to me some fan is trying to rip Beane for going after him.

Frank is the best free agent on the market. You lose half a season of Frank, but sign him cheap for 2 years, and you may have picked a superstar DH. He would be a great move for Oakland.

I agree with your sentiment that Frank is incredibly valuable. However I don't think that you realize that Frank's career has a high chance to end at any moment once he steps on the field. Thome may be an injury risk, but he's not that big of a risk.

fquaye149
12-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Jim Thome is as much a risk as Frank is, just more expensive.

you're crazy. I love Frank, but Thome has only missed significant playing time in one season (last). Frank has consistently missed playing time since 2001. Last year he missed half the season due to a foot injury, came back for a month, then reinjured his foot and missed the rest of the season.

I don't see how you can look at that and see anything but a HUGE injury risk. IF Frank's healthy he'll be a steal, but right now he's the same kind of bet as Wade Redden, for instance.

balke
12-09-2005, 10:44 AM
you're crazy. I love Frank, but Thome has only missed significant playing time in one season (last). Frank has consistently missed playing time since 2001. Last year he missed half the season due to a foot injury, came back for a month, then reinjured his foot and missed the rest of the season.

I don't see how you can look at that and see anything but a HUGE injury risk. IF Frank's healthy he'll be a steal, but right now he's the same kind of bet as Wade Redden, for instance.

Thome is coming off surgery on his arm that he uses to swing his bat and hit balls very far with. He's a .280 hitter with a lot of 40 Hr seasons. Thomas is a .300 hitter with a lot of 40 HR seasons. Thome cost prospects and a lot of money. Frank would've cost less money. Thome is a big question mark right now, I don't know how everyone can brush it off just because its his first big injury. Both are slow. Both are going to be DH's. Both hit HR's, but if Frank is playing he is more clutch. I won't believe in this Thome over Thomas ordeal til I see it work.

With all the injuries Frank has endured Kenny's hand was forced a little to move on. But you're naive to make fun of any GM taking a chance on Frank Thomas. He's Frank freaking Thomas. I believe if the Sox hadn't sent him to the minors so early last season, and had been patient in bringing Frank back, he would've been less likely to end his season. But maybe that's just me.

FedEx227
12-09-2005, 11:06 AM
:rolling:

I don't know why this is so funny, but it is.

its actually not so far-fetched in Moneyball Beane says he barely ever watches games live, instead he has a little update clicker in the weight-room with him to give him updates of the game.

fquaye149
12-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Thome is coming off surgery on his arm that he uses to swing his bat and hit balls very far with. He's a .280 hitter with a lot of 40 Hr seasons. Thomas is a .300 hitter with a lot of 40 HR seasons. Thome cost prospects and a lot of money. Frank would've cost less money. Thome is a big question mark right now, I don't know how everyone can brush it off just because its his first big injury. Both are slow. Both are going to be DH's. Both hit HR's, but if Frank is playing he is more clutch. I won't believe in this Thome over Thomas ordeal til I see it work.

With all the injuries Frank has endured Kenny's hand was forced a little to move on. But you're naive to make fun of any GM taking a chance on Frank Thomas. He's Frank freaking Thomas. I believe if the Sox hadn't sent him to the minors so early last season, and had been patient in bringing Frank back, he would've been less likely to end his season. But maybe that's just me.

Except that Thome has cleared physical and has long since completed rehab. There is reason to believe he will reinjure it, yes, but who is at a greater risk to reinjure their nagging injury - Thome, who has not yet reinjured his arm, or Frank who HAS reinjured his ankle?

No one's making fun of Beane for taking a chance on Frank. I'm sure not. I think what Jabrch was saying is that Beane is FOS if he honestly thinks "This is the best shape he's ever seen him in"...either that, or like another poster said - he must have just now first seen Frank.

Frank may be ready to play, but the best shape of his career? *****

Clembasbal
12-09-2005, 01:58 PM

Press Conference? Is that being held in the weight room?