PDA

View Full Version : John Olerud retires

Fenway
12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Red Sox announce press conference, media goes nuts

and all they reported was

DALLAS --First baseman John Olerud, a soft-spoken former batting champion and two-time All-Star, has retired after 16 seasons, the Boston Red Sox said on Tuesday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/12/06/red_sox_1b_olerud_retires_after_16_years/

RKMeibalane
12-06-2005, 08:39 PM
It's ironic that this happened now. Rickey Henderson announced his retirement just the other day. I can't help but think of the exchange that ocurred between these two back in 2000, when both played for Seattle.

Henderson: What's with the helmet?

Olerud: Oh, nothing. I wear it all the time.

Henderson: I'll be damned. I used to play with a guy in New York who did the same thing.

Olerud: That was me.

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Red Sox announce press conference, media goes nuts

Ha, they should do this a couple more times over the next few days. Just call press conferences to announce random, inane things. Call a press conference to announce that a player has switched his uniform number or something like that just to mess with the Boston media a bit. :D:

Fenway
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Ha, they should do this a couple more times over the next few days. Just call press conferences to announce random, inane things. Call a press conference to announce that a player has switched his uniform number or something like that just to mess with the Boston media a bit. :D:

All the network stations going live with BREAKING NEWS beautiful

To show how sick Red Sox Nation is compare these 2 websites

http://trademanny.com/

http://keepmanny.com

HotelWhiteSox
12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
All the network stations going live with BREAKING NEWS beautiful

To show how sick Red Sox Nation is compare these 2 websites

http://trademanny.com/

http://keepmanny.com

That 'stick shift' story on the trade manny website is hilarious

Fuller_Schettman
12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
It's ironic that this happened now. Rickey Henderson announced his retirement just the other day. I can't help but think of the exchange that ocurred between these two back in 2000, when both played for Seattle.

Henderson: I'll be damned. I used to play with a guy in New York who did the same thing.

That really happened? :rolling: That is priceless!!!

NonetheLoaiza
12-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I was always a fan of Olerud. He was a quiet, classy individual who played hard. He had a good career.

Stoky44
12-06-2005, 11:10 PM

Did this really happen?!

NonetheLoaiza
12-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Did this really happen?!

I thought I remember hearing that story before, so as far as I know, it's true.

JUribe1989
12-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Olerud had the sweetest swing and he was a class act. He always played with the helmet on because of the brain problem. He overcame that and had an excellent MLB career. Baseball will miss him, I am shocked to see him retire. He still had a lot in him.

The_Floridian
12-07-2005, 12:16 AM
John Olerud was a terrific ballplayer and a class act.

Enjoy your retirement, John. Thanks for the great baseball. :gulp:

JGarlandrules20
12-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Aww, he was one of my favorite non-whitesox players.

Congrats to him on a great career.

Jjav829
12-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Rickey Henderson announced his retirement just the other day.

Yeah, and just in time, too. You'd hate to see him stick around too long.:rolleyes:

RichFitztightly
12-07-2005, 12:40 AM

For those asking if this story is true, I seem to remember reading in Sports Illustrated about a year ago that this story wasn't true. And the only reason why I remember that is b/c it burst my bubble because I thought it was the funniest story ever.

HotelWhiteSox
12-07-2005, 12:47 AM
For those asking if this story is true, I seem to remember reading in Sports Illustrated about a year ago that this story wasn't true. And the only reason why I remember that is b/c it burst my bubble because I thought it was the funniest story ever.

http://www.levity.com/mavericks/santa.jpghttp://www.aztecrental.com/Easter_Bunny_2.jpghttp://scrapaholics.ca/sunshop/images/products/dc21-018.jpg

You son of a bitch...

mike squires
12-07-2005, 12:58 AM
I was always a fan of Olerud. He was a quiet, classy individual who played hard. He had a good career.

Much like Harold Baines. Both carried themselves very similarly.

batmanZoSo
12-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Had a great career and played well for a long time. Just did his job. I don't appreciate 93 with Toronto or 2000 with Seattle...luckily he didn't have a chance to hurt us with Boston this year, though I did cringe whenever he came up.

Corlose 15
12-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Does anyone else still hate this guy because of 1993 and 2000? :wink: I remember hating him on that Blue Jay team, him and Juan Guzman:angry: :angry: :angry: .

soxfanreggie
12-07-2005, 02:09 AM
I always "hated" him for playing well against the Sox...or well he seemed to always play well against us, but I always respected him for how he played the game.

Iwritecode
12-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Had a great career and played well for a long time. Just did his job. I don't appreciate 93 with Toronto or 2000 with Seattle...luckily he didn't have a chance to hurt us with Boston this year, though I did cringe whenever he came up.

I noticed that too. I really got sick of seeing his face on the opposing team EVERY time the Sox got to the post-season.

I guess since the Sox finally beat him he has nothing left to prove. :wink:

(half-teal on that last statement)

mjharrison72
12-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Helluva ballplayer. Best of luck, John.

TDog
12-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Actually, I heard the story from one of Henderson's former teammates.

Considering that no White Sox team has made it to the postseason since 1983 without facing Olerud, this retirement has to be considered the end of an era.

RKMeibalane
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Did this really happen?!

Yes, it did. It was featured briefly in a Sports Illustrated article later that same summer.

Edit: Maybe it didn't happen afterall. Damn.

RKMeibalane
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Really? It's interesting that it took four years for them to clear that up.

Fuller_Schettman
12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Sounds like it is an urban legend (http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/submit/Patterson_Harry1.stm)

MHOUSE
12-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I always liked Olerud and enjoyed watching him play. In this world of Manny Ramirez, Barry Bonds, and Terrell Owens, you never heard a peep out of this guy. The last few years I used to love seeing him jump on board with a team right before the season started and he always end up having an impact. Thanks for being a class act John!

Frater Perdurabo
12-07-2005, 07:19 PM
IIRC, It was my understanding that Olerud wore the helmet because he suffered a near-fatal brain anureysm as a child, and didn't want to risk getting hit in the head with a batted ball while playing the field.

Olerud was one of those players you always had to respect.

I'm excited that some scouts say that Sox prospect Ryan Sweeney has a sweet Olerud-like swing. If he could develop into an Olerud-like player for the Sox, we could have ourselves a real prize; someone to take over at first base so Konerko could move to DH when Thome retires.

RKMeibalane
12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
IIRC, It was my understanding that Olerud wore the helmet because he suffered a near-fatal brain anureysm as a child, and didn't want to risk getting hit in the head with a batted ball while playing the field.

Olerud was one of those players you always had to respect.

I'm excited that some scouts say that Sox prospect Ryan Sweeney has a sweet Olerud-like swing. If he could develop into an Olerud-like player for the Sox, we could have ourselves a real prize; someone to take over at first base so Konerko could move to DH when Thome retires.

I've been keeping an eye on Sweeney. He could be a special player.

As for Olerud, you are correct. He suffered a brain anureysm while in college, at Washington State University. Apparently, he collapsed following a workout, and the anureysm was discovered a short time later.

34 Inch Stick
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
He was a professional and a gentleman.