The Dude
12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=piratesredstrade&prov=st&type=lgns

very interesting trade...

edit: whoops...Casey not carey!

patbooyah
12-06-2005, 07:38 PM
wow.

this might be one case where i don't agree that trading hitting for pitching is a good thing.

veeter
12-06-2005, 07:42 PM
This is pretty significant for the Pirates. They actually AQUIRED a pretty big name, instead of dealing one.

patbooyah
12-06-2005, 07:44 PM
This is pretty significant for the Pirates. They actually AQUIRED a pretty big name, instead of dealing one.

i know - one of the few trades where they actual do well for themselves.

whats up with the reds and pirates, though? do they only trade within their division?

Chisox003
12-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Well since it's down to them and LA, I would like to see the Pirates sign Billy Mueller now. That would at least give them a respectable lineup, and who knows, maybe they're not done adding.

Go.....Pirates.....? :?:

veeter
12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm not sure of their histories, but if that's all they do, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

California Sox
12-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Maybe this means Adam Dunn ends the pretense of being an outfielder and begins the pretense of being a 1b on his way to dh.

Reds then have outfield of Kearns, Griffey, and Wily Mo Pena. This could be a classic baseball trade where each team dealt out of depth to get a player they wanted in a thin area for the team. That said, Casey>Williams.

NonetheLoaiza
12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Go.....Pirates.....? :?:

I, for one, hope the Pirates do well next year. They are on the right track it looks like finally, but they still have alot more to do. Tracy and Casey are good acquisitions, so hopefully that trend continues.

Go Pirates.

PKalltheway
12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Gee, couldn't the Reds have gotten a slightly better pitcher for Casey instead of Williams? Couldn't they have gotten Woody Williams instead? It isn't a huge upgrade but still...

Jerome
12-06-2005, 11:14 PM
TGISF

Thank God I'm a Sox fan. Is this what Reds fans have to look forward to this offseason? Dave Williams?

JUribe1989
12-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Has theis deal been considered official yet? Or is it still just a rumor?

The_Floridian
12-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Wow. Huge deal for the Pirates. They get a big time clubhouse leader and some protection for Bay. Casey's one of the good guys in baseball, and he's a Pittsburgh local to boot. Terrific move.

Seems like the Pirates are finally getting their act together. They brought in Tracy, who I always felt was an underrated manager, and at his first press conference he states that this team has the talent to win. When was the alst time anybody heard that out of Pittsburgh? Next thing you know, Bay's signed to a multi-year deal and Casey's coming to town.

Good job, Pittsburgh. Good for yins. :redneck

dropkick371
12-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Has theis deal been considered official yet? Or is it still just a rumor?It's pending a physical on both Williams and Casey

It'll give the Pirates a reasonable bat, as well as a 1B that's actually reasonable at defense, as opposed to the current platoon. It's a good trade for the Bucs. I... don't know how much the Reds really benefit.

From what I've read, Mueller's going to the Dodgers, so Littlefield will, if he's actually serious about not being the worst GM in baseball, have to look elsewhere to patch up the hole at 3B.

socko82
12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
If the Pirates are picking up all of Casey's salary this is a great trade for the Reds. Similar to our trade of Lee for Pods. Opens a big chunk of payroll to spread around to fill other needs and allows them to keep all 4 of their OF's by moving Dunn to 1st base. IMO Casey is one of the most overrated players in baseball for what he makes, he's Mark Grace but is paid like he's Paul Konerko.

getonbckthr
12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
What will this do for Ryan Freel? Does it open any spots for him in the lineup, or he is still on the bench? If he is still benched, and since it appears El Duque will stay here maybe we could do Viscaino and Harris for Freel??

Mohoney
12-07-2005, 10:24 AM
What will this do for Ryan Freel? Does it open any spots for him in the lineup, or he is still on the bench? If he is still benched, and since it appears El Duque will stay here maybe we could do Viscaino and Harris for Freel??

I would do that in a heartbeat. Freel's definitely a "grinder".

dropkick371
12-07-2005, 10:43 AM
If the Pirates are picking up all of Casey's salary this is a great trade for the Reds. Similar to our trade of Lee for Pods. Opens a big chunk of payroll to spread around to fill other needs and allows them to keep all 4 of their OF's by moving Dunn to 1st base. IMO Casey is one of the most overrated players in baseball for what he makes, he's Mark Grace but is paid like he's Paul Konerko.
From what I've heard, and this is still rumor as the trade hasn't technically gone through yet, the Reds are picking up a decent chunk of Casey's salary.

Update: Reds are eating 2 million of Casey's 7 million dollar contract.

StepsInSC
12-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Well Pittsburgh is almost DOUBLING its salary this year (all the way up to about 50 million).

It's a pretty respectable deal.

The buccos are also going after Milton Bradley, and trying to fill their gaping hole at third base. Word has it they have about 15 million to spend (most of it 3b alone??) but there's not much out there. Mueller obviously, but they've also been talking to the Rangers about Blalock.

I feel sorry for any player that comes to this city that isn't from here.