PDA

View Full Version : Grady Little named Dodgers manager

Fenway
12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Former Red Sox manager Grady Little was hired Tuesday to manage the Los Angeles Dodgers, who had been without a field boss for more than two months.

The 55-year-old Little beat out Jim Fregosi, John McLaren, Manny Acta and Joel Skinner for the job. He succeeds Jim Tracy, who parted ways with the Dodgers on Oct 3 -- the day after the club completed its second-worst season since moving west from Brooklyn in 1958.

Little managed the Red Sox in 2002-03, compiling a 188-136 record. He was second-guessed for leaving starting pitcher Pedro Martinez in too long in Game 7 of the 2003 AL championship series, which the New York Yankees won in 11 innings.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/06/report_grady_little_to_manage_dodgers?mode=PF

NonetheLoaiza
12-06-2005, 06:42 PM
::slow, patronizing clap::

It took them long enough...don't know if it's the right hire, but at least they have a manager now.

Fenway
12-06-2005, 06:50 PM
reaction of fans in Boston

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=2246

and Yankees fans snicker

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?p=2936971#post2936971

TheKittle
12-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Joel Skinner a one time replacement for Pudge. IIRC, he went to the Yankees with Britt Burns for Joe Cowley.

SABRSox
12-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Wow. How underwhelming. That's the Dodgers for you.

nccwsfan
12-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Wow. How underwhelming. That's the Dodgers for you.

It's hard to believe how far the Dodgers have fallen off of the baseball map in recent years. Even harder to believe that the Angels have overtaken them as the team to see in SoCal...

chaerulez
12-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Why don't more teams try and take a chance on a guy with no managerial experience? It worked well for us with Ozzie. Just about anyone would be better than Grady Little.

Fenway
12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Why don't more teams try and take a chance on a guy with no managerial experience? It worked well for us with Ozzie. Just about anyone would be better than Grady Little.

I have mixed feelings about Grady. Yet in a crazy way he did the Red Sox a favor. Who knows if Boston would have beaten the Marlins and then would Boston have gone out and gotten Schilling and Foulke. The way 2004 played out in a way made Gradygate worth it.

SABRSox
12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
It's hard to believe how far the Dodgers have fallen off of the baseball map in recent years. Even harder to believe that the Angels have overtaken them as the team to see in SoCal...

They have one of the worst ownerships in baseball, while the Angels have one of the best. That's the key thing.

JUribe1989
12-06-2005, 11:29 PM
I thought Grady was a good manager. You realize he got the 2003 Red Sox all the way to game 7 of the ALCS. That's a huge accomplishment. He made one mistake and if Pedro had pitched out of that inning the media and fans would praise Grady Little as a genius. So I really think that Red Sox fans should **** about how he was a bad manager. IMO NO he wasn't a bad manager and YES most Red Sox fans are idiots. Good hire.

Chicken Dinner
12-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I thought Grady was a good manager. You realize he got the 2003 Red Sox all the way to game 7 of the ALCS. That's a huge accomplishment. He made one mistake and if Pedro had pitched out of that inning the media and fans would praise Grady Little as a genius. So I really think that Red Sox fans should **** about how he was a bad manager. IMO NO he wasn't a bad manager and YES most Red Sox fans are idiots. Good hire.

Agreed, he made 1 mistake, granted, it was a huge one, but 1 mistake. I'd take him over a lot of current managers.

Fenway
12-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Agreed, he made 1 mistake, granted, it was a huge one, but 1 mistake. I'd take him over a lot of current managers.

The Red Sox had no choice but to fire him, he never could have stepped foot in Fenway Park again. I remember how they crucified Don Zimmer after 1978.

The biggest fear Red Sox fans had in 2003 was that in the playoffs Grady would have a brainfart. The entire planet knew that Pedro is toast after 100 pitches and he kept him in hit after hit.

I wish him well in LA....but that team is in a mess. Second worse record since they moved from Brooklyn last year and hard to believe they started something like 14-2. Coletti a good guy too but the McCourt's are in WAY over their heads.

pythons007
12-07-2005, 11:21 AM
The Dodgers have had a brainfart the past 5 years.

Fenway
12-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Grady gets a warm welcome from the LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke7dec07,1,6465047.column?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

wdelaney72
12-07-2005, 12:24 PM

I remember that game vividly. It was more than a "mistake". It was a complete brain fart. The previous inning, Pedro had already shown signs of losing it. He deserved to get fired for that decision.

ma-gaga
12-07-2005, 01:21 PM
I remember that game vividly. It was more than a "mistake". It was a complete brain fart. The previous inning, Pedro had already shown signs of losing it. He deserved to get fired for that decision.

Didn't Grady specifically ignore a memo/meeting from management saying, "Pull Pedro after 7 innings, or 100 pitches" in that game?

Sure, if he finishes the inning, he's a genius.

But he didn't, and he isn't.

Jerko
12-07-2005, 01:26 PM
http://img.shopping.com/images1/di/6a/43/76/30/38/646b65317a443656714163483678504c77-100x100.jpg

Fenway
12-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Didn't Grady specifically ignore a memo/meeting from management saying, "Pull Pedro after 7 innings, or 100 pitches" in that game?

Sure, if he finishes the inning, he's a genius.

But he didn't, and he isn't.

That is what Dave Wallace the pitching coach ( who still has a job ) said

As I said before it wasn't the ALCS that made Boston fans angry at Little

This article sums it up nicely

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5148452
Talk about a gag gift.

Merry Christmas, Dodgers fans. That's not a lump of coal in your stocking, it's your new manager, Grady Little.
Trust me, you'll wish you got the lump of coal.