PDA

View Full Version : Gammons says Frank to A's a good idea...

soxfanreggie
12-06-2005, 04:01 PM
At least Gammons said Frank with the A's on his way to Cooperstown, but I would hate to see Frank with another team...

depy48
12-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Gammons said Frank to the A's not O's. That I can see, since Oakland does need offense, and Thomas makes his home in Las Vegas.

depy48
12-06-2005, 04:03 PM
However, yes it would be devastating to see the Big Hurt with another team. Either way, I wish him the best of luck, and tears the cover off the ball.

soxfanreggie
12-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Sorry about that...duly corrected. My hearing isn't what it used to be.

eriqjaffe
12-06-2005, 04:18 PM
However, yes it would be devastating to see the Big Hurt with another team. Either way, I wish him the best of luck, and tears the cover off the ball....against everybody but the Sox, of course. Nothing personal, but I hope Sox pitchers own him.

RockyMtnSoxFan
12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
...against everybody but the Sox, of course. Nothing personal, but I hope Sox pitchers own him.

Not me. I want him back, and if they don't bring him back I hope he makes them pay.

NonetheLoaiza
12-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I'll miss him wherever he goes. Hopefully, he can eventually make his way back to the Sox and finish his career the right way.

I'm definitely going to try and see him hit his 500th, wherever he is playing. Hopefully, he can get there.

Here's to Frank hitting 500. :gulp:

Ventura Fan 23
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I really hope that if he signs with another team, he has a great year, but not better than Thome :smile:

churlish
12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
The only problem with Frank going to Oakland is how the media is going to praise the great Billy Beane after Thomas hits 40 homers and 100+ RBIs.

Taliesinrk
12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Not me. I want him back, and if they don't bring him back I hope he makes them pay.

second that.. I hope he goes 5-5 agasint the Sox with 5 dongs..

then the sox pull out a close one after crede scores following an at-bat where he gets hit by a pitch and actually awarded first base.

Taliesinrk
12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
At least Gammons said Frank with the A's on his way to Cooperstown, but I would hate to see Frank with another team...

is this online or TV? if so when/ and what context was it said in??

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 04:55 PM
is this online or TV? if so when/ and what context was it said in??

It was Gammon's "Most Important Thing" at the end of BBTN. Earlier in the show Gammons was talking about the A's and briefly mentioned that Frank to the A's could get done soon.

ChiSoxLifer
12-06-2005, 05:07 PM
I think Frank is a Hall of Famer already. There's nothing I hate more than seeing great players try to extend their careers to reach a milestone only to have "substitute" level production. Considering he accomplished all he did without special help, his numbers, with the exception of the years he was injured, are phenomenal. If those silly north siders think Santo should be in the HOF, I believe Santo should be holding the door open for Frank as he strolls in. Unfortunately, I have zero influence on any voters and am resigned to the fact that Frank will continue his pursuit of the Hall of Fame with another team. I wish him the best.

rbeze09
12-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I wish Frank the best in whatever happens. If he plays against the sox sometime I hope he plays great, but I'd never want the sox to lose

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 05:54 PM

His return or lack thereof won't be based on the Sox desire not to have him back, it'll be based on the facts that

1) The A's can offer a ton more ABs than the Sox with Paulie/Thome
2) The Sox have to either resign him by tomorrow or lose the ability to do so until May because the alternative is arbitration, in which he'd make a minimum of a $6M salary. They could resign him by tomorrow, but.....see #1

It's an unfortunate fact, but a fact nonetheless. And it's got nothing to do with the Sox not wanting Frank back. They simply can't rely on him.

Deadguy
12-06-2005, 08:49 PM
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051206&content_id=1277491&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

This article indicates that Beane has admitted to already meeting with Frank! Expect him to be signed on Thursday. I'm happy Frank isn't retiring.

A's general manager Billy Beane isn't often uncertain about anything, but he admitted to being so Tuesday when discussing his morning meeting with free agent slugger Frank Thomas and his representatives.

But after conferring with assistant GM David Forst as to whether going on the record about the meeting was appropriate, talk he did.
"He looks fantastic," Beane said of Thomas, who turns 38 next May. "The best I've ever seen him, actually."

"That's part of our due diligence," Beane said of exploring Thomas' medical issues.

Even if Thomas gets a clean bill of health, it's unlikely that the A's would make a formal offer before Thursday. The deadline for clubs to offer their own free agents arbitration is midnight (ET) Wednesday, and the White Sox aren't expected to tender Thomas. By waiting for the deadline to pass before signing Thomas, the A's wouldn't have to surrender a compensatory draft pick, as they did when signing free-agent righty Esteban Loaiza last week.
Beane wouldn't get into detail about what the A's might offer Thomas, but it's safe to assume it would be an incentive-laden deal that would fall well short of the $8 million Thomas made with Chicago last season.

RKMeibalane
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
It was Gammon's "Most Important Thing" at the end of BBTN. Earlier in the show Gammons was talking about the A's and briefly mentioned that Frank to the A's could get done soon.

It probably will be, since tomorrow was the original deadline by which the Sox were going to decide what to do with Frank. I'm assuming that they have decided not to bring him back, so I would expect Frank to sign with Oakland within the next two weeks, or so.

RKMeibalane
12-06-2005, 08:57 PM
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051206&content_id=1277491&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

This article indicates that Beane has admitted to already meeting with Frank! Expect him to be signed on Thursday. I'm happy Frank isn't retiring.

I'm excited and happy for Frank. As much as I hate to see him leave, it was obvious that his time on the South Side had ended with the acquisition of Thome. As long as he's healthy, I think he'll have a big year in the Bay Area. It should be interesting seeing how Frank reacts to being in the same area as Barry Bonds, given that Frank is clean, and Bonds is, well... Bonds.

wassagstdu
12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
There's nothing I hate more than seeing great players try to extend their careers to reach a milestone only to have "substitute" level production.

If Frank Thomas is healthy he will hit a ton. If not he will retire and join the Sox organization. He won't be hanging on.

SoxSideIrish
12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
then the sox pull out a close one after crede scores following an at-bat where he gets hit by a pitch and actually awarded first base.

granted, the pitch was high and tight, but he did lean into it pretty well too. nothin against joe, i love the guy, but i just cant argue with that one. him getting tossed however was a bunch of crap...

Deadguy
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
There's nothing I hate more than seeing great players try to extend their careers to reach a milestone only to have "substitute" level production.

Frank isn't washed up though, he's injured. He's had an OPS of over .900 the last three years, and has shown flashes of dominance in that timeframe. He still has power, and he still has a great batter's eye, which could make him one of the better hitters in the league next year. He's lost bat speed, and will never hit .300 again, but he shown he can still be an asset.

Just because the White Sox decided to cut ties with him, doesn't mean he should have to retire. He has the right to play until he feels he has nothing left to offer.

RKMeibalane
12-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Frank isn't washed up though, he's injured. He's had an OPS of over .900 the last three years, and has shown flashes of dominance in that timeframe. He still has power, and he still has a great batter's eye, which could make him one of the better hitters in the league next year. He's lost bat speed, and will never hit .300 again, but he shown he can still be an asset.

Just because the White Sox decided to cut ties with him, doesn't mean he should have to retire. He has the right to play until he feels he has nothing left to offer.

Agreed. Frank's health is the issue, not his ability. Granted, his health could significantly impair his ability to play, but we have evidence of that happening yet. If Juan Gonzalez can get chance after chance to keep playing, then Frank deserves the same opportunity.

I'm looking forward to May 22. That is the first day that Oakland comes to Chicago, and Frank returns.

ChiSoxPatF
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
The only problem with Frank going to Oakland is how the media is going to praise the great Billy Beane after Thomas hits 40 homers and 100+ RBIs.

Truer words have never been spoken.

JohnBasedowYoda
12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Going up against Frank in Oakland would make that trip extra-hellacious

RKMeibalane
12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Truer words have never been spoken.

I'm waiting for jeremyb1 to come here and run his mouth.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2005, 10:41 PM
As pointed out before if Frank's primary objective is to hit 500 home runs, playing half your games in a pitchers park with a ton of foul ground isn't the best way to do it.

Lip

chisox77
12-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Flight#24's post was excellent, and provided the reason why Thome was acquired in a deal.

But make no mistake, I will miss Frank Thomas. He is my favorite player ever for the White Sox.

It's just that the Sox were hamstrung by his injuries for the better part of the last five years (with 03 being the exception). Thome, though injured last season, has been healthier, provides left-handed power and balance, and is a little bit younger at 35. It was the smart move to make, but still painful for obvious reasons (Thomas and Rowand - good luck and best wishes to them both).

ND_Sox_Fan
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
As pointed out before if Frank's primary objective is to hit 500 home runs, playing half your games in a pitchers park with a ton of foul ground isn't the best way to do it.

Lip

Lip, I agree with this assessment; however, he will still hit more HRs out there with 20 ABs per week out there as opposed to 6-8 with the Sox. Unfortunately, there probably aren't many starting options for him outside of Oakland.

From 2002-2004 in Oakland, Frank has hit .321 with 3 HRs and 3 doubles in 28 at bats. He added another HR in Oakland last year as well (a real bomb). I just seem to remember him hitting well out there.

kevin57
12-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Seeing Frank on any other team would be painful and...weird, but I'll take it better with him on the A's and not the Twinkies. That would be :o:

ND_Sox_Fan
12-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Seeing Frank on any other team would be painful and...weird, but I'll take it better with him on the A's and not the Twinkies. That would be :o:

Another positive to having him outside of the division is a greater chance of him being traded back to the Sox at some point during the season.

FarWestChicago
12-07-2005, 12:17 AM

LipFrank didn't seem to mind the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum at all when Ode and I saw him blast a Zito :smokin: pitch into the upper deck this last summer. :cool:

RedFoxSoxFan
12-07-2005, 01:22 AM
I'd be sad if thomas is leaving
Glad to see him end his career with the sox
It'd be bittersweet if Frank went to oakland

I'm starting to see how we could be right on the cusp of a Championship era:

But how great would that Sox - A's rivalry be? That'd be amazing baseball.

Coolpapa
12-07-2005, 03:07 AM
I'd rather listen to the death rattle of a sick puppy than listen to Gammons. I wish White Sox fans would pay him zero attention, they know more about baseball tham him