PDA

View Full Version : Major Bombshell trade in the works? Prior for Abreu.

It's Time
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
If I'm the Cubs and Rich Hill is the second coming of Jesus, I make this deal if I'm the Cubs.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/sports/baseball/mlb/philadelphia_phillies/13338004.htm

oeo
12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
If I'm the Cubs and Rich Hill is the second coming of Jesus I make this deal if I'm the Cubs.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/sports/baseball/mlb/philadelphia_phillies/13338004.htm

No way...the Cubs all of sudden are thinking of trading Wood AND Prior?! Why in the world would they trade Prior...they might as well trade Pie for Pierre because they obviously don't believe in the guy. Put together a bullpen, but then trade your best starter? Smooth move, Cubs, I hope they do it.

It's Time
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
No way...the Cubs all of sudden are thinking of trading Wood AND Prior?! Why in the world would they trade Prior...they might as well trade Pie for Pierre because they obviously don't believe in the guy. Put together a bullpen, but then trade your best starter? Smooth move, Cubs, I hope they do it.

But what has Prior really proven? He has been hurt and to get a player like Abreu, IMO, one of the 5 best players in the game, is something to look at.

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Holy moly!!! The three members of the Cubs organization I would consider untouchable are Prior, Lee and Ramirez.

Unregistered
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Prior seems to be one of those guys that'll be lights out the second he puts on another uniform. Look for him to be healthy and dominant the moment he leaves that piss factory. If he stays, it's a few more years of simulated games and rehab.

Not sure if I'm joking yet...

The Deacon
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
3-4-5 of Abreu, Lee and Aramis for Men would be pretty devastating though.

It would behilarious if they traded Prior and he turned into the pitcher he could be..

oeo
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
But what has Prior really proven? He has been hurt and to get a player like Abreu, IMO, one of the 5 best players in the game, is something to look at.

Uhm...only that he's going to be a hell of an ace. If they're worried about his occurring injuries, they need to look into finding a new manager. There's no way the Cubs trade Prior, I couldn't even believe there were rumors about them trading Woods.

oeo
12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
3-4-5 of Abreu, Lee and Aramis for Men would be pretty devastating though.

It would hilarious if they traded Prior and he turned into the pitcher he could be..

Without Prior, though, they have a rotation of what?
Zambrano
Wood
Maddux
Rusch?

I don't even know anymore...all I know is Zambrano and Prior are all they've got. No pitching and they're not going to win games, IMO.

spawn
12-06-2005, 10:37 AM
No way I make that trade. If Prior is healthy, the guy is dominant. You can find an offensive threat like Abreu. There aren't too many arms around like Prior's.

It's Time
12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Uhm...only that he's going to be a hell of an ace. If they're worried about his occurring injuries, they need to look into finding a new manager. There's no way the Cubs trade Prior, I couldn't even believe there were rumors about them trading Woods.

:KW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=18#)
"Give me a call, Jim. How about a Borchard or Dye for Prior swap"?:)

Unregistered
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
There's no way the Cubs trade Prior, I couldn't even believe there were rumors about them trading Woods.
http://www.gmcanada.com/static/english/vehicles/2004/buick/scramble04/img/left_column_tiger-woods.jpg
"I'll just use my 'no-trade' clause."

patbooyah
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM

well, it seems to me that prior has proven he is very injury prone and while he may pile up quality starts, he is not the dominant pitcher that everyone expected him to be. he has fallen short of expectations.

i don't think trading pitching for bats is a good idea, but if the cubs have a master plan, the cubs have a master plan.

mjharrison72
12-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I agree that he's probably going to be a heck of a pitcher someday. This past season, his injuries, for example, taking the batted ball off the elbow, seemed to be less a matter of him being injury-prone and more a matter of just some bad luck. That said, I would consider Abreu an "untouchable" from the Phillies standpoint, and wouldn't even consider this move unless there were other pieces they were trying to fill.

munchman33
12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
If I'm the Flubs, I pull the trigger on this in a heartbeat. And then I send Wood to Texas in a deal to net me Zito from Oakland.

Abreu is exactly what that team needs. Fast, great defender, good stick, left-handed....and their rotation wouldn't be that bad. Not great, but good enough to compete.

Zambrano
Zito
Rusch
Maddux
Hill

With an improved pen and now improved offense, at least the Flubs would be moving in the right direction.

So I definately hope this doesn't happen.

D. TODD
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
The article only mentioned that the Cubs did not say no. It also said that they would consider Jerome Williams and "sweeteners" including Rich Hill for Abreu.

Over By There
12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
:shakes head in disbelief:

:thankgod

MUsoxfan
12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm hoping they trade the Passion of the Prior. That way I don't have to hear about him every day and twice as much every 5th day

Baby Fisk
12-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Prior seems to be one of those guys that'll be lights out the second he puts on another uniform. Look for him to be healthy and dominant the moment he leaves that piss factory. If he stays, it's a few more years of simulated games and rehab.

Not sure if I'm joking yet...
I totally agree with this. If the Mets could only spare a few thoughts on getting a SP, Prior would rock Shea Stadium. Better there than Yankee Stadium.

Mohoney
12-06-2005, 11:58 AM
http://www.gmcanada.com/static/english/vehicles/2004/buick/scramble04/img/left_column_tiger-woods.jpg

"Fur Shizzle!"

Dan Mega
12-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Prior isn't as injury prone as people think. Sure he was sore 2 seasons ago, but last year he got nailed. If someone thinks getting nailed by a line-drive in their elbow is somehow "injury prone"...

Anyway I wouldn't do this. Don't hate me for saying it, but when he is healthy do the Sox have a better righthander?

kittle42
12-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Anyway I wouldn't do this. Don't hate me for saying it, but when he is healthy do the Sox have a better righthander?

No.

It's Time
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
No.

That's a whole lot of love for a guy who lives on the DL.

Tekijawa
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/5/2/5434.jpg

"If they only would have given me my chance!"

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Prior isn't as injury prone as people think. Sure he was sore 2 seasons ago, but last year he got nailed. If someone thinks getting nailed by a line-drive in their elbow is somehow "injury prone"...

He's like Jermaine Dye in that respect. The problem is that IIRC didn't he have achilles/elbow issues in both of the past 2 years? It may be an unrelated fluke injury, but the line drive did keep him from proving that he can withstand a full major league workload.....although under Dusty one can generally get that in about 2 months of work.

Of course, if he went through a full season healthy, he'd be untouchable.

Tekijawa
12-06-2005, 12:46 PM
That's a whole lot of love for a guy who lives on the DL.

He's good... even if he is on the Cubs... Derek Lee is good to in case you were wondering. The Key to being a White Sox Fan is being able to admit that... Manny Ramirez is good, But I can boo the **** out of him when he comes to the plate, but I respect him for being able to hit a baseball 8 rows behind the seats I get in the OF!

It's Time
12-06-2005, 12:50 PM
He's good... even if he is on the Cubs... Derek Lee is good to in case you were wondering. The Key to being a White Sox Fan is being able to admit that... Manny Ramirez is good, But I can boo the **** out of him when he comes to the plate, but I respect him for being able to hit a baseball 8 rows behind the seats I get in the OF!

I never said he wasn't good. I said he has been on the DL at some point in each of the last 3 seasons. Kerry Wood is good as well but he can't get on the mound. Guys like Abreu are not a dime a dozen and if he can be had for Prior and the Cubs have the pitching to absorb it, you do it.

buehrle4cy05
12-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Exactly. I respect guys like A-Rod and Prior because they are damn good players.

But it doesn't mean I have to like them.

Unregistered
12-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Don't hate me for saying it, but when he is healthy do the Sox have a better righthander?Well, that's a hell of a qualifier. If Albert Belle was healthy, he'd probably still be DH'ing for some team. Half the value of a great player is their ability to stay healthy. If Prior can't do that, then any righthander who can get through a full season qualifies as "better."

caulfield12
12-06-2005, 01:03 PM

You are taking on a pretty big contract in Abreu, something like $13 million per season. If I were the Cubs, I would ask for Utley or Rollins too.

I would think the Cubs would look back to 2003 and remember what got them to the playoffs, starting pitching.

Trading Prior only weakens this team, despite his injuries and inconsistencies, he is still the best hope for the future, along with Zambrano.

palehozenychicty
12-06-2005, 01:11 PM
I think that Utley and Howard are "untouchable" on the Phils. Rollins has an exorbitant deal and doesn't get on base well, but he's a catalyst for that team e.g. Pods for us. When he got hot, Philly got hot.

PatK
12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
I would think the Cubs would look back to 2003 and remember what got them to the playoffs, starting pitching.

What got them there was timely hitting and a capable leadoff hitter. That, and that the Astros completely folded in September.

D. TODD
12-06-2005, 01:44 PM
I would have a hard time dealing Prior. I think i would pass on Abreu who I really like as an all around player. Too much upside with Prior. Hopefully if he ever stays healthy consistently it is after he leaves the scrubs. The article seemed to think that the deal could still be in the works without prior. Jerome Williams and Rich Hill as the centerpiece from the scrubs. In that scenario Philly should not even consider it!

TheOldRoman
12-06-2005, 02:10 PM
No.
:contreras:
"Have we met?"

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Hendry would have to be a complete idiot to trade one of the best pitchers in the NL for ANY position player. Their rotation without Prior would be a joke. They're going in exactly the opposite direction from the Sox. Pitching wins championships.

I hope they do it.:)

TheOldRoman
12-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Hendry would have to be a complete idiot to trade one of the best pitchers in the NL for ANY position player. Their rotation without Prior would be a joke. They're going in exactly the opposite direction from the Sox. Pitching wins championships.

I hope they do it.:)
Abreu is a really good player. If their rotation is a joke after they trade Prior, then what is it for the 3-4 months annually he is on the DL without the support of Abreu.

Im not saying I would make this trade, I just think most people grossly overvalue Prior. He is great when he is healthy, but he is never healthy. A good team could not place Prior any higher than a 4th starter. Not because the other three pitchers are better than him, but because you need at least three really good pitchers to carry the team for the half of the season Prior misses. Unless the Cubs plan on getting two more really good starters, Prior does little more than sell t-shirts for them. They will never go anywhere if they can't get 30 starts combined out of their two "aces". But wait, wasn't Sergio Mitre lights out in Prior's spot?

Lip Man 1
12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Ah yes probably from the same site the said the Cubs 'got' Barry Zito! LOL

Lip

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Abreu is a really good player. If their rotation is a joke after they trade Prior, then what is it for the 3-4 months annually he is on the DL without the support of Abreu.

Im not saying I would make this trade, I just think most people grossly overvalue Prior. He is great when he is healthy, but he is never healthy. A good team could not place Prior any higher than a 4th starter. Not because the other three pitchers are better than him, but because you need at least three really good pitchers to carry the team for the half of the season Prior misses. Unless the Cubs plan on getting two more really good starters, Prior does little more than sell t-shirts for them. They will never go anywhere if they can't get 30 starts combined out of their two "aces". But wait, wasn't Sergio Mitre lights out in Prior's spot?Most of the time Prior missed last season was because of the line drive he stopped. That's not what I'd call injury prone. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Good pitching is always worth more than good hitting.

cheeses_h_rice
12-06-2005, 02:59 PM

Post of the week.

:bandance:

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 03:02 PM
If I'm the Cubs and Rich Hill is the second coming of Jesus, I make this deal if I'm the Cubs.

That's like saying that if McCarthy is the real deal then we should trade Buehrle. I'm not saying Buehrle is the same as Prior, but their values to their respective organizations is the same.

The Cubs would be insane to do this deal. You don't trade a 25-year-old with Prior's talent for a 31-year-old corner outfielder just because the pitcher suffered a couple injuries, one of which was a complete fluke.

patbooyah
12-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Most of the time Prior missed last season was because of the line drive he stopped. That's not what I'd call injury prone. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Good pitching is always worth more than good hitting.

but his arm was nagging him throughout the season, and for the last two months his leg was bothering him.

EastCoastSoxFan
12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else reporting this other than the Philadelphia Daily News and their "sources" at the winter meetings?
Bear in mind that this is the same paper that, after the Flyers got knocked out of the playoffs a few years ago with a terrible performance on May 5, came up with the headline "STINKO DE FLYO" the next day (and once, after the Eagles won a game on an easy field goal miss by the Cowboys, came up with "SHANK YOU VERY MUCH")...

whitesoxfan1986
12-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Prior is a damn good pitcher when healthy. I have no idea why the Cubs are even thinking about trading him. How about Garland and prospects for Prior. The Cubs would jump on that one. I don't think the Cubs should dangle his name out there on trade rumors for a couple more years. If they think he can't stay healthy then trade him now and sell high. But they are the Cubs and he will blow out his arm in the next couple of years and they will have nothing. If I am Jim Hendry, I would trade Kerry "Balsa" Wood NOW. But, for the same reason stated earlier, they will end up with no prospects/talent for him either.

Dan Mega
12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I never said he wasn't good. I said he has been on the DL at some point in each of the last 3 seasons. Kerry Wood is good as well but he can't get on the mound. Guys like Abreu are not a dime a dozen and if he can be had for Prior and the Cubs have the pitching to absorb it, you do it.

He pitched 200+ innings in 2003, refresh my memory, when was he on the DL? I don't remember that.

Fuller_Schettman
12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
How incredibly Cub-like to claim Zambrano as untouchable! Why don't they just go and get Ron Artest to play CF.

What a bunch of losers!

spiffie
12-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Seems if you're going to offer up Prior for someone, why not offer him to Boston for Manny straight up? Figure the amount they were willing to pay Furcal a year and the amount off the books of Prior and they could more than handle the salary concerns.

getonbckthr
12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Prior for Abreu? Interesting. If you can somehow get Zito I jump on it. Pitching won't be that weak:

Zito, Zambrano,Maddux,Rusch and Williams (assuming Prior for Abreu and Wood and Hill involved to bring Zito to the northside)If they really need another SP they can get El Duque cheap.

Domeshot17
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Trade is not happening according to Jayson Stark

Baseball officials who have talked to the Cubs and Phillies were laughing Tuesday over reports that those two teams had any serious intention of exploring a Prior-for-Abreu trade.

EastCoastSoxFan
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I rest my case concerning the Philadelphia Daily Spews.
Definitely not a media publication to be taken uncritically if they're the only ones reporting a "story"...

It's Time
12-06-2005, 04:55 PM
ESPN insider had this to say:

"Phillies told Hendry the price for Abreu was Prior or Zambrano and Hendry walked away but not before assuring the Phillies the Cubs could afford to take all of Abreu's money off the Philly books".

TDog
12-07-2005, 03:33 AM
ESPN insider had this to say:

"Phillies told Hendry the price for Abreu was Prior or Zambrano and Hendry walked away but not before assuring the Phillies the Cubs could afford to take all of Abreu's money off the Philly books".

More teams should treat Hendry this way.