PDA

View Full Version : White Sox trade Rumors?

gr8mexico
12-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Well I got this from mlbtraderumors.com . But I thought it was very interesting

Another team in the running for Crawford is the White Sox. They're not entirely sold on Brian Anderson in center field for a defending World Champion, and the Devil Rays are asking for Brandon McCarthy and/or Josh Fields.

McCarthy pitched with a vengeance in September and October of 2005, tossing 43 innings of 1.69 ERA ball. He led the Minor Leagues in strikeouts in 2004.

Third baseman Josh Fields is in the Sox's top ten prospect list for sure. However, he was just OK at Double A Birmingham in '05, hitting .252/.341/.409 in 477 at-bats. Fields is a hard worker, but still needs plenty of seasoning in the minors. The White Sox would have control of Crawford until the year 2010. Let the Rays have Fields atleast with Crawford you know he can play in the big leagues.

Whitesox4ever
12-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Would love to have Crawford on the Sox but dont think its going to happen..

Tekijawa
12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
If they trade McCarthy for anyone other than Albert Pujols, Johan Santana, or Alex Rodrigez... I will be upset. Carl Crawford isn't worth McCarthy by himself, I don't think I'd trade a McCarthy Game worn Jersey for him...

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 10:30 AM
OK, if the price of Carl Crawford is Josh Fields, you run, don't walk to do the deal. If that "and/or" is really an "and", then you run, don't walk away from the deal.

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 10:31 AM
McCarthy is a Jon Garland without the headcase attitude of previous years. Crawford is a good player but the Sox will not give up McCarthy.

Unregistered
12-06-2005, 10:44 AM
The Sox have held on to McCarthy for this long, and passed on enough trades requesting him - KW isn't going to trade the guy any time soon. Certainly not for Carl Crawford.

Any trade rumor you read that involves McCarthy is bull****. With that bit of knowledge, you'll save yourself a lot of time sifting through those websites.

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2005, 11:41 AM
I'd start the negotiations by offering Fields. If the Rays actually said yes, I'd do it in a second. If they said no, I'd offer them their choice of any minor league pitcher in the Sox system (other than McCarthy, of course) along with Fields. If they still said no, I'd offer Fields plus any TWO minor league pitchers in the Sox system (again, besides McCarthy).

Crawford splits indicate he's performed best when batting second, which is just what Ozzie says he wants:

2002-2004 (292 ABs): .315 AVG, .340 OBP, .483 SLG, .823 OPS
2005 (255 ABs): .329 AVG, .354 OBP, .518 SLG, .872 OPS

Also, he's not a product of the turf in Tropicana; his 2005 road splits are better than his home splits:

Away: .314, .344, .506, .850
Home: .288, .318, .430, .748

He also seems to like hitting at the Cell:
2002-04: .425, .465, .650, 1.115
2005: .429, .429, .929, 1.358

Granted, he wouldn't be facing Sox pitching at the Cell, but, looking at the numbers, in 2005 against the Sox, 3 of his 4 runs, 6 of his 10 hits, his only double, both his homers and two of his 3 steals came at the Cell. From 2002-2004 against the Sox, 9 of his 12 runs, 17 of his 29 hits, all three of his doubles, two of his four homers, and 8 of his 10 steals came at the Cell. Since 2002, Crawford has performed better at the Cell than at any other stadium other than Ameriquest/Arlington.

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd start the negotiations by offering Fields. If the Rays actually said yes, I'd do it in a second. If they said no, I'd offer them their choice of any minor league pitcher in the Sox system (other than McCarthy, of course) along with Fields. If they still said no, I'd offer Fields plus any TWO minor league pitchers in the Sox system (again, besides McCarthy).

Crawford splits indicate he's performed best when batting second, which is just what Ozzie says he wants:

I love it. The only question I'd have is how well Carl can play CF. Because I really don't want to see Pods there. Plus, you'd lock in another cornerstone piece for a few years at below market rates, although I admit I don't know his contract, I just know he signed it a year or 2 ago and it's for a few years yet.

Mohoney
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
If they said no, I'd offer them their choice of any minor league pitcher in the Sox system (other than McCarthy, of course) along with Fields. If they still said no, I'd offer Fields plus any TWO minor league pitchers in the Sox system (again, besides McCarthy).

I don't think we can trade Liotta or Lumsden after we just lost Gio and Haigwood, so I would have to consider them off limits, too. I just can't see us moving that much lefty pitching in the same offseason. If we can sell the Devil Rays on some of the right-handers that we have, then let's do it.

If Fields is a centerpiece to this deal, I really hope that Crede changes his agent.:redneck

caulfield12
12-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I got this from mlbtraderumors.com . But I thought it was very interesting

Another team in the running for Crawford is the White Sox. They're not entirely sold on Brian Anderson in center field for a defending World Champion, and the Devil Rays are asking for Brandon McCarthy and/or Josh Fields.

McCarthy pitched with a vengeance in September and October of 2005, tossing 43 innings of 1.69 ERA ball. He led the Minor Leagues in strikeouts in 2004.

Third baseman Josh Fields is in the Sox's top ten prospect list for sure. However, he was just OK at Double A Birmingham in '05, hitting .252/.341/.409 in 477 at-bats. Fields is a hard worker, but still needs plenty of seasoning in the minors. The White Sox would have control of Crawford until the year 2010. Let the Rays have Fields atleast with Crawford you know he can play in the big leagues.

If the D-Rays are actually ditching Huff, Gathwright and Julio Lugo, they need to shore up their future somehow, but I donīt see how trading Crawford, who they had resigned long-term, would make them a better club.

The White Sox are not going to give them McCarthy, and Fields alone will not get it done.

I could see them asking for some combination of Fields, Valido and Sweeney or Owens, with any TWO of those four going.

That would make for a pretty interesting trade...I would be inclined to do it, but you also have blocked the outfield temporarily.

In that case, you move Crawford to LF as a replacement for Pods in 2007 with Young in CF and Anderson in RF. Owens is likely to be a 4th outfielder, platoon player.

A Crawford-Pods-Dye outfield would be pretty sweet for one season.

Palehose13
12-06-2005, 01:28 PM
OK, if the price of Carl Crawford is Josh Fields, you run, don't walk to do the deal. If that "and/or" is really an "and", then you run, don't walk away from the deal.

Agreed 100%.

pmck003
12-06-2005, 01:38 PM
If the marlins are asking for Young in dealing Pierre, I couldn't believe the Rays would want anything less. Much rather have Crawford than Pierre.

Taliesinrk
12-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Wow.. being able to exclude McCarthy, and if we could stay away from dealing pitching would make this move absolutely awesome. I think that to get Crawford for Fields + 1-2, maybe 3 (depending on who) would be be something to jump on. As if I don't already, I would give huge props to Kenny is he could pull that off.

Perhaps the D-Rays are looking for a power bat out of our organization. Joe Borchard certainly comes to mind...

Optipessimism
12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Come on now everybody, nobody really believes that this is true do they? Fields AND McCarthy maybe, but the Rays aren't going to center a Crawford deal around just Josh Fields.

Now IF the Sox were to make some sort of deal to send Garland out of here, I'm sure we could get a very nice return and probably some pitching. If we in turn shipped that out to TB we could make a push at Crawford, but then what do we do now? Try to send even more minor leaguers to AZ for Vazquez? Sign Washburn? Go with El Duque as our fifth starter?

getonbckthr
12-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Give them CRede, Sweeney, Ragowski and a minor League pitcher for Crawford. Then sign Nomar for a 2 yr deal until Fields is ready.

getonbckthr
12-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Come on now everybody, nobody really believes that this is true do they? Fields AND McCarthy maybe, but the Rays aren't going to center a Crawford deal around just Josh Fields.

Now IF the Sox were to make some sort of deal to send Garland out of here, I'm sure we could get a very nice return and probably some pitching. If we in turn shipped that out to TB we could make a push at Crawford, but then what do we do now? Try to send even more minor leaguers to AZ for Vazquez? Sign Washburn? Go with El Duque as our fifth starter?
Everyone thinks i'm crazy but I think El Duque has value this offseason. When you see an unproven AJ BUrnett get 5/55 that must be a tipoff somewhat that the market for pitching is weak thus increasing Duque's value.

antitwins13
12-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Give them CRede, Sweeney, Ragowski and a minor League pitcher for Crawford. Then sign Nomar for a 2 yr deal until Fields is ready.

No way! Crede is an up and coming star and Fields will never be better then he he is. Keep in mind Fields played college ball. It's not like he's really young. Send Fields, McCarthy, and "The Viz" to TB for Crawford and if they don't bite add in Hermanson.

Mickster
12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
No way! Crede is an up and coming star and Fields will never be better then he he is. Keep in mind Fields played college ball. It's not like he's really young. Send Fields, McCarthy, and "The Viz" to TB for Crawford and if they don't bite add in Hermanson.

:kukoo:

Chisox003
12-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Absolutely not.

Edit: I dunno, compared to antitwins proposal, this looks like a steal.

Both make me gag, however.

Taliesinrk
12-06-2005, 05:08 PM

:tealpolice:

Taliesinrk
12-06-2005, 05:09 PM

:tealpolice: :tealpolice: ........................... double team

maurice
12-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Wow, 20 replies to a rumor from mlbtraderumors.com. This must be the offseason.

santo=dorf
12-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow, 20 replies to a rumor from mlbtraderumors.com. This must be the offseason.

I know.

People, this is the same website talking about a potential Mulder-Buehrle swap.

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME THERE!!! :kukoo:

MadetoOrta
12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Carl Crawford is a stud who is locked up for another 4 years at about $5 million which is a steal. That said, McCarthy? No way. McCarthy is cheap and a potential 15 game winner - NOW. If the Sox lose Garland next year, they need McCarthy here.

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
If the D-Rays are actually ditching Huff, Gathwright and Julio Lugo, they need to shore up their future somehow, but I donīt see how trading Crawford, who they had resigned long-term, would make them a better club.

As I said before, I think the Rays should consider trading Crawford. Here's why:

Looking toward their future, they have basically 9 good position players in place. They need to make a decision on which ones to keep and build around and which ones to ship out. The 9 players being Crawford, Baldelli, Gathright, Gomes, Huff, Cantu, Lugo, Upton and Young. If I was GM of the Rays, this is what I would do. Keep Gomes (LF), Baldelli (CF) and Young (RF) for your outfield. Keep Cantu (2B) and Upton (SS-assuming his defense develops to the point where he can play there everyday) in the infield. Lugo's value will probably never be higher than it is now. If the rumor is true that they can get Andy Marte for him they should jump all over that. Then shop Crawford. The teams will line up to get this guy and you can have a good, young OF for the future without him. Let the 20+ teams that will be interested line up and get the bidding war going. Get the best young pitching you can get for him. Take Huff and Gathright and trade them for whatever pitching you can get as well.

If they can pry Marte away for Lugo, they'll have an outfield with Gomes, Baldelli and Young; an infield with Marte, Upton and Cantu. They are all very young and ideally would mature together. 1B and DH can be filled with some cheap veterans. You hope that Crawford, Huff and Gathright bring you a couple good young pitchers to build with. Add in Kazmir and maybe someone like Fossum develops and their team is in good position for the future. Of course the shame of it all is that these players would probably develop just in time for the Rays to be forced into shipping them out to cut payroll.

Fuller_Schettman
12-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Of course the shame of it all is that these players would probably develop just in time for the Rays to be forced into shipping them out to cut payroll.

Cue singers: "Every-body hay-ates Chris!"

Tragg
12-07-2005, 01:29 AM

That's the level of talent you pay for a future hall of famer that is currently in his prime. For a no risk player.

Aaron Rowand's a better hitter than this guy. Is there something not in his stats?

.331 OBP (4 year average - .320 OBP, including a pathetic 5% walk rate), 15 homers (33 in 2100 at bats)---->that's a stud? What am I missing about this player? His power could increase, but with plate discipline that bad after 4 years, that has little chance to improve to acceptable levels.

Yea he has steals -wonderful. But what this team needs is players who can get on base in front of Thome and Konerko.

Mohoney
12-07-2005, 02:01 PM

Washburn would be a nice 2nd lefty to compliment Buehrle in our rotation, but at what cost?