PDA

View Full Version : Old Collyer's Eye Black Sox Articles Missing from UofI

Hitmen77
12-06-2005, 08:59 AM
From today's Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0512060230dec06,1,760810.story?coll=chi-news-hed

schmitty9800
12-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I always thought it was weird that they wouldn't let anyone back to the stacks...unless they were a James scholar, or grad student. What makes them more trustworthy than a regular student? If anything grad students would be more pissed off at the university seeing as they don't treat their graduate employees very well. And James scholars are no different except for a higher GPA and the obligation of writing more papers each year.

TommyJohn
12-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Comiskey's lawyers took them. They'll turn up when Shoeless Joe Jackson sues.

knocko94
12-06-2005, 12:02 PM
I was a James scholar (for a year), and I'm not very trustworthy.:cool:

DenverSock
12-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Actually, Sen. Dick Durbin stole them to prove that George W. Bush is actually Hitler!

:rolling::roflmao::roflmao::rolling:

Hitmen77
12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
If these documents are irreplaceable, I'm surprised they haven't been scanned and saved electronically. Maybe that just too big of a task to scan everything old periodical the library has.

peeonwrigley
12-06-2005, 02:20 PM
I was a James Scholar and went back into the stacks all of zero times. When I needed something from that monstrosity I would just ask a librarian to assist me.

The size of that library is overwhelming. I'm sure there's a way for anyone to sneak back into the stacks if they really so desire. Its not like stealing the Mona Lisa here.

santo=dorf
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Would now be a bad time to plug my newest ebay auction?

FielderJones
12-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Actually, Sen. Dick Durbin stole them to prove that George W. Bush is actually Hitler!

Interesting how some political content gets a free pass.

DenverSock
12-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Interesting how some political content gets a free pass.

I'm sorry, but I thought the joke and the reference were obvious.

DenverSock
12-06-2005, 07:30 PM
If these documents are irreplaceable, I'm surprised they haven't been scanned and saved electronically. Maybe that just too big of a task to scan everything old periodical the library has.

I sit on the boards of several historical institutions at the Universtiy of Denver involved in ongoing digitalization. It's going to take decades for us to scan and catalogue our much smaller collections. I can only assume that U of I has much more to do and hence will take longer. I can only grieve for the loss of these periodicals and the precious information they contained.

knocko94
12-06-2005, 07:36 PM
I sit on the boards of several historical institutions at the Universtiy of Denver involved in ongoing digitalization. It's going to take decades for us to scan and catalogue our much smaller collections. I can only assume that U of I has much more to do and hence will take longer. I can only grieve for the loss of these periodicals and the precious information they contained.

The University of Illinois has the largest academic library in the world among public schools. Only Harvard and Yale have more. I believe UI passed the 10 million mark in terms of books/journals/etc last year.

Paulwny
12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
From Newsday/AP
URBANA, Ill. -- Two rare copies of a sports newspaper, including issues dealing with the 1919 Chicago White Sox gambling scandal, have been returned to the University of Illinois library.

The copies of Collyer's Eye -- which was credited with exposing the scandal -- were found on a table in the Urbana-Champaign campus' library about 9 p.m. Tuesday, said Karen Schmidt, the associate university librarian for collections

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-white-sox-missing-papers,0,7226646.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

DenverSock
12-07-2005, 11:13 PM
From Newsday/AP
URBANA, Ill. -- Two rare copies of a sports newspaper, including issues dealing with the 1919 Chicago White Sox gambling scandal, have been returned to the University of Illinois library.

The copies of Collyer's Eye -- which was credited with exposing the scandal -- were found on a table in the Urbana-Champaign campus' library about 9 p.m. Tuesday, said Karen Schmidt, the associate university librarian for collections

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-white-sox-missing-papers,0,7226646.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

Thank Gawd!!!!!!

:supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance::superna na::bandance::):)

bigfoot
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
From Newsday/AP

So..........The conspiracy theory that the Cubune was behind this "missing" documents is just that a theory. That the content of the Collyer's Eye would have been "found" on, oh....say, April 1, 2006 .......just in time to steal a headline or two from the start of the Reign of White Sox, part one?