PDA

View Full Version : ESPN very complimentary of the Sox today

HotelWhiteSox
12-06-2005, 01:57 AM
And deservedly so :D:

But yeah, it always gets posted when the media disses the Sox, so I thought I'd share what I saw today. There was a Baseball Tonight special during the day and an ESPNEWS Winter Meetings 1 hour special (mainly watched this) with the same crew members. I can't say that I watched all of both, but here is a Sox related summary:
-Compliments on the Sox 2005 season and World Series victory, never hurts to hear a Rooney call be replayed.
- Segment devoted to the White Sox, mainly for analyzing the Thome/Rowand deal and resigning of PK.

*Kruk and Reynolds liked the deal. Kruk said the most important move was keeping the pitching staff intact and still having McCarthy/Hernandez at the end with one being a luxury as a 6th guy. They agreed that Rowand was a gold glove caliber defender but thought that resigning Konerko was big and that you need protection for him in the lineup, something that Thome provides. White Sox also getting a character guy in return.
*Phillips liked the move as well. He said that when the Mets made the Series in 2000 he made the mistake of just trying to return the same exact guys, and that when you do that, you actually make yourself worse. What the Sox are doing is improving themselves.
*Gammons gave a shoutout to Reinsdorf and the Sox organization. Said how undervalued the White Sox farm system is when you trade a guy like Reed the season before, trade away Rowand and prospects, and still have Anderson (called him a great player/1st round pick), and guys in the system like Owens (who he said is tearing it up in winter ball and that Ozzie is considering him have him as his leadoff man) and Young.

So, the overall jist of it was they were complimentary of the Sox and moves of the offseason (so far). I didn't hear anything about future moves though, but again, I didn't watch the whole show. The only iffy thing was when they seemed to compare Thome/Konerko as trying to copy (they used a different word, forget which one) Boston's Ortiz/Ramirez punch, but that might not be a negative thing. I know that they or any of the national media approving of the Sox or their moves means nothing in the end, but it's nice to get respect, though if a World Series title didn't do it, I don't know what would.

The show(s) in general wasn't as bad as usual either. I didn't watch it all, but I didn't see the big East coast bias. They spent time on the Mets, but they've had big offseason activity. Also, Kruk and Reynolds and the rest of the staff seemed like they did their homework rather than just making dumb generalizations and trying to outdo each other with idiotic predictions. Maybe that ombudsman is actually helping?

EDIT: To emphasize most of the stuff I heard was on the ESPNEWS show. From reading the thread in the Talking Baseball forum, it sounded like BBTN sucked as was as normal as usual.

DumpJerry
12-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Well, so much for these "experts." What does Chips have to say about the off-season moves?:cool:

caulfield12
12-06-2005, 08:30 AM
And deservedly so :D:

But yeah, it always gets posted when the media disses the Sox, so I thought I'd share what I saw today. There was a Baseball Tonight special during the day and an ESPNEWS Winter Meetings 1 hour special (mainly watched this) with the same crew members. I can't say that I watched all of both, but here is a Sox related summary:
-Compliments on the Sox 2005 season and World Series victory, never hurts to hear a Rooney call be replayed.
- Segment devoted to the White Sox, mainly for analyzing the Thome/Rowand deal and resigning of PK.

*Kruk and Reynolds liked the deal. Kruk said the most important move was keeping the pitching staff intact and still having McCarthy/Hernandez at the end with one being a luxury as a 6th guy. They agreed that Rowand was a gold glove caliber defender but thought that resigning Konerko was big and that you need protection for him in the lineup, something that Thome provides. White Sox also getting a character guy in return.
*Phillips liked the move as well. He said that when the Mets made the Series in 2000 he made the mistake of just trying to return the same exact guys, and that when you do that, you actually make yourself worse. What the Sox are doing is improving themselves.
*Gammons gave a shoutout to Reinsdorf and the Sox organization. Said how undervalued the White Sox farm system is when you trade a guy like Reed the season before, trade away Rowand and prospects, and still have Anderson (called him a great player/1st round pick), and guys in the system like Owens (who he said is tearing it up in winter ball and that Ozzie is considering him have him as his leadoff man) and Young.

So, the overall jist of it was they were complimentary of the Sox and moves of the offseason (so far). I didn't hear anything about future moves though, but again, I didn't watch the whole show. The only iffy thing was when they seemed to compare Thome/Konerko as trying to copy (they used a different word, forget which one) Boston's Ortiz/Ramirez punch, but that might not be a negative thing. I know that they or any of the national media approving of the Sox or their moves means nothing in the end, but it's nice to get respect, though if a World Series title didn't do it, I don't know what would.

The show(s) in general wasn't as bad as usual either. I didn't watch it all, but I didn't see the big East coast bias. They spent time on the Mets, but they've had big offseason activity. Also, Kruk and Reynolds and the rest of the staff seemed like they did their homework rather than just making dumb generalizations and trying to outdo each other with idiotic predictions. Maybe that ombudsman is actually helping?

EDIT: To emphasize most of the stuff I heard was on the ESPNEWS show. From reading the thread in the Talking Baseball forum, it sounded like BBTN sucked as was as normal as usual.

Thatīs just dumb, the reason we beat the Red Sox is because we changed and did not put all of our payroll into the offense. Johnny Damon is the perfect example of an overhyped talent whose reality is something less.

They really lucked into Ortiz...he was not the same offensive force in Minnesota he has been with the Sox.

And thereīs at least a 50-50 chance they wonīt even hold onto Manny.

The funny thing is that Thome and Konerko are two of the best individuals in baseball...Manny, not so much. I donīt think commentators consider these intangibles enough in a statistics driven world.

SOXintheBURGH
12-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Thatīs just dumb, the reason we beat the Red Sox is because we changed and did not put all of our payroll into the offense. Johnny Damon is the perfect example of an overhyped talent whose reality is something less.

They really lucked into Ortiz...he was not the same offensive force in Minnesota he has been with the Sox.

And thereīs at least a 50-50 chance they wonīt even hold onto Manny.

The funny thing is that Thome and Konerko are two of the best individuals in baseball...Manny, not so much. I donīt think commentators consider these intangibles enough in a statistics driven world.

When did the Sox get Ortiz? :?: In these parts, the Red Cubs have Ortiz.

chisoxfanatic
12-06-2005, 10:24 AM
What does Chips have to say about the off-season moves?:cool:

I dunno...Let's create a poll! :D:

mccoydp
12-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Don't worry, ESPN will be thrashing the Sox much sooner than later, I'll guarantee.
Give them a day or two, and they'll be fawning all over their favorites again.