PDA

View Full Version : Sox Pride Dvd Review

chisoxfan83
12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
The dvd itself was really well done. It showed highlights of the whole season. Some of the interviews in it were the same as the world series dvd. It did spend alot of time on the season as a whole. Great viewing party too. Bonus features I just breezed through them now. The whole player introduction video. Although during the introductions they cut out the song that follows elk hunt, he's a pirate and put some weird song in there probably copyright reasons here but goes all the way through thunderstruck. It has the whole gogo white sox video from the scoreboard, the win or die trying video(with the clinching of the pennant) with the lord of the rings music, parade coverage and the grinder advertising tv campaign commercials. All in all pretty well done its definately a must have. Only drawback is the music being different in the intros.

chisoxmike
12-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I got the DVD today from Grandstand. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I do like the regular season recap. The playoffs and world series were kind of breezed by. Some same footage and interviews used from the World Series Film. Actually, the Sox Pride DVD felt like a extended version of the World Series film.

I have to say, Hawk narration was awful. I love Hawk, but I didn't think this was his finest moment.

The player intros are just as they are in the park, except the Pirates of the Carrabien song isn't used. The player intros go all the way to when Gene Honda says "Sox fans its time to play ball." Only Sox fans would get a kick out of the fact the the player intros are on a DVD.

The parade footage is about 4 mins in length. Looks like it was cut footage from the WS Film. The trailer-like month by month recap used toward the end of the season and playoffs are in the special features too.

Overall, for a regular season recap this is the DVD to get, for the postseason, get the WS Film, hell, get both.

:supernana:

chisoxfanatic
12-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I got the DVD today from Grandstand.

I don't mean to hijack the thread; but, speaking of Grandstand, has anyone had any luck in getting the World Series patch there lately? I went in to get it put on my Konerko jersey, and they said that they're all sold out and won't be getting in any for a couple of weeks!

What gives?

chisoxmike
12-05-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread; but, speaking of Grandstand, has anyone had any luck in getting the World Series patch there lately? I went in to get it put on my Konerko jersey, and they said that they're all sold out and won't be getting in any for a couple of weeks!

What gives?

I saw them on the wall in the back. Are you looking for the WS logo that they wore during the WS?

Law11
12-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Nice party. Good too see Bobby and Neal... Roper was pretty funny.
Good crowd...

Photo attached.

chisoxfanatic
12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
I saw them on the wall in the back. Are you looking for the WS logo that they wore during the WS?

Yep. And the same one that ChiSoxGirl got put on her jacket.

chisoxmike
12-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Yep. And the same one that ChiSoxGirl got put on her jacket.

I think I saw them there. I went from Comiskey Park to Grandstand so I saw a lot of merchandise in in short time.

PS- The field looks strange with snow covering it and the seats torn out with the lights off.

chisoxfanatic
12-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I think I saw them there. I went from Comiskey Park to Grandstand so I saw a lot of merchandise in in short time.

PS- The field looks strange with snow covering it and the seats torn out with the lights off.

What's their hours? And will they allow me to see my season ticket seat for next year?

Chicago
12-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Great time tonight... loved the SOX PRIDE DVD... Never Thought I would be taking a pic with the WS Trophy. :supernana: I wanted to pick it up and hold it over my head... :D:

chisoxmike
12-05-2005, 11:20 PM
What's their hours? And will they allow me to see my season ticket seat for next year?

10-6. Your seat may not be there. But Heather, do you really not know what the view is from your seat?:redneck

chisoxfanatic
12-05-2005, 11:21 PM
10-6. Your seat may not be there.

Ok, kool! I might have to go on over tomorrow while I am out looking at the WORLD SERIES TROPHY at Navy Pier after work! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
12-05-2005, 11:23 PM
10-6. Your seat may not be there. But Heather, do you really not know what the view is from your seat?:redneck

It's for sentimental reasons. :cool:

jdm2662
12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
I felt it was a prequel per say of the World Series video. I expected more regular season footage as this was the White Sox season in review. My friend never seen the World Series film, and he wondered why the Uribe catch wasn't on the Sox Pride show. I just wish I get there early enough to get a pic with the trophy. In any case, it was nice to get together to celebrate a championship. I can't wait for next year's premiere. :D:

TheKittle
12-05-2005, 11:36 PM
At a card show late weekend I saw a bunch of 2005 WS patches. $15 I think. The next show is on Wed. If anybody wants one let me know. I live in the LA/OC area.

I also want to thank whoever mentioned that Buffalo Roam store was having a sale on White Sox WS items. I got the lockerroom shirt and a long sleeve WS champions shirt for the price of one lockerroom shirt.

ChiSox Fan 68
12-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Went to the DVD party tonight - I thought Sox Pride was great! It will be nice to add it to the collection. The party was fun and it was a blast watching the DVD with a lively crowd. Getting our picture with the World Series trophy made the night perfect!

MUsoxfan
12-06-2005, 12:21 AM
I was pretty disappointed when the intro music wasn't the same, otherwise I was pleased with the video.

On a sidenote, there was a guy at the DVD party tonight that threw an absolute fit when he stubbed his toe on a seat screw. He was screaming and yelling at the ushers demanding the screw be removed immediately. The screw wasn't removed. He'll probably file a lawsuit.:mad: Myself and the people around me had a good laugh at his expense though:cool:

DumpJerry
12-06-2005, 12:33 AM
How about those teeny boppers in the middle near the back who screamed at Jenks like he was Paul McCartney in "A Hard Day's Night?" They may love and want to marry him (their words), but the dude is married with kids.......

MUsoxfan
12-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Also, I didn't like the over-emphasis on beating the Cubs. I like beating the Cubs as much as any other guy, but this video helps re-enforce stereotypes. I wish they would have covered all the games where we beat the Indians as much as the 3 games we beat the Cubs.

whitesoxwilkes
12-06-2005, 09:06 AM
How about those teeny boppers in the middle near the back who screamed at Jenks like he was Paul McCartney in "A Hard Day's Night?" They may love and want to marry him (their words), but the dude is married with kids.......

They were like 3 rows in front of me. Egads they were annoying.

smalls17
12-06-2005, 10:10 AM
does anyone know what retailers (besides grandstand) are selling this and for how much?

ChiSoxGirl
12-06-2005, 10:13 AM
does anyone know what retailers (besides grandstand) are selling this and for how much?

I would imagine the same places that sold the MLB DVD (Best Buy, Borders, Wal-Mart, Target, Osco, etc.) will carry this one, as well. It's retailing for $19.95, but certain places may sell it for less than that. The MLB DVD retailed for the same price, but I saw it at Osco for $12.99 just the other day... AFTER I shelled out $19.99 at Borders a few days before! :angry:

whitesoxwilkes
12-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I would imagine the same places that sold the MLB DVD (Best Buy, Borders, Wal-Mart, Target, Osco, etc.) will carry this one, as well. It's retailing for $19.95, but certain places may sell it for less than that. The MLB DVD retailed for the same price, but I saw it at Osco for $12.99 just the other day... AFTER I shelled out $19.99 at Borders a few days before! :angry:

For those of you that are Costco members, both DVDs are there for $11.99.

Paxson93
12-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Channel 2's website still has the video up (they put it on after the rally) of the intro with the correct music.

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=17353@wbbm.dayport.com

The song used in the DVD was similar, but not nearly as good....

AZChiSoxFan
12-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Is there anywhere you can buy the Sox Pride DVD online? I can't seem to find it on the Grandstand site.

anewman35
12-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Is there anywhere you can buy the Sox Pride DVD online? I can't seem to find it on the Grandstand site.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Hart_Sharp_Video_Sox_Pride_The_Story_of_the_World_ Champion_2005/q/loc/17250/202096638.html or http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2151668&cp=1452347.1452706.2154627&parentPage=family

SoxFan78
12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
I cant believe they dont have the Pirates of the Caribbean song on the DVD. Oh well, beggers cant be choosers. I have it on my computer and also on the parade tape I made so at least its there.

Sounds like a great DVD though, im gonna go out to Borders right after work and get me a copy!

BeviBall!
12-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Borders didn't have them in. I found it at Tower and I'm not that enthralled with it. 2 out of 4 stars.

Lots of stuff from the other DVD was in here and they glossed over a ton of important parts of the regular season. They hardly mentioned Frank... still, it had enough to warrant spending $15.

Law11
12-06-2005, 11:50 AM
I threw a few photos up of the event last night in the photo library for those that couldnt make it. The lobby one is the line to see the trophy.

ChiSoxGirl
12-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I threw a few photos up of the event last night in the photo library for those that couldnt make it. The lobby one is the line to see the trophy.

Great pictures. Thanks. :smile:

BeefyD
12-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Also, I didn't like the over-emphasis on beating the Cubs. I like beating the Cubs as much as any other guy, but this video helps re-enforce stereotypes. I wish they would have covered all the games where we beat the Indians as much as the 3 games we beat the Cubs.

I agree. As much as its always nice to see us beat the Cubs, they kinda forget to mention that we split the series with them. So, really, it wasn't that big of a feat.
As for the DVD, I was hoping for more mid-season highlights than the same WS info as on the Official MLB dvd. But hey, if I had my way it would be a box set with the highlights of EVERY Sox game (3 minutes per game x 174 games = 522 minutes of footage, or 8.7 hours). Would only be a 5-disc set. :)

ajismyhero
12-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I thought it was a great time, good to see so many fans supporting the team a month after the season was over. Surprised they didn't show the Uribe 2nd out, 9th inning catch in game 4, but i guess they couldn't cram everything in.

At the risk of sounding like a groupie/teenage girl in the middle screaming at Jenks, does anyone know where Cotts lives in Chicago? I read that he battles the cold like the rest of during the offseason and he'd definitely be a cool guy to grab a drink with.

Also, since all you on this site are more knowledgeable than most, does anyone know when the 13game Ozzie package is going to be available? It's not up on the site yet.

soxfan43
12-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Anyone pick up a copy yet downtown anywhere? I'm hoping to avoid a wild goose chase and pick one up at my first stop after work tonight.

duke of dorwood
12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Tower Records on Wabash-just got mine there

hellenicsoxfan
12-06-2005, 03:38 PM

I agree. As they were showing it last night, I couldn't help but think why such an emphasis on the crosstown losers. It makes them out too be way more important that they are. I would have used the time used on the cubs to show how the Sox dominated the division, finally beat the Twins and how they swept the Indians out of the playoffs on the last weekend of the season.

dirty_k
12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
The guy who stubbed his toe never came back- I bet they upgraded his seat (or maybe they just shoved him out the back door).
Those three girls couldn't have been that bad - they seemed to be having a lot of fun and I liked the crowd interaction. Roepper (sp?) was a good mc too.
I would love a 2005 White Sox song cd but doubt a good one will be made.
And I had never seen or heard about that play where Ozuna stole home on a pickoff to first - how did that happen (or what was the date so I can look it up onn this site)?

MUsoxfan
12-06-2005, 03:51 PM
The guy who stubbed his toe never came back- I bet they upgraded his seat (or maybe they just shoved him out the back door).

He ended up sitting one section over and a few rows down. Probably scared he would die if he returned to the same row:rolleyes:

fox23
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Went to the DVD party tonight - I thought Sox Pride was great! It will be nice to add it to the collection. The party was fun and it was a blast watching the DVD with a lively crowd. Getting our picture with the World Series trophy made the night perfect!

I agree, a fun time, but I couldn't understand why there were some people getting up during the movie and taking pictures of the screen. After all, we all did get a copy of the DVD anyway. Why would someone take a picture of a movie at a theater, especially when you own that very same movie?

BV2005
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
At the risk of sounding like a groupie/teenage girl in the middle screaming at Jenks, does anyone know where Cotts lives in Chicago? I read that he battles the cold like the rest of during the offseason and he'd definitely be a cool guy to grab a drink with.

He lives in Lincoln Park somewhere

soxfan43
12-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Anyone else really like in the bonus section, the parade high lights? It looks like it was shot from home videos, since its all jumpy and you can hear the players talking, but I like it.

Law11
12-06-2005, 09:30 PM
I agree, a fun time, but I couldn't understand why there were some people getting up during the movie and taking pictures of the screen. After all, we all did get a copy of the DVD anyway. Why would someone take a picture of a movie at a theater, especially when you own that very same movie?

I took a few just to show some friends what the setup was. I actually uploaded a few on the photo library here.

fox23
12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I took a few just to show some friends what the setup was. I actually uploaded a few on the photo library here.

Ah, very good, now it makes a little sense to me.

bayzbol44
12-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I saw last nigt on Comcast. I was disappointed in what they showed. The music through the highlights was bad. They could have made this a LOT better.

I probably will buy it to show my kid, when he grows up. Does anyone know where in the burbs you can find it?

SoxFan78
12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I saw last nigt on Comcast. I was disappointed in what they showed. The music through the highlights was bad. They could have made this a LOT better.

I probably will buy it to show my kid, when he grows up. Does anyone know where in the burbs you can find it?

They should have it at all Best Buys, thats where I got mine. You have to get the DVD version of it though, if not just for the extras. I think its well worth the 20 bucks. You get the player intros, the year in review video, Go Go Sox video, extended highlights from the parade, and ALL the Sox grinder commercials. AWESOME!

Iwritecode
12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
And I had never seen or heard about that play where Ozuna stole home on a pickoff to first - how did that happen (or what was the date so I can look it up onn this site)?

It happened during the "core of the core" outing on September 8th. Probably the most exciting moment of the game. :(:

Here's the game recap. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2973)

RadioheadRocks
12-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Awesome time at the DVD premiere! Great crowd, got my pic with the trophy, had some Connie's pizza and the program rocked! Lots of those Sox World Series Champion Santa caps in the crowd as well! (myself included!!!) :D: Suffice it to say a good time was had by all!!!

rookie
12-07-2005, 11:49 PM
I agree about what's been said about the Cubs parts, Uribe's catch, and the copying from the WS DVD. You definately buy it for the regular season part...and the grinder rules.

But I did like the parade part with the construction workers "sweeping the sidewalk." That wasn't it the WS DVD. And AJ comparing his strikeout to Casey at the Bat. That also wasn't on the WS DVD.

It did allow me to relive the anguish of the end of the season when we were just a little bit nervous. That quote about "no team in MLB history has given up a 15 game lead and not won their division" made me remember what a pain I was to be around in September.

Of course now, I am a complete joy to be around. :wink:

JoeClutch24
12-08-2005, 09:15 AM
I had to go buy this DVD right after school on Wednesday. I thought is very well done. I loved how it applied the grinder rules into a certain segmen of the season. I also appreciated Hawk Harrelson narrating the DVD giving a sense of local color. I think it is awesome just to hear Hawk and D.j. John and Ed's calls throughout the course of the season because they all are great. I give the DVD 2 thumbs up.