PDA

View Full Version : Buck Martinez to manage Team USA in WBC

Baby Fisk
12-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Official news release:
Buck Martinez, the former Toronto Blue Jays skipper, has been tabbed to manage Team USA in next year's inaugural World Baseball Classic, said Bob Watson, the general manager for USA Baseball and Major League Baseball's vice president of on-field operations.

"He's definitely qualified for the job," Watson said. "He was the front-runner among a group of extremely qualified candidates."

Well, that seals the deal really. Canada will walk away with this one. I don't know why I was concerned about the American team.

JUribe1989
12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Official news release:

Well, that seals the deal really. Canada will walk away with this one. I don't know why I was concerned about the American team.

Is he really that bad of a manager?

PKalltheway
12-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Is he really that bad of a manager?

It isn't that Buck Martinez is a bad manager, but if you have a team of high profile athletes representing the best of what the United States has to offer, why are you going to pick a guy that has just slightly over a year of managing experience over a more experienced manager? Couldn't they get Tommy LaSorda to manage the team instead of having him as an ambassador? Wouldn't he essentially be an "ambassador" if he were to manage the team? He would be in a position to where more people would see him and know what he is doing. In fact there would even be slightly more interest in the WBC just for the fact that Tommy LaSorda is managing the U.S. team. With Buck Martinez....I just don't know. All I know is that I can name several current managers that could be the manager for the U.S. team instead of Martinez such as Tony LaRussa, Frank Robinson, Bobby Cox, and Joe Torre. For a team like this, you want a manager where you will not be questioning his leadership skills and qualities. You want somebody who you know will be a leader and somebody that not only the high-profile players will respect, but other countries will as well.

NonetheLoaiza
12-06-2005, 12:04 AM
It isn't that Buck Martinez is a bad manager, but if you have a team of high profile athletes representing the best of what the United States has to offer, why are you going to pick a guy that has just slightly over a year of managing experience over a more experienced manager? Couldn't they get Tommy LaSorda to manage the team instead of having him as an ambassador? Wouldn't he essentially be an "ambassador" if he were to manage the team? He would be in a position to where more people would see him and know what he is doing. In fact there would even be slightly more interest in the WBC just for the fact that Tommy LaSorda is managing the U.S. team. With Buck Martinez....I just don't know. All I know is that I can name several current managers that could be the manager for the U.S. team instead of Martinez such as Tony LaRussa, Frank Robinson, Bobby Cox, and Joe Torre. For a team like this, you want a manager where you will not be questioning his leadership skills and qualities. You want somebody who you know will be a leader and somebody that not only the high-profile players will respect, but other countries will as well.

I'm pretty sure that all of the above managers you just named are going to be busy with Spring Training.

PKalltheway
12-06-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that all of the above managers you just named are going to be busy with Spring Training.

They could still get somebody like Whitey Herzog though. It still perplexes me that they couldn't get Tommy LaSorda to manage the team though.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Just another reason this made for TV event is an absolute farce. I hope the U.S. doesn't even get out of the first round. That way at least Buehrle gets back to Sox training camp quicker.

Lip