PDA

View Full Version : WBC-> Contreras?

Stoky44
12-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Couple of quick comments here:

I know Garcia is pitching for Venezuela. How about Cuba, does Jose pitch for them or no?

Side note about the whole thing. If A-Rod doesn't play for the US it is total bull****. Its a load of crap he was on the "Latin" team at Game 4 of the WS. HE WAS BORN IN NEW YORK. Total ****ing garbage if he doesn't represent the US. Then AJ should play for team POLAND. I know there are a handful other other players who can choose between 2 teams. In my opinion if you are born here, then you should have to play for the US. The only way I think a player should be allowed to play for the country other than where they were born is if they are official citizens of that country and reside there during the offseason. So lets a player was born in Cuba, but is now an "official" US citizen, and lives here, then it is up to that player where to play.

JUribe1989
12-05-2005, 04:24 PM

I know Garcia is pitching for Venezuela. How about Cuba, does Jose pitch for them or no?

Side note about the whole thing. If A-Rod doesn't play for the US it is total bull****. Its a load of crap he was on the "Latin" team at Game 4 of the WS. HE WAS BORN IN NEW YORK. Total ****ing garbage if he doesn't represent the US. Then AJ should play for team POLAND. I know there are a handful other other players who can choose between 2 teams. In my opinion if you are born here, then you should have to play for the US. The only way I think a player should be allowed to play for the country other than where they were born is if they are official citizens of that country and reside there during the offseason. So lets a player was born in Cuba, but is now an "official" US citizen, and lives here, then it is up to that player where to play.

Castro hates Contreras, El Duque, Livan Hernandez, and Rey Ordonez because they all defected. No chance they would play for Cuba.

Baby Fisk
12-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Castro hates Contreras, El Duque, Livan Hernandez, and Rey Ordonez because they all defected. No chance they would play for Cuba.Exactly. No Cuban defectors will ever play for Cuba again while Castro is alive.

caulfield12
12-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Exactly. No Cuban defectors will ever play for Cuba again while Castro is alive.

Does he hate Contreras and Jose Canseco too? Maybe Jose will play for Cuba, lol.

No Yaniesky Betancourt, Danys Beaz or Kendry Morales either.

I wish we were able to see Omar Linares in his prime in the States.

Tekijawa
12-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I believe one of them has asked to pitch for Puerto Rico instead, I believe that the countries are able to decided weather or not to allow them... I saw that somewhere, but I can't remember where?

whitesoxwilkes
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
I believe one of them has asked to pitch for Puerto Rico instead, I believe that the countries are able to decided weather or not to allow them... I saw that somewhere, but I can't remember where?

Livan Hernandez has--he lives in PR during the offseason.

D. TODD
12-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Side note about the whole thing. If A-Rod doesn't play for the US it is total bull****. Its a load of crap he was on the "Latin" team at Game 4 of the WS. HE WAS BORN IN NEW YORK. Total ****ing garbage if he doesn't represent the US. Then AJ should play for team POLAND. I know there are a handful other other players who can choose between 2 teams. In my opinion if you are born here, then you should have to play for the US. The only way I think a player should be allowed to play for the country other than where they were born is if they are official citizens of that country and reside there during the offseason. So lets a player was born in Cuba, but is now an "official" US citizen, and lives here, then it is up to that player where to play. I believe Mexico & Jamaica have had solely U.S. citizens, under your rules compete in the Olympics in the past. Israel defiantly has ( I know they are a different example due to all Jewish people being Israli citizens at birth regardless of the country they currently live in, so I guess there is some precedent for the "citizenship" of people who have not lived in or was born in a country to compete internationally for their motherland. It doesen't bother me one way or the other, but I agree it is a bit of a stretch for some of these guys.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 11:57 PM
At this point Cuba has not even said it will participate in the farce.

Lip

lostletters
12-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Actually Cuba has said it will participate.

JC will not participate though. Obviously he is a defector, and a very hated one at that.

HotelWhiteSox
12-06-2005, 12:43 AM
At this point Cuba has not even said it will participate in the farce.

Lip

Yeah, as the poster above said, they're in. I think I read that Castro confirmed it.

This is another reason this World Baseball Classic irks me (other than risk of injury and overwork for our pitchers). I'm not positive on the rules but it seems like players can choose their country or accept some invitation from any country. There should be some eligibility requirements. I read somewhere that Piazza is playing for Italy, even though he was born in Pennsylvania. The only other way I could see it would be if offseason residence took place in another country, but still. I'll still watch out of curiousity and to see the talent from afar, but it won't really prove anything for me.

elrod
12-06-2005, 01:43 AM
I'd love the Polish team:

Mientkiewicz
Paciorek
Yastrzemski
Konerko
Pierzynski
Luzinski
Kluzewski
Grudzielanek
Mackowiak
Klesko
Musial
The Kielbasa Racer at Miller Park
Radke
Kazmir
Tomko

StockdaleForVeep
12-06-2005, 04:26 AM
I'd love the Polish team:

Mientkiewicz
Paciorek
Yastrzemski
Konerko
Pierzynski
Luzinski
Kluzewski
Grudzielanek
Mackowiak
Klesko
Musial
The Kielbasa Racer at Miller Park
Radke
Kazmir
Tomko

You forget gary majewski, also, i wonder if in Poland they have any secret weapons waiting for baseball there. I mean, they do play baseball in other nations

chaerulez
12-06-2005, 08:04 AM

A-Rod spent a frew years in the DR. I believe it is his parents wish to play for the DR. You probably aren't a minority in his situation so don't knock him for something you don't understand. However I can relate to something like this since I am a minority and if I were in his situation and my parents asked me to do the same, I would honor their request.

Also JC defected from Cuba so there is no chance of him playing for them.

Stoky44
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
A-Rod spent a frew years in the DR. I believe it is his parents wish to play for the DR. You probably aren't a minority in his situation so don't knock him for something you don't understand.

Not to get in a whole debate here, but you have to be a minority to understand? I guess then we should not judge Kenny Williams or any GM either, since none of us are really GM's and wouldn't understand. Kenny by the way has done a great job, but I don't know if I am qualified enough to say that or have the backgrounnd to understand the situation to judge, since I neither player pro baseball or been a GM. Since I am not minority, I don't understand about having pride in one's nationality? When St. Pat's day comes around I celebrate my Irish background, yet not confuse that with I am an American. That's what is great about this country that there are so many backgrounds and we are ALL EQUAL AMERICANS. Yet if you lose the American part, it starts to loose its greatness. If A-Rod has so much pride for the DR and loves it so much, why doesn't he live here then? There has to be more love and pride for US then? Seriously, I would have no problem if he decided to leave the US to live in the DR for the off seasons and then want to play for the DR.

Lets say AJ's parents are off the boat from Poland, and they want him to play for Poland, should he?

Tekijawa
12-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Lets say AJ's parents are off the boat from Poland, and they want him to play for Poland, should he?

You obviously don't have a Polish mother, I do, if AJ's Mom want's him to play for Poland, even if they don't have a team, then it is in his best interest to play for Team Poland!:D:

gobears1987
12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
I believe one of them has asked to pitch for Puerto Rico instead, I believe that the countries are able to decided weather or not to allow them... I saw that somewhere, but I can't remember where?Why the **** does Puerto Rico get a team? They are a US territory and thus their players should play for the US as they are all American citizens.

D. TODD
12-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Why the **** does Puerto Rico get a team? They are a US territory and thus their players should play for the US as they are all American citizens. They are a Commonwealth, they are U.S. citizens, but not a state, which makes them separate as well. Puerto Rico does not have active representation in Congress, they don't vote in U.S. elections, or pay U.S. taxes, as they are not the same as a state. They have had the chance to join the United States if they want to, but have voted it down to this point.

BeefyD
12-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Oh, so Polack are too dumb to take a plane, eh?

Just kidding. I'm full on Polish (Kwiatkowski), but not off the boat, and would love to see AJ rep-reh-sent. Still debating if I should spend $60 to get my Pierzynski jersey signed on Sat.

Paulwny
12-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Here's MLB's list of players and countries they'll represent.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wbc/rosters.jsp

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Here's MLB's list of players and countries they'll represent.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wbc/rosters.jsp

By this list the White Sox are tied for fewest representatives with two, Freddy and Buehrle. Japan isn't listed though and I know that Iguchi is with them.