PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Hot Stove News Thread

RallyBowl
12-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Post breaking news in here. Anone heard anything yet?

Frater Perdurabo
12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
No news from me, but I like the idea of this thread, to consolidate all the news from the Winter Meetings. Of course, even with this thread, I expect everyone, as usual, to start their own thread every time they hear/read/see a rumor that's new to them.
:rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
12-05-2005, 12:47 PM
No news from me, but I like the idea of this thread, to consolidate all the news from the Winter Meetings. Of course, even with this thread, I expect everyone, as usual, to start their own thread every time they hear/read/see a rumor that's new to them.
:rolleyes:

In the case of some...even when the existing thread is only three threads from the top of the page:rolleyes:

Fenway
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Interesting website to monitor

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

RallyBowl
12-05-2005, 02:23 PM

"Don't look to White Sox for RBI's"? *****.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
from Cleveland.com

The Indians also met with Nomar Garciaparra's representatives Sunday night. The Indians think Garciaparra could help them at first base, third base and in right field.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1133775113224001.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

Indians are getting a new TV contract for some $30M a year

The Indians' new TV deal will be worth only a fraction of what the Yankees and Red Sox receive. On the other hand, it appears that the Tribe is close to an agreement that will bring in $30 million per year in rights fees. But from who?

That still isn't clear. On the one hand, word off the street is that FSN Ohio, which owns the current contract, has dropped out of the bidding. The new players are Ohio News Network, ONN to those who receive the statewide cable outlet, and WKYC-TV, Channel 3.

Both entities appear to be bidding on the entire package, about 155 games. If Channel 3 wins out, it probably will air only a handful of games, maybe one a week, and sell the rest to ONN and maybe even to FSN.

Why does a statewide cable network want to air Indians broadcasts to the rest of Ohio, much of which has only a minimal interest in the Tribe? Some say to increase the network's penetration into various cable systems and satellite providers.

santo=dorf
12-05-2005, 02:29 PM

That website is laughable.

Baseball Tonight is coming on in aminute.

DaleJRFan
12-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Jerome Williams and Corey Patterson for Brad Wilkerson?? And the Red Sox were interviewing Bowden?? Say it ain't so, Fenway. :cool:

pythons007
12-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Jerome Williams and Corey Patterson for Brad Wilkerson?? And the Red Sox were interviewing Bowden?? Say it ain't so, Fenway. :cool:

I heard the Flubs were interested in Wilkerson, is anything for sure?

longshot7
12-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Why does a statewide cable network want to air Indians broadcasts to the rest of Ohio, much of which has only a minimal interest in the Tribe? Some say to increase the network's penetration into various cable systems and satellite providers.

Why not - if it increases the chances of increasing their fanbase? It's like WGN or TBS - turn those that aren't fans in to casual fans and turn casual fans into rabid fans.

Jjav829
12-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Woo, what an action packed and informative edition of BBTN. :?:

The biggest thing I learned is that there are a lot of people in New York who look like Manny Ramirez. Uhhh, ok, thanks for that John Kruk...:?:

And the biggest "news" was Gammons reporting again that Mark Grudzielanek is going to sign with the Mets.:?:

I'm not even sure why they did this. Did they actually expect something to happen today? I sure didn't.

RallyBowl
12-05-2005, 03:37 PM
This just in- Kenny Williams had quesadillas for lunch.

mjharrison72
12-05-2005, 03:42 PM
And churros for dessert!:bandance:

Baby Fisk
12-05-2005, 03:44 PM

The next useful piece of information posted at mlbtraderumors.com will be the first.

Jjav829
12-05-2005, 03:44 PM

Not true! This is just another bad Levine rumor. I heard from a reliable source that Kenny decided to go with the chicken sandwich and a nice side salad with ranch dressing. This came from my friend who is in the lobby and happened to overhear part of Kenny's order. Either that or Kenny just traded Richie Sexson and Kevin Mench.

RallyBowl
12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I just figured out why nothing has happened today. The demand for Kerry Wood has created chaos, as GM's of all teams have cornered Jim Hendry in a women's bathroom. Since everyone is offering their best player and top 3 prospects and 30 million in cash, the cubs GM is taking his time to weigh all options, thus creating the lack of productivity.

Flight #24
12-05-2005, 04:22 PM
I just figured out why nothing has happened today. The demand for Kerry Wood has created chaos, as GM's of all teams have cornered Jim Hendry in a women's bathroom. Since everyone is offering their best player and top 3 prospects and 30 million in cash, the cubs GM is taking his time to weigh all options, thus creating the lack of productivity.

Actually, this isn't far from the truth. Jim hendry is taking his time in the bathroom, but it's because he can't stop retching at the fact that he's likely to start 2006 with a starting lineup including Matt Murton, Ronny Cedeno, Neifi Perez, Felix Pie, and relying on Kerry Wood to stay healthy.

Or maybe he just woke up and said to himself "Wait - I spent HOW much? On WHO? Eyre? Howry? What was in those drinks?"

gr8mexico
12-05-2005, 05:57 PM
ESPN's Peter Gammons says A.J. Burnett will likely go to the Blue Jays for five years and $55 million. Dec. 5 - 5:56 pm et

MarySwiss
12-05-2005, 06:00 PM
from Cleveland.com

The Indians also met with Nomar Garciaparra's representatives Sunday night. The Indians think Garciaparra could help them at first base, third base and in right field.

Wow! I didn't realize he was that fast! I'm impressed! :rolleyes:

buehrle4cy05
12-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Wow. Signing Ryan (4) and Burnett (5) will cripple the Jays down the road.

gr8mexico
12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Wow. Signing Ryan (4) and Burnett (5) will cripple the Jays down the road. Next year will the year the jays have their fire sale.

gf2020
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
From http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5141070:
The Indians met Monday morning with Rick Thurman, the representative for Trevor Hoffman, and appear ready to sign the free-agent closer to a three-year deal in the $21 million to $24 million range. Hoffman is expected to take a physical for the Indians on Tuesday.
If this holds, the Indians had to do this and while we can rip them for overpaying, he can be as productive as Wickman was. They still need to replace Howry to even come close to replicating the success their bullpen had last year.

Vernam
12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Actually, this isn't far from the truth. Jim hendry is taking his time in the bathroom, but it's because he can't stop retching at the fact that he's likely to start 2006 with a starting lineup including Matt Murton, Ronny Cedeno, Neifi Perez, Felix Pie, and relying on Kerry Wood to stay healthy.

Or maybe he just woke up and said to himself "Wait - I spent HOW much? On WHO? Eyre? Howry? What was in those drinks?":D: I loved how Phil Rogers officially began the Baker/Hendry deathwatch in today's Trib, ripping the formerly infallible GM for botching the Furcal signing. I fully expected Baker to start 2006 on the hotseat, but that it became a two-seater so quickly is due to the Sox' championship.

Watch how Ronny Cedeno will suddenly be touted now as the second coming of Miguel Tejada.

Vernam

Flight #24
12-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Watch how Ronny Cedeno will suddenly be touted now as the second coming of Miguel Tejada.

Vernam

:knue
Actually, Tejada was just the first coming of Ronny Cedeno!

Mr. White Sox
12-05-2005, 10:09 PM
www.mlbtraderumors.com says the White Sox are interested in Carl Crawford and could give McCarthy and/or Josh Fields for him?

YEAH, RIGHT!

mjmcend
12-05-2005, 10:21 PM
"Today, he would retire if he had to make the decision," Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, said Monday at baseball's winter meetings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2249154

Great way for him to go out.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Great way for him to go out.
Worked for me! :D:

Jjav829
12-05-2005, 10:32 PM
www.mlbtraderumors.com (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com) says the White Sox are interested in Carl Crawford and could give McCarthy and/or Josh Fields for him?

YEAH, RIGHT!

Gee, the Sox would be interested in Carl Crawford? How surprising. The Sox and 28 other teams....

I can't even load that site, but it sounds worthless. I do think the Rays should consider trading Crawford (for many reasons which I won't go into now), but I don't think they will.

Jjav829
12-05-2005, 10:38 PM
ESPN's Peter Gammons says A.J. Burnett will likely go to the Blue Jays for five years and $55 million. Dec. 5 - 5:56 pm et

Good. I would rather have him there than in St. Louis.

If this does happen, the Jays sure will be spending a lot of money for a team that will finish in 3rd place.

It's Time
12-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Per the A's board: Milton Bradley to the A's for Kirk Saarloos and Mario Ramos. This is a done deal. Wow!!:?:

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-athletics&msg=43173.1&ctx=0

buehrle4cy05
12-05-2005, 11:09 PM
From http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5141070:

If this holds, the Indians had to do this and while we can rip them for overpaying, he can be as productive as Wickman was. They still need to replace Howry to even come close to replicating the success their bullpen had last year.

We can sit here and rip the Indians for overpaying him, but he still is a damn good closer and will be tough.

JUribe1989
12-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Per the A's board: Milton Bradley to the A's for Kirk Saarloos and Mario Ramos. This is a done deal. Wow!!:?:

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-athletics&msg=43173.1&ctx=0

WIN-WIN Trade. There is no room for Saarloos in the A's rotation, and Bradley is a great hitter even though he's a head case. Saarloos will be the Dodgers best starter next year, watch it happen.

Fenway
12-06-2005, 12:32 AM
The A's board not thrilled
Milton Bradley? Please say you're kidding. (http://oakball.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=5338)

MUsoxfan
12-06-2005, 01:01 AM
The A's board not thrilled
Milton Bradley? Please say you're kidding. (http://oakball.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=5338)

They have good reason. He's been a pain in the ass wherever he's gone

Coolpapa
12-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Wow! I didn't realize he was that fast! I'm impressed! :rolleyes:

Mia must be exhausted

D. TODD
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
The Philadelphia Daily News has an article about the Phillies offering Bobby Abreu to the Cubs for Mark Prior. Then it goes on to say the Cubs did not say no. Not much to write about, but they then go on to say that if they don't get Prior they would consider Jerome Williams and "sweeteners" such as Rich Hill. The two potential deals don't even seem to be in the same ballpark in talent but oh well.

D. TODD
12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
The Mariners are taking the lead in the Kevin Millwood race, according to a few reports.

The Palm Beach Post claims a Juan Pierre trade is very close to either the Rangers or Cubs. Mostly for prospects. Cubs deal did have Wellmeyer, Jerome Williams, Sergio Mitre, and some kid named Nolasco mentioned. Rangers deal just said top minor league prospect & Lance Nix.

Fenway
12-06-2005, 10:56 AM
This one came out of left field on boston.com

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

Twins talked to Red Sox about Lowell
Would the Red Sox consider trading Mike Lowell before he ever dons a Red Sox uniform? According to the Globe's Chris Snow, the Twins approached the Red Sox to talk about Lowell. However, still unclear is whether the Twins would ask the Red Sox to pick up part of the $18 million owed to Lowell over the next two years. Snow continued: "The Sox need lefty bullpen help and a righthanded-hitting fourth outfielder, and the Twins have two players available who would fit those needs in reliever J.C. Romero and Lew Ford. Red Sox officials wouldn't confirm or deny that a club had approached them about Lowell."

and the Manny watch heats up

The Red Sox intensified their search for a potential suitor for Ramirez as the winter meetings opened Monday. "We're coming closer," said Bill Lajoie, who is serving as point man for the Red Sox contingent, when asked about the likelihood of the team satisfying Ramirez's trade request. One source involved in negotiations with the Red Sox confirmed to the Globe's Gordon Edes that "there is substance to the rumor that the Sox are working on a three-way deal with the Diamondbacks and Angels in which the Sox would ship Manny to the Angels, the Angels would send prospects to the Diamondbacks, and the Sox would receive a package of players that includes power-hitting infielder Troy Glaus. Those talks, the source emphasized, remain in the preliminary stage, but he expressed hope that a deal could be done by the end of the meetings. The Mets also are believed to be a serious contender for his services, though their GM, Omar Minaya, told New York reporters yesterday that he didn't expect to make another major roster move. The Sox also have talked to the Texas Rangers about a possible deal for Ramirez, one that would involve second baseman Alfonso Soriano, but those talks are also in the preliminary stage." Tuesday's Providence Journal reported that "it appears agent Greg Genske has communicated to management that Ramirez is so intent on being dealt that he will accept a trade almost anywhere."

D. TODD
12-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry, I misread the thread I see these should be in Dude, what's the score since they are only rumored at the winter meetings

It's Time
12-06-2005, 11:02 AM
The Jays have signed A.J. Burnette to a 5 year, $55 million dollar deal:?: . Great talent, ridiculous money for Kerry Wood south.

DALLAS - A.J. Burnett's agent was talking early into the morning with the Toronto Blue Jays.

ESPN is reporting that the two sides are wrapping up final details on a five-year, $55 million contract. The sides anticipate the deal being finalized later today.

The Globe and Mail reported on its website that the deal had been agreed to and that Burnett was scheduled to arrive at the baseball winter meetings today for an afternoon news conference.

Citing sources, the Globe said the Burnett will receive $7 million next season, including a signing bonus, and $12-million each for the next four years of the deal.

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Wow, Burnett for $7M in 2006 is an absolute steal!!!!!

(the $12M/yr for the next 4......um.....less so)

This makes Jon Garland at least a $9M/yr pitcher.

Fenway
12-06-2005, 11:43 AM
basic cable in Canada just went up another 3 loonies

If Halladay can stay healthy the Jays could make a run in the East.......

This could be a very interesting summer

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 11:48 AM
basic cable in Canada just went up another 3 loonies

If Halladay can stay healthy the Jays could make a run in the East.......

This could be a very interesting summer

Seriously. Blue Jays will roll out Halladay-Burnett-Chacin-Towers and a decent relief staff with Ryan at closer. Arguably the best top to bottom staff in the division. I do think they'll have trouble scoring enough, but they'll make it close with the pitching. Yes, they overpaid, but I think it'll put 'em in contention.

TDog
12-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Seriously. Blue Jays will roll out Halladay-Burnett-Chacin-Towers and a decent relief staff with Ryan at closer. Arguably the best top to bottom staff in the division. I do think they'll have trouble scoring enough, but they'll make it close with the pitching. Yes, they overpaid, but I think it'll put 'em in contention.

A more competitive AL East wouldn't hurt the White Sox. I was disappointed that Baltimore proved just a mirage in 2005.

veeter
12-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm going to take a guess here and say the Jays start out hot but fade away. Burnett will be Burnett. Halliday has had injuries. Chacin is good but young. Paying huge money to over hyped players continues to screw things up.

It's Time
12-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Wow, Burnett for $7M in 2006 is an absolute steal!!!!!

(the $12M/yr for the next 4......um.....less so)

This makes Jon Garland at least a $9M/yr pitcher.

Which is why I don't hold it against Jon to test the market. He will easily get a 4/40 offer next year.

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2005, 12:17 PM
The Jays have signed A.J. Burnette to a 5 year, $55 million dollar deal:?: . Great talent, ridiculous money for Kerry Wood south.

DALLAS - A.J. Burnett's agent was talking early into the morning with the Toronto Blue Jays.

ESPN is reporting that the two sides are wrapping up final details on a five-year, $55 million contract. The sides anticipate the deal being finalized later today.

The Globe and Mail reported on its website that the deal had been agreed to and that Burnett was scheduled to arrive at the baseball winter meetings today for an afternoon news conference.

Citing sources, the Globe said the Burnett will receive $7 million next season, including a signing bonus, and $12-million each for the next four years of the deal.

How much is that in Canadian dollars??

TDog
12-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Which is why I don't hold it against Jon to test the market. He will easily get a 4/40 offer next year.

Unless he's hurt. He could have a bad season in 2006 and still demand big money. It seems to only take one big season on a pitcher's resume to cash in these days.

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 03:16 PM
FWIW, on ESPN's BBTN special Gammons said that Frank going to the A's could get done quickly. Perhaps they are just waiting for the Sox not to offer arbitration by tomorrow's deadline.

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 04:07 PM
FWIW, on ESPN's BBTN special Gammons said that Frank going to the A's could get done quickly. Perhaps they are just waiting for the Sox not to offer arbitration by tomorrow's deadline.

:whiner: :whiner:

gr8mexico
12-06-2005, 04:20 PM
The Baltimore Orioles (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/BAL) moved Tuesday to address their bullpen by acquiring set-up LaTroy Hawkins (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/7696) from the San Francisco Giants, CBS SportsLine.com has learned.

Among other things, the Orioles need arms in the back end of their bullpen following closer B.J. Ryan's departure for Toronto.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
FWIW, on ESPN's BBTN special Gammons said that Frank going to the A's could get done quickly. Perhaps they are just waiting for the Sox not to offer arbitration by tomorrow's deadline.You're probably right about waiting until after the deadline. Frank is a Class B FA, which means the A's would have to give up their first round pick. Knowing how Billy Beane loves his draft picks, he's not going to want to give one up.

gowhitesox
12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Read on AOL, about talk of the Cubs trading Nomar Garciaparra to the Yankees. Knowing the Cubs they will make a stupid trade out of it.

Chisox003
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Read on AOL, about talk of the Cubs trading Nomar Garciaparra to the Yankees. Knowing the Cubs they will make a stupid trade out of it.
Nomar's a free agent.......

:?:

Mickster
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM

:?: Nomar is a FA.

Mickster
12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Nomar's a free agent.......

:?:

Nice reply! :D:

depy48
12-06-2005, 04:48 PM
The Giants have traded Latroy Hawkins to the Orioles for Steve Kline, as reported on Rotoworld:

LaTroy Hawkins has been traded from the Giants to the Orioles for Steve Kline, USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports.
This right after Nightengale said it was expected Hawkins would go to the Mets. Kline's career could turn around back in the NL, but we like this for the Orioles, assuming that Baltimore has no intention of allowing Hawkins to close. Between Hawkins and Chris Ray, the Orioles could do very well in the seventh and eighth innings. Someone like Todd Jones might be brought in to close. Dec. 6 - 4:27 pm et

oppps sorry, must have missed the post sbefore mine, although I'm still giving myself credit for not starting a new thread for a topic like this....

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
You're probably right about waiting until after the deadline. Frank is a Class B FA, which means the A's would have to give up their first round pick. Knowing how Billy Beane loves his draft picks, he's not going to want to give one up.

Actually, IIRC the A's will already surrender their #1 for signing good ol' Esteban Loaiza. So Frank would've cost their next pick, but regardless, they're almost certainly waiting the extra day to save that.

Still sucks as a Sox fan and a Thomas fan from day 1. I'd almost rather see him go to the Twins than be a Beanie.

mjmcend
12-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Still sucks as a Sox fan and a Thomas fan from day 1. I'd almost rather see him go to the Twins than be a Beanie.

Yeah, if he does well there (and I hope he does well wherever he goes) all we are going to hear is about how smart BB is. And if he doesn't make a full recovery, we won't hear a peep. It's going to be sickening.

Mr. White Sox
12-06-2005, 05:25 PM
The Giants have traded Latroy Hawkins to the Orioles for Steve Kline, as reported on Rotoworld:

WOW! DEAL OF THE CENTURY FOR BOTH TEAMS. STOP THE PRESSES!

It's Time
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Unreal. Burnett is making 11M a year and has a below .500 career record:?: . We live in different times. Back in the day, you had to ACTUALLY, you know, DESERVE that type of money.:rolleyes:

Canadian_SoxFan
12-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Unreal. Burnett is making 11M a year and has a below .500 career record:?: . We live in different times. Back in the day, you had to ACTUALLY, you know, DESERVE that type of money.:rolleyes: I'm not justifying the amount of money Burnett is getting, but there are more important stats than just wins. Apparently he has nasty stuff, and should do well in a new environment

Mots09
12-06-2005, 06:23 PM
nasty stuff as Pavano had last year

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
The Pirates are close to acquiring first baseman Sean Casey from the Reds for left-hander Dave Williams, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Sean Casey...just what the Pirates needed to become contenders. :?:

HotelWhiteSox
12-06-2005, 06:28 PM
I also heard Gammons talking about the A's and Frank, but ESPN 1000 said the Twins are 'seriously considering' him if they're sure he's healthy. I don't know if I could see Frank in a Twins uni, especially 19 times a year

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm not justifying the amount of money Burnett is getting, but there are more important stats than just wins. Apparently he has nasty stuff, and should do well in a new environmentThat's what they said about Pavano.

VivaOzzie
12-06-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm not justifying the amount of money Burnett is getting, but there are more important stats than just wins. Apparently he has nasty stuff, and should do well in a new environment

I think many people in the past have replaced the word "Burnett" with "Kerry Wood" in the above sentence. :dunno:

Either way, I agree about equally. Not at all.

Mots09
12-06-2005, 06:39 PM
That's exactly the point i was making OleNumber2. Pavano got such a sweet deal for having one season.

Kind of like Jon Garland is about to get tendered to him upon the completion of this year.

longshot7
12-06-2005, 06:47 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Grady Little will be announced as the Dodgers new manager at a press conference tonight. I don't know what that does for anyone else, but it doesn't do much for me. :?:

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow. It's usually the Pirates that are the ones giving away talent to inner-division rivals(got to love watching the Reds and Pirates duke it out for the bottom of the NL Central!)

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 10:27 PM
The silliness & speculation continue.....

The Dodgers are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano for reliever Jonathon Broxton, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.
That would be a considerably smaller price tag than expected and more in line with what Soriano is worth. Dec. 6 - 10:09 pm et

Who?:?: Hard to believe teams wouldn't top THAT offer.......

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that Kris Benson is on his way to the Royals for Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal.
Metsblog.com's Matthew Cerrone says it might be a prospect instead of MacDougal along with Affledt. The Royals can't give up both relievers for the right to pay Benson $15 million over the next two years. Dec. 6 - 10:07 pm et
Source: MetsBlog.com (http://www.metsblog.com/)
Take THAT Anna Benson!!!:tongue:

The Braves may have interest in acquiring Edgar Renteria, according to the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes.
It's about time the Red Sox opened up shortstop for Hanley Ramirez. Or maybe not. If the Red Sox could dump Renteria's contract, they'd probably try to use some combination of Bronson Arroyo, Kelly Shoppach and Kevin Youkilis to get Julio Lugo from the Devil Rays. However, we'd be surprised to see much come of this. Dec. 6 - 5:57 pm et
Source: Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/)

Yeah, maybe the Red Sox could trade that Beckett guy to the Marlins for Ramirez....:?:

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 10:34 PM
The Red Sox, Braves and Rays are reportedly discussing a three-team deal that would send Edgar Renteria to Atlanta, Andy Marte to Tampa Bay and Julio Lugo to Boston.
If that's something the Braves are really willing to do -- we're quite skeptical -- the Red Sox should seriously consider eliminating the middle man and taking Marte. Actually, the Globe's Gordon Edes said the Red Sox could play Lugo at second and attempt to acquire Orlando Cabrera from the Angels, which sounds like a terrible idea to us.

That would be one hell of a move for the D'Rays.

As for the Red Sox, they let Cabrera go last year to sign Renteria, yet now they want to trade Renteria and bring Cabrera back? Ok...

Flight #24
12-06-2005, 10:40 PM
[/color]

That would be one hell of a move for the D'Rays.

As for the Red Sox, they let Cabrera go last year to sign Renteria, yet now they want to trade Renteria and bring Cabrera back? Ok...

Anyone ever stop and wonder why, after signing and getting a pretty solid year from Cabrera, the Halos might want to deal him within the AL to another likely playoff team?:?:

Maybe that's the final destination for Aaron Miles with the shift from 2B to SS?

Jjav829
12-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Anyone ever stop and wonder why, after signing and getting a pretty solid year from Cabrera, the Halos might want to deal him within the AL to another likely playoff team?:?:

Maybe that's the final destination for Aaron Miles with the shift from 2B to SS?

Because they have two shortstop's that could be better than Cabrera. Word was that they were so impressed with Maicer Izturis' play last year that they regretted ever signing Cabrera. Plus they have Brandon Wood on the way and he figures to be their shortstop for the future.

Fenway
12-06-2005, 11:12 PM

The Red Sox got themselves in this mess when they waived David Eckstein in 2000 when he was at AAA. Then they had a chance to get him back and instead went with Edgar.

Eckstein maybe the closest thing we will see in the 21st Century as a pure hustle player. He just gets it done.

socko82
12-07-2005, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Flight #24]Anyone ever stop and wonder why, after signing and getting a pretty solid year from Cabrera, the Halos might want to deal him within the AL to another likely playoff team?:?:

Maybe as part of a Manny trade??

Fenway
12-07-2005, 10:00 AM
The reports out of Dallas this morning indicate that Manny will probably NOT be traded after all. The Mets are OUT and the Angels have put so little on the table the Red Sox won't do it.

It seems more likely that Edgar Renteria goes to the Braves as that is being reported in both Boston and Atlanta

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/1205/07bravesmtg.html

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/07/red_sox_now_shopping_renteria/

Fenway
12-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Scott Boras was in a good mood at 3 AM

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/)

The 3 a.m. word ...

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff
Good news for Johnny Damon fans. Ran into Scott Boras walking through the lobby last night just before 3 a.m. Boston time, and he said that he'd spent considerable time talking with the Sox and things were looking "good." Scott doesn't say that kind of stuff unless he's closing in on a deal. The Sox are believed to have offered a four-year deal for JD, for a figure probably north of the $40 million they gave Jason Varitek and Edgar Renteria last year.

All right, time for every good blogger (and even the bad ones) to pull the plug.

Manana,
Gordon

Flight #24
12-07-2005, 10:32 AM

Saw a note this AM that that $7M '06 salary is in the form of $6M signing bonus and a $1M salary. Which raised an interesting prospect for me - if this isn't working out in terms of the Jays contending, are they basically looking at this as another Delgado deal? I.e. spin him to a contender on the assumption that the price for pitching goes up annually and 4/$48M (or a year later - 3/$36) is going to be a market-rate deal for a contender to acquire a solid to stud pitcher?

Just a thought.

MUsoxfan
12-07-2005, 10:42 AM
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff
Good news for Johnny Damon fans. Ran into Scott Boras walking through the lobby last night just before 3 a.m. Boston time, and he said that he'd spent considerable time talking with the Sox and things were looking "good." Scott doesn't say that kind of stuff unless he's closing in on a deal. The Sox are believed to have offered a four-year deal for JD, for a figure probably north of the $40 million they gave Jason Varitek and Edgar Renteria last year.

That's still too many years/too much money. The legend of Johnny Damon is much more impressive than the actual Johnny Damon

Fenway
12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
That's still too many years/too much money. The legend of Johnny Damon is much more impressive than the actual Johnny Damon

he can hit, run and catch anything

his arm? well........Carl Crawford tagged up from second and scored on him in September :?:

The Herald beat writer posted this in his 3 AM blog

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/index.bg?mode=viewid&post_id=139

Here’s another late nugget, swallow at your own risk: Scott Boras, Johnny Damon’s agent, has been telling teams that he has a five-year, $70 million offer on the table. The identity of the team making the offer is a closely held secret…

David Wells is going somewhere soon
Another source said that as of 1:53 this morning, the Padres were still meeting with the Red Sox, trying to get David Wells back into the deal. The last we all had heard, Wells was headed, presumably, to Oakland for Justin Duchscherer. That may have been a favor from Oakland GM Billy Beane to get the Padres more serious. If so, it might have worked. If Wells is back in the mix with the Padres, then the Red Sox would probably be asking for one of the Padres relievers – Scott Linebrink or Akinori Otsuka.

DaleJRFan
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
The reports out of Dallas this morning indicate that Manny will probably NOT be traded after all. The Mets are OUT and the Angels have put so little on the table the Red Sox won't do it.

It seems more likely that Edgar Renteria goes to the Braves as that is being reported in both Boston and Atlanta

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/1205/07bravesmtg.html

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/07/red_sox_now_shopping_renteria/

If Manny pulls a no-show, do the RedSox have to pay his salary? Or is that considered breach of contract? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff.

Fenway
12-07-2005, 12:47 PM
If Manny pulls a no-show, do the RedSox have to pay his salary? Or is that considered breach of contract? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff.

He don't show, he don't get paid.

But his regular salary doesn't kick in until the season starts. They could fine him for missing spring training but for a man who keeps uncashed paychecks in the glove compartment this wouldn't matter much.

Pretend you are the Red Sox and you are thinking about making a deal like this in a Yahoo Fantasy League. You wouldn't do it...140+ ribbies don't grown on trees. He is a flake, but he is also one of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen.

patbooyah
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM
i hope the red sox don't trade him.

i hope they fine the hell out of him(so that they don't lose any money on his contract) and force him to play, or not be paid.

the guy signed a contract. he shouldn't be able to strong-arm the red sox into trading him, thus forcing them to accept less value for him.

on the other hand, this seems like what the red sox and yankees are asking for with all the prima donnas they continue to sign.

Fenway
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Eric Wilbur who does the Red Sox blog on boston.com raises an interesting point.

The Red Sox seemed determined to undo everything Theo did last off-season

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2005/12/07/market_correction/

And while Clement's seemingly annual downward spiral coincided with getting smacked in the head by a hard liner in Tampa, his horrific Game 1 postseason start may have illustrated all the Red Sox brass needed to know about his gamesmanship

Chisox003
12-07-2005, 01:00 PM
The reports out of Dallas this morning indicate that Manny will probably NOT be traded after all.
Shocking.

Flight #24
12-07-2005, 01:08 PM
The Red Sox seemed determined to undo everything Theo did last off-season

Not surprising given those additions. Sure, they're market rate, but they're just not good players. The problem now, as then - at times the best move is to reload from within and take a short-term hit, something the BloSox are not willing to do.

Another reason why we should be thankful for Kenny Williams, who's willing to take the heat to make what he thinks is the right decision.

longshot7
12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Because they have two shortstop's that could be better than Cabrera. Word was that they were so impressed with Maicer Izturis' play last year that they regretted ever signing Cabrera. Plus they have Brandon Wood on the way and he figures to be their shortstop for the future.

With due respect, I don't think that's quite accurate. Cabrera isn't going anywhere - if anything, Izturis will be the one that gets traded and there's no guarantee Wood won't be traded either. OC started slow last year offensively, but he had several game-winning homers, and his defense was always stellar. Maicer played third at times last year and offensively, he was a pleasant surprise, but defensively, it's clear he's not near as good as his brother. I don't think, even with Eckstein's play in STL, that the Angels EVER regretted signing OC - it was the right move to make. Eckstein's play blossomed over in the NL - don't think he could be that good in the AL - his 2004 numbers show that. Boston will have to look elsewhere if they trade Edgar.

gf2020
12-07-2005, 02:12 PM
The Indians have increased their offer to three guaranteed years in their quest to land free-agent closer Trevor Hoffman, according to a source close to the negotiations. The Padres are believed to be offering a two-year deal at a lesser salary, leaving Hoffman with the most difficult decision of his career. Hoffman, 38, has been with the Padres since 1993.
Wow. If they had to up their offer that was already at 3 years/24 million to stay in on Hoffman when the Padres are offering only two, Hoffman must really not want to leave the Padres. Hopefully, he'll pull a Giles and stick to the west coast at the last minute.

russ99
12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Here’s another late nugget, swallow at your own risk: Scott Boras, Johnny Damon’s agent, has been telling teams that he has a five-year, $70 million offer on the table. The identity of the team making the offer is a closely held secret…

Boras used this same scumbag ploy with Carlos Beltran last year to drive the price up among the 4 interested teams. None of them made an offer at the time...

Fungo
12-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Padres and Devil Rays make a deal...

Sean Burroughs for Dewon Brazelton

D. TODD
12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Padres and Devil Rays make a deal...

Sean Burroughs for Dewon Brazelton Bust for Bigger bust!

Fungo
12-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Bust for Bigger bust!

classic "change of scenery" deal

Flight #24
12-07-2005, 02:48 PM

And on the radio today, Bob Nightengale of USA Today said the BoSox asked around, reporters asked around, and no one could find any trace or rumor of such an offer. Speculation is that it might be a Japanese team, or even that Boras himself may have said "Johnny - if I ever buy a team, I'll be willing to pay you 5/$70". He then was able to tell Boston "Well, Johnny already has an offer for 5/$70".

:reinsy
"I told you - there's no problem negotiating with Boras as long as you realize he's only lying when he says something"

Flight #24
12-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Dan Patrick reports that Mark Redman has been traded to the Royals.

Ol' No. 2
12-07-2005, 02:53 PM
And on the radio today, Bob Nightengale of USA Today said the BoSox asked around, reporters asked around, and no one could find any trace or rumor of such an offer. Speculation is that it might be a Japanese team, or even that Boras himself may have said "Johnny - if I ever buy a team, I'll be willing to pay you 5/$70". He then was able to tell Boston "Well, Johnny already has an offer for 5/$70".

:reinsy
"I told you - there's no problem negotiating with Boras as long as you realize he's only lying when he says something":borass: Are you trying to make me out to be some kind of monster?

CHISOXFAN13
12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251206

Flight #24
12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
:borass: Are you trying to make me out to be some kind of monster?

Nope, I think you've done plenty good at that all by your lonesome!

Chisox003
12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Gammons just reported the Red Sox sent Mirabelli to the Padres for Loretta....

That's the first I've heard of this.....

What kind of move is this for the Padres? :?:

Edit: Jason Stark just added that the Cubs are still after Milton Bradley. He said that Bradley and Baker met and "really hit it off." Then he says Dusty is managing the Cubs because he "heals problems." Why do I watch this? :o:

palehozenychicty
12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/12/07/redsox.loretta/index.htmlI guess that Pedroia isn't quite ready, otherwise this trade seems dumb for the Red Sox, with Mirabelli being Wakefield's personal catcher. I thought that Renteria last year was a dumb signing as well, since they had Mr. Hanley waiting in the wings. As we know, Renteria became a shell of himself this season. fenway, any thoughts about this deal?

Fenway
12-07-2005, 05:20 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/12/07/redsox.loretta/index.htmlI guess that Pedroia isn't quite ready, otherwise this trade seems dumb for the Red Sox, with Mirabelli being Wakefield's personal catcher. I thought that Renteria last year was a dumb signing as well, since they had Mr. Hanley waiting in the wings. As we know, Renteria became a shell of himself this season. fenway, any thoughts about this deal?

Of course Hanley is now gone....but the buzz this afternoon is that Edgar will be in Atlanta shortly. The big mystery is why they didn't want to keep Cabrerra or try and get Eckstein back.

The idea of Nomar coming back was laughable a month ago, now I begin to wonder especially with Epstein gone.

and don't rule out the return of Roger Clemens if Houston cuts him loose tonight. Since he is resigned to the fact he going to the HoF as a Red Sox he just might come back.

Fenway
12-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Johnny Damon had nothing but nice words about NY in the Tribune owned Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-sphey1207,0,1852336.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

"I think New York's a great city."
"I have (thought about joining the Yankees). That's a lineup people dream about. It would be one of the best lineups we've seen in a long time."
"It's been a pretty cool ride the past couple of years ... (The Red Sox have) got to step up, and really quick ... They've dragged their feet long enough."
"(The Red Sox are) just one of the teams in the market right now. They've had all the time in the world, and I've given them every chance before last season and during the season. It wasn't until after the season that they wanted to start talking. By that time, I'd taken all the risk and played through all the injuries. Now I'm a free agent, and I'll see what's out there. I'm excited about it."
"The clubhouse is changing. Our team doctor is gone, and our team chiropractor is gone ... Bill Mueller will be gone. And Kevin Millar, who was instrumental in keeping the clubhouse loose. There's been a lot of changes. That's why signing me early was very important. We were guys who didn't care about The Curse. That's the reason we were able to win. Without certain guys, it's going to be tough. There were a lot of changes last year, which never should have happened. Pedro and Derek Lowe could pitch on the big stage."
"I would cut the hair and I would stay clean-shaven. George Steinbrenner has the policy for a reason, and you have to respect that. I've never been one to challenge authority."
script writtern by Scott Boras

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Another off season and another new closer for the Tigers. They've signed Todd Jones to a 2 year deal.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051207/SPORTS0104/512070428/1129

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Another somewhat interesting note. The Brewers traded for Dan Kolb but plan to non tender him on December 20th so that they can re-sign him to a lower deal.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/dec05/376038.asp

Fenway
12-07-2005, 09:17 PM
The Boston Globe senior baseball writer has been blogging away

some news
Latest word is Dodgers, A's and Giants are all out of the David Wells sweepstakes, leaving the Padres as the only palatable destination for the left-hander. Padres may insist the Sox take Woody Williams in return, although with San Diego having re-signed Trevor Hoffman, Sox may ask for Scott Linebrink in return. Dodgers thought price too steep for DW, did not want to weaken their pen.
Forget about Manny to the Dodgers. No shot.
Texas, Sox may still try to make a match on Manny.
Sox in on Milwaukee 1B Lyle Overbay, but another team appears to have the inside track.
the edgar renteria three-way is still very much alive and could happen tonight, but the situation is fluid

Posted By: gedes | Time: 08:33:28 PM

The Red Sox offered salary arbitration to three of their seven free agents today: outfielder Johnny Damon, second baseman Tony Graffanino, and third baseman Bill Mueller. They declined to offer arbitration to pitcher Matt Mantei, first baseman Kevin Millar, reliever Mike Myers, and retiring first baseman John Olerud.

The three players have been told they have until Dec. 19 to decide whether to accept arbitration. If they accept they are considered signed players. If they decline, the club has until Jan. 8 to continue negotiating with them.

The Red Sox are now prohibited from negotiating with the four players they did not offer arbitration to until May 1.

Damon, Graffanino, and Muller are considered Type-A free agents, so the Red Sox would get two draft picks as compensation if they sign elsewhere, so it was not a surprise that they would offer arbitration to those three.

Bill Mueller is expected to sign multi-year deal elsewhere and that could also be the case for Graffanino.

It was something of a surprise that Myers was not offered arbitration. Bill Lajoie said the team could only afford to have one reliever who fits in the category of a one-hitter pitcher and they have that in Chad Bradford. A number of teams have expressed interest in Myers, including the Yankees.

In their media briefing session, the Red Sox acknowledged the possibility that they could make a trade before they leave here involving an everyday position player. That lends credence to the Edgar Renteria trade talks.

Asked about Manny Ramirez, Bill Lajoie said today was not a Manny day and then Craig Shipley added that they not have talks about David Wells either today.

They said there were “ongoing negotiations” with Damon, but would not confirm that another offer has been made.

Larry Lucchino was still here as of late this afternoon.

The Red Sox were aware that Houston had elected not to offer arbitration to Roger Clemens.

“I’m sure there are a lot of teams that would like Roger to pitch for them,” Shipley said.

The Red Sox remain one of the only teams not to have spoken to Arn Tellem about Nomar Garciaparra.

Fenway
12-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Nomar to the Jays?

from the Boston Herald blog

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/

Jays get Overbay; Nomar next?

http://news.bostonherald.com/images/headshots/tony_massarotti.gifAs expected, the Toronto Blue Jays completed a trade with the Milwaukee Brewers that delivers first baseman Lyle Overbay to Toronto. In exchange for Overbay, Toronto will send outfielder Gabe Gross, pitcher Dave Bush and minor league pitcher Zach Jackson to the Brewers.
Obviously, despite what you read here earlier, Shea Hillenbrand was not in this deal. That's the problem with the internet - haste makes waste. (OK, so I'm dumb.)
For now, the Jays' plan is use Hillenbrand as the DH and play Overbay at first base. With Corey Koskie at third base, the Jays now will try to trade Eric Hinske along with pitcher Miguel Batista.
The big news? Toronto is seriously eyeing Nomar Garciaparra with the hope of using him at a variety of positions. Now wouldn't that be something if Garciaparra ends up back in the American League East?
The Garciaparra negotiations could drag on for a while, so be patient.
All for now, though be prepared for a Red Sox update shortly.
Posted By : Tony Massarotti | Time : 02:09:37 am

JUribe1989
12-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Good night by the Rockies. Now Luis A. Gonzalez can start at second with Aaron Miles traded to the Cardinals. Larry Bigbie clears space for the new 4th OF which is either Shealy or Hawpe. And Ray King is a proven set up man and a better option than Jose Mesa. Yorvit Torrealba has one of the best arms in baseball behind the plate and he could hit 30 hr now that he is at Coors.

Fenway
12-08-2005, 10:33 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

Last updated: 12/08
Red Sox, Braves likely to continue talks Thursday
As of late Wednesday night, the Red Sox and Braves were still discussing a deal that would send Renteria to Atlanta for third baseman Andy Marte, the Braves' top prospect, a source close to the talks told the Boston Globe. The sides intended to talk on Thursday as well, the final day of baseball's winter meetings. It now appears that the Devil Rays are out of the picture in what was originally a three-team deal that would have netted the Red Sox shortstop Julio Lugo. Those talks could be sparked again Thursday, however. The Globe also offered the following scenario: "The Sox could cut separate deals with Atlanta and Tampa Bay, sending Renteria to the Braves for Marte, then using Marte as part of a bigger deal with Tampa Bay in which they would not only acquire Lugo, but also first baseman Aubrey Huff and/or closer Danys Baez. The Sox have shown interest in Huff in the past and that may be renewed after they failed to acquire Milwaukee first baseman Lyle Overbay. To make a bigger deal, the Sox would probably have to offer a package including Marte, catcher Kelly Shoppach, and pitcher Bronson Arroyo." The Boston Herald reported Thursday that money was holding up sending Renteria to Atlanta. The Braves, apparently, were balking at the remaining $29 million over three years left on Renteria's contract, and the Red Sox were unwilling to pay as much as half, according to the Herald.

Last updated: 12/08
Manny talks take a hiatus
The Red Sox put the Manny talks on the back burner on Wednesday, and even Sox president Larry Lucchino acknowledged it's unrealistic to expect Manny to be traded by the end of the winter meetings Thursday. ''Today was not a Manny day,'' said senior adviser Bill Lajoie. The market for Manny remains unclear, as it appears the Mets, Angels, and Dodgers are no longer interested in trying to acquire the disgruntled Red Sox slugger.