PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Hint on White Sox broadcasters

Fenway
12-05-2005, 10:46 AM
I was talking to someone this morning at Comcast Sports in Philadelphia and according to him the delay on the White Sox announcers is because of changes that Comcast would like to do.

The top brass in Philadelphia is pushing for a TV team of Gary Thorne and Steve Lyons with Hawk moving to radio. Thorne has been pushed out of ESPN with the loss of hockey and giving Sean McDonough more baseball next summer.

Comcast is also in favor of some crossover between radio and TV, similar to what they have in Philadelphia. Infinity is not opposed to the idea as they have the radio rights in Philly as well.

Obviously it is Hawk's call but it just might work. Farmer wouldn't be happy but what choice would he have. He could quit but where could he go?

Comcast was not happy with Hawk for a variety of reason but #1 being Hawk's refusal to smooze with ad clients.

I asked about DJ and the Philly source said "in studio" if he is offered anything at all. He says there is going to be a big shakeup in Chicago with management as there were far too may snafus this season on White Sox TV.

Jerko
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Gary Thorne? The guy who transposes numbers and says the wrong players are on the wrong team all the time (at least in hockey he did that). I remember one game Eric Daze was on the Canucks and Ed Jovanovski was on the Hawks (both wear #55). He does that all the time. Too much reliance on the media guide.

Flight #24
12-05-2005, 11:04 AM
The only thing that gives this even the slightest shred of credibiility was Hawk's behaviour during the playoffs. Hiding out in FL as if he was pissed, and when interviewed, sounding bitter towards the organization albiet not directly.

But hard to believe that JR would approve that. Not his style unless something really really bad happened involving the Hawk. Plus, IMO there's more Hawk supporters among Sox fans than Hawk bashers.

Baby Fisk
12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
I can see a ginormous Hawk boosters vs Hawk bashers thread about to erupt. Maybe even right here!

But I agree with Flight 24 that something was up when Hawk disappeared for the first part of the playoffs, and DJ disappeared altogether. A shakeup had to be in the works.

dickallen15
12-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Gary Thorne actually did Sox games for a season or 2 in the eighties. He's not bad, but while I'm sure fenway had this conversation, I really doubt there is much validity to the scenerio. Hawk has a television contract that runs for several more years. While most Sox games are broadcast over Comcast, many are on WGN and the U, and I'm sure they would much prefer to have "he gone", and "you can put it on the boardddddddddd.............yesssssssssssssssssssss ssssss" than have Gary Thorne describe the action. Moving announcers depending on what station is broadcasting the games would be a pain in the butt. Finally, Hawk would cost the Score more than Rooney would have.

Blancos Medias
12-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't remember Thorne doing any Sox games, must have missed it. But, count me as one of those who would like to see Harrelson replaced. I won't go into a bunch of hype about it, but he is not a good announcer in my opinion. The other guy, DJ, seems like he's a beginner even now. Nice enough guy, but maybe he should look for another line of work.

Just my opinion, and I don't wish to get heated up about it, but almost anybody would be an upgrade. We have a champion team now, and great fans. It's time to have a decent broadcast team.

I'm not sure if Thorne would be good, but honestly, can he be as bad as Harrelson?

Fenway
12-05-2005, 11:17 AM
But hard to believe that JR would approve that. Not his style unless something really really bad happened involving the Hawk. Plus, IMO there's more Hawk supporters among Sox fans than Hawk bashers.

Hawk's biggest booster is Jim Corno who ran Sportsvision then Sportschannel, then Fox and now Comcast.But CSN did not get off to a smooth start and the Philly people were not happy when the feed of the Cleveland game in September vanished into the ozone and Corno who was at the Mart studios was unaware of the problem. Remember the night before Comcast had their highest rating ever.

Bottom line, the brass in Philadelphia is not happy and in the Comcast world that is not good. From my own dealings with Comcast I know first hand what Philly wants, they usually get.

Whitesox4ever
12-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Im hoping that the Sox get their new radio guy by the end of the year..

Kogs35
12-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Hawk's biggest booster is Jim Corno who ran Sportsvision then Sportschannel, then Fox and now Comcast.But CSN did not get off to a smooth start and the Philly people were not happy when the feed of the Cleveland game in September vanished into the ozone and Corno who was at the Mart studios was unaware of the problem. Remember the night before Comcast had their highest rating ever.

Bottom line, the brass in Philadelphia is not happy and in the Comcast world that is not good. From my own dealings with Comcast I know first hand what Philly wants, they usually get.

fenway i wouldnt mind gary thorne for radio, his home run call is better for radio than tv.

32nd&Wallace
12-05-2005, 11:27 AM

Bottom line, the brass in Philadelphia is not happy and in the Comcast world that is not good. From my own dealings with Comcast I know first hand what Philly wants, they usually get.Who has the final say on announcers, the Sox or Comcast?

MarySwiss
12-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Gary Thorne actually did Sox games for a season or 2 in the eighties. He's not bad, but while I'm sure fenway had this conversation, I really doubt there is much validity to the scenerio. Hawk has a television contract that runs for several more years. While most Sox games are broadcast over Comcast, many are on WGN and the U, and I'm sure they would much prefer to have "he gone", and "you can put it on the boardddddddddd.............yesssssssssssssssssssss ssssss" than have Gary Thorne describe the action. Moving announcers depending on what station is broadcasting the games would be a pain in the butt. Finally, Hawk would cost the Score more than Rooney would have.

I remember Thorne from the 80s, not fondly. He also, IIRC, was part of the "Giggle Triplets" broadcast team that did some Sox games for ESPN this year and that drove some of us--including me--nuts. Let's keep Hawk.

SoxFan78
12-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Watching Sox games would not be the same without Hawk. I would hope the White Sox would have the say on who's doing their broadcasts, not some suits in Philly.

Frater Perdurabo
12-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Selfishly speaking, as one who gets most of my Sox fix on XM, I'd love to hear Hawk on the radio.

I can only watch Sox games when they are on Saturday baseball on Fox (not often in DFW, where we are more likely to get Red Sox-Yankees than even the Rangers), when they are playing the Rangers, when WGN televises their games (once per week if I'm lucky, except when they play the Cubs), and when I visit my folks in Chicago.

Fenway, does your source have any info that DJ's infamous "Just don't strap it on" comment, and Hawk's subsequent lay-out, was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?
:D:

Fenway
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Who has the final say on announcers, the Sox or Comcast?

Comcast for the CSN games White Sox for the WGN/WCIU games

The CSN Chicago operation is "shaky".... the morning scores show has not produced the numbers hoped for and the Tribune Live show has been a disaster.

Their formula has worked very well in Philadelphia but Chicago has not warmed up to it.
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/shows.asp

RichFitztightly
12-05-2005, 11:39 AM
I do know Steve Lyons has one more year at Fox. I don't know how that fits into the equation, but if Dave Wills can't get out of his contract, I'm sure Steve Lyons is going to have some problems.

DaveIsHere
12-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Hurry someone e-mail Brooks and find out what's going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32nd&Wallace
12-05-2005, 11:44 AM

The CSN Chicago operation is "shaky".... the morning scores show has not produced the numbers hoped for and the Tribune Live show has been a disaster.

Their formula has worked very well in Philadelphia but Chicago has not warmed up to it.
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/shows.aspReally? I love Comcast's programming. In fact, I can't see how anyone in Chicago does not see it as a better alternative to ESPN

jdm2662
12-05-2005, 11:45 AM
The way Comcast was in general the past year, not just the Cleveland game, I wouldn't doubt the higher ups in Phily where not pleased with how things turned out. Anyone remember the first Bulls playoff game? The game wasn't even working on both HD or the regular station until well into the second half. I couldn't count the number of other times where the feed kept dying, or the audio was messed up. Sportsvision had the same problems in it's early days. However, at least cable tv wasn't as polished as it is today. Once the 90s came around, and with the name change, the old Sportschannel had very few issues compared from before. It appeared Comcast was being ran worse than channel 26 at times.

As for Hawk, I will not shed any tears if he gets replaced. I think the higher ups from Comcast made an issue about him, which might have explained his vacation during the playoffs. He got worse than ever this year. It got to a point where I finally turned on the radio. That also meant I give up the HD feed, but I just couldn't stand him anymore. Listening to him at times sounded like a little game shown on Public Access.

DaveIsHere
12-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Really? I love Comcast's programming. In fact, I can't see how anyone in Chicago does not see it as a better alternative to ESPN
I agree, while it is not polished and perfect it is all Chicago and I am not getting Boston and NY shoved down my throat. With time I am sure it will improve, but it does beat the Hell out of ESPN

RallyBowl
12-05-2005, 11:49 AM
:hawk

"Gary Thorne and Steve Lyons? Where are they gonna broadcast?"

MUsoxfan
12-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Finally, Hawk would cost the Score more than Rooney would have.

Not a chance. Rooney is one of the most sought-after voices in sports. Just like Cardinals management said "John Rooney is a guy that should NEVER become available."

patbooyah
12-05-2005, 12:05 PM
the main problem with comcast chicago is the production value.

for example, their ad for the chicago bears postgame show has all the hosts looking at the camera, but the lighting is so bright it makes them all look like ghosts.

throw in the technical difficulties and a studio that looks like it is the inside of a conversion van and you've got a very amatuer seeming production.

the content is always good, but when it seems like you're watching cable access/sportschannel from the mid-80s, i can see why people would flip.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 12:13 PM
the main problem with comcast chicago is the production value.

Back in 1986 the old Sportsvision actually used a cable LO studio in Oak Park for everything except the Sports Reporters.

Comcast's set in Philadelphia is top notch, however managers in Chicago "skimped"

But for a few bucks you can make anything look good..NESN uses an old radio studio from the 30's inside Fenway Park but they paid WGBH to design the set. It shows

http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/wgbhscenics/gallery/gallery_pages/nesn1.html

Kogs35
12-05-2005, 12:19 PM

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/shows.asp

tribune live is a bad show because the guest they have on r horrible. no1 cares to see the avani paptel or what ever her name is on the show 3 days week. no 1 cares for bill jaus, or dan mgrath. its not fresh anymore

dickallen15
12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Not a chance. Rooney is one of the most sought-after voices in sports. Just like Cardinals management said "John Rooney is a guy that should NEVER become available."

Rooney signed for $500,000 a year. Hawk makes more than that, and he wouldn't take a paycut to go to make room for Thorne and Lyons.

patbooyah
12-05-2005, 12:21 PM
But for a few bucks you can make anything look good..NESN uses an old radio studio from the 30's inside Fenway Park but they paid WGBH to design the set. It shows

http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/wgbhscenics/gallery/gallery_pages/nesn1.html

i agree! that set looks nice. i mean, for christ's sake, at least get a decent desk and use wood laminate instead of shag carpeting.

mdep524
12-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Hmmm, very interesting. Though I don't believe for a second it will happen (Hawk would sooner retire, IMO), the idea of a shake up like this is intriguing to me. The broadcasts have gotten very stale, and doing anything could be a shot in the arm. My idea scenario is still Hawk/Stone on TV and Farmer/DJ on the radio for '06. Then see if we can coax Black Jack in down the line in few years.

MUsoxfan
12-05-2005, 12:28 PM
tribune live is a bad show because the guest they have on r horrible. no1 cares to see the avani paptel or what ever her name is on the show 3 days week. no 1 cares for bill jaus, or dan mgrath. its not fresh anymore

English teachers of your past must be so proud

RallyBowl
12-05-2005, 12:32 PM

What about Teddy Greenstein and Gilbert Gottfreid?

chisox
12-05-2005, 12:45 PM
What about Teddy Greenstein and Gilbert Gottfreid?

oh jesus, that tandem would be the leading cause of suicide in the chicagoland area.

i've resigned myself to expecting little to nothing from local televised sports coverage.

dickallen15
12-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I also have a hard time believing Comcast would actually think Gary Thorne and Steve Lyons would have more viewers than Hawk and whoever else they put next to him. Love him or hate him, Hawk is an institution.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I also have a hard time believing Comcast would actually think Gary Thorne and Steve Lyons would have more viewers than Hawk and whoever else they put next to him. Love him or hate him, Hawk is an institution.

Except Thorne will sign shoes for the clients.

Thorne has a national reputation that ad agencies love. His problem at ESPN is he could do 2 sports, hockey and baseball and now they don't have hockey. Sean McDonough who is getting Gary's games can also do basketball and football.

Look NOBODY will not watch a White Sox game if Hawk isn't there ( except Mrs. Hawk ) and in 2006 they will have more viewers than ever before.

Dolly
12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Can they do this? Hawk's contract goes until 2008... :?:

dickallen15
12-05-2005, 01:09 PM

Thorne has a national reputation that ad agencies love. His problem at ESPN is he could do 2 sports, hockey and baseball and now they don't have hockey. Sean McDonough who is getting Gary's games can also do basketball and football.

Look NOBODY will not watch a White Sox game if Hawk isn't there ( except Mrs. Hawk ) and in 2006 they will have more viewers than ever before.

That may be true, but even though Hawk has his detractors, the majority of those watching are big fans of his. As far as Thorne's national reputation, look, he did Sox games, and I'm one of the only people on a board of Sox fanatics who remembers him. That can't be too encouraging. Also he did hockey, one of the lowest rated things on television. I think cable access shows draw higher. He's not going to get much of a reputation from White Sox fans for that.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 01:10 PM

as said at the beginning "It's Hawks call"

not like he getting fired or anything, he still be doing 162 games

dickallen15
12-05-2005, 01:15 PM
as said at the beginning "It's Hawks call"

not like he getting fired or anything, he still be doing 162 games

But it would be a different employer, one that didn't want to go higher than $250,000 a year with Rooney. Hawk makes significantly more than that. This whole scenerio doesn't make sense. They only way it would is if Farmer moved to television and was Hawk's color guy.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 01:21 PM
But it would be a different employer, one that didn't want to go higher than $250,000 a year with Rooney. Hawk makes significantly more than that. This whole scenerio doesn't make sense. They only way it would is if Farmer moved to television and was Hawk's color guy.

One thing is clear SOMETHING is holding it up.

spongyfungy
12-05-2005, 01:44 PM
a few points :

Dead air is not good for radio.

Gary Thorne, to me, is a once-a-week voice.

Comcast Sports Net channel is a good channel and everything Fox Sports Net Chicago wanted to be. The upcoming White Sox programming is a testament to that.

The set is lame, the graphics are lame and they'll probably end up broadcasting with a glass window in the background with a crowd watching in the background.

I guess this is the end of DJ.. :whiner:

slavko
12-05-2005, 01:49 PM

Therefore, somebody's going to be paying him that $500K until then. It's not going to be WSCR. Does Comcast want him gone badly enough to eat the half-mil? I think not.

Thorne? Competent but blah. Both of the outlets are being handed a bonanza and are in the process of biffing it up.

gowhitesox
12-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Things wouldn't be the same on WGN with out Ken Harrelson's, "you can put it on board, YEESSS!!"

Even though Comcast may have the right to choose announcers for games they televise, I am sure the White Sox would have a little to say on that. I like Steve Lyons would like to see him broadcasting Sox games. Wondering if the Sox would move DJ to radio?

downstairs
12-05-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't believe anyone would want to move Hawk. Even if they didn't like him for internal political/personal reasons... he's very marketable. More marketable than nearly every other local TV broadcaster out there.

His phrases- like them or not- have caught on a bit (more so than you'd expect from a LOCAL announcer in a midwest city) with the Boo-Ya crowd.

At the same time he also appeals to purists who dispise the Boo-Ya crowd.

He's staying as long as he's alive. Guarunteed.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 02:01 PM
This and that:

If Fenway is correct I wouldn't have any problems with this set up. Thorne is competent and I still remember how when he worked at ESPN in 1990 (with Norm Hitzgins) he talked about the Sox 1990 start and how they were going to be the surprise team of the season. It removes Darrin jackson and in my opinion improves the overall quality of the announcers.

Basically you trade Jackson for Thorne and Lyons which I would do in a heartbeat.

The Fox issue wouldn't cause a conflict for the Sox at all. Remember in the mid 90's when the ill fated 'The Baseball Network' was around Hawk was allowed to leave and broadcast a regional game for them. Jackson himself has been allowed to leave to do Fox Regional Games so I'm sure the Sox and Lyons and the radio station can reach an accomodation.

Lip

Steelrod
12-05-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm not a fan of Hawk....but prefer him to any of the alternatives presented here! I hope no one in power uses these suggestions in order to fill the spot!

dickallen15
12-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Things wouldn't be the same on WGN with out Ken Harrelson's, "you can put it on board, YEESSS!!"

Even though Comcast may have the right to choose announcers for games they televise, I am sure the White Sox would have a little to say on that. I like Steve Lyons would like to see him broadcasting Sox games. Wondering if the Sox would move DJ to radio?

That's the problem with this whole scenerio. WGN isn't going to want Thorne and Lyons over Hawk and whoever, and I still take nothing from the fact DJ wasn't at the rally. He has an infant and he lives in California. WGN is going to want Hawk to call the games on their station. It would make the whole broadcasting situation chaotic to say the least. I don't believe Hawk is going to move to radio at all. It just doesn't seem too realistic.

DenverSock
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't remember Thorne doing any Sox games, must have missed it. But, count me as one of those who would like to see Harrelson replaced. I won't go into a bunch of hype about it, but he is not a good announcer in my opinion. The other guy, DJ, seems like he's a beginner even now. Nice enough guy, but maybe he should look for another line of work.

Just my opinion, and I don't wish to get heated up about it, but almost anybody would be an upgrade. We have a champion team now, and great fans. It's time to have a decent broadcast team.

I'm not sure if Thorne would be good, but honestly, can he be as bad as Harrelson?

I'm neither a booster nor a critic and Hawk annoys me plenty of times, but at least he's a character.

rocky biddle
12-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Hawk has really grown on me. It's kinda like that episode of Seinfeld when George leaves things behind at that girls apt. because he wants to get inside her head like a commercial jingle- 'Co-Stanza'. That's how I feel about Hawk. At first I didn't really care for him but I've really warmed up to him and now find myself casually throwing Hawkisms into everyday life. I'd hate to see him go. As for DJ...

1951Campbell
12-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Selfishly speaking, as one who gets most of my Sox fix on XM, I'd love to hear Hawk on the radio.

That's the first thing I thought when I read this rumor.

CLR01
12-05-2005, 04:24 PM
That's the problem with this whole scenerio. WGN isn't going to want Thorne and Lyons over Hawk and whoever, and I still take nothing from the fact DJ wasn't at the rally. He has an infant and he lives in California. WGN is going to want Hawk to call the games on their station. It would make the whole broadcasting situation chaotic to say the least. I don't believe Hawk is going to move to radio at all. It just doesn't seem too realistic.

That wouldn't be a problem at all. WGN could simply broadcast the radio feed. Ofcourse that is assuming Hawk would agree to do radio.

CLR01
12-05-2005, 04:27 PM

You are probably right (I am sure there will be a few more than just Mrs. Hawk) but I will make sure I boycott any sponsor of Comcasts if they throw in some yes man corporate suck up.

bayzbol44
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
I WISH this thread was true!!! However, I don't think Hawk is going anywhere, if his contract goes to 2008.

Stroker Ace
12-05-2005, 05:03 PM
I can see a ginormous Hawk boosters vs Hawk bashers thread about to erupt. Maybe even right here!

But I agree with Flight 24 that something was up when Hawk disappeared for the first part of the playoffs, and DJ disappeared altogether. A shakeup had to be in the works.And DJ dissappearing is a bad thing?

antitwins13
12-05-2005, 05:04 PM
:angry: :angry: Ok here's my rant. This is total BS for one and is total speculation. For two TV ratings would plummet if Hawk and DJ were broken up, for three Steve Lyons sucks!, and for four I love DJ and I want him to stay!

MrRoboto83
12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Hawk and Farmer on the radio would be a nightmare. Hawk and Farmer on TV I could put up with. I already miss Rooney.:whiner:

34 Inch Stick
12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
For two TV ratings would plummet if Hawk and DJ were broken up, !

I, for one, know that I would no longer watch the World Champions' drive to repeat if this awkward pairing was no longer in the booth.

MsSoxVixen22
12-05-2005, 05:51 PM
I seriously hope Hawk is staying-I love the Hawk. As for DJ, I don't wanna see him leave either but if he does I won't be anywhere NEAR as upset as I would be if Hawk left.

dickallen15
12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
That wouldn't be a problem at all. WGN could simply broadcast the radio feed. Ofcourse that is assuming Hawk would agree to do radio.
Since WGN doesn't own the radio feed, it would present a huge problem. Also, broadcasting a game on television and on radio are totally different.

Optipessimism
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't mind DJ doing the pregame and postgame on CSN alongside of Melton (although I don't know if CSN would even think of doing that). I think Melton alone is pretty bland but maybe DJ next to him would provide a nice contrast in personalities and make for some interesting discussions.

BTW, please stop the requests for Stone and Hawk in the same booth. Both are natural color commentators and we need a true PBP man. Why Rooney wasn't given whatever the hell he wanted and put in the TV booth is beyond me.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
I, for one, know that I would no longer watch the World Champions' drive to repeat if this awkward pairing was no longer in the booth.
If I'm reading this right...
:tealpolice:

Tragg
12-05-2005, 07:24 PM
The only thing that gives this even the slightest shred of credibiility was Hawk's behaviour during the playoffs. Hiding out in FL as if he was pissed, and when interviewed, sounding bitter towards the organization albiet not directly.

What pi$$ed him off?
We could do a lot worse than Thorne.
Lyons should be a good #2 guy.

I like the idea.

TomBradley72
12-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Hawk CANNOT do radio. His whole approach...casual..telling stories...etc...only works on TV when you can see for yourself what is really going on. Counting on Farmer/Hawk to clearly describe the action on radio..would be hopeless.

Only in the world of corporate media ownership could post-World Series moves include losing one of the best in the business (Rooney) and move the one guy that makes the TV broadcasts interesting regardless of the score of the game..Hawk to radio. While we're at it...let's bring back the great Wsox announcers of the past: JC Martin, Early Wynn, Del Crandall, Lou Brock, Mary Shane, Bud Kelly...

soxfan43
12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
While I love Hawk and would hate to see him move to radio, Gary Thorne is solid. I've heard more of his hockey calls than baseball, but he's got a great voice and would not be a bad change.

gowhitesox
12-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I remember when Tom Paciorek did Sox telecasts with Ken Harrellson. Paciorek drove me crazy and when DJ came, I enjoyed the telecasts alot more. Keep the TV announcers they same.

NardiWasHere
12-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Hawk has been with the Sox for 20+ years in some capacity. We know JR is almost loyal to a fault.....

Why would the Organization allow this to happen? Don't they have to approve any booth changes in TV and Radio? I don't believe this is even a possibility at this point.

TornLabrum
12-05-2005, 09:30 PM

No, they wouldn't. Radio and TV are two different beasts requiring two different styles of PBP announcing.

MRKARNO
12-05-2005, 09:45 PM
I really don't know about Hawk being on the radio. A radio announcers job is to paint a verbal picture of the game as it happens and that's what Rooney did so well (and what people like Jon Miller can do so well). Farmer can do it decently, but nothing like Rooney. Hawk might be able to, but he would definitely have to change his style.

I am a proponent of the Thorne/Lyons combo on TV however. I think Gary Thorne is an excellent TV play by play guy and that Lyons is one of the better analysts out there.

Brian26
12-05-2005, 10:18 PM
The top brass in Philadelphia is pushing for a TV team of Gary Thorne and Steve Lyons with Hawk moving to radio. Thorne has been pushed out of ESPN with the loss of hockey and giving Sean McDonough more baseball next summer.

This is beyond awful, in my opinion. Gary Thorne's one year here in Chicago, 1989, was the worst broadcasting year ever for the Sox. He is as vanilla and generic as any broadcaster could possibly be, and I just can't comprehend why this could even be discussed with a straight face. Why would you remove Hawk, the face of the organization for the past 20 years, for some carpet-bagger from New York who's best talent is calling hockey games? This is disgusting. Up until this year, the Sox always had final say on the announcers. Now, the Score has pushed Rooney out while Comcast in Philadelphia is dicating what tv announcers we use.

Brian26
12-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I am a proponent of the Thorne/Lyons combo on TV

Don't get me wrong. I'm a proponent of that combo too....doing the Blue Jays vs. the Orioles on ESPN. I don't want them anywhere near the Sox.

Can anyone here try to imagine Gary Thorne capturing the excitement of Joe Crede's Sept 20 walkoff homer versus the Indians like Hawk did? If Fenway is telling the truth, this is ludicrous.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm only passing on what my friend at Comcast Philly was telling me. It has been a rocky 14 months for Comcast SportsNet in Chicago and they want to make some changes. Most will be behind the camera but my friend said one thing that Hawk drove them crazy on was not doing all the promos they wanted.

i agree! that set looks nice. i mean, for christ's sake, at least get a decent desk and use wood laminate instead of shag carpeting.

Tom Werner runs NESN and while one can question his baseball background, his track record in television speaks for itself ( Cosby, Roseanne, Third Rock etc )

He brought in a woman from Toronto (Hazel Mae) to do Sportsdesk and the ratings tripled....

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/03/21/1111439718_7230.jpg

Lip Man 1
12-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Hawk and Don Drysdale was doing some Sox games on radio as late as 1983. (I have a tape of them doing it) They seemed to do fine.

I passed on Fenway's info to a friend of mine in the Chicago media. He said he will look into it. He didn't think it will happen but added that something is causing an unusual delay in this. He also stated he asked Mitch Rosen if something on the TV side was delaying the radio announcement and Rosen said no.

We'll see.

Lip

HotelWhiteSox
12-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Any update on Steiner, fenway? Thanks for passing the info along, don't get mad at him if suits are going to mess up the booth, he's just passing what he hears and I am very grateful as both the TV and Radio issues and the lack of updates on both have had me confused.

This is obviously the work of Brooks. What better way to encourage fans to get season tickets than to hire horrible broadcasters?

Coolpapa
12-06-2005, 02:38 AM
If I remember the split between the Sox and Thorn was rather ugly. He's a bore I'd rather hear Neil Funk.

IowaSox1971
12-06-2005, 02:42 AM
Put Hawk with Steve Stone in the TV booth, and, if Thorne has to be hired, have Thorne do the radio broadcasts with Farmer.

I think Hawk is a very good TV play-by-play man, and Stone is the best analyst in the business.

Thorne is an OK announcer, and his one season of work with the White Sox was uneventful, to say the least. But at least he is a professional play-by-play man, and you need that on radio. I know Farmer has been told he would do play-by-play, but perhaps the station or the Sox could give him a little extra money to make things OK.

slavko
12-06-2005, 11:25 AM
While I love Hawk and would hate to see him move to radio, Gary Thorne is solid. I've heard more of his hockey calls than baseball, but he's got a great voice and would not be a bad change.

There's a parallel here with the Jim Durham situation after the Bulls first championship. He had been doing a TV/radio simulcast (except for the WGN-TV games where he did the TV and John Rooney did the radio) and the Bulls wanted to move him to radio only (the Neil Funk role) and have a separate TV crew. That, along with $800K+, and they weren't that far apart on money, is what caused Jim to flee.

SoxRulecubsdrool
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/03/21/1111439718_7230.jpg:b&b
Hey Baby!!!

Fenway
12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey Baby!!!

Hazel actually knows her stuff and has been accepted. But we may lose her back to Canada as TSN up there wants her to anchor their SportsCentre.

Fenway
12-06-2005, 12:19 PM
If I remember the split between the Sox and Thorn was rather ugly. He's a bore I'd rather hear Neil Funk.

Thorne was squeezed out in 1990 when Hawk returned from his ill fated job with the Yankees. New Yorkers couldn't stand him

Iwritecode
12-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Hawk CANNOT do radio. His whole approach...casual..telling stories...etc...only works on TV when you can see for yourself what is really going on. Counting on Farmer/Hawk to clearly describe the action on radio..would be hopeless.

Plus we already have one radio team in Chicago that does that...

Here's the pitch... and it's taken for strike one.

(ramdom story and a few letters from the fans)

...and he pops it up to end the inning.

:)

SoxRulecubsdrool
12-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Hazel actually knows her stuff and has been accepted.

That's great. That's even better!