PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens tearing it up in venezuelan baseball league

JermaineDye05
12-04-2005, 09:06 PM
AVG G AB R H TB 2b 3b HR RBI BB S SB SLG.
.374 39 155 28 58 73 6 3 1 18 21 19 11 .471

that competition for CF is gonna be great

KRS1
12-04-2005, 09:29 PM

The SB #s could be better thats for sure, but one has to be pleased w/ his progress. Everywhere the guy goes he shows he can get on base with regularity. I wonder if KW can convince him to cut his season there short and work w/ Rock on base stealing this off-season instead.

ATXBMX
12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
You should change the S (19) to a K, I thought for a second he had 19 sac bunts.

maggsmaggs
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
The SB #s could be better thats for sure, but one has to be pleased w/ his progress. Everywhere the guy goes he shows he can get on base with regularity. I wonder if KW can convince him to cut his season there short and work w/ Rock on base stealing this off-season instead.

As a top of the order guy, those SB #'s translate into about 40, which is damn good for a guy who is still raw and learning how to use his speed.

Randar68
12-05-2005, 10:38 AM
As a top of the order guy, those SB #'s translate into about 40, which is damn good for a guy who is still raw and learning how to use his speed.
You can't really translate SB numbers from the winter leagues. It is hard enough to do so from the minors, but the winter leagues are a huge ????. The interesting stat missing is CS. His SB/CS numbers weren't great this year, but he was supposedly a better base-stealer than the numbers suggested according to those who saw most of the home games.

40 SB, 10 CS would be a great first year rate for him, IMO, at least initially. He'll get a chance to work with Rock and Pods in Spring Training.

caulfield12
12-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Owens does not have much extra base power.

His statistics are very similar to Pods.

So basically you have a younger and cheaper version of Pods who might be a defensive upgrade but is still a very raw basestealer in terms of technique and success rate.

Man Soo Lee
12-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know if Owens has been playing CF at all in Venezuela? I found box scores for the last couple games and he's been in left.

Owens becomes a less attractive alternative to Anderson if it means Podsednik has to play center.

Randar68
12-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Does anyone know if Owens has been playing CF at all in Venezuela? I found box scores for the last couple games and he's been in left.

Owens becomes a less attractive alternative to Anderson if it means Podsednik has to play center.

He's been playing mostly LF from what I recall. It's not a big deal, IMO. He's better than Pods in CF but it's a shortest-midget-contest regardless.

Chisox003
12-06-2005, 12:57 AM
What a steal..........

KW could be charged with grand larceny for this one.

Can't wait to watch him and BA in spring....Anyone know if comcast will be carrying the games again?

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 09:39 AM
I think Owens will be up for this ST, but I doubt he'll beat out Anderson. In 2007 I believe Owens will be replacing Pods.

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
I think Owens will be up for this ST, but I doubt he'll beat out Anderson. In 2007 I believe Owens will be replacing Pods.

And by extension, and barring trades and further future free-agent signings, in 2007 Anderson would slide over to right to make room for Young in center, correct? (And once Thome's deal is up, Konerko could move to DH with Sweeney taking over at first, yes?)

A young, cheap, home-grown outfield will be key to the Sox retaining their core of starting pitchers given Konerko's contract.

tebman
12-06-2005, 11:11 AM
You can't really translate SB numbers from the winter leagues. It is hard enough to do so from the minors, but the winter leagues are a huge ????. The interesting stat missing is CS. His SB/CS numbers weren't great this year, but he was supposedly a better base-stealer than the numbers suggested according to those who saw most of the home games.

40 SB, 10 CS would be a great first year rate for him, IMO, at least initially. He'll get a chance to work with Rock and Pods in Spring Training.
I don't know anything about the winter league in Venezuela. Does anyone here know how other players' performance there has translated to MLB performance?

I know Ozzie is really high on Owens, and I'm excited about seeing numbers like these. But I've been disappointed before and so I wonder what the chances are of his performance holding up.

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
And by extension, and barring trades and further future free-agent signings, in 2007 Anderson would slide over to right to make room for Young in center, correct? (And once Thome's deal is up, Konerko could move to DH with Sweeney taking over at first, yes?)

A young, cheap, home-grown outfield will be key to the Sox retaining their core of starting pitchers given Konerko's contract.

To keep on a middling budget and yet retain a first-rate collection of SP, something has to give.

I agree.

caulfield12
12-06-2005, 12:51 PM
To keep on a middling budget and yet retain a first-rate collection of SP, something has to give.

I agree.

In 2008, you´re going to be looking at Valido playing SS, if not 2007.

I think Josh Fields or Sweeney will end up at 1B, one or the other.

A lot depends on what happens with Crede and Boras. We don´t have much besides Fields at this point, so his continued development is the best leverage we have in any negotiations, although I would be shocked if Joe was with the team after the 2007 season.

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 01:32 PM
In 2008, you´re going to be looking at Valido playing SS, if not 2007.

A lot depends on what happens with Crede and Boras. We don´t have much besides Fields at this point, so his continued development is the best leverage we have in any negotiations, although I would be shocked if Joe was with the team after the 2007 season.

This is something I think KW is getting very little credit for. He's been moving talented prospects in trades, but kept enough and aquired enough to keep talented players from being trapped at the lower levels for too long. I've seen Valido play and he's solid and I don't believe he comes with quite the baggage (Perez and Vizcaino) that keeps Uribe in top form. Sweeney is a bit further out, I've seen him overmatched before but then seen him adjust at each new level. Fields seems to have the defense down but can he adjust to major league pitching. This ST will really be important for both.

As for Crede, I think if Boras tries to take him elsewhere, then he's being dumb. But I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think Crede hits enough to get big money, a hefty raise this year yes, but not PK money. His defense anywhere else will suffer without Broussard and his playing time anywhere else without Herm Schneider.

Randar68
12-06-2005, 05:00 PM
His defense anywhere else will suffer without Broussard and his playing time anywhere else without Herm Schneider.

HUH?

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2005, 05:09 PM
HUH?

I think he meant Bossard. You meant Bossard, right, bobowhite?

Randar68
12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I think he meant Bossard. You meant Bossard, right, bobowhite?

I figured, but then I went "What the hell does Ben Broussard have to do with Crede's defense anyway?"

LOL!

DumpJerry
12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Doesn't Fields play 3rd and Sweeney OF?
They've been talking about Fields as replacing Crede in '07 when his contract is (or his back gives out)....

MVP
12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
What a steal..........

KW could be charged with grand larceny for this one.

Can't wait to watch him and BA in spring....Anyone know if comcast will be
carrying the games again?

I heard Hawk Harrelson on the radio this weekend. He said that the Sox will be broadcasting another 20+ spring training games in '06. I'm looking forward to seeing these guys battle for the CF spot.

JohnBasedowYoda
12-06-2005, 09:45 PM

Yeah if you extrapolate that out, considering a full 162 game season, it works out to 46 sb's. pretty good if podsednik stays healthy and gets his in.

Fuller_Schettman
12-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I heard Hawk Harrelson on the radio this weekend. He said that the Sox will be broadcasting another 20+ spring training games in '06. I'm looking forward to seeing these guys battle for the CF spot.

The bummer is that Ozzie will see only the last 10 days of camp because of WBC/BS

bobowhite
12-07-2005, 12:49 AM
I figured, but then I went "What the hell does Ben Broussard have to do with Crede's defense anyway?"

LOL!

Apologies on the Frenchification of the name. Herm Schneider is the trainer. According to most people I know with rehab/sports medicine experience (and my sister is a dept head at a U of C hospital in a rehab area) Schneider is the best in the business. He kept Dye healthyhe kept Crede's trips to the DL short. Should Crede depart for a team with a bigger payroll and a lesser trainer he can look forward to more time on the DL. With a bad back that would be a serious consideration. If Crede could play two more years in his career with a great trainer (Schneider) than a bad one don't you think that makes up the difference of a slightly higher salary from going elsewhere? Not according to idiot agents like Boras.

As for what the groundskeeper has to do with fielding the answer is one heck of a lot. A good groundskeeper and the Sox have the best, keeps the grass and dirt in optimal shape for clean fielding. At 3B, the "hot corner" where more of your plays are line drives or bunts than anywhere else, the difference between true hops and even slightly untrue ones makes all the difference in the world. As in, an error versus a clean play. Should Crede leave and go to somewhere with a less skilled groundskeeper, then his fielding percentage would go down. Does Boras care?

SOX ADDICT '73
12-07-2005, 01:13 AM

LOL!
He hit the most line drives and grounders to third base of any Sox opponent in '05.

California Sox
12-07-2005, 06:02 PM
As for what the groundskeeper has to do with fielding the answer is one heck of a lot. A good groundskeeper and the Sox have the best, keeps the grass and dirt in optimal shape for clean fielding.

Ah... the Sox groundskeeper is Roger Bossard. Ben Broussard is the platoon first baseman of the Cleveland Indians who single-handedly cost the Indians a playoff birth with his poor play in the last series of the year against the Sox.

bobowhite
12-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Ah... the Sox groundskeeper is Roger Bossard. Ben Broussard is the platoon first baseman of the Cleveland Indians who single-handedly cost the Indians a playoff birth with his poor play in the last series of the year against the Sox.

Roger, if you are reading this I apologize. You are the best groundskeeper in the majors. Keep up the good (no that word should be GREAT) work.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Jerry Owens update at the All-Star break.

Played all 42 games in LF.

.365 average (ties for league lead), 167 AB's, 8 2B, 3 3B, 1 HR, 19 RBI, 29 R, 21 BB, 20 K, 11 SB, 4 CS.

Lot's of AAA and AAAA type players throughout the league, pretty darn good sign facing that kind of competition.

bobowhite
12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
I think it's great that Owens is doing so well there. It does bode better for him to do well there than to stink up the joint. I just don't think it means anything like he's a guarenteed starter or even likely to make the 25-man roster.

Good, not great.

I believe he will be up briefly for the Sox this coming year and then up full time the following year, 2007. I expect him to have a good year at Charlotte.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I think it's great that Owens is doing so well there. It does bode better for him to do well there than to stink up the joint. I just don't think it means anything like he's a guarenteed starter or even likely to make the 25-man roster.

I agree you can't read too much into winter league stats.

maurice
12-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Played all 42 games in LF.

In other words, don't expect to see both Podsednik and Owens starting for the Sox any time soon (if ever). Anderson is almost a lock to depart Spring Training as the starting CF in 2006. Barring injury, he'll keep the job until (and unless) Young takes it away from him, IMO.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-10-2005, 04:22 PM
So basically you have a younger and cheaper version of Pods .

Pods is cheap, I think he only made $500K last year.

caulfield12
12-11-2005, 09:49 AM

$700,000

Randar68
12-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Pods makes 1.925 million in 2006.