PDA

View Full Version : Should the Marlins get rid of Willis?

PKalltheway
12-04-2005, 08:40 PM
The Marlins are basically having a huge fire sale right now. There is no way in the world they can win with the team they have now, let alone having Dontrelle Willis in the starting rotation. Should the Marlins consider getting rid of Willis as well? It doesn't make a bit of difference since they got rid of all of their other good players.

Daver
12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
The Marlins are basically having a huge fire sale right now. There is no way in the world they can win with the team they have now, let alone having Dontrelle Willis in the starting rotation. Should the Marlins consider getting rid of Willis as well? It doesn't make a bit of difference since they got rid of all of their other good players.

Why would they get rid of a player that they own the rights to, cheap, for another three years at least?

PKalltheway
12-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Why would they get rid of a player that they own the rights to, cheap, for another three years at least?

They're cleaning house. You might as well just trade him. They traded Beckett.

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 08:48 PM

But isn't Dontrelle their property for another 4-5 years? The Marlins plan to be competitive by the end of that time, so keeping Dontrelle would be the smart thing to do.

PKalltheway
12-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, I guess you have a point there.

antitwins13
12-04-2005, 08:57 PM

You don't clean house with your the man you're building the future of your franchise around.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Beckett was primarily traded to unload Lowell's contract I'm thinking. Willis is the last drawing card the team has other than Cabrera. I think he will be traded eventually, but not right now.

y2j2785
12-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I remember hearing that the Marlins said they would listen to offers for anyone on the team except for Willis and Cabrera.

cbrownson13
12-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Yep, Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera are completely off limits.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Willis sells tickets.

They are doing exactly what they should do in a fire sale: dumping players that they can't afford (Delgado) as well as overpaid mediocre veterans (Pierre, Lowell, LoDuca). Mota and Beckett were necessities to get someone to stomach Lowell. LoDuca and Pierre have their takers because of the quality shortage at their positions (which makes our OF prospects even MORE valuable; and they didn't get much for LoDuca and they aren't going to get much for Pierre either). The mistake they made was being so rigid in their demands in July - they could have gotten something for Burnett (like McCarthy - aggghhhh).

Fenway
12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Gammons was saying on WEEI that because of Willis the Marlins may keep Juan Pierre because the two are very close friends.

Jjav829
12-05-2005, 12:17 AM

Yes. Yes, they should. They should trade Willis and Miguel Cabrera to the White Sox for Joe Crede and Jon Garland.

Willis and Cabrera are going nowhere. Those will be the drawing cards for the Marlins and they will be the Marlins leaders in 3-4 years when the Marlins are good again.

elrod
12-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Yes. Yes, they should. They should trade Willis and Miguel Cabrera to the White Sox for Joe Crede and Jon Garland.

Willis and Cabrera are going nowhere. Those will be the drawing cards for the Marlins and they will be the Marlins leaders in 3-4 years when the Marlins are good again.

And given the strange history of the Florida Marlins, I bet they will be very good again in 3 years too. I just hope they have a home then.

getonbckthr
12-05-2005, 12:52 AM
When the sale started they said they needed to cut salary in order to give Willis and Cabrera expensive long term deals.

chaerulez
12-05-2005, 01:12 AM

Beckett is up for free agency in a year or so. Willis and Cabrea will not be for another three-four. Therefore they will be cheap for the talent they bring. The Marlins are trading everyone else because they are costing a lot.

Banix12
12-05-2005, 02:02 AM
When the sale started they said they needed to cut salary in order to give Willis and Cabrera expensive long term deals.

Ah, but now that there is nobody on the team but rookies and them, and the marlins are stuck with a low payroll, what motivation do they have to sign long term deals with the marlins? If I were them I would take my arbitration and try to find a bigger payday elsewhere with a team that realistically can win. though that all depends on the shape of the franchise in 3 years.

ilsox7
12-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Ah, but now that there is nobody on the team but rookies and them, and the marlins are stuck with a low payroll, what motivation do they have to sign long term deals with the marlins? If I were them I would take my arbitration and try to find a bigger payday elsewhere with a team that realistically can win. though that all depends on the shape of the franchise in 3 years.

I would assume the Marlins plan is to be competitive by the time their arbitration years end. That way there is incentive to stick around b/c they will get the big contracts on a team filled mostly with young, talented players making small money. It worked for them once, so it just may work again.

SOXintheBURGH
12-05-2005, 03:49 AM

Exactly. This franchise won more championships since I turned 23 than we have since my great great grandfather did.

That's like the equivalent of us trading Rowand for power hitting.

MiamiSpartan
12-05-2005, 07:19 AM
They might as well trade Willis and Cabrera while they are both coming off great years. They're gonna suck for a few years, anyhow, and you might as well pick up phenom prospects, so when they are settled into their new home, the team will be on the upswing...

Flight #24
12-05-2005, 10:29 AM

It's quite simple. They're not eligible for FA, so it's either go on the year to year arbitration contracts for 3-4 years, or sign a guaranteed, decent-to-big-money deal and still hit FA in their primes. There's no doubt which option they'll take, the only question is how much they'll get.

daveeym
12-05-2005, 12:42 PM
It's quite simple. They're not eligible for FA, so it's either go on the year to year arbitration contracts for 3-4 years, or sign a guaranteed, decent-to-big-money deal and still hit FA in their primes. There's no doubt which option they'll take, the only question is how much they'll get. Not only that but the Marlin's back load all those contracts, probably offering over market value for the life of the contract, and then trade em all for prospects and start over before having to pay off those later years.