PDA

View Full Version : Marlins trade LoDuca to the Mets

HotelWhiteSox
12-04-2005, 05:55 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/371588p-316146c.html

for "one of the Mets' top pitching prospects, 21-year-old righthander Gaby Hernandez, a Miami high school product, and another minor leaguer pitcher to be named"

Sounds like only Pierre remains now

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/players/04/05/mascots0411/t1_mascot.jpg

We still don't have pitching!

beckett21
12-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Wow.

The mass exodus/fire sale continues.

Admittedly I know nothing about this prospect, but this whole situation has gotten completely out of hand. It's laughable that MLB just stands by and does nothing.

How many more pitching prospects do the Marlins need? Who is going to play second base for them--Jeff Conine?

:tool

"I see no problem with any of this. "

:(:

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Wow.

The mass exodus/fire sale continues.

Admittedly I know nothing about this prospect, but this whole situation has gotten completely out of hand. It's laughable that MLB just stands by and does nothing.

How many more pitching prospects do the Marlins need? Who is going to play second base for them--Jeff Conine?

:(:

Willie Harris. And he'll lead off, too.

santo=dorf
12-04-2005, 06:06 PM
They still have to get rid of Ron Villone too (terrible deadline acquisition .)

Why did the Marlins become the Pirates by bending over and helping the competition in the same ****ing division?

I'm guessing the only players on teh Marlins not making the league minimum next season are Cabrera and Willis.

DickAllen72
12-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Willie Harris. And he'll lead off, too.

Right now that looks like a real strong possibility.

The only question is who would the Sox get in return. Do they really want Pierre? Maybe they can trade Willie for Pierre and then flip him to someone else--Who do the Cubs/Yankees have that interest the Sox?? Or maybe a three way with another team...

Who else do the Marlins have that the Sox could get from them for Harris?

Daver
12-04-2005, 06:14 PM

A bag of used baseballs and a fungo bat.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 06:14 PM
They still have to get rid of Ron Villone too (terrible acquisition last offseason.)

Why did the Marlins become the Pirates by bending over and helping the competition in the same ****ing division?

I'm guessing the only players on teh Marlins not making the league minimum next season are Cabrera and Willis.
Because there are only a handful of teams that would have been willing to take on the high (Delgado) and bad (LoDuca, Lowell) contracts: Boston, NY, NY.

Chisox003
12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
This is weird, because I thought for sure the Mets would be in the hunt for Ramon Hernandez or Bengie Molina.

It should be interesting to see where those guys end up.......

Banix12
12-04-2005, 06:19 PM
If i'm Joe Girardi right now I'm typing up a resignation letter and waiting for an actual job to open up.

Can't wait to see spring training, so many positional battles.

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Right now that looks like a real strong possibility.

The only question is who would the Sox get in return. Do they really want Pierre? Maybe they can trade Willie for Pierre and then flip him to someone else--Who do the Cubs/Yankees have that interest the Sox?? Or maybe a three way with another team...

Willie will probably be non-tendered.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I have to agree, but even if he wasn't non-tendered I would bet the best we could get for him is a PTBNL or some low level prospect. Though who knows, the sox got Jerry Owens for Alex Escobar, but not all GM's are as dumb as Bowden.

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 06:57 PM
I have to agree, but even if he wasn't non-tendered I would bet the best we could get for him is a PTBNL or some low level prospect. Though who knows, the sox got Jerry Owens for Alex Escobar, but not all GM's are as dumb as Bowden.

I say they sell Willie for the cost of two season tickets, then donate the tickets to charity.

Brian26
12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
The Marlins and Mets already made a deal a week ago for Delgado. The fact that LoDuca wasn't involved in that initial trade should tell you how serious and drastic this Marlins fire sale is. They're giving guys away.

Even if we don't need Pierre, KW should be on the horn right now to block someone else from getting him.

MiamiSpartan
12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Geez, the Mets are gonna be good next year. Hopefully, they'll be able to take the NL East Crown from the perrenial playoff chokers the Braves...

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Even if we don't need Pierre, KW should be on the horn right now to block someone else from getting him.

:KW
Willie Harris for Pierre, Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis. Straight up. That's my final offer.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 07:18 PM

I say we get something for him.
Also, as of now, we need him; hopefully, that will change.

Palehose13
12-04-2005, 07:44 PM
I'd love to get Cabrera off their hands. What will it take? :cool:

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 07:47 PM
I say we get something for him.
Also, as of now, we need him; hopefully, that will change.

Don't we only have about 10 days to get a trade done before he is non-tendered? Maybe KW gets something, but I can't see it being more than a low level "prospect."

Banix12
12-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Making a lineup and starting rotation out of what they have on the roster right now and I'll cut out Pierre since he's likely gone.

1. OF Jeremy Hermida
2. SS Hanley Ramirez
3. 1b Mike Jacobs
4. 3b Miguel Cabrera
5. C Josh Willingham
6. 2b Josh Wilson
7. OF Chris Aquila
8. OF Eric Reed

SP Dontrelle Willis
SP Scott Olsen
SP Jason Vargas
SP Yusmeiro Petit
SP Anibal Sanchez/ poss. Ron Villone

Talent there, should be more depending on the Pierre trade, but man it is going to be a rough year.

VenturaFan23
12-04-2005, 08:02 PM
If i'm Joe Girardi right now I'm typing up a resignation letter and waiting for an actual job to open up.

Can't wait to see spring training, so many positional battles.

No kidding. I wonder if the GM told Girardi there was going to be a fire sale when he was hired. Otherwise, he might be saying, "What the hell did I get myself into out here?!"

nodiggity59
12-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Making a lineup and starting rotation out of what they have on the roster right now and I'll cut out Pierre since he's likely gone.

1. OF Jeremy Hermida
2. SS Hanley Ramirez
3. 1b Mike Jacobs
4. 3b Miguel Cabrera
5. C Josh Willingham
6. 2b Josh Wilson
7. OF Chris Aquila
8. OF Eric Reed

SP Dontrelle Willis
SP Scott Olsen
SP Jason Vargas
SP Yusmeiro Petit
SP Anibal Sanchez/ poss. Ron Villone

Talent there, should be more depending on the Pierre trade, but man it is going to be a rough year.

Personally, I love the fire sale. I think the Fish could have done better with some of the deals, but not too much better, and I know they are weakening the Mets down the line by dumping all their older players into NY. If I were in the same position of having to reduce payroll by $20mil or so, I'd reboot as well. Holding onto Willis and Cabrera will bring them more juicy talent when they know how what their needs are after their young guys develop.

beckett21
12-04-2005, 08:19 PM
I'd love to get Cabrera off their hands. What will it take? :cool:

You and about 30 other teams. :D:

Cabrera and Willis are going nowhere. The team will need them to be the faces of the franchise when they finally move to their new locale. Everyone else goes so that those two can stay.

tadscout
12-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I wonder what the Marlins forums are like right now... Probably a combo of- :angry: and:whiner:

I wish I still had the link.

beckett21
12-04-2005, 08:24 PM
I wonder what the Marlins forums are like right now... Probably a combo of- :angry: and:whiner:

I wish I still had the link.

Meltdown city (http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/)

I really feel sorry for those guys. :(:

tadscout
12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
LOL:roflmao:

Billy The Marlin has gone into exile... (http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54061)

beckett21
12-04-2005, 08:32 PM
LOL:roflmao:

Billy The Marlin has gone into exile... (http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54061)

I really like the Pierre and LoDuca shots. :rolling:

Tragg
12-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Don't we only have about 10 days to get a trade done before he is non-tendered? Maybe KW gets something, but I can't see it being more than a low level "prospect."

There are worse players than Willie Harris. IN fact, he's hit decently the last 2 years and has speed that everyone seems to love (in fact, a higher OBP than the great Juan Pierre last year); we know he's a goofy ballplayer, but hide the name, and just look at his stats, and people would want him as a back-up infielder. He's also learned to walk a bit the last couple of years, a skill in stark short supply on this ball-club. (it would be nice if Uribe and Osuna could learn to walk a little)
After all, we actually gave up a AA pitcher for Blum.

The Deacon
12-04-2005, 08:48 PM
The only question that really remains.. will Las Vegas actually get a MLB team?? What other market can support one?

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
There are worse players than Willie Harris. IN fact, he's hit decently the last 2 years and has speed that everyone seems to love (in fact, a higher OBP than the great Juan Pierre last year); we know he's a goofy ballplayer, but hide the name, and just look at his stats, and people would want him as a back-up infielder. He's also learned to walk a bit the last couple of years, a skill in stark short supply on this ball-club. (it would be nice if Uribe and Osuna could learn to walk a little)

But Willie has made it known that he wants to start somewhere. At some point, I can't see him meshing with this team, believing he should be a starter elsewhere. With Ozuna on the team already, I just don't see a place for Willie, again. Ozuna is essentially the same player: a fast infielder who can play 3 positions in a pinch.

DickAllen72
12-04-2005, 09:19 PM

Plus, Willie is the best defensive 2B on the White Sox roster. Anyone who thinks the Sox are going to non-tender him is mistaken.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Plus, Willie is the best defensive 2B on the White Sox roster. Anyone who thinks the Sox are going to non-tender him is mistaken.
I confess not watching him play much in the field, but if that's true then he definitely has some value, considering the way he's hit the last 2 years. Whether he can hit like that over a season is in question.

He's a better player than Ozuna, is he not? Maybe he can't play 3rd, but he can play short and if we sign Mueller, we wouldn't need him to play 3rd.

A guy with a cardinals blog suggests that Jockety has inquired - and considering that they had the epitome of mediocre veteran at 2b, Grudzielanek there, I can see why. If he can field and looking at this batting stats, it looks like he can play 2b.

No way we should give him away. I've seen suggestions that we trade for players worse than him, and we should get something in return.