PDA

View Full Version : Paul Byrd signs with Cleveland

monkeypants
12-04-2005, 03:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5137224

JUribe1989
12-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Hefty payment for a guy who throws non-stop junk and his best pitch is a mediocre 1-fingered changeup. I've never been impressed with him and neither have Sox hitters. We didn't get him in Game 1 of the ALCS, but when we saw him again we had his number. Maybe this means Millwood is gone for sure.

Unregistered
12-04-2005, 03:08 PM
If Cleveland essentially replaced Millwood with Byrd, the Sox are looking good in '06.

Soxzilla
12-04-2005, 03:18 PM
If Cleveland essentially replaced Millwood with Byrd, the Sox are looking good in '06.

What do you mean...with this move, sports mediots are already wondering if they can find a place higher than first for the 2006, 07, 08, and 09 World Series Champion Cleveland Wahoos.

santo=dorf
12-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Poor Royals, they offered him 3 years and more money, and he still turned them down.

I'd rather face this guy than Millwood in a career year.

wsox3505
12-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Tribe will finish 3rd in 2006.

munchman33
12-04-2005, 04:18 PM

Not likely. But I like your enthusiasm. :smile:

oeo
12-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Not likely. But I like your enthusiasm. :smile:

I think it's possible, depending on what the Twins do the rest of the offseason. The Indians do not have the starting pitching or the bullpen they had last year in which they were on that huge run. They're going to score a lot of runs, but if their pitching can't hold their opponents, they're in trouble. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the 2006 World Champion Cleveland Indians could have a third place finish.

Jjav829
12-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Not a bad signing. He's a decent pitcher, though not as good as Millwood. This should take them out of the running for Millwood. Their 2006 rotation would be: C.C. Sabathia, Jake Westbrook, Cliff Lee, Paul Byrd and ____________. Depending on the 5th starter, that could be a good rotation if Sabathia pitches well for the whole season. It's not as good as ours could be, but it's not bad either.

DSpivack
12-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I think it's possible, depending on what the Twins do the rest of the offseason. The Indians do not have the starting pitching or the bullpen they had last year in which they were on that huge run. They're going to score a lot of runs, but if their pitching can't hold their opponents, they're in trouble. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the 2006 World Champion Cleveland Indians could have a third place finish.

I see your point, but who would finish ahead of them? Minnesota? Detroit? Kansas City? I just can't see any of those teams being better.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Actually I thought he was the one pitcher the Angels had that made the sox look foolish. Though I would still rather see him on the mound that Millwood.

wsox3505
12-04-2005, 05:15 PM
I see your point, but who would finish ahead of them? Minnesota? Detroit? Kansas City? I just can't see any of those teams being better.

as far as pitching is concerned (which is the most important aspect), i would rather have the combination of santana, radke, silva, (lohse, baker, or liriano) plus twins pen over CC, westbrook, lee, byrdman, and whoever at #5 plus depleted tribe pen.

even if tribe resign wickman or get hoffman, their pen and SP are clearly worse than they were last season, whereas twins have more depth overall.

tribe lineup is better than minny, even with castillo and another bat later this winter. i think both teams are very close in talent, but i expect minny to be slightly better and tribe to take a step back in the standings in 2006. hence, the 3rd place prediction for the tribe.

man, i hate them.

Mr. White Sox
12-04-2005, 05:33 PM
:hijacked:

Has Washburn signed with a team yet?

soxfanreggie
12-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Kansas City would have to pay me quite a bit more to stay with them. With no current commitment to winning, it would be tough to accept a deal from them.

iamkoza
12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Hefty payment for a guy who throws non-stop junk and his best pitch is a mediocre 1-fingered changeup. I've never been impressed with him and neither have Sox hitters. We didn't get him in Game 1 of the ALCS, but when we saw him again we had his number. Maybe this means Millwood is gone for sure.

That second start was off 3 days rest though.... Byrd, if heathly, is a pretty decent #3-4 SP

Lip Man 1
12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't know if this automatically means they are out of the Millwood picture or not. I hope so. Millwood is a tough hombre. A lot of money for a mediocre pitcher coming off an arm injury.

Lip

Exit_Only
12-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Not a bad signing. He's a decent pitcher, though not as good as Millwood. This should take them out of the running for Millwood. Their 2006 rotation would be: C.C. Sabathia, Jake Westbrook, Cliff Lee, Paul Byrd and ____________. Depending on the 5th starter, that could be a good rotation if Sabathia pitches well for the whole season. It's not as good as ours could be, but it's not bad either.

Scott Elarton is a possibility for that 5th spot. If I'm thinking of the right guy, he's the one that looks like a freaking lumberjack on the mound.

If they re-sign him, that gives the Indians a solid rotation.

bobowhite
12-05-2005, 08:29 AM

The Tribe have a good team. If there is one team that will be in a dogfight with the White Sox in 2006 it is the Tribe. Still I like our chances.

wdelaney72
12-05-2005, 08:49 AM
I agree, the Tribe will have a nice rotation going into 2006. It will make for a nice competition, but I still like our rotation better.

soxfanatlanta
12-05-2005, 09:26 AM
You mean we have to see more of his junk next year? Oh joy. Don't get me wrong, I respect the guy, he pitched well in the ALCS with hardly any rest. But man, he is the most un-entertaining pitcher I've seen. Didn't care for him with Atl, and I care for him even less now he's with a big rival.

Flight #24
12-05-2005, 09:26 AM

Here's my favorite thing about that rotation: Their #1 is no better than our #3, and possibly wouldn't beat out our top 4. Of course, there's no shortage of teams in baseball that that can be said about!

But if they resign Elarton (and he duplicates last year), then they'll be a good shot for the playoffs because they'll have a solid O and be one of few teams again that can throw out 5 very solid pitchers.

pythons007
12-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I think Byrd sucks. His fast ball can't break a pane of glass. He is going to get rocked. Even though we didn't get to him in game one of the alcs, he will get rocked next year. MEAT!!

MUsoxfan
12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
I think Byrd sucks. His fast ball can't break a pane of glass. He is going to get rocked. Even though we didn't get to him in game one of the alcs, he will get rocked next year. MEAT!!

I don't think he sucks. He's injury plagued, but he gets the job done a good chunk of the time. (ex. ALCS Game 1)

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I thought I have read some stories recently saying that the Indians probably won't be able to meet Elarton's price. I don't remember if the story said his agent was Scott Boras or not but I got a strong impression that the season he had will drive him out of their range.

We'll see.

Lip

santo=dorf
12-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought I have read some stories recently saying that the Indians probably won't be able to meet Elarton's price. I don't remember if the story said his agent was Scott Boras or not but I got a strong impression that the season he had will drive him out of their range.

We'll see.

Lip

From what I read Elarton wants a two year deal but the Indians are only offering one.

WestSox
12-05-2005, 01:02 PM

If they had any intention of signing Milwood, they probably would've done it before signing a good-but-not-great 35-year-old pitcher with a history of injury problems. My feeling now is that Millwood will sign somewhere else. If that's the case, the Injuns have taken a step down.

caulfield12
12-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Essentially, they replaced Elarton with Byrd at a much higher salary.

They still need to replace Millwood, Howry and Wickman.

Thatīs going to drive up their payroll to the $60 million range, as high as they would like to go.

maurice
12-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Byrd, if heathly, is a pretty decent #3-4 SP

True, but that's a really big "if."

Optipessimism
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Call me crazy but I don't think the Twins are really that far behind. If they were to sign Mueller/Randa for 3B, add a big bat like Frank or Piazza to DH, and add a reasonably cheap but somewhat productive corner OF like Jaque Jones, Reggie Sanders, or even maybe Rondell White, I think they become a better TEAM than Cleveland.

The Tribe (at least offensively) are going to put up some stats no doubt, but I think they don't have a chance to compete until everyone stops calling Eric Wedge the greatest thing since Sliced Bread, and its sequel Sliced Bread II, and find someone else. The Tribe has the luxury of speed in the 1-2-3 spot of their order, and if the Sizemore+Crisp+Peralta combination ever learned how to sacrifice a runner over, steal more effectively, and hit and run more effectively, they'd be very dangerous. And if the bottom of their order guys like Brussard and Blake ever learned to do the same and also hit some sac flies, that team as it is right now would be the hardest offense to beat in baseball IMO. Until they do though, which will be until they decide to change their gameplan, I take the Twins as our nemesis.

People I think will look at the 2005 season and say 'man, those Indians have offense and almost took hold of the AL Central' and pick them to do it again. They'll also look at all the rookies on the Twins and their inability to hit or play Gardenhire's game and think they'll be done. But, with a few smart acquistions to bolster the offense just a bit, especially a DH with a big bat who could automatically improve Morneau and Maurer, along with the promotions of Baker and Liriano and departures of Mays and Lohse, this team competes with the Sox in 1-2 run games and BEATS the Tribe 5:1 in those same types of games.

caulfield12
12-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Call me crazy but I don't think the Twins are really that far behind. If they were to sign Mueller/Randa for 3B, add a big bat like Frank or Piazza to DH, and add a reasonably cheap but somewhat productive corner OF like Jaque Jones, Reggie Sanders, or even maybe Rondell White, I think they become a better TEAM than Cleveland.

The Tribe (at least offensively) are going to put up some stats no doubt, but I think they don't have a chance to compete until everyone stops calling Eric Wedge the greatest thing since Sliced Bread, and its sequel Sliced Bread II, and find someone else. The Tribe has the luxury of speed in the 1-2-3 spot of their order, and if the Sizemore+Crisp+Peralta combination ever learned how to sacrifice a runner over, steal more effectively, and hit and run more effectively, they'd be very dangerous. And if the bottom of their order guys like Brussard and Blake ever learned to do the same and also hit some sac flies, that team as it is right now would be the hardest offense to beat in baseball IMO. Until they do though, which will be until they decide to change their gameplan, I take the Twins as our nemesis.

People I think will look at the 2005 season and say 'man, those Indians have offense and almost took hold of the AL Central' and pick them to do it again. They'll also look at all the rookies on the Twins and their inability to hit or play Gardenhire's game and think they'll be done. But, with a few smart acquistions to bolster the offense just a bit, especially a DH with a big bat who could automatically improve Morneau and Maurer, along with the promotions of Baker and Liriano and departures of Mays and Lohse, this team competes with the Sox in 1-2 run games and BEATS the Tribe 5:1 in those same types of games.

Randa and Muellers best days are behind them. The Twins really need Cuddyer and Kubel to become offensive forces, for Morneau to continue improving and for Mauer to both stay healthy and hit for more power.

The Twins have sacrificed defense for offense, and it has backfired. Their entire infield is sub-par compared to the 2002-2004 versions, with the exception of J. Castro.

They really have to decide whether to make a blockbuster deal with T. Hunter going to the Yankees or end up with him diminishing in value each year he gets older. It would be a huge risk, but not as risky as dealing Santana to fill holes in the line-up.

They have three strong starters, but Baker and Soriano are rookies and cannot be expected to be studs in their first full seasons.

Stewart and Ford are also diminishing...I think the league figured out Ford and Stewart is just aging.

hose
12-06-2005, 06:24 AM
I think it's a good pick up for the Tribe.

caulfield12
12-06-2005, 07:15 AM
I think it's a good pick up for the Tribe.

Itīs only a good move if they can also sign Millwood or another pitcher, otherwise they have a more expensive, older version of Elarton in Byrd and theyīre forced to negotiate with Boras for a 4-5 year deal, with is anathema to a budget-conscious franchise like Cleveland. Byrd is a great teammate and good guy to have on a team, hence the Royals outbidding to bring him back but getting turned down, but he has a history of injury problems and always walks a fine line between good and mediocre.

They also have to replace Howry and Wickman, which will be expensive in this market.

Otherwise, they have to go with Betancourt and Riske and the closer-by-committed approach.