PDA

View Full Version : Garcia To Pitch for Venezuela

kevin57
12-04-2005, 11:08 AM
It now appears to be official. Garcia will miss part of Spring Training as he pitches for his native land, Venezuela. How concerned are you?

Very concerned. This will come back to bite us on the backside.
Moderately concerned. I'm irritated but not incensed.
Somewhat concerned. But I won't lose any sleep over it.
Not at all concerned. This will have no effect on FG's regular season pitching.

anewman35
12-04-2005, 11:11 AM
It now appears to be official. Garcia will miss part of Spring Training as he pitches for his native land, Venezuela. How concerned are you?

Lots of players on lots of teams will miss part of Spring Training for this reason, so it's not like whatever happens will only happen to us...

SOXintheBURGH
12-04-2005, 11:14 AM
:nandrolone

"I missed plenty of spring training, and I turned out fine!"

The Deacon
12-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Very concerned. This will come back to bite us on the backside.
Moderately concerned. I'm irritated but not incensed.
Somewhat concerned. But I won't lose any sleep over it.
Not at all concerned. This will have no effect on FG's regular season pitching.

He threw a ton of innings this year. I've heard interviews with Cooper, Ozzie and KW regarding this and they all seem moderately concerned. It could definitely affect his ability to pitch down the stretch when we need him most.
I do have confidence in the SOX management to get him in shape to pitch and probably limit his pitches for Venezuela.

Crede_Fan
12-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Somewhat concerned. If we didn't have BMac and El Duque, I would be more concerned about it. Maybe Ozzie just gives Freddy an extra day off here and there. Or would that screw up the entire rotation?

buehrle4cy05
12-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Not really concerned. He wants to play for his country, let him do it. I would be more concerned if we didn't have pitching depth with El Duque/McCarthy.

If I was the Mets, I'm really concerned about Pedro pitching for the D.R.

delben91
12-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Somewhat concerned, but just one more reason to hold on to El Duque. That man becomes the ultimate insurance policy. If Freddy (or any other starter for that matter) ever needs rest, Duque can fill their spot quite well for a few weeks. Or even maybe start the season with a 6 man rotation to mitigate the number of innings for each pitcher?

Just a couple thoughts, but it becomes more and more clear each day why we need El Duque on the roster next season.

mdep524
12-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Depends on what the "concern" is about- if it's about the Sox as a team I'd say somewhat to moderate concern. If it's about Freddy specifically, I'm somewhere in between moderately and very concerned. Of all the Sox starters, Garcia was the one that needed the most rest this offseason, and now he'll be getting the least. :(: I'm worried he'll break down in August through October in 2006.

Since the Sox already have 6 starters, they are in a good position to offset an injury to of of them. But I was really hoping this Stupid World Baseball thing would fall apart so we wouldn't have to worry about it.

HotelWhiteSox
12-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Definately concerned, the Sox strongpoint is pitching, and in Spring Training, pitchers usually just work on a new pitch or get throwing in, where they'll be more likely to treat this as a normal game or go all out. I'm concerned about any of our pitchers that participate in this, we saw that some of the pitchers seemed to hit some sort of wall late in the year, but the great rest of the season and playoff success gave them some time off.

delben91
12-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Definately concerned, the Sox strongpoint is pitching, and in Spring Training, pitchers usually just work on a new pitch or get throwing in, where they'll be more likely to treat this as a normal game or go all out. I'm concerned about any of our pitchers that participate in this, we saw that some of the pitchers seemed to hit some sort of wall late in the year, but the great rest of the season and playoff success gave them some time off.

As I think about it...if Freddy doesn't really pitch much in spring training...is the amount he's pitching in this tournament that much more?

I mean, if it just ends up being like his spring training, the actual number of pitches might not be that much different. Just something to think about.

RallyBowl
12-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Not concerned at all. Freddy is a horse. He'll be fine, IMO. That is until around mid- August, but by then Ozzie will be able to rest him on account of us having already clinched the division. :cool:

CallMeNuts
12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
I imagine that Buehrle and Garland will be on the USA squad. There will be times when a 6-man rotation will come in handy in 2006, so that everybody goes into October strong and healthy. When you first look at it, the WBC looks like it will be tough on the Sox rotation. But with our superior depth this will be an advantage to us. Nobody else has as strong of a 5.5 man rotation as we do.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I do not like the idea of this or of this bogus tournament in the first place. The first time an All Star player gets hurt the owners will unite and force Selig to abondon this idea.

By the way I don't think either Buehrle or Garland will even be asked to pitch for the U.S.

Lip

I want Mags back
12-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Is his father in-law managing?

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Is his father in-law managing?

Ozzie is not his father-in-law, FYI.

Exit_Only
12-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Is there anything in the standard MLB contract that allows a team to prevent its players to play for any other organization without permission from the team?

I know organizations can protect themselves from dangerous, off-field activities like hangliding, motorcycle riding (Jeff Kent), and conduct detrimental to the team (Denny Neagle, ***?), but is there literature in contracts that says a player cannot play for anyone else during the life of the contract?

Because if I were the Sox, I'd tell Freddy G that he won't be participating and to stay off of Ugueth Urbina's farm.

bobowhite
12-05-2005, 08:21 AM
I do not like the idea of this or of this bogus tournament in the first place. The first time an All Star player gets hurt the owners will unite and force Selig to abondon this idea.

By the way I don't think either Buehrle or Garland will even be asked to pitch for the U.S.

Lip

Lip,
you've obviously never lived in a nation that participates in any major way in the World Cup of any sport. I have and found it utterly amazing. The bitterest rivals from regional tournaments put aside their provincial allegiances and played whole-heartedly for their nation. Baseball features comparitvely few injuries compared to almost all the world cup sports and this tournament will definately not be bogus. I'm sorry to hear you think that way.

LauraJ14
12-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Is there anything in the standard MLB contract that allows a team to prevent its players to play for any other organization without permission from the team?

I know organizations can protect themselves from dangerous, off-field activities like hangliding, motorcycle riding (Jeff Kent), and conduct detrimental to the team (Denny Neagle, ***?), but is there literature in contracts that says a player cannot play for anyone else during the life of the contract?

Because if I were the Sox, I'd tell Freddy G that he won't be participating and to stay off of Ugueth Urbina's farm.

Lots of players play winter ball and that's not prohibited in the MLB contract.
You just have to look at this as their spring training, its not like Freddy's going to pitch everyday. In fact how many games is it going to be, 2 or 3 games for a starter??

Exit_Only
12-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Lots of players play winter ball and that's not prohibited in the MLB contract.
You just have to look at this as their spring training, its not like Freddy's going to pitch everyday. In fact how many games is it going to be, 2 or 3 games for a starter??

Players are asked to winter ball by their MLB team, and if they're one of those guys who loves to play winter ball--like Jose Valentin--I'm sure they get permission from their team to play.

It's one thing for position players to play outside of their MLB duties, but a completely different, and more risky situation for pitchers.

Can anyone answer if the White Sox have permission by contract to prevent Freddy G from playing for any other team?

chaerulez
12-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Freddy has a right to represent his country in this, lets not forget that MLB was the one that created this event. This is a concern, but you can't blame the man for wanting to play for his country. Would people be having the same reaction if it were a US player that wanted to play?

On a side note, anyone notice that Bonds is going to play for the US... there was some poll on ESPN that asked if people wanted Bonds on the team and 70+ percent said yes! I guess people don't care about ethics as much as they used to.

Exit_Only
12-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Freddy has a right to represent his country in this, lets not forget that MLB was the one that created this event. This is a concern, but you can't blame the man for wanting to play for his country. Would people be having the same reaction if it were a US player that wanted to play?

On a side note, anyone notice that Bonds is going to play for the US... there was some poll on ESPN that asked if people wanted Bonds on the team and 70+ percent said yes! I guess people don't care about ethics as much as they used to.

Can anyone answer if the White Sox have permission by contract to prevent Freddy G from playing for any other team?

chisox
12-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Lip,
you've obviously never lived in a nation that participates in any major way in the World Cup of any sport. I have and found it utterly amazing. The bitterest rivals from regional tournaments put aside their provincial allegiances and played whole-heartedly for their nation. Baseball features comparitvely few injuries compared to almost all the world cup sports and this tournament will definately not be bogus. I'm sorry to hear you think that way.

cosigned.

though baseball will never be an international sport like basketball, soccer, or cricket, i think the movement toward creating a more international game is a good one.

bobowhite
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM

I'm not certain of the exact clauses in the current CBA but I know from seeing past versions of it.

a) the White Sox have full professional rights to any player under contract with them, Freddy definately qualifies. Freddy cannot play with any other professional organization without explicit permission

b) typically, anything even vaguely athletic that makes money for Freddy has to be reported and approved. I'm sure that AJ has reported his 'managing' of professional wrestlers and that it has been approved.

c) any activity where normal particpants can get killed/ injured at anything but a truly freaky rate is typically not approved. My organization had a warning list for me which they went over very carefully between seasons. They also had my manager 'monitor' me over the off-season just to remind me of my limits and to keep working out. (That part wasn't anywhere near as bad as it sounds. We lived in the same part of town and even drank at the same 'western' bar.)

d) My prohibitted list explicitly affected such activities as: skydiving (completely banned), hangliding (banned) BASE jumping (obviously they thought I was not really sane), ultralight flying, SCUBA-diving but not snorkeling, motocross, almost any form of motorcycle riding (which is perceived as much more dangerous in Japan), rugby (although they knew I was a coach of the company rugby team, I was totally banned from any contact drills and playing), I had to have a team approved chaperone when I went skiing (luckily, manager wanted to come with), mountaineering and rock climbing were out but the indoor tethered variant was okay. Hunting/ shooting/ archery were all not permitted. Martial arts were all out. A variety of other things were also barred.

e) Oddly, the one season I did report late for ST due to injury I'd been hit by a golf ball as I walked across a green. A company exectutive I was playing with had hit it without looking to see that I was on the green. Golf was permitted.

f) in my experience, the White Sox do have the legal option to force Garcia not to play in the WBC, but I seriously doubt they will try. Other guys I think are likely to be involved in this are: Iguchi (Japan) Uribe (D.R.) Ozuna/ Timo?? I doubt any of the American players on the Sox will be asked.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Bobo:

Well we'll have to wait and see the 'validity' of this tournament especially if Cuba does not get involved in it won't we? I mean how can you call yourself the globe's best if ALL of the top teams don't participate?

My own opinion remains unchanged, if the owners see their top drawing cards go down with injuries and cost them millions in team revenues they'll scream bloody murder to get this 'event' stopped dead in its tracks.

Another comment/question for you. If this is so damn important why are the leagues playing this in March when the players need down time and are not ready to play full speed? It goes against all of the natural rhythm's of the sport.

I think the answer is that because if they tried to stop the season for two weeks in say July, this 'tournament' wouldn't draw many fans in the U.S. because very few (like with the soccer World Cup) care.

This is a 'made for TV' event with no validity at all in my opinion... a lot like these award shows that are trotted out for ratings in November and February. 'Everyone' has a claim to the best, so that like with boxing, it has lost all meaning.

Lip

mrs. hendu
12-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Ozzie is not his father-in-law, FYI.

Right. Freddy is married to Ozzie's niece I think.

tacosalbarojas
12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Bobo:

Another comment/question for you. If this is so damn important why are the leagues playing this in March when the players need down time and are not ready to play full speed? It goes against all of the natural rhythm's of the sport.

I think the answer is that because if they tried to stop the season for two weeks in say July, this 'tournament' wouldn't draw many fans in the U.S. because very few (like with the soccer World Cup) care.

LipBingo! This ain't soccer.

bobowhite
12-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Lip, several questions let me try one at a time. BOW

Well we'll have to wait and see the 'validity' of this tournament especially if Cuba does not get involved in it won't we? I mean how can you call yourself the globe's best if ALL of the top teams don't participate?

Agreed, I definately want to see Cuba participate. And I think this has a lot more validity than an Olypmic tournament where it's our amateurs against their pros. Just as most World Cups take the best team regardless of pro/amateur status, this one should as well. If Cuba doesn't come this is at least partially incomplete, but better than nothing.

Well, it's billed as the World Cup for a good reason. March is the only time when both northern and southern hemisphere players are on anything approaching an even footing. Caribbean and southern hemisphere teams typically play October to February. The choices are play this in October (around the American playoffs) or play this in March, right after the southern seasons conclude. I'll take March.

I disagree. If you stopped the MLB season for two weeks in July I think everyone would watch. I for one find the All-Star break moderately frustrating. Two weeks with no baseball other than the World Cup would definately get me watching games I'd otherwise never give a second thought to, like Australia vs Taiwan. On the other hand, the MLB season is too long and unless you went to doubleheaders, there'd be no way to break it for two weeks in the middle of the season. The owners wouldn't want to lose the revenue. Perhaps these opinions are just mine.

gowhitesox
12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
About all I can say is, watch that arm of yours Freddy, the Sox will need it this season. After all he helped pitch the Sox to the World Championship.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Bobo:

With due respect I think most Americans don't care about the Olympic baseball tournament anyway which is partially why the Olympics dumped the sport in the first place.

Lip

Taliesinrk
12-05-2005, 01:41 PM
This is a somewhat dissapointing sentiment I'm getting on the board. I agree with most of what Bobo is saying here. While we, as Sox fans, do not want the chances of winning next season put in jeopardy, I know that if I were an MLB player, that I would be more than honored to represent my country.

In most everyday life, representing the USA would give me a tremendous amount of pride and it appears not only on this board, but unfortunately in real life, that this sentiment has been lost in definately my generation (born in '84) but the post-WWII era.

In response to whomever posted about baseball never being an international sport: it sure as hell never will be until events like this start to thrive. As a die-hard baseball fan, I think that's a terrible outlook on the sport and the future. Along the lines of many cliche sayings, you'll (baseball'll) never succeed with that sort of attitude.

Besides the sentimental stuff, it is also worth noting that strict pitch counts will be enforced as well as inning limits on players. The fact that Freddy would most likely be pitching in Spring Training anyway should offset most of this. The only concern I have is is not the pitches nor the innings, rather the type of each of the aforementioned. It's not the amount of wear; it's the type. The major difference we should be worried about is that in ST, Freddy would be going at a fairly competitive rate, while in the WBC, Freddy should be going 110% while representing his homeland and country.

P.S. perhaps a thread should be started on how people feel about the event as a whole??

bobowhite
12-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Bobo:

With due respect I think most Americans don't care about the Olympic baseball tournament anyway which is partially why the Olympics dumped the sport in the first place.

Lip

Lip,
sorry, I wasn't being clear here. I agree that most Americans didn't bother with the Olympic baseball tournament. What I meant to say was that if you stopped all professional baseball mid-summer for a tournament, World Cup style, a lot of people would watch it. Out of boredom if nothing else.

Apologies for not being clear.

No way the owners allow that to happen though.

Taliesinrk
12-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Lip,
sorry, I wasn't being clear here. I agree that most Americans didn't bother with the Olympic baseball tournament. What I meant to say was that if you stopped all professional baseball mid-summer for a tournament, World Cup style, a lot of people would watch it. Out of boredom if nothing else.

I would really like it if they did, however. While I'm as big of a Sox fan as anyone, I'd much rather carry/fly an American flag anyday of the week rather than a White Sox flag. While I'm a Chicago White Sox Fan, I'm an American, since the day I was born, and until the day I die.

longshot7
12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Lip,

I agree that a mid-summer tournament would be best, although I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

Exit_Only
12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I would really like it if they did, however. While I'm as big of a Sox fan as anyone, I'd much rather carry/fly an American flag anyday of the week rather than a White Sox flag. While I'm a Chicago White Sox Fan, I'm an American, since the day I was born, and until the day I die.

Freddy isn't playing for the US. So either he helps beat our country or he gets injured/fatigued and hurts our Sox from repeating. That's a lose/lose situation that I want no part of.

Taliesinrk
12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Freddy isn't playing for the US. So either he helps beat our country or he gets injured/fatigued and hurts our Sox from repeating. That's a lose/lose situation that I want no part of.

Incorrect. You are right about the fact that he's not playing for the U.S./ either helps beat our country or gets injured (unlikely<-- knock on wood)/fatigued. You are wrong that it's a lose/lose situation.

First off, I like to see someone who has honor playing on the Sox (not that this implies others don't). By representing his country, Freddy shows he has a characteristic of a quality person who takes pride in things that are either taken for granted or no longer appreciated in the materialistic day. While refraining from getting political or commenting on Venezeula and its present government, it doesn't matter whether we like the country or not. While i don't evaluate every Sox player by his "off-the-field" demeanor, I appreciate it when I see a Sox player not only contribute on the field, but uphold similar values as myself. It allows me to connect and further respect that player, as I'm sure it does to other Sox fans as well. I don't want the Sox full of a bunch of *******s. If this were the case, then I don't think I'd take as much pride in, or be as big of a fan of the Sox.

Secondly, and more clearly, the more "stars" that appear in this tournament give it more credibility. Do you think that if the U.S. beats up a bunch of "A caliber players" from different countries that this tournament will mean a damn thing? That's ridiculous. It helps the event gain credibility, a following, and meaning not only at home, but to the international community as a whole. The more stars, international or domestic, that play, the better. Baseball is a a wonderful game/ the best, hands down IMHO. As it grows around the globe, it only gets better. Growth means not only a better time/ more opportunities for the fans, but means a better quality product on the field. I don't know about you, but I'm always up for watching better baseball.

While the results of this tournament may not be initially rewarding/ observable, the long term potential effects are well worth the effort.

I want Mags back
12-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Right. Freddy is married to Ozzie's niece I think.

Whatever, i knew that were related some how.

bobowhite
12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Incorrect. You are right about the fact that he's not playing for the U.S./ either helps beat our country or gets injured (unlikely<-- knock on wood)/fatigued. You are wrong that it's a lose/lose situation.

First off, I like to see someone who has honor playing on the Sox (not that this implies others don't). By representing his country, Freddy shows he has a characteristic of a quality person who takes pride in things that are either taken for granted or no longer appreciated in the materialistic day. While refraining from getting political or commenting on Venezeula and its present government, it doesn't matter whether we like the country or not. While i don't evaluate every Sox player by his "off-the-field" demeanor, I appreciate it when I see a Sox player not only contribute on the field, but uphold similar values as myself. It allows me to connect and further respect that player, as I'm sure it does to other Sox fans as well. I don't want the Sox full of a bunch of *******s. If this were the case, then I don't think I'd take as much pride in, or be as big of a fan of the Sox.

Secondly, and more clearly, the more "stars" that appear in this tournament give it more credibility. Do you think that if the U.S. beats up a bunch of "A caliber players" from different countries that this tournament will mean a damn thing? That's ridiculous. It helps the event gain credibility, a following, and meaning not only at home, but to the international community as a whole. The more stars, international or domestic, that play, the better. Baseball is a a wonderful game/ the best, hands down IMHO. As it grows around the globe, it only gets better. Growth means not only a better time/ more opportunities for the fans, but means a better quality product on the field. I don't know about you, but I'm always up for watching better baseball.

While the results of this tournament may not be initially rewarding/ observable, the long term potential effects are well worth the effort.

Second.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Well I hope all of you who are in favor of this made for TV farce will feel the same way if it is one of the Sox who blow out an elbow or break an ankle sliding into second base or run out of gas in September because they didn't get the time off they so badly needed.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2005, 08:39 AM
The fact that both Buehrle and Garcia will pitch in this over-hyped deal makes it even more significant that the Sox have six starting pitchers under contract for 2006.

The Sox ought to do something to limit the number of innings their starters pitch, especially early in the season. This will be easier to do now that they have a much stronger offense with both speed and power.

Normally a team would be opposed to letting their starters skip starts early in the season, but is this case I think it is the wiser course of action.

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Normally a team would be opposed to letting their starters skip starts early in the season, but is this case I think it is the wiser course of action.

I don't think skipping starts early in the season is a good strategy here. Pitchers, especially starting pitchers, need to get into a rhythm and their arms are under a certain amount of stress until they do get firmly into that rhythm. If an SP is to skip starts to ease stress on his arm it would be better in the middle of the season.

kevin57
12-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Both papers report today that KW is also concerned that both FG and MB are pitching.

Ozzie is concerned.

Coop is concerned.

Kenny is concerned.

I'm concerned. :unsure:

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Both papers report today that KW is also concerned that both FG and MB are pitching.

Ozzie is concerned.

Coop is concerned.

Kenny is concerned.

I'm concerned. :unsure:

I think "concern" as in 'wants precautions taken' and 'will monitor the situation carefully' is very different than "concern" as in "Captain Smith, the ship seems to be taking on a lot of water." Ozzie, Coop and KW all seem to be expressing the former, not the latter.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Bobo:

It's more then that...a lot more. From the Daily Southtown:

"Asked if he had concerns about his two pitchers, who had heavy workloads in 2005, Williams said: "Yes. And I better not take it any further than that."

Asked if it was a problem if Iguchi misses a significant amount of spring training, Williams said: "Yes. And I better not take it any further than that."

And when asked if it was unfair that some major league teams will not lose any starting pitchers to the tournament, Williams said: "Yes. And I shall not take it any further than that."

Lip

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Bobo:

It's more then that...a lot more. From the Daily Southtown:

"Asked if he had concerns about his two pitchers, who had heavy workloads in 2005, Williams said: "Yes. And I better not take it any further than that."

Asked if it was a problem if Iguchi misses a significant amount of spring training, Williams said: "Yes. And I better not take it any further than that."

And when asked if it was unfair that some major league teams will not lose any starting pitchers to the tournament, Williams said: "Yes. And I shall not take it any further than that."

Lip

Lip,

As for Iguchi, it's not like he'll be playing hockey. KW knows exactly where he'll be and knows he'll be working on his baseball. It would be preferable that he'd be with the Sox, integrating with his teammates instead of with Japanese teammates. His chances of injury should be virtually even. Do you see this differently?

As for the unfairness, considering he was answering the questions with the exact same words as he'd just used for the previous two questions, I take this as his "No comment."

As for the pitchers, I'm sure he has some concerns. Anytime your players are anywhere out of your immediate control, the team has concerns. The Dragons kept a short leash on me when I returned to Chicago to visit my parents for Christmas/ New Years. I was gone less than two weeks and chatted with someone from the trainer's staff everyday (apart from the one day where my dad answered the phone and, not speaking Japanese, he launched into a tirade about Pearl Harbor and Guadacanal and a few other things. The head trainer called the next day at exactly the pre-arranged time.) They were "concerned." I take KW's comments as nothing further.

Taliesinrk
12-06-2005, 01:17 PM
The Dragons kept a short leash on me when I returned to Chicago to visit my parents for Christmas/ New Years.

You aren't by any chance speaking of the Dayton Dragons are you???

bobowhite
12-06-2005, 01:48 PM
You aren't by any chance speaking of the Dayton Dragons are you???

No. The Chunichi (Nagoya) Dragons, the parent team of the minor league franchises I labored for.