PDA

View Full Version : 3 way Idea

getonbckthr
12-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Reds get-Miguel Batista, El Duque, Josh Towers
BJays get- Adam Dunn, Damaso Marte, Brian Anderson
Sox get-Vernon Wells, jung Bong

It helps the Reds as it gives them 2 solid starting pitchers and a closer. As far as Toronto goes they would need to sign Burnett and even though they lose Wells in center they gain Anderson and a power bat in Dunn, since they signed Ryan Batista was available. The White Sox get a gold glove CF with a strong bat and some speed. Can fill the 2 hole enabling Iguchi to slide to the 6 hole. Jung Bong is a young left handed relief pitcher from Korea, only about 25 years old. Also Wells salary is less than that of El Duque alone thus we can thrown in Marte's salary to the Reds towards El Duque contract. Wells is signed through 2007 which at that point you figure Owens should be ready to take over CF.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Well it would finally give me an excuse to buy a sox jersey with the word "Bong" on it.

Chisox003
12-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Again, why would a team like the Reds EVER do this?

It does absolutely nothing for them, and they're giving up the only guy that actually has star/market value in their entire organization.

Not happening.

getonbckthr
12-04-2005, 02:17 AM

It does absolutely nothing for them, and they're giving up the only guy that actually has star/market value in their entire organization.

Not happening.

Their obvious weakness is pitching their strength is OF. Yes they are giving up Dunn, but will they be able to resign him? This gives them 2 SP's and a Closer which they don't have. It instantly betters their team a ton. Pena will be a masher as soon as he gets an everyday oppertunity. They must love Kearns if they ask a king's ransom for him all the time. They still have Griffey with a contract which will be hard to move, and then they have Freel as a very solid 4th OF.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 02:23 AM

Not happening.

Honestly though, when was the last time the Reds made a transaction that actually DID do something for them?

Though the Reds could easily get more attractive offers if dunn actually were on the market.

That and even though Bong was a pretty decent prospect in the Braves organization, he missed all of last year with shoulder problems and before that the last time he posted an ERA below 4.50 was at AA in 2002. Even with the jersey hilarity, I would pass on acquiring him as part of the deal. His prospect tag is fading

I'm also not sure this really fulfills a real need for the Blue Jays. Their major need is a front of the rotation starter. Those players are real nice but not exactly what they are looking for. The Blue Jays offense isn't really that bad.

getonbckthr
12-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Honestly though, when was the last time the Reds made a transaction that actually DID do something for them?

Though the Reds could easily get more attractive offers if dunn actually were on the market.

That and even though Bong was a pretty decent prospect in the Braves organization, he missed all of last year with shoulder problems and before that the last time he posted an ERA below 4.50 was at AA in 2002. Even with the jersey hilarity, I would pass on acquiring him as part of the deal. His prospect tag is fading

I'm also not sure this really fulfills a real need for the Blue Jays. Their major need is a front of the rotation starter. Those players are real nice but not exactly what they are looking for. The Blue Jays offense isn't really that bad.
I was throwing Bong out there really. Just trying to find creative ways to go into the season with a proven CF.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 02:32 AM
I was throwing Bong out there really. Just trying to find creative ways to go into the season with a proven CF.

Decent attempt, not sure it works though. And personally I'm fine with trying the rookie, especially lower in the order.

EDIT: and as I think about it I don't think the sox are really getting enough value back in return. It really ends up being three players for Vernon Wells, sure we don't really need two of them but it is a bit much.

Chisox003
12-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Their obvious weakness is pitching their strength is OF. Yes they are giving up Dunn, but will they be able to resign him? This gives them 2 SP's and a Closer which they don't have. It instantly betters their team a ton. Pena will be a masher as soon as he gets an everyday oppertunity. They must love Kearns if they ask a king's ransom for him all the time. They still have Griffey with a contract which will be hard to move, and then they have Freel as a very solid 4th OF.
True, but they aren't going to fill those weaknesses with a 35 year old Batista (who was getting shelled by the end of last season); a 38+ year old Duque (who could barely get through the postseason healthy, let alone an entire season starting); and Towers, who of these 3 would be most attractive to the Reds, and that's not saying much.

I think we should just stick with BA in CF personally. As of right now, I really like where our Sox are sitting for '06.

Coolpapa
12-04-2005, 03:47 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I thought I was reading my high school yearbook.

antitwins13
12-04-2005, 08:35 PM
When I saw this thread title I thought it might get shipped to the roadhouse.

Jays make out like bandits in this deal. Never will happen.