PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers sign Furcal 3/40

Fantosme
12-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Link (http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-spw-dodgers4dec04,0,4690212.story?coll=la-story-footer&track=morenews)

Tekijawa
12-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I wondered what that Crying sound was that I heard earlier up here on the north side?

knocko94
12-03-2005, 11:16 PM
HAHA

man that sucks for the cubs. I fully expect a trade for Pierre now, they desperately need a leadoff hitter.

TornLabrum
12-03-2005, 11:21 PM
HAHA

man that sucks for the cubs. I fully expect a trade for Pierre now, they desperately need a leadoff hitter.

Why would they need a leadoff hitter when they already have Corey Patterson?

TheOldRoman
12-03-2005, 11:23 PM
NO WAY!
This is a cruel joke. Those dumb Dodger fans will be pissed when they find out he is really signing with the Cubs. Furcal is SO gonna sign with the Cubs, the Tribune has been telling me so since August.

Not a bad move of aqcuiring Furcal, but the salary is absolutely ridiculous. I guess the Dodgers plan on turning into the Mets.

peeonwrigley
12-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Damn, that is a TON of money. More per year than Paulie.

I'm surprised he didn't go for more years; must be confident in his ability to land another big contract in a few years.

Tekijawa
12-03-2005, 11:25 PM
I thought that they still had Valentin? Where's he gonna play?

:redneck

LuvSox
12-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Didn't the Cubbies tell Nomar to look elsewhere? Mistake?

Brian26
12-03-2005, 11:29 PM
NO WAY!
This is a cruel joke. Those dumb Dodger fans will be pissed when they find out he is really signing with the Cubs. Furcal is SO gonna sign with the Cubs, the Tribune has been telling me so since August.

Wow. I can't wait to read what the Trib spin doctors have to say about this one. No Furcal. Nomar is gone. Maybe the north side isn't the baseball Eden that everyone claims it is. Well, there's always the .340 average of Neifi Perez to fall back on.

Chisox003
12-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Damn, that is a TON of money. More per year than Paulie.

I'm surprised he didn't go for more years; must be confident in his ability to land another big contract in a few years.
That's exactly what it is. He's only 28, so when this deal is up he'll still be relatively young, especially if he has a couple solid years in LA.

This is pretty funny, though. I'm interested to see how the Trib squirms with this one. Hopefully this leads to Flubs going out and getting Pierre in a desperate attempt at a leadoff hitter, and overpaying big time in the process.

As if 5 years/$50 mil. for Furcal wasn't overpaying....And 3/40?? Cha-ching! :o:

TornLabrum
12-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Wow. I can't wait to read what the Trib spin doctors have to say about this one.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=956915#post956915

Crede_Fan
12-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Has it been reported anywhere else? Just wondering because I can't find it on any of the major sports sites.

Viva Medias B's
12-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Has it been reported anywhere else? Just wondering because I can't find it on any of the major sports sites.

They're too busy wondering what is going to happen to the BCS with LSU and VT going down.

DrCrawdad
12-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Three years ago the Cubune spindoctors, led by Jim Hendry, were talking about how all the big-name players would be coming to the Cubs on account of Dusty Baker.

Three years later, what big-name free agents have signed with the Cubs?

LuvSox
12-04-2005, 12:15 AM
They're too busy wondering what is going to happen to the BCS with LSU and VT going down.

It's also late on a Saturday night. Maybe in the am.

KRS1
12-04-2005, 12:22 AM
NO WAY!

Not a bad move of aqcuiring Furcal, but the salary is absolutely ridiculous. I guess the Dodgers plan on turning into the Mets.

The new owner raised ticket prices and concessions as well as the FSN contract this year, add that w/ the fact that they get over 3 millions people a year in there and I think you can see how they can afford to overpay. Him and Izturis should be quite a tandom up the gut, and if Drew can get back on track they might actually stand a chance in the division.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Now I figure the Cubs will really target Pierre, although they'll probably have to sweeten that deal they supposedly had on the table last week.

I think he'll end up wanting to play at Wrigley Field just so he can try to get back that "Wiggly Feel".

Cubs fans are also going to really start hoping to get Nomar back or else a nice full season of Neifi Perez.

And if they get none of those guys, I'm sure Scott Boras would looove to talk to them about Johnny Damon.

:borass:
Hey Hendry, Furcal was worth $13 million a year. Johnny is at least worth $20 mil a year, say over six years? C'mon Jim..., don't walk away. Yeah come on back... thats right... sign on the line...

Hitmen77
12-04-2005, 12:31 AM
So, last season ('04) and offseason the Trib talked to death the idea that Maggs was going to sign with the Cubs only to have him signed elsewhere. Now this season and offseason they've been talking up Furcal coming to the Cubs only to have him elsewhere.

Doesn't sound like they have a good track record on these things.

SABRSox
12-04-2005, 12:33 AM
The new owner raised ticket prices and concessions as well as the FSN contract this year, add that w/ the fact that they get over 3 millions people a year in there and I think you can see how they can afford to overpay. Him and Izturis should be quite a tandom up the gut, and if Drew can get back on track they might actually stand a chance in the division.

The Dodger organization is a total mess. They don't even have a manager. (And no prospects on the horizon either. Bud Black would rather be the Angels pitching coach then come to this train wreck of a team.) And this contract is ridiculous. They had to overpay to get Furcal, but 3 years, 40 million? He's not worth half of that.

The McCourt's are fighting a PR war in LA, and they must think that landing big name free agents is going to help them. Only one thing helps, Frank: winning. I don't think Furcal is anywhere near enough, especially when you consider the cost.

TheOldRoman
12-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Umm, hello?! Do Neifi Perez, Bob Howry, Ryan Dempster, Todd Hollandsworth and Jeromy Burnitz ring a bell?

Brian26
12-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Three years ago the Cubune spindoctors, led by Jim Hendry, were talking about how all the big-name players would be coming to the Cubs on account of Dusty Baker.

:lofton

"I only play hard for teams in contention."

:versatile

"I'm too cool to tag batters on drop-third strikes."

:walk

"This will always be a Cubs town."

:KW

"One man's garbage is another man's treasure."

Banix12
12-04-2005, 12:36 AM
The Dodger organization is a total mess. They don't even have a manager. (And no prospects on the horizon either. Bud Black would rather be the Angels pitching coach then come to this train wreck of a team.) And this contract is ridiculous. They had to overpay to get Furcal, but 3 years, 40 million? He's not worth half of that.

The McCourt's are fighting a PR war in LA, and they must think that landing big name free agents is going to help them. Only one thing helps, Frank: winning. I don't think Furcal is anywhere near enough, especially when you consider the cost.

I've heard a couple of reports that say Jim Fregosi is gonna be announced as the manager soon. Though I don't exactly trust the sources like mlb4u.com. Until it is announced I consider it a rumor.

Somehow though I am not confident Jim Fregosi is the guy to completely repair a total mess or win a PR war.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Umm, hello?! Do Neifi Perez, Bob Howry, Ryan Dempster, Todd Hollandsworth and Jeromy Burnitz ring a bell?

You forgot LaTroy Hawkins and Mike Remlinger.

Brian26
12-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Somehow though I am not confident Jim Fregosi is the guy to completely repair a total mess or win a PR war.

I don't have anything against him, but its a rather uninspired choice, isn't it?

Banix12
12-04-2005, 12:56 AM
I don't have anything against him, but its a rather uninspired choice, isn't it?

That's how I pretty much feel about it. He's not a bad manager but I have to think that even among guys who have managed before there are more interesting choices.

MrX
12-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Now I figure the Cubs will really target Pierre, although they'll probably have to sweeten that deal they supposedly had on the table last week.
Cub fans are already going with the "We wanted Pierre more anyway" spin.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Heh, the usual thing that happens every off season has taken place. The media hypes up big name FAs going to the Cubs(Thome, Ivan Rodriguez, Beltran, Magglio, and now Furcal) and the Cubs end up picking up a few bench players and middle relievers. So, what FA can I expect to see the media hype up next November?

Banix12
12-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Heh, the usual thing that happens every off season has taken place. The media hypes up big name FAs going to the Cubs(Thome, Ivan Rodriguez, Beltran, Magglio, and now Furcal) and the Cubs end up picking up a few bench players and middle relievers. So, what FA can I expect to see the media hype up next November?

since none of the hitters look too impressive and the cubs are likely losing Wood and Maddux, I'll put my money on Mark Mulder, Barry Zito or maybe Jason Schmidt. And unless they sign him to an extention prepare for Derrek Lee watch.

SABRSox
12-04-2005, 01:58 AM

All the superstar names are gone, with the exception of Bobby Valentine. The problem is that nobody wants the job, except for retreads like Fregosi.

But what do you expect from an organization that has absolutely no plan whatsoever?

whitesoxfan
12-04-2005, 02:09 AM
13 million for Furcal? I can't believe he's getting more money than Paulie. Furcal is now the 2nd highest payed SS in the entire majors :puking:

there's no doubt Hendry is regretting dumping Nomar the way he did.

MUsoxfan
12-04-2005, 02:23 AM
I suspect that the Cubs will almost certainly get Pierre now. The Marlins haven't exactly been holding other teams up for ransom during their little fire sale

jabrch
12-04-2005, 02:31 AM
This is hysterical!

BTW, if Furcal gets 13mm, what's Uribe worth? MUCH more than he is making - that's for sure. Does anyone want Aaron Miles back?

MUsoxfan
12-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Does anyone want Aaron Miles back?

YES! And in the meantime get Olivo back at any cost necessary!

Mr. White Sox
12-04-2005, 02:40 AM
According to ESPN, Furcal's contract makes him the second highest-paid SS in MLB (Jeter is #1). The Dodgers outbid both the Braves and Cubs.

DSpivack
12-04-2005, 03:13 AM
According to ESPN, Furcal's contract makes him the second highest-paid SS in MLB (Jeter is #1). The Dodgers outbid both the Braves and Cubs.

And Jeter is the second-best SS on his team!

SoxSpeed22
12-04-2005, 04:01 AM
According to ESPN, Furcal's contract makes him the second highest-paid SS in MLB (Jeter is #1). The Dodgers outbid both the Braves and Cubs.And still haven't learned their lesson have they? Hey Eric Gagne, tell the Dodgers to spend more! And seeing some of the moves this offseason, let me reiterate.
:worship::worship::KW
For not being so insanely foolish with money.

1951Campbell
12-04-2005, 09:27 AM
All the superstar names are gone, with the exception of Bobby Valentine.

What is Cito Gaston up to these days?

Soxzilla
12-04-2005, 10:22 AM
they might actually stand a chance in the division.

No offense, but a man with no legs could stand a chance in THAT division.

Professor
12-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I thought Furcal was going to stay in Atlanta since Chipper restructured his contract. Not to mention the team was loyal to him and very supportive through two DUIs...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves pick up Nomar now. If healthy and depending on the price tag, he'd be a nice pick up for them.

Optipessimism
12-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Poor Flubs...

I just hope this motivates them to 'make a splash' and sign AJ Burnett to a huge deal now. The potential of two pitchers making 10M or more per year stuck in their bullpen after blowing out their arms/shoulders is almost too good to be true.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 10:57 AM
They got a top-flight ballplayer for their money, at least.

Jjav829
12-04-2005, 11:53 AM
That's ridiculous. Furcal really isn't that much better than Cesar Izturis. I know Izturis is out for the start of the season, but they could have just found a cheap replacement for the start of the season.

I guess the Flubs are going to be desperate to get Pierre now.

samram
12-04-2005, 12:58 PM
That's ridiculous. Furcal really isn't that much better than Cesar Izturis. I know Izturis is out for the start of the season, but they could have just found a cheap replacement for the start of the season.

I guess the Flubs are going to be desperate to get Pierre now.

True, but the Marlins are hardly playing hardball in these deals. They could conceivably have the upper hand in these negotiations since the Cubs really need a leadoff man. On the other hand, the Marlins are intent on dealing Pierre, so it will come down to which side is more desperate.

beckett21
12-04-2005, 01:01 PM
True, but the Marlins are hardly playing hardball in these deals. They could conceivably have the upper hand in these negotiations since the Cubs really need a leadoff man. On the other hand, the Marlins are intent on dealing Pierre, so it will come down to which side is more desperate.

The Marlins have proved that their only interest is in slashing payroll.

They'll probably give Pierre away for a low level prospect or two that they can pay peanuts for a few years. It is obvious that they have NO interest in MLB-ready players, outside of maybe very crappy ones.

BTW, the Dodgers still don't have a clue.

samram
12-04-2005, 01:12 PM
BTW, the Dodgers still don't have a clue.

I know, and it sucks. They're handing out bad contracts like they're going out of style. A guy like Furcal can get into a lot of trouble in LA too.

daveeym
12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
The Marlins have proved that their only interest is in slashing payroll.

They'll probably give Pierre away for a low level prospect or two that they can pay peanuts for a few years. It is obvious that they have NO interest in MLB-ready players, outside of maybe very crappy ones.

BTW, the Dodgers still don't have a clue. The Marlins might be cheap and not traditional in any means but you can't really argue with their success. While it's not a sustained year in year out success, they set them selves up to make a run every 3-6 years. They develop a lot of cheap talent, supplement it for a year or two with all the money they've saved the last 4-5 years and make some playoff runs. Then reload with young talent and do it again. Gosh, I'm sure a lot of us would have taken that over the last 80 years or so. Every 5 years have a shot at it after watching the majority of a group develop in front of your eyes. Given their market and the constraints they have it's not too bad of a way to run a team.

socko82
12-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I suspect that the Cubs will almost certainly get Pierre now. The Marlins haven't exactly been holding other teams up for ransom during their little fire sale

Actually I think the price for Pierre just went up as the Marlins now have the Yankees and Cubs both desperate and bidding against each other. Probably going to get them a higher quality prospect.

Unregistered
12-04-2005, 01:58 PM
No shock there. This is the same club that signed DARREN ****ING DREIFORT for 5 years and $55 MILLION (Not to mention that awful 7 year, $105 Million deal for Kevin Brown...).

Idiots.

At least Furcal gets tons of cash, warm weather and doesn't have to play for that band of losers on the north side. Congrats, kid.

beckett21
12-04-2005, 02:01 PM
The Marlins might be cheap and not traditional in any means but you can't really argue with their success. While it's not a sustained year in year out success, they set them selves up to make a run every 3-6 years. They develop a lot of cheap talent, supplement it for a year or two with all the money they've saved the last 4-5 years and make some playoff runs. Then reload with young talent and do it again. Gosh, I'm sure a lot of us would have taken that over the last 80 years or so. Every 5 years have a shot at it after watching the majority of a group develop in front of your eyes. Given their market and the constraints they have it's not too bad of a way to run a team.

You can defend it all you want, and you can't argue with their success I suppose.

The fact remains that right now they are holding the city of Miami and their fanbase hostage as they GIVE away all of their talent. They are setting the stage for a move. The fans either have to pay money to watch a AAA club on the field, or else they're gone. They have in essence rendered themselves uncompetetive for several years to come, in order to facilitate a move to the city of their choosing.

What they are doing should not be allowed. Charlie O. Finley wasn't allowed to do it back in the early '70's. But since we are graced with a Commissioner with no backbone and clearly with the sole interests of ownership in mind, the fire sale continues. Loria already did this once in Montreal. It's despicable that he is allowed to do it again.

:tool

Gee, do you think that the Marlins fans are catching on to us? :nuts:

Dick Allen
12-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I think Mike Murphy just curled up in the fetal position.

peeonwrigley
12-04-2005, 04:50 PM
You can defend it all you want, and you can't argue with their success I suppose.

The fact remains that right now they are holding the city of Miami and their fanbase hostage as they GIVE away all of their talent. They are setting the stage for a move. The fans either have to pay money to watch a AAA club on the field, or else they're gone. They have in essence rendered themselves uncompetetive for several years to come, in order to facilitate a move to the city of their choosing.

What they are doing should not be allowed. Charlie O. Finley wasn't allowed to do it back in the early '70's. But since we are graced with a Commissioner with no backbone and clearly with the sole interests of ownership in mind, the fire sale continues. Loria already did this once in Montreal. It's despicable that he is allowed to do it again.

:tool

Gee, do you think that the Marlins fans are catching on to us? :nuts:

Who owns this team? Rachel Phelps?

The only difference between what Florida is currently doing and the Indians in Major League is that the Marlins are trying to move from South Florida, and not to it.

soxfanreggie
12-04-2005, 05:50 PM
The Marlins are assembling a decent amount of prospects...but if I was somebody like Dontrelle Willis, I would be very unhappy that they are getting rid of any chance at winning now that he has. He will be out of town, so look for the Marlins to trade him when his rookie contract is up. I hope the Yankees bid the Flubs up for Juan Pierre...but the Yankees don't have many prospects...maybe they could give like $5 million for Pierre instead of a prospect. I'm sure the Marlins would like the $$$ better.

wdelaney72
12-04-2005, 10:18 PM
All Cub-bashing aside, the Dodgers overpaying for this guy is bad for baseball. I really think this is getting riiculous. Furcal is not worth this kind of money. I think now the Cubs will be forced to sign Johnny Damon for an insane amount of money. That will give them a fairly decent leadoff hitter, but at WAY too high of a price tag.