PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Goal

CallMeNuts
12-03-2005, 09:38 PM
There is one more drought the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox need to put to an end. The White Sox are one of the six major league franchises to have never gone to the playoffs in two consecutive seasons. The other five (Rockies, Marlins, Padres, Devil Rays & Nationals/Expos) are all expansion franchises. None of these five teams played before 1969.

Stoky44
12-03-2005, 10:39 PM
GOAL: Win the Series again!!!!!!!!!! See grinder rule #88.

chisox
12-05-2005, 12:31 PM
i was a little dissapointed with our postseason record. one loss?! come on.

next year, sweep, sweep (AL champs), sweep (WS champs).

:bandance:

Dan Mega
12-05-2005, 12:32 PM
i was a little dissapointed with our postseason record. one loss?! come on.

next year, sweep, sweep (AL champs), sweep (WS champs).

:bandance:

And do it with even lower ratings! :D:

Tekijawa
12-05-2005, 12:34 PM
And do it with even lower ratings! :D:

And a smaller fan base!

I changed it for you Mods!:D:

downstairs
12-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Two numbers:

173 and 0.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Call Me:

I think that's a realistic and important goal. It would go a long way towards proving the Sox aren't just one year wonders, it would continue the drive to get their own city back and help change the attitudes that were ignored for to many years.

During Konerko's media conference call he said something along the same lines then added that if you just get to the playoffs you always have a chance to win it.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if the Sox were to get back to the playoffs and not win the World Series. At least they will have had the chance to win which is important.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
12-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Call Me:
I think that's a realistic and important goal. It would go a long way towards proving the Sox aren't just one year wonders, it would continue the drive to get their own city back and help change the attitudes that were ignored for to many years.

During Konerko's media conference call he said something along the same lines then added that if you just get to the playoffs you always have a chance to win it.

LipDitto...up until the point where you say you wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't win the Series. I'd still be disappointed, I'm sure, but getting back to the playoffs is something that needs to get done this season.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Tacos:

Considering the Sox have only made the post season five times in the fifty years I have been around I will not be disappointed if they get to the post season but don't win the World Series.

I will be extremely upset if the Sox 2006 season turns into something like say from 1984, 1995 or 2001 however.

Lip

mrs. hendu
12-05-2005, 01:46 PM
GOAL: See grinder rule #88.

Speaking of which - do you know where I can find a complete list of the grinder rules? :worship:

tacosalbarojas
12-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Tacos:

Considering the Sox have only made the post season five times in the fifty years I have been around I will not be disappointed if they get to the post season but don't win the World Series.

I will be extremely upset if the Sox 2006 season turns into something like say from 1984, 1995 or 2001 however.

LipFair enough. It would be nice not to have to find how we'd feel in either case.

The Critic
12-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Tacos:

Lip

I agree with this 100%.
I don't want their title reign to end at game 162. I want to see them in the postseason fighting to repeat, as I assume every single other Sox fan does too.
I'd really like to see how the second title feels....:bandance:

34 Inch Stick
12-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Tacos:

Lip

I agree. Looking back on the run from a champion's perspective, it is obvious that you have to be both good and lucky to win in the postseason. You cannot always count on the luck factor being in your favor. I consider sustained success to be making the playoffs on a regular basis and winning the playoff series that you are supposed to win.

CallMeNuts
12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Call Me:

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if the Sox were to get back to the playoffs and not win the World Series. At least they will have had the chance to win which is important.

Lip

Thank you. Yes, I'd like a World Series repeat as much as anyone else. But we need to approach 2006 the same way we approached 2005. You have to get to the playoffs first. Only then can we start seriously thinking about a repeat.

ChiSoxLifer
12-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Thank you. Yes, I'd like a World Series repeat as much as anyone else. But we need to approach 2006 the same way we approached 2005. You have to get to the playoffs first. Only then can we start seriously thinking about a repeat.

I'm sure Ozzie will have no problem getting his players to have that approach. But as a fan, I'm thinking repeat.

WestSideWhiteSox
12-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Call Me:

Lip

Lip - So much of how we'll feel about next year has to do with how the year unfolds. If they have a first half like '05, and then back their way into the playoffs and get swept in the first round, I'd have to say I'd be disappointed at that particular juncture. I don't expect that to happen, but part of disappointment has in large part to do with what one expects.

Certainly back-to-back playoffs would be a huge milestone, but I think this team is primed for longer term success too. If they can go to the playoffs 3 out of 5 years, and maybe all the way twice, they will cement themselves in baseball lore forever. It's not unrealistic.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I don't want their title reign to end at game 162. I want to see them in the postseason fighting to repeat....:bandance:
And in the event they do lose in the playoffs, just as the ball slaps into the opposing first baseman's mitt for the final Sox out of the series, maybe Chris Berman will say, "And the White Sox dream to repeat is over."

chisox77
12-06-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm greedy - I feel the White Sox can become a special team in this age of baseball, and repeat as World Series Champions. I also feel that it's our right to expect that. I will always savor this year's title, and team, yet I think it's even more exciting and special to have new expectations of success. This offseason has been excellent, with a big trade for Thome, and the resigning of Konerko. Clearly, the front office is sending a strong message.

:cool: