PDA

View Full Version : How good the Red Sox will be....

MattSharp
12-20-2001, 06:40 PM
If the BoSox can close the Johnny Damon they will be a serious wild card contender. Don't get me wrong, they could win teh division but it isn't likely.

The key to the Red Sox is avoiding injuries. If Nomar and Pedro stay healthly all year this team will be good. If they can get Damon their lineup will look like this:

CF Johnny Damon
RF Trot Nixon
SS Nomar Garciaparra
LF Manny Ramirez
1B Tony Clark
C Jason Varitek
DH Brian Daubach
3B Shea Hillenbrand
2B Pokey Reese

Tony Clark is coming off one of his better seasons in a couple years, and with Nomar and Manny hitting ahead of him he will have plenty of RBI oppurtunities. Brian Daubach remains one of the most underrated hitters in baseball and Shea Hillenbrand is still unproven. With Reese hitting 9th, you ahve the speed of a leadoff man at the bottom of your lineup.

Then look at their pitching:

Pedro Martinez
John Burkett
Dustin Hermanson
Derek Lowe
Frank Castillo / Darren Oliver

Bullpen
Closer - Ugueth Urbina
Castillo/Oliver
Arrojo
Wakefield
Garces
Beck

Everyone of their relievers had ERA's under 4.00. With a health Pedro there is no better ace in baseball. Burkett is coming off a career year despite being 37. If he has enough gas he win 10+ and keep an ERA uunder 4 again hes money. Hermanson has always been a favorite of mine but hasn't had a good year since '98. He also hasn't had this strong of a bullpen since then. Let's not forget he had some of his best years in Montreal when Pedro was there. Derek Lowe has to prove he can be a starter, but if he does it as well as he closes he will be a force.

This team is deep. If they can avoid injuries they will win the wild card this year.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 07:03 PM
Well, there's certainly a lot of recognizable names there, but it remains to be seen how effective they will be...

kermittheefrog
12-20-2001, 07:46 PM
I think you're overrating their starting pitching. Other than Pedro they don't have another proven good starter. Burkett isn't likely to be anything like last year, injuries have turned Hermanson into a shell of what he was, Castillo and Oliver suck. It should be interesting to see how Derek Lowe does as a starter. Maybe if he succeeds our Sox will take a hint and give Keith Foulke a shot.

Spiff
12-20-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think you're overrating their starting pitching. Other than Pedro they don't have another proven good starter. Burkett isn't likely to be anything like last year, injuries have turned Hermanson into a shell of what he was, Castillo and Oliver suck. It should be interesting to see how Derek Lowe does as a starter. Maybe if he succeeds our Sox will take a hint and give Keith Foulke a shot.

I have been thinking the same things the past few days, Matt. Putting the lineups and rotations together in my head, and they seem solid all around.

I think Burkett can keep it up, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop last year and it just didn't happen. He knows how to pitch. Castillo might be alright if he can stay healthy, and who knows with Hermanson. When he was in Montreal he was extremely tough to beat though. Oliver is 5-1 career against the Yankees and that is the key to why they got him. Lowe can be good but he, like Manny, is very sensitive to the fans and the enviroment which should improve with Everett gone. If I'm Tim Wakefield I'm P-I-S-S-E-D. This team seems to have it in for him like the White Sox did Sean Lowe. He and Nomo were the only two constants last year, and they kept moving him from bullpen to starter to bullpen. Their bullpen is not spectacular but they know how to get out of jams. Cone could also contribute.

It's too bad they fired the best manager they'd had in years. But if they somehow win the series...oh man I can't imagine what it would be like around here...

Huisj
12-20-2001, 09:12 PM
I don't see their pitching coming through all that well. If Martinez is fragile, even with his second half rest last year. Hermanson could be ok I guess, and so could Burkett maybe, but without Greg Maddux right there to work with every day like last year, and with a short fence in left, and considering the AL seems to hit harder than the NL (does anyone else agree with me on that?) I'll be suprised if he has another good year. If they put Oliver in their rotation, they are screwed--a lefty with an 82 mph fastball and a loopy breaking ball is going to have a 7 era as least playing in fenway. Their offence could be good, but there are a lot of injury prone players like clark, ramirez, and even garciaparra. Also, Pokey's speed (i love the irony in that) doesn't do a thing as long as he's striking out and hitting .220. And damon could go either way--who will show up, the .260 damon or the monster .320 damon? The Red Sox are a team with lots of question marks I think.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 09:20 PM

Foulke will never be a good starter. Once he gets through the lineup one time and the opposing hitters figure out his timing, he's meat. He's a great closer - one of the top 2 or 3 in baseball. But as a starter, he would be mediocre at best.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

If I'm Tim Wakefield I'm P-I-S-S-E-D.

Like most knuckleballers, Tim Wakefield is very inconsistent. When his knuckler is on, he's hard to hit, when it's not, then good night, Irene. His problem is that the Red Sox have no idea how to handle him. If a knuckleballer gets knocked around in the first couple innings, especially if he's walking people, GET HIM OUT OF THERE. He's not going to pitch out of it. He doesn't have it that night, wait until next time. The Red Sox apparently don't understand that.

kermittheefrog
12-20-2001, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
I don't see their pitching coming through all that well. If Martinez is fragile, even with his second half rest last year. Hermanson could be ok I guess, and so could Burkett maybe, but without Greg Maddux right there to work with every day like last year, and with a short fence in left, and considering the AL seems to hit harder than the NL (does anyone else agree with me on that?) I'll be suprised if he has another good year. If they put Oliver in their rotation, they are screwed--a lefty with an 82 mph fastball and a loopy breaking ball is going to have a 7 era as least playing in fenway. Their offence could be good, but there are a lot of injury prone players like clark, ramirez, and even garciaparra. Also, Pokey's speed (i love the irony in that) doesn't do a thing as long as he's striking out and hitting .220. And damon could go either way--who will show up, the .260 damon or the monster .320 damon? The Red Sox are a team with lots of question marks I think.

Not only does Burkett no longer have Maddux but he doesn't have Leo Mazzone anymore either. Mazzone is one of the best pitching coaches in baseball, losing two adivsors like that could be doom for Burkett. Boston has a guy like that in Joe Kerrigan but they made him manager and recent history has shown (Larry Rothschild, Ray Miller) going from pitching coach to manager isn't a guarenteed success. It takes away from the guy's time with the pitchers, so they lose some attention from a great mind to work with.

RichH55
12-22-2001, 07:32 AM

Not only does Burkett no longer have Maddux but he doesn't have Leo Mazzone anymore either. Mazzone is one of the best pitching coaches in baseball, losing two adivsors like that could be doom for Burkett. Boston has a guy like that in Joe Kerrigan but they made him manager and recent history has shown (Larry Rothschild, Ray Miller) going from pitching coach to manager isn't a guarenteed success. It takes away from the guy's time with the pitchers, so they lose some attention from a great mind to work with.

Agreed Kermit...the Boston Red Sox are full of what-ifs....the two sure things they had were Pedro and Nomar(that was the Red Sox for a couple of years there) and as we saw last year they aren't golden anymore....I have not heard good things about Nomar and Pedro doesn't exactly sound thrilled to be there, and Manny has been making waves(he seems to grow more discontented all the time) That starting pitching is a ? even if Pedro does come back(I hope he does because simply put: Watching him pitch is watching greatness), but I would be willing to bet against the Red Sox making the postseason this year