PDA

View Full Version : 3 way deal Tex-Cubs-Oak

getonbckthr
12-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Cubs get-Mench and Zito
Tex get- Wood and Walker
Oak gets -Soriano
Plus some prospect movement as well. Being reported in tommorows tribune and on the score, sun times frantically trying to find info.

JermaineDye05
12-03-2005, 06:14 PM
whered you hear this, and this isnt by any chance like the dodgers-d-rays-white sox deal is it

getonbckthr
12-03-2005, 06:15 PM
whered you hear this, and this isnt by any chance like the dodgers-d-rays-white sox deal is it
Read my whole post!!!

Soxzilla
12-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I need to see the pictures that Hendry has of these other GMs that enables him to pull off these heinous trades.

Such crap, for such quality. Unbelievable.

I wouldn't even trade Mench for Kerry Wood straight up.

EDIT - My bad Beckett, I was in a hurry.

beckett21
12-03-2005, 06:18 PM
I need to see the pictures that Hendry has of these other GMs that enables him to pull off these hanus trades.

Such crap, for such quality. Unbelievable.

I wouldn't even trade Mench for Kerry Wood straight up.

Agreed.

Phenomenal deal for the Cubs if indeed true, IMO.

*and I think you mean heinous :redneck

getonbckthr
12-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Turn on the score and read the cubune tommorow.

Chisox003
12-03-2005, 06:19 PM
If this goes down, Hangar will be firing on all cylinders....

I won't believe it 'til I see it .... That's just absurd.

Edit: IF this has any truth to it, what the HELL is Texas thinking??

The Dude
12-03-2005, 06:21 PM
No way this happens! The cubs would make out like bandits with a deal like this!

chisoxmike
12-03-2005, 06:21 PM
:o: Who is Henry and the Tribune Co. paying off?

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 06:28 PM
It's not gonna happen. My understanding is that Phil Rogers speculated about this if the Cub somehow got a certain free agent pitcher. Also, Carrie has a full no-trade clause. Again, all signs point to complete speculation by Phil Rogers (which there is nothing wrong with). Of course someone read his article in the Trib and decided to talk about it as if it is a done deal. Sorry.

TheDarkGundam
12-03-2005, 06:29 PM
so this is not legit?

beckett21
12-03-2005, 06:30 PM
It's not gonna happen. My understanding is that Phil Rogers speculated about this if the Cub somehow got a certain free agent pitcher. Also, Carrie has a full no-trade clause. Again, all signs point to complete speculation by Phil Rogers (which there is nothing wrong with). Of course someone read his article in the Trib and decided to talk about it as if it is a done deal. Sorry.

I can't find anything about this anywhere. Pure speculation apparently.

Excuse me while I go change my shorts. :redneck

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I can't find anything about this anywhere. Pure speculation apparently.

Excuse me while I go change my shorts. :redneck

It's apparently part of Rogers' article in tomorrow's Trib. Common sense tells me The Score picked up on it and is now passing it along as a legitimate rumor, not just speculation. I sure am glad I don't listen to sportscrap radio.

buehrle4cy05
12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Didn't Texas offer Mark Teixeira for Kerry Wood a few years back?

beckett21
12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
It's apparently part of Rogers' article in tomorrow's Trib. Common sense tells me The Score picked up on it and is now passing it along as a legitimate rumor, not just speculation. I sure am glad I don't listen to sportscrap radio.

I've been listening since I saw this thread and there hasn't been anything more about it.

Thankfully, I can go back to my music now before my IQ drops any lower.

getonbckthr
12-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Sorry for the scare guys, but on the Score around 330 -400 on my way home from work they made it seem inevitable.

beckett21
12-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Sorry for the scare guys, but on the Score around 330 -400 on my way home from work they made it seem inevitable.

Well, at least it made for an exciting 20 minutes. :D:

JermaineDye05
12-03-2005, 06:45 PM
didnt the score speculate back in oakland that there were heavy talks between kenny and the giants for jason schmidt?

gowhitesox
12-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I looked through the Cubs (I mean Flubs) website and found nothing on the trade. Also looked through the baseball part of AOL and nothing mentioned. The Flubs site did mention that Wood is recovering from arthroscopic surgery and probably wouldn't be ready by opening day. I doubt very much if a team would trade for someone recovering from surgery.

Banix12
12-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I can actually see this one going down, not exactly in this form but for the principal parts it makes some sense. Though frankly i wonder why the Rangers would even get the cubs involved. Just trade Oakland Soriano for Zito.

Though if the Cubs are involved it is because Oakland hates the Rangers prospects and really wants one of the cubs guys. If I had to bet the prospect they have their eye on is Rich Hill, a Barry Zito type pitcher with a wicked curveball who currently doesn't seem to fit into the cubs plans.

y2j2785
12-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Just listened to the Score's update and their is nothing mentioned about this trade. The only thing they mentioned was that Furcal will likely announce his decision by Noon tomorrow.

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Just listened to the Score's update and their is nothing mentioned about this trade. The only thing they mentioned was that Furcal will likely announce his decision by Noon tomorrow.

If that's true, it should leak tonight where he will sign.

CLR01
12-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I heard this on the score as well. The said the Cubs will also be parting with some prospects and cash to pay Wood's salary.

soxfan43
12-03-2005, 07:10 PM
I heard some caller talking about this morning on that crappy radio show they had on the score today. I guess its somehow related to where burnett signs. but it will be in the tribune tomorrow, but its pure speculation. the host compared rogers rumors to the NBA trades sam smith comes up, which by the way are ridiculous sometimes.

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 07:11 PM
I heard some caller talking about this morning on that crappy radio show they had on the score today. I guess its somehow related to where burnett signs. but it will be in the tribune tomorrow, but its pure speculation. the host compared rogers rumors to the NBA trades sam smith comes up, which by the way are ridiculous sometimes.

There is a difference between a rumor and speculation. All signs indicate this was speculation by Rogers assuming the Cub signs Burnett. The Score is the one that ran with it calling it a rumor.

MarySwiss
12-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Cubs would make out like a bandit, which is why I doubt the veracity of this rumor.

Jjav829
12-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Cubs get-Mench and Zito
Tex get- Wood and Walker
Oak gets -Soriano
Plus some prospect movement as well. Being reported in tommorows tribune and on the score, sun times frantically trying to find info.

Not happening. The biggest reason is Billy Beane would never do this. Soriano is about as far from being a Beane player as you can find. He doesn't walk and plays horrible defense. Soriano, like Zito, is also a free agent after 2006. Why the hell would Beane do this?

Like I said, not happening.

Soxzilla
12-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Not happening. The biggest reason is Billy Beane would never do this. Soriano is about as far from being a Beane player as you can find. He doesn't walk and plays horrible defense. Soriano, like Zito, is also a free agent after 2006. Why the hell would Beane do this?

Well he did trade for Kendall last year...

Who isn't your typical Beane player.

nodiggity59
12-03-2005, 07:56 PM

:?: Kendall is THE prototypical BB player. He has a career .382 OBP. That is fantastic, especially for a catcher.

Optipessimism
12-03-2005, 07:58 PM

My thoughts exactly. The Flubs would be the only team getting better so this is obviously one of those Cub fan "how about this?" trades. Usually when you see a trade mentioned and prospects are involved but not named, that is the clearest signal of BS.

Zito will probably be traded but Beane will be smart about this since the FA pitching is so terrible this year. He should be able to keep teams bidding for quite a while before he pulls the trigger, and when he does he will get a very nice return. The same goes for our starters I might add, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them shopped.

Kerry Wood goes nowhere but the DL. Nobody touches that contract, period.

Soriano might be dealt, but I think you'd have to be pretty stupid to put him at 2B and it doesn't look like he's willing to move to any other position.

Soxzilla
12-03-2005, 08:00 PM
:?: Kendall is THE prototypical BB player. He has a career .382 OBP. That is fantastic, especially for a catcher.

Yeah. But his contract was outrageous, and his defense isn't exactly the best in the league.

That's a lot of money to spend on someone who is going to litter the field with very FEW extra base hits.

nodiggity59
12-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah. But his contract was outrageous, and his defense isn't exactly the best in the league.

That's a lot of money to spend on someone who is going to litter the field with very FEW extra base hits.

True. But for dumping Redman and Rhodes, a guy like Kendall is what BB would hope for. BB wouldn't have signed him to a deal like that, but in terms of trading overpaid salaries I was not at all surprised in seeing BB acquire Kendall.

Soxzilla
12-03-2005, 09:31 PM
True. But for dumping Redman and Rhodes, a guy like Kendall is what BB would hope for. BB wouldn't have signed him to a deal like that, but in terms of trading overpaid salaries I was not at all surprised in seeing BB acquire Kendall.

True.

Tragg
12-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Cubs get-Mench and Zito
Tex get- Wood and Walker
Oak gets -Soriano

I don't buy it because Soriano is the anti-moneyball player.
I also don't buy it because if you just knock the cubs out of this deal, Oakland gets Soriano for Zito; surely Texas would prefer Mench and Zito to Wood and Walker...I mean, who wouldn't?

This would be the steal of the century for the Cubs.

dickallen15
12-03-2005, 11:17 PM

He's not, but he could be traded again. This seems too far-fetched to ever happen anyway.

Banix12
12-04-2005, 12:48 AM
I think even though he is an anti-moneyball player the A's wouldn't mind acquiring Soriano depending on the kind of prospects he would bring along with him in the trade. Not sure what the Rangers have in the way of minor league pitchers, though judging from their starting staff in the majors I would say not much, but I think there are a few guys in the Cubs system who Oakland would have some serious interest in acquiring.

Then they could just take Soriano and flip him off on another team either now or at the trading deadline for anything they wanted. While I think Beane would rather get a whole mess of young pitching, I don't think he would completely refuse another trading chip.

I think it's an unlikely trade but I think you have two teams involved here in the Rangers and Cubs who are desperate for improvement and I wouldn't put anything past them right now. And while this specific trade might not happen, I certainly see many of these guys finding other teams in the next couple months.

getonbckthr
12-04-2005, 01:16 AM
The way I view this trade is that Texas is desperate for pitching. Beane being the arrogant horse's ass he is would never consider bettering a team in his own division even at the expense of helping his own. Here comes the Cubs. I think more than a 3 team deal its more like 2 deals hinging on the first being done. Basically broken down as Wood and Walker for Soriano and Mench. The Cubs in turn deal Soriano and prospects (one rumored to be Rich Hill) for Zito. Texas in their eyes win cause they get pitching help (hahaha) in Wood and Walker to replace a guy they have been wanting to get rid of since they acquired him in Soriano and for some reason they want to rid themselves of Mench as he has been rumored alot in this offseason already. As far as Oakland goes they get thier right handed power hitter they went into the offseason looking for, they get value out of Zito, and they acquire a Zito-esque pitcher in Hill and (Beane's favorite word) prospects.

MrRoboto83
12-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Cubs get-Mench and Zito
Tex get- Wood and Walker
Oak gets -Soriano

No way Beane is involved in a trade like this. Why get rid of good pitching for Soriano?

cbone
12-04-2005, 08:45 AM
So does this mean the Sox are not getting Ken Griffey? I hate sports radio!