PDA

View Full Version : Manny and Wells Gone?

cbone
12-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Interesting article about possible Red Sox trades.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10309657/from/RS.2/

Fenway
12-03-2005, 03:46 PM
The Globe article

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/03/ramirez_wells_bring_interest/

Everybody in Boston waiting for the shoe to drop

Optipessimism
12-03-2005, 04:07 PM
If you're the Pads, why in the hell do you trade Mark Loretta for David freaking Wells??? Just keep him for God sakes. If I'm the Red Sox I do this deal laughing all the way to the bank.

And what would the Rangers want with Manny?? Another bloated contract to keep them from signing starting pitching? If they made him DH it wouldn't hurt their defense, but then who would want Phil Nevin? If the Rangers are thinking of trading one of their young sluggers like Young or Texiera for Manny they must be braindead, and if they also think that they can bank their future on Chris Young and Edison Volquez and the like, they must be even dumber. How do they expect to compete against Oakland and LAAA's pitching?

Soxzilla
12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Different GM, same dumb mistakes.

munchman33
12-03-2005, 05:40 PM
If you're the Pads, why in the hell do you trade Mark Loretta for David freaking Wells???

Article says they're trying to free up 2nd base for a run at Nomar. Bigger upside. Also, they're asking for Doug Mirabelli in the trade as well, and he'd enter the season as their starting catcher.

Jjav829
12-03-2005, 06:34 PM
If you're the Pads, why in the hell do you trade Mark Loretta for David freaking Wells??? Just keep him for God sakes. If I'm the Red Sox I do this deal laughing all the way to the bank.

That was my first reaction. However, apparently the Padres plan is to trade Loretta for Wells and Mirabelli and then sign Nomar to play second base. If they do that, it's not so bad. They really need another starter and Wells pitched well for them in 2004.

And what would the Rangers want with Manny?? Another bloated contract to keep them from signing starting pitching? If they made him DH it wouldn't hurt their defense, but then who would want Phil Nevin? If the Rangers are thinking of trading one of their young sluggers like Young or Texiera for Manny they must be braindead, and if they also think that they can bank their future on Chris Young and Edison Volquez and the like, they must be even dumber. How do they expect to compete against Oakland and LAAA's pitching?

I have no idea what the Rangers are thinking. They must not be if this is true. If they are going to trade Soriano, which they should, they should receive pitching in return. Trading Soriano for anything other than starting pitching is a waste of a trade. Someone should be willing to give up a pitcher for him. Hell, even if the best they can do is Kris Benson, at least he's a decent starter.

Tragg
12-03-2005, 09:27 PM

Pretty amazing considering they got A Rod out of there. Now they want to take the salary back on.