PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Rules

BV2005
12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
does anyone have a list of all the grinder rules, I want to include them on a poster for this past season. I heard they have a different one for every regular season game and every playoff game, so that should be 172 total rules. If anyone could tell me where I could find them i will greatly appreciate it.

The Wall
12-03-2005, 03:00 PM
I believe there were only 162 - one for each regular season game. They did not do it for the postseason. Two By Four can confirm that and might be able to put up the list.

Two By Four
12-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Okay, here is the info on the Grinder rules...

They NUMBER up to 162 so far (number of regular season games). BUT not all numbers are used up yet (I am actually sitting here writing some for the new campaign tonight, just wrote #83).

I have the only spreadsheet of all of them on my computer. We will be posting the complete list on whitesox.com within the next two weeks (I will give WSI a heads up ahead of time).

And "hot off the presses" the newest Grinder Rule will go up on the stadium as a huge banner, featuring a huge shot of the trophy (the same photo we used on the cover of the new Sox DVD). It's #88, for the number of years since the last Sox celebration. (I think it's one of my top three favorite ads, if I do say so myself!)

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 10:28 PM

They NUMBER up to 162 so far (number of regular season games). BUT not all numbers are used up yet (I am actually sitting here writing some for the new campaign tonight, just wrote #83).

I have the only spreadsheet of all of them on my computer. We will be posting the complete list on whitesox.com within the next two weeks (I will give WSI a heads up ahead of time).

And "hot off the presses" the newest Grinder Rule will go up on the stadium as a huge banner, featuring a huge shot of the trophy (the same photo we used on the cover of the new Sox DVD). It's #88, for the number of years since the last Sox celebration. (I think it's one of my top three favorite ads, if I do say so myself!)

The print ads are quite the site. Too bad they cannot be made into posters for the public or at least put into a nice, color photo book available for purchase. Those would go like hotcakes...especially around the holidays.

BeefyD
12-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Excellent! I'm glad to hear that the whole list will be published online.
Maybe you can persuade them to include little jpgs like your attachment so that we could see them (but too small to make a book out of).

See you on Monday night!

Two By Four
12-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Maybe you can persuade them to include little jpgs like your attachment so that we could see them (but too small to make a book out of).
Most people don't know this, but most of the ads can be seen at WhiteSox.com. Good sizes too.

See you on Monday night!
Yes, we are sending a big group from Two by Four...look for us.

TornLabrum
12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Grinder Rule #88 is the best of them all.

Martinigirl
12-03-2005, 11:17 PM
(I think it's one of my top three favorite ads, if I do say so myself!)

And what are you two other favorites?

Palehose13
12-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Two By Four-

Another fine piece of work. Brooks knew what he was doing by hiring you (if it was Brooks that did, if not someone else gets kudos!) Thanks for giving us previews. Since I live out of town, I usually only get the heads up on new ads here.

Two By Four
12-03-2005, 11:21 PM
And what are you two other favorites?
"El Duque" ad is my favorite for many reasons, though it is not a true Grinder Rule Ad. But I wrote that on the plane back from game three at Boston. I had never been to Fenway and I also got to go to the after game party with the team. So that night and writing an ad that captures one of the greatest innings and performances in baseball history, well that is pretty special.

I absolutely love Grinder Rule #162: Crying in baseball, only acceptable if champagne burns your eyes.

But to be honest, it's like picking favorite between your kids!

tadscout
12-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Two By Four-

Another fine piece of work. Brooks knew what he was doing by hiring you (if it was Brooks that did, if not someone else gets kudos!) Thanks for giving us previews. Since I live out of town, I usually only get the heads up on new ads here.

Same here... Thanks!

LuvSox
12-03-2005, 11:23 PM
"El Duque" ad is my favorite for many reasons, though it is not a true Grinder Rule Ad. But I wrote that on the plane back from game three at Boston. I had never been to Fenway and I also got to go to the after game party with the team. So that night and writing an ad that captures one of the greatest innings and performances in baseball history, well that is pretty special.

I absolutely love Grinder Rule #162: Crying in baseball, only acceptable if champagne burns your eyes.

But to be honest, it's like picking favorite between your kids!

Great story. The Duque ad was a thing of beauty.

Two By Four
12-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Two By Four-

Thanks for the kind words, but we did do some clunkers early on. Did some tv spots around Win or Die Trying that killed off players. Nobel effort but they kinda stunk. But we got on track and the work has been well recieved.

And yes, Brooks was part of the team of four that hired us. I really like him and have become good friends as well as business associates. Again thanks.

LuvSox
12-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words, but we did do some clunkers early on. Did some tv spots around Win or Die Trying that killed off players. Nobel effort but they kinda stunk. But we got on track and the work has been well recieved.

The Buehrle ad was pretty funny, like he was kind of hitting on the girl.

Crede_Fan
12-03-2005, 11:45 PM

And yes, Brooks was part of the team of four that hired us. I really like him and have become good friends as well as business associates. Again thanks.

I liked the Shingo & Gooch one.

On a side note, all of the ads have really paid off. My nephew who grew up in a Yankee/Cub family became a true Sox fan this year. He'll knows almost all the grinder rules.

RealMenWearBlack
12-04-2005, 01:25 AM
The Buehrle ad was pretty funny, like he was kind of hitting on the girl.

That's the one where he's on the train with the angel, right?

IlliniSox4Life
12-04-2005, 02:32 AM
The print ads are quite the site. Too bad they cannot be made into posters for the public or at least put into a nice, color photo book available for purchase. Those would go like hotcakes...especially around the holidays.

I could see a nice set of framed prints like those "motivational" ones you see around offices and schools, but instead of having a world like "perserverence" with some nature picture to go along with it, just the grinder ad. I would hang those all over my apartment.

And two by four, I definately love the ads; keep up the good work. If we have ideas for new grinder rules, is there any way we can submit them? I don't have any off the top of my head, but I'm sure some will strike me sometime.

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 02:40 AM
I could see a nice set of framed prints like those "motivational" ones you see around offices and schools, but instead of having a world like "perserverence" with some nature picture to go along with it, just the grinder ad. I would hang those all over my apartment.

And two by four, I definately love the ads; keep up the good work. If we have ideas for new grinder rules, is there any way we can submit them? I don't have any off the top of my head, but I'm sure some will strike me sometime.

I think it'd be hilarious if he somehow slipped in a shot at Dark Clouds in one of the ads. Something like:

World Championship baseball. Makes every day seem bright and sunny.

MUsoxfan
12-04-2005, 02:42 AM

Time to renegotiate your contract:D:

IlliniSox4Life
12-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Time to renegotiate your contract:D:

Hmmm.... Two by Four.... as a nickname he could go by Two.... Two is also written To..... To is also T.O..... and T.O. is a nickname for Terrell Owens!!! :o:

Watch out Brooks! Trade him now so you at least get some value!

LuvSox
12-04-2005, 06:59 AM
That's the one where he's on the train with the angel, right?

That's the one.

BV2005
12-04-2005, 08:32 PM
http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/campaigns/y2005/bus_sides/superman_326x500.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/campaigns/y2005/outdoor/images/45_lg.jpg

notice any similarites between the rule numbers.

IggyD
12-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Here is a wall of a Grinder Rule I made up

[/url][url="http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rule20050pj.gif"]http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/605/rule20050pj.th.gif (http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rule20057pr.gif)

DaBears
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Grinder Rule #2 and #10 are both the same: "Only One Stat Matters: W"

I'll assume one was for regualr season W's and the other for Postseason W's:D:

Layla
01-01-2006, 02:24 PM
I haven't been here for a long time, so I've had to back track through alot of threads.

I just want to say that I think the Grinder Rules was one of the best, most imaginative campaigns ever done.

Can I ask how you guys came up with the idea? And like everyone else, I look forward to seeing all the Grinder Rules on one list.

As for the idea of t shirts, God, they would sell. But I would love to see a t shirt with Grinder Rule 1, 162, and 174 on it.

Thanks again for the great work.

thomas35forever
01-02-2006, 12:11 AM
[quote=Crede_Fan]I liked the Shingo & Gooch one.
quote]

I forgot what happened in that one. I know that they "die" when they collide on the field, but could someone fill me in on what happens after that?

leens01
01-02-2006, 01:06 AM
When they get to Heaven, the angel refuses to take them because he was only supposed to get one. He makes a comment about how they aren't speaking English and asks if they are speaking French and they look at each other questioningly. Then he sends them back down to Earth.

One thing I didn't understand about those ads was why everone went to Heaven and Aaron went to Hell. That always left me perturbed.

TornLabrum
01-02-2006, 01:08 AM
When they get to Heaven, the angel refuses to take them because he was only supposed to get one. He makes a comment about how they aren't speaking English and asks if they are speaking French and they look at each other questioningly. Then he sends them back down to Earth.

One thing I didn't understand about those ads was why everone went to Heaven and Aaron went to Hell. That always left me perturbed.

I call it prophetic considering Aaron ended up in Philadelphia.