PDA

View Full Version : Neal Cotts Day at Illinois State University

soxfanreggie
12-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Neal Cotts will be attending the Illinois State University Redbirds game today at Redbird Arena vs the UW-Green Bay Phoenix. He will be signing autographs after the game for $5 with all proceeds going to the Special Olympics. Tickets are still available. Come meet a World Champion who kicked butt this season and help out Special Olympics as well as cheering on an Illinois team going for its 3rd straight win! Pictures are provided by the Bloomington-Normal Pantagraph free of charge (they're really nice).

BV2005
12-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Im assuming this is the basketball game? Do you know what time the game is and how long he will be signing for. My friend goes to ISU and i was wondering if it is too late to call him to get me an autograph

ndu3t4
12-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Neal is an Illinois state alumn. It's cool that he's returning to help a good cause.

SoxSideIrish
12-04-2005, 03:06 AM
I guess Neal Cotts was @ ISU yesterday, I didn't realize he was an alum.

Heres the article about him in the Bloomington-Normal Pantagraph.

Linky-Link-McLinkerson (http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/120405/spo_20051204038.shtml)

jehosaphat
12-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Neal came through - I guess there were about 500 or so folks in line. He couldn't have been a more class act. ISU and the Sox should be proud of him.

My 8-year old identical twins, both decked out in Sox uniform shirts and hats, brought their baseballs for him to autograph. Right before it was their turn, a guy said to them "Do you want a picture" and predictably they grabbed one and then, spellbound, they both handed the pictures to Neal instead of the baseballs. He signed their pictures, and I said words to the effect "Didn't you want him to sign your baseballs?" and their eyes got big and he seemed to chuckle, and then said "Oh" and reached out and got the baseballs from them and signed both of these as well.

Neal was humble and polite. He had a body language and a look on his face that seemed to say "What am I doing here?" - he appeared to to be getting a kick out of all the attention but at the same time he was a bit embarrased by all of it. Quite frankly, he looked just like any other ISU student.

There was something about him that was very likable. I hope he has a long, successful career with the White Sox.

dlee120
12-05-2005, 10:55 PM
I guess Neal Cotts was @ ISU yesterday, I didn't realize he was an alum.

Heres the article about him in the Bloomington-Normal Pantagraph.

Linky-Link-McLinkerson (http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/120405/spo_20051204038.shtml)

If only I posted more, then you would have known! I wish I could have made it to the autograph session, unfortunately I had a prior commitment.

JohnBasedowYoda
12-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Neal got a pretty good ovation at the release party today. Crowd made some noise whenever he was shown in the film too.

ShoelessJoeS
12-05-2005, 11:34 PM
If only I posted more, then you would have known! I wish I could have made it to the autograph session, unfortunately I had a prior commitment.
Tell me about, stupid upcoming finals....:angry:

BainesHOF
12-06-2005, 02:57 AM
Cotts is a great guy. Even before this past season, he donated a chunk of money to ISU's baseball program. That's very impressive since he's not making the big money yet.

MUsoxfan
12-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Cotts is a great guy. Even before this past season, he donated a chunk of money to ISU's baseball program. That's very impressive since he's not making the big money yet.

Yeah, it sucks to make 3x as much money as what I dream to make on an annual basis.

I'm very glad he's making good use of his money. There will be alot more where that came from and hopefully that means good things for ISU baseball and other charities he may give to.

StockdaleForVeep
12-06-2005, 03:15 AM
Neal is an Illinois state alumn. It's cool that he's returning to help a good cause.

Highest draft pick ever to come out of ISU

chisoxfanatic
12-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Was Neal involved in pre-game or halftime festivities? Was there an ovation for him?

I knew him five years ago as a freshman at ISU. I even ate dinner with the baseball team on various occasions, and Neal would usually be one of the quietest of them all. He IS a class-act, and I'm glad to be an alumn of the same university as him!

Go Neal, and go ISU!

jehosaphat
12-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Was Neal involved in pre-game or halftime festivities? Was there an ovation for him?

I knew him five years ago as a freshman at ISU. I even ate dinner with the baseball team on various occasions, and Neal would usually be one of the quietest of them all. He IS a class-act, and I'm glad to be an alumn of the same university as him!

Go Neal, and go ISU!

He came out at halftime and waved - it was all very low keyed.