PDA

View Full Version : Deal near for DC ballpark

Fenway
12-03-2005, 01:28 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/02/AR2005120202068.html
Negotiators will continue discussions, but the deal could be wrapped up and delivered to the D.C. Council early next week, said Mark H. Tuohey, chairman of the D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission. City sources said agreement has been reached on the District's two key demands, the $20 million payment and a letter of credit from baseball.

In return for the payment, baseball will receive a concession from the city, government sources familiar with the negotiations said. The nature of that concession was not disclosed.

"We have completed the negotiations," Tuohey said. "We are going to be doing some drafting over the weekend. We have essentially resolved the issues."

Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, baseball's lead negotiator on the lease, left the District yesterday afternoon. Other baseball officials, including Washington Nationals President Tony Tavares, will meet with city officials this weekend.

SOXintheBURGH
12-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I saw some sketches of new park ideas when I was living out there, some of them looked totally badass.

Hitmen77
12-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Glad to hear it. I know it's a lot of money for a city like Washington to pay, but I believe the benefits of a downtown, retro-styled ballpark (and keeping baseball in Washington) will make it worth it in the long run.

nccwsfan
12-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Glad to hear it. I know it's a lot of money for a city like Washington to pay, but I believe the benefits of a downtown, retro-styled ballpark (and keeping baseball in Washington) will make it worth it in the long run.

Absolutely- moving the team to DC was the best thing that happened to the franchise. It's great to see a team in the area...

delben91
12-04-2005, 01:32 PM
There are a lot of hardcore fans down in the DC area. I know my grandfather grew up a Senators fan and rooted for the O's after the Senators moved just because he loved baseball too much to not root for anyone. He was overjoyed to hear the Nationals would be coming to Washington.

This is a good move for baseball, here's hoping the Nationals are there for a long, long time.

MiamiSpartan
12-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Good news. With the Marlins moving out of Miami, the Nationals will probably be the National League team I follow...

lths06
12-04-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm going to be going to D.C. next year for college (George Mason University). If only the Nats were in the AL so I could take the Metro and watch them loose to the Sox in their new ballpark. :(:

JohnBasedowYoda
12-05-2005, 12:05 AM
I saw some sketches of new park ideas when I was living out there, some of them looked totally badass.

someone should post pics of that

elrod
12-05-2005, 01:11 AM
I've seen sketches that looked cool as well. Right along the Anacostia River off M Street SE. That's the Navy Yard, which itself has expanded significantly the last few years. There's still a lot of gay night clubs and other "cultural" items in that area as of now, but it will change very quickly. We used to play softball on some random field off I Street SW and South Capitol next to the Southwest Freeway. It wasn't far from where the new stadium is going to be. It's pretty run down right now. Anyway, I think the new ballpark should have columns in front like the National Archives, not red brick like Camden Yards.

I_Liked_Manuel
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm going to be going to D.C. next year for college (George Mason University). If only the Nats were in the AL so I could take the Metro and watch them loose to the Sox in their new ballpark. :(:

it's a half hour train ride from d.c. to baltimore, and the trains run often. once in baltimore, it's a 5-10 minute cab ride.

DC Sox Fan
12-05-2005, 08:19 PM
someone should post pics of that

Ask and ye shall receive... This one is my favorite:
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wasbpk03.jpg

3D model:
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wasbpk02.jpg

Overhead:
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wasbpk01.jpg

It is supposed to be a break from the wave of the "retro style" parks in that it will feature a lot of glass and lighter toned masonry to try and match DC's architecture (monuments, capitol building, etc.) In this configuration, the Capitol Dome would be visible looking out towards left-center field.

The Nats blew away attendance expectations. Now all they need is for Bud to sell the damn team. Of course :reinsy has been handling the stadium deal negotiations and got a hell of a deal for the owners. This team should be sold for north of $450m because of the area's deep pockets, amazing initial fan support and sweet stadium lease. Although they have an attrocious TV deal (Thanks Havanna Pete Angelos :angry: )

Hitmen77
12-05-2005, 09:28 PM
The Nats blew away attendance expectations. Now all they need is for Bud to sell the damn team. Of course :reinsy has been handling the stadium deal negotiations and got a hell of a deal for the owners. This team should be sold for north of $450m because of the area's deep pockets, amazing initial fan support and sweet stadium lease. Although they have an attrocious TV deal (Thanks Havanna Pete Angelos :angry: )

Are you sure? JR has been quoted as saying MLB had reservations over the Nats drawing "only" 2.7 million in their inagural season which is lower than recent expansion teams' first season.

DC Sox Fan
12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Methinks that is another bargaining ploy by the chairman to make the DC council feal uneasy and try to appease the owners even more.

Compared to recent expansion teams- true, they didn't blow anyone away. But most local "experts" had predicted a little over 2m, best case 2.5m. The Nats surpased all preseason attendance expectations from anyone in the area

SOXintheBURGH
12-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Ask and ye shall receive... This one is my favorite:
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wasbpk03.jpg

3D model:
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wasbpk02.jpg

Overhead:
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wasbpk01.jpg

It is supposed to be a break from the wave of the "retro style" parks in that it will feature a lot of glass and lighter toned masonry to try and match DC's architecture (monuments, capitol building, etc.) In this configuration, the Capitol Dome would be visible looking out towards left-center field.

Thats the exact thing I remembered seeing. Looks sweet, eh?

MiamiSpartan
12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Looks sweet. Still looks retro to me, which is not a bad thing....

JohnBasedowYoda
12-05-2005, 11:54 PM
thanks dc sox fan! i hope to visit that someday. perhaps when the white sox are playing some interleague, or playoff ball

asindc
12-06-2005, 09:16 AM
it's a half hour train ride from d.c. to baltimore, and the trains run often. once in baltimore, it's a 5-10 minute cab ride.

Actually, the MARC (Maryland commuter rail) train will drop you off a block from Camden Yards. From George Mason, the only difficult part (if that) will be getting from the campus to the Metro stop.

nccwsfan
12-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Are you sure? JR has been quoted as saying MLB had reservations over the Nats drawing "only" 2.7 million in their inagural season which is lower than recent expansion teams' first season.

Compare that to the 900,000 that they were getting in Montreal/San Juan- I'm sure that MLB is happy with the situation. Once they have an ownership group to make team decisions it will solidify the fan base (provided the owner isn't someone like Naimoli).

Might be selfish but I'm glad that a team in now in DC.