PDA

View Full Version : B Mueller close to signing a 2 yr deal?

Whitesox4ever
12-03-2005, 12:15 PM
A friend of mine from Boston email me this report from what Billy Sample reported on an online chat..

Karen (St.Paul MN) Hi Billy! I love the Castillo trade. Do you think the Twins will sign Bill Mueller and any other rumors going on with Twins.

Sample: Look for the Twins to sign Joe Randa because from what I hear the White Sox will sign Bill Mueller to a 2 year deal at the winter meetings in Dallas

mdep524
12-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Hope it's true! I guess we'll find out this week. :cheers:

JUribe1989
12-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Whoa, that came outta nowhere. Where would he play most likely? Would he start over Crede or some sort of a platoon?

Fenway
12-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Hate to see him leave Boston but with Mike Lowell now here Boston can't use him.

Cell would be a good park for him to hit in.

maggsmaggs
12-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Mueller would be a platoon guy, who would play at 3rd once or twice a week, as well as some 2nd base, 1st base and DH.

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 12:55 PM
With the way Crede played down the stretch, Mueller is obviously coming in to be a utility guy.

antitwins13
12-03-2005, 12:58 PM
With the way Crede played down the stretch, Mueller is obviously coming in to be a utility guy.

I agree. I think the former batting champ would be a great utility player and a great bat for pinch hitting situations, but Joe Crede has earned a starting spot. End of story.

Soxzilla
12-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Then all we'd need is another outfielder (and maybe LH reliever to replace Marte, if they deem it necessary) and this team would be set. And we'd be saying good bye to at least Timo, if not both him AND Wee Willie.

fquaye149
12-03-2005, 01:03 PM
I agree. I think the former batting champ would be a great utility player and a great bat for pinch hitting situations, but Joe Crede has earned a starting spot. End of story.

I agree that Crede will probably be starting next year, especially since Ozzie of all people seems to be loyal to "the guys who got him there".

However, if in spring we had Mueller and Crede competing for a starting job, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Crede probably gets the job with his defense and power, but it's a nice decision to have to make?

I honestly think some people havethe luxury of not having to compete for their job on this team, but there are certain positions that if you could bring in someone to push them - SS, 3B, CF, back of the rotation, beginning of the bullpen - it's going to make the guys who we do have better.

thumbs up to if we sign Mueller for a few million.

veeter
12-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Then all we'd need is another outfielder (and maybe LH reliever to replace Marte, if they deem it necessary) and this team would be set. And we'd be saying good bye to at least Timo, if not both him AND Wee Willie.I never understand this kind of thinking. Let's get rid of players, so then we have to replace them. Huh? If we get rid of Marte, Willie and Timo, who do we get? These guys have all contributed in big ways for the Sox. The old saying, "be careful what you wish for", really comes into play.

socko82
12-03-2005, 01:13 PM

I agree Crede has earned the starting spot going into next year but I can't believe how many people have this guy as an automatic allstar based on a hot September and October. He could just as easy turn back into the guy who had multiple 5 for 50 stretchs last year that everyone wanted to get rid of in July. Mueller would be great insurance for Crede's back and just in case he turns back into the bad Joe Crede.

RowandKicksAss07
12-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I dont see why people are so down on Timo...the guy is a great bench player, he came into some big games last year and got a few key hits...he rarely ever starts, makes very little money and yet people think that he has no reason to be in the major leagues. You'd be hard pressed to find a guy who does as good a job as Timo. Pinch-hitting is not easy at all, and Timo is very succesdul at it...Yes, if we were in a position where Timo was penciled in to be the starting CF then yes we would have to upgrade, but Timo is going to a bench player for the rest of his career and hes a damn good one at that.

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 01:26 PM
I dont see why people are so down on Timo...the guy is a great bench player, he came into some big games last year and got a few key hits...he rarely ever starts, makes very little money and yet people think that he has no reason to be in the major leagues. You'd be hard pressed to find a guy who does as good a job as Timo. Pinch-hitting is not easy at all, and Timo is very succesdul at it...Yes, if we were in a position where Timo was penciled in to be the starting CF then yes we would have to upgrade, but Timo is going to a bench player for the rest of his career and hes a damn good one at that.

He is a decent bench player, but as a veteran he's a more expensive option. With the payroll expanding this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see Timo cut loose for a younger outfield bench player, especially if both Anderson and Owens seem ready.

SoxSpeed22
12-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Sample: Look for the Twins to sign Joe Randa because from what I hear the White Sox will sign Bill Mueller to a 2 year deal at the winter meetings in DallasI hope the Joe Randa part isn't true. But him and Ozuna would make good back-ups. If this is true, the question that remains, is what to do with Willie?

RallyBowl
12-03-2005, 01:32 PM
I hope the Joe Randa part isn't true. But him and Ozuna would make good back-ups. If this is true, the question that remains, is what to do with Willie?

Send him and Marte to the Marlins for Pierre.

12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=RallyBowl]Send him and Marte to the Marlins for Pierre.[/QUOTE

I'd like that trade...it would leave Cotts as the lefty, but I think Florida would want Anderson or Young for Pierre

A. Cavatica
12-03-2005, 03:19 PM

If we get Mueller and don't follow up by dealing Crede -- and I'll be flabbergasted but happy if that happens -- then I like the versatility of a Mueller/Ozuna/Harris bench. Both Ozuna & Harris can play some outfield so we really only need one pure outfielder on the bench. I wouldn't keep 12 pitchers with the horses we've got for starters.

Fuller_Schettman
12-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't understand the eagerness to dump Marte. Yeah, he had a tough season, but lefty relievers just don't grow on trees! Where are you gonna find a decent battle-tested lefty? Anybody? Bueller?

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2005, 03:22 PM

I can't speak for everyone, but I think the sentiment may be due to the fact that some folks directed their ire at Timo when Ozzie deserved it for batting Timo fifth and DH-ing him. But now that Ozzie has proven that he's a World Series-winning manager, folks simply have turned on Timo.

caulfield12
12-03-2005, 03:37 PM
A friend of mine from Boston email me this report from what Billy Sample reported on an online chat..

Karen (St.Paul MN) Hi Billy! I love the Castillo trade. Do you think the Twins will sign Bill Mueller and any other rumors going on with Twins.

Sample: Look for the Twins to sign Joe Randa because from what I hear the White Sox will sign Bill Mueller to a 2 year deal at the winter meetings in Dallas

I would be fine with it if they benched Cuddyer and stuck Randa at 3B. They already have Tiffee, Castro, Bartlett, Punto, Rivas, Castillo, etc. Unfortunately, there is only one clear starter from that list, Castillo.

The rumor is Cuddyer will have to play RF because Kubel is not ready.

Thinking about the Twins of 2002-2004 and their defense and looking at what they put out on the field now...well, I am not sure how GM Ryan got so far away from his pitching-speed-defense blueprint.

Koskie, AJ, Guzman, Rivas, Mientkiewicz and now Jacque Jones are gone from those teams, not to mention David Ortiz. I wish we would have knocked them off on the field, but it took economics 101 and the ballpark issue to overcome them finally.

Chisox003
12-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Marte and Willie for Pierre?
:roflmao:
I can just imagine that phone call:

KW: "So for Pierre, we were thinking Marte and Harris, maybe a PTBNL"

Marlins GM: *click*

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Timo hit .218 last year. His OBP was .266. He's not a solid major leaguer. In fact, the word "sucks" may very well describe his play. He got a few big hits. So did the entire team. A better player mostl ikely comes in and hits more consistently and also gets those same big hits. Timo also cost the Sox $1MM last year. Not exactly cheap.

EDIT: Timo also hit .167 as a PH.

getonbckthr
12-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Marte and Willie for Pierre?
:roflmao:
I can just imagine that phone call:

KW: "So for Pierre, we were thinking Marte and Harris, maybe a PTBNL"

Marlins GM: *click*
Have you seen some of the Marlins deals over the last week?

Chisox003
12-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Have you seen some of the Marlins deals over the last week?
Ya, and all they've gotten in return is minor leaguers.

Why in the hell would they want Marte again?

RallyBowl
12-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Ya, and all they've gotten in return is minor leaguers.

Why in the hell would they want Marte again?

They Luuuuuuuuv Marte.

santo=dorf
12-03-2005, 04:49 PM
They Luuuuuuuuv Marte.

He'd be the highest paid player on the team when it's all said and done. :anon: <-------Marlin fans.

Chisox003
12-03-2005, 04:54 PM
They Luuuuuuuuv Marte.
Look, if we could trade Willie Harris and Marte for a guy like Pierre, I'd of course do it in a heart beat.

I don't think we need Pierre, nor do I want him. That said, I think it's completely insane to expect the Marlins to give him up in any deal that doesn't involve one of our OF prospects.

Let someone else take him, we got our CF already.

Soxzilla
12-03-2005, 05:22 PM
I never understand this kind of thinking. Let's get rid of players, so then we have to replace them. Huh? If we get rid of Marte, Willie and Timo, who do we get? These guys have all contributed in big ways for the Sox. The old saying, "be careful what you wish for", really comes into play.

I don't understand your thinking. I'm just saying that if we can upgrade, we should. We still haven't replaced Carl Everett, so if you're content with having Timo and (maybe) Joe Borchard as our only backup outfielders...yikes.

I never said we should get rid of Marte, it seems like it might happen considering all the trade talk that has been floating around over the past year.

And Timo is sub-par, he had what? Two big hits last year? Give me a break. Just because a man hits a walk-off single, doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade at his position.

delben91
12-03-2005, 05:41 PM
I think it'd be outstanding if the Sox picked up Mueller. Him and Pablo as the backup infielders would be incredibly solid. Also, as has been said, he'd be excellent at pushing Crede and also filling in if Crede's back causes him problems again.

TimoPerez
12-03-2005, 06:06 PM
I don't understand your thinking. I'm just saying that if we can upgrade, we should. We still haven't replaced Carl Everett, so if you're content with having Timo and (maybe) Joe Borchard as our only backup outfielders...yikes.

I never said we should get rid of Marte, it seems like it might happen considering all the trade talk that has been floating around over the past year.

And Timo is sub-par, he had what? Two big hits last year? Give me a break. Just because a man hits a walk-off single, doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade at his position.

Don't forget the leadership. Many Hispanic players idolize Timo. And who can forget the rally panties?:D:

The Dude
12-03-2005, 06:18 PM

Oh not this again! Timo isnt very successful...he just had a few big hits thats all. When you get a few hits but GIDP/K/ground out almost every at bat in a pinch role...i dont necessarily think that it makes you a DAMN GOOD bench player.

Throw his million towards Mueller to sweeten that contract. Mueller makes us much more solid with the depth chart immediately and I hope this works out!:bandance:

Soxfanspcu11
12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I agree Crede has earned the starting spot going into next year but I can't believe how many people have this guy as an automatic allstar based on a hot September and October. He could just as easy turn back into the guy who had multiple 5 for 50 stretchs last year that everyone wanted to get rid of in July. Mueller would be great insurance for Crede's back and just in case he turns back into the bad Joe Crede.

I agree that it COULD happen but I seriously doubt so. The reason that alot of people wanted him gone in July was because the Sox had a lackluster offense and it seemed as if Crede either popped up or grounded out EVERY AB. However that all changed.

It wasn't that Joe simply "caught fire" at the right time and it was just a matter of luck as far as him getting into a groove.

He caught fire AFTER he fractured his finger in Minnesota. When he went on the DL he reviewed tape with Walk and other hitting instructors. I remember Hawk talking about this on tv and Rooney talking about it on the radio. He changed his swing. And it wasn't a slight change either, it was a pretty drastic change that allowed him to make quick adjustments to pitches and get the sweet spot of the bat on the ball, instead of jamming himself or "Q-ing" shots off the end of his bat.

I don't know all the details but Joe did say that the change made him feel MUCH more comfortable in the box and he felt that certain pitches could no longer beat him. (I guess he previously said that sliders and sinkers ate him alive and he couldn't adjust in time, thus popping up frequently).

I would look for Joe to stay with this approach next year and possibly put up some career year numbers.

cwsfannick
12-03-2005, 11:35 PM
If we pick up Mueller this year and sign him to a two year contract it will be on the pretense that he will be a utility player in 06 and the starting 3rd baseman in 07 after Crede leaves. Mueller will be a stop gap until Fields is ready for the big show.

KRS1
12-03-2005, 11:42 PM
If we pick up Mueller this year and sign him to a two year contract it will be on the pretense that he will be a utility player in 06 and the starting 3rd baseman in 07 after Crede leaves. Mueller will be a stop gap until Fields is ready for the big show.

I think Joe's got a couple more years of arb. left, can someone clear this up?

tebman
12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
All this talk about trading Wee Willie. How is it we haven't heard from bafiarocks on this?

OEO Magglio
12-04-2005, 12:48 AM
I think Joe's got a couple more years of arb. left, can someone clear this up?
This is his last year of arbitration. He's a free agent after this season.

Man Soo Lee
12-04-2005, 01:18 AM

This is Crede's first year of arbitration -- that's why he was only making $400,000 last year. He can become a free agent after the 2008 season.

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2005, 01:20 AM
:anon: <-------Marlin fans.

Yeah, cry me a river for the poor Marlins fans. :whiner: They've had TWO WS winners in their short history (1997, 2003), the 2nd of which came shortly after their last fire sale.

SMO
:gulp:

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2005, 01:22 AM
All this talk about trading Wee Willie. How is it we haven't heard from bafiarocks on this?

past her bedtime

SMO
:tongue:

DSpivack
12-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Yeah, cry me a river for the poor Marlins fans. :whiner: They've had TWO WS winners in their short history (1997, 2003), the 2nd of which came shortly after their last fire sale.

SMO
:gulp:

My roommate is from Ft. Lauderdale, he's more despondent than depressed. Not a big surprise following the stadium deal falling through and the team missing the playoffs. That and the Dolphins, Panthers, and the way the Heat are playing so far, not happy with the way his teams are playing.

nodiggity59
12-04-2005, 03:00 AM

How is that possible? He wasn't called up till 02. That's four years of service max, so he'd be two years from FA.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 07:23 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but I think the sentiment may be due to the fact that some folks directed their ire at Timo when Ozzie deserved it for batting Timo fifth and DH-ing him. But now that Ozzie has proven that he's a World Series-winning manager, folks simply have turned on Timo.
Timo's production:

2005: OBP= .268; SLG = .296
2004: OBP = .285; SLG = .338
2003 (mets): OBP: .269; SLG = .364
Bad OBP; little power.

He's simply a woefully unproductive baseball player. And, yes, 1/4 times he can get on base, so if he is our top pinch hitter, he will get on base at "clutch" times - just random averages.

KRS1
12-05-2005, 11:27 PM
I know some people still wont give up on this but, per rotoworld
Free agent Bill Mueller has narrowed his choices to the Dodgers and Pirates.

I always knew he would get a starting job somewhere.

ShoelessJoeS
12-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I know some people still wont give up on this but, per rotoworld
Free agent Bill Mueller has narrowed his choices to the Dodgers and Pirates.

I always knew he would get a starting job somewhere.
The Pirates? Are you sure Rotoworld wasn't using teal when they said this?

Banix12
12-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Timo's production:

2005: OBP= .268; SLG = .296
2004: OBP = .285; SLG = .338
2003 (mets): OBP: .269; SLG = .364
Bad OBP; little power.

He's simply a woefully unproductive baseball player. And, yes, 1/4 times he can get on base, so if he is our top pinch hitter, he will get on base at "clutch" times - just random averages.

Just another reason he woefully unproductive. He's the worst pinch hitter on the team. He just gets the most opprotunites for some unknown reason. And since he has gotten a PH in one or two in clutch moments I think some of his fans get confused.

TheVulture
12-06-2005, 12:25 AM
If we get rid of Marte, Willie and Timo, who do we get?

Yeah, Timo's irreplaceable.

TheVulture
12-06-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm turning myself in...:tealpolice: Yeah, Timo's irreplaceable.

OEO Magglio
12-06-2005, 12:30 AM
This is Crede's first year of arbitration -- that's why he was only making $400,000 last year. He can become a free agent after the 2008 season.
You're correct. For some reason and I have no clue why, I had it in my head that he was a free agent after this season. My apologies.

wdelaney72
12-06-2005, 09:01 AM

That's the best scenario I've heard yet for Pierre, but I don't think the Marlins would go for it. Marte probably makes too much $$ for the Marlins.

Stoky44
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
I heard on the radio last night Mueller narrowed it down to two teams: Dodgers or Pirates. Yes you are reading that right, the Pirates are in the running. I was just as shocked.

munchman33
12-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I heard on the radio last night Mueller narrowed it down to two teams: Dodgers or Pirates. Yes you are reading that right, the Pirates are in the running. I was just as shocked.

Well, he wants to start. And he wants to be in a run-producing spot in the lineup (ie, not second). Both of those lineups could use him anywhere 3-6.

The Dude
12-06-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm turning myself in...:tealpolice:

Well if RowandKicksass07 is your judge...youll be off scot free!:D: