PDA

View Full Version : Where's Carl

we be jake
12-03-2005, 12:19 PM
So- with all the talk about the DH what's the deal with Everett? Is he already gone? Am I nuts or is Thome just another old, injured guy? Will he continue the legacy of cronic DL @ DH ? How is he any different than Frank? I must be missing something. Can someone please enlighten me? I'm new to the site and love the " unofficial cuz that's the way we like it" thing. Right up my alley! we be jake:cool:

XplodingScorbord
12-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm probably a fool, but I still hope to see Big Frank back in black pinstripes. I just can't picture him in another team's uniform, and hope I never have to. As for Carl, I watched him strike out swinging on 3 pitches enough to last me a lifetime.

Anyway, :welcome:

jabrch
12-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Am I nuts or is Thome just another old, injured guy?

You are nuts. Before last season's elbow injury, he has been healthy nearly his entire career. He hasn't played less than 143 games since 1998 (6 seasons) and he hasn't hit less than 30 HRs since 1995.

Is he an injury risk? Sure.

Is he "just another old, injured guy"? NO WAY

we be jake
12-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Yea carl the wiffer would be no loss but what is his status with the team? Nebody know?

soxruleEP
12-03-2005, 12:32 PM
So- with all the talk about the DH what's the deal with Everett? Is he already gone? Am I nuts or is Thome just another old, injured guy? Will he continue the legacy of cronic DL @ DH ? How is he any different than Frank? I must be missing something. Can someone please enlighten me? I'm new to the site and love the " unofficial cuz that's the way we like it" thing. Right up my alley! we be jake:cool:

Differences:

Thome is left-handed.

Thome is not "oft-injured." He was hurt last season for the first time in his career. He does not have a chronic recurring problem like Frank.

Fredsox
12-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Second the motion on the welcome. I think Carl's out looking for work right now. I think a few teams might be interested in him but probably not until we get closer to spring training. At this point in his career he's probably not a starter on a first-tier team. He's a good player though, I think some one looking for additional pop in the line-up might take a chance on him.

Daver
12-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Yea carl the wiffer would be no loss but what is his status with the team? Nebody know?

He has no status with the team, he is a FA, his option was bought out .

we be jake
12-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I hope Thome's age doesn't affect his healing - and I ,of course, hope for the best, but I feel Frank is somehow being dissed in this whole deal. Carl did have some big hits along the way and I wish him well also. As a lifelong fan this season meant a lot tome (lol). It's been along time since our grade school teachers let us bring radios to school for the '59 world series. I was afraid I'd never see it again. And Wlmer didn't like bein' slapped nor did he he like "a crippled newsy" taking his guns away. thanks for the welcomes

CHEESESOXER
12-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Carl's out looking for dinosaurs.:tongue:

ChiSoxLifer
12-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins sign him. They're taking a long hard look at Frank. Ugh. I'm just not so sure how Frank's ankle would hold up running on artificial turf. Granted he would only be running around the infield but it is a consideration.

Banix12
12-03-2005, 06:42 PM
In my view Carl has always been a reluctant DH. He would much prefer to play the field, even though his best days are behind him out there. I think he does like he did last time he was a free agent and signs with whatever National League team will give him a contract.

RKMeibalane
12-03-2005, 07:05 PM

:hawk

"HE GAWN!"

IronFisk
12-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Pretty much unanimous on this board that Crazy Carl is not only gone, but quite forgotten.

Daver
12-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Pretty much unanimous on this board that Crazy Carl is not only gone, but quite forgotten.

I would have no problem with Carl Everret returning, at all.

He provides veteran leadership, has proven to be a class guy while wearing a Sox uniform, and provides a dangerous bat off the bench.

The fact that there is no place for him gets in the way though.

Ekwall
12-03-2005, 11:27 PM
At the risk of offending the pro-Brian Anderson crowd, why not re-sign this guy? We only have two proven outfielders on the hook for next year as of now, correct?

Banix12
12-04-2005, 12:08 AM
At the risk of offending the pro-Brian Anderson crowd, why not re-sign this guy? We only have two proven outfielders on the hook for next year as of now, correct?

There is the whole problem that Carl isn't so hot in the OF anymore. If he could split some time at DH that is one thing but I don't want to see him in the OF on a regular basis.