PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Announcer Calls/Descriptions?

TomBradley72
12-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Watching the White Sox World Series DVD....during one HR....John Rooney's description/call was "That ball is getting small in a hurry!"....never heard that one before...loved it. Anyone have any other announcer descriptions or phrases (over the years) they really liked? One other: "Goodbye Mr. Spalding" from "The Natural".

whitesoxwilkes
12-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Watching the White Sox World Series DVD....during one HR....John Rooney's description/call was "That ball is getting small in a hurry!"....never heard that one before...loved it. Anyone have any other announcer descriptions or phrases (over the years) they really liked? One other: "Goodbye Mr. Spalding" from "The Natural".

I've always liked "hang a star on that one." I think the guy from San Diego started it and Farmio ripped it off.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I liked Farmer's reaction to Paulies slam in game 2 "It's a slam, Sox lead 6-4, Light it Up"

delben91
12-03-2005, 12:04 PM
I liked Farmer's reaction to Paulies slam in game 2 "It's a slam, Sox lead 6-4, Light it Up"

I was about to put that too. The pure emotion in that call gave me chills.

gaelhound
12-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Harry in the center field bleachers when Dick Allen hit one brobdignagian clout!
Picture Harry with his net, shirtless in some arrest me red shorts.
Harry calls the ball coming straight out to center, crash sounds on the radio a brief silence and Harry comes back to the microphone to announce he missed the ball with the net
"I could have been immortal!"
You are harry, you are

Fenway
12-03-2005, 12:32 PM
2 classic calls that will live forever

"There's a long drive … it's gonna be … I believe …the Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! … I don't believe it. … The Giants win the pennant!"
Russ Hodges WMCA New York

The only reason that tape exists is it was recorded by a Brooklyn fan who wanted to hear the hated Russ Hodges say "Brooklyn wins the pennant!!!" But he was a good loser and sent Russ the tape

the other by Jack Buck on KMOX
"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!" after Ozzie Smith hit the winning homer in Game 5 of the 1985 NLCS

with one other Buck call right behind
"I don't believe what I just saw!" after Kirk Gibson's HR in Game 1 of the 88 World Series.

gowhitesox
12-03-2005, 01:20 PM
My favorite announcer calls would be John Rooney calling the final out of the World Series. No Sox fan will ever forget that call. My other favorites are Ken Harrellson's "You can put in on the board, YES!!!"

TomBradley72
12-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Had to love Rooney's call of Uribe's catch in Game 4: "Did he catch it? Did he catch it? (pause) He caught it! He caught it!"

MrRoboto83
12-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Game 1 of ALDS "Light'em up and go nuts for a while", Ed Farmer classic, go nuts, but just for a while, After A.J.'s first inning homer.

antitwins13
12-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy Back He looks up You can put it on the boaaard YEssss The Sox win in extra innngs JOOOOEEE CREEEDEEE_ The Hawk

Uh-Oh That balls gone-DJ

The Wall
12-03-2005, 02:58 PM
John Rooney call from the San Diego game from this season...

"...The pitch on the way...<pause>...<high happy pitch patented of John>Thomas Unloads..."

The call from the 4th or 5th inning of the twins game this year that was only on radio. I cant recall the exact call...but it was a defensive gem from Iguchi.

Opening Day John Rooney saying "...for the first time in a while, Sox open their season at home." That was a fantastic day.

PKalltheway
12-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy Back He looks up You can put it on the boaaard YEssss The Sox win in extra innngs JOOOOEEE CREEEDEEE_ The Hawk

That's my favorite along with John Rooney's call of the final out of the World Series. Both of those calls give chills whenever I hear them whether it is JOOOOOEEE CREEEDDDDDDDEEEEEE!!!!! or THE WHITE SOX WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!

popilius
12-05-2005, 01:10 AM
One of my favorite calls this year was one of Frank Thomas's homeruns- during the string of 5 or 6 incredible games he had. John Rooney called the homer in about 2 seconds: "Thomas unloads and GONE!"

Also, I love Wimpy's lineup call: "And in right field batting 6th- OH let me tell you about Bo Jackson!"

:gulp:

rbeze09
12-05-2005, 01:12 AM
That's my favorite along with John Rooney's call of the final out of the World Series. Both of those calls give chills whenever I hear them whether it is JOOOOOEEE CREEEDDDDDDDEEEEEE!!!!! or THE WHITE SOX WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!

ditto. i feel the same way. I listened to Rooney's call everyday for a week after we did it, unbelievable. And the adrenaline hawk was feeling with the crede blast, i think that was how every sox fan was feeling at the time, just awesome. I made desktops for each of these after they happened. I still have rooneys on mine, so i can feel that sox pride everytime i'm on the computer. You have to love the emotion our announcers put into the calls this year. We're lucky to have these great announcers. I'll def miss Rooney, as will all of us. YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YEEESSS!!!JOE CREDE...HIS 2ND HOME RUN OF THE GAME...AND THE SOX WIN IT 7-6.....JOOOE CREEEDEE!!!

Erik The Red
12-05-2005, 01:38 AM
My favorite call this postseason was Rooney's call of Pods' walkoff, followed closely by his call of the pennant-winning out. As much as I like Rooney's call of the last out of the World Series, every time I hear it I think of Ed Farmer ****ing it up by ripping off Jack Buck by saying, "Go crazy!" :angry:

santo=dorf
12-05-2005, 01:40 AM
John Rooney call from the San Diego game from this season...

"...The pitch on the way...<pause>...<high happy pitch patented of John>Thomas Unloads..."

Thomas struck out on 3 pitches (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/details.php?image_id=715)in his only bat in the San Diego series. :(:

Corlose 15
12-05-2005, 04:44 AM
Rooney had a really good call of Frank's 3 run HR against TB in the 8th inning to put the Sox up.

WikdChiSoxFan
12-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Chris Berman's...with the the final out of the 2005 ALDS...

"And the Red Sox...."

mccoydp
12-05-2005, 08:17 AM
The Hawk's call of the Crede HR against the Jndjans this past September...awesome. I watched it two or three times afterward, and it gave me goosebumps every time.

1000ml
12-05-2005, 09:58 AM
:farmer

"This place is Electric!"

I don't remember the exact game when this happened, but they replay this line on espn1000 all the time and it still gives me goosebumps.

ChiSoxGirl
12-05-2005, 10:36 AM
:farmer

"This place is Electric!"

I don't remember the exact game when this happened, but they replay this line on espn1000 all the time and it still gives me goosebumps.

That would've been Sat., June 18- The A.J. Walk-Off Game against the Dodgers.

ws05champs
12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Heard the audio of the Astro's announcer's call of the extremely close last out of game 4:

"He's saaaaa-out."

gosox83
12-05-2005, 10:41 AM
"and these fans are going nuts all over this facility they call U.S. Cellular"

Ed Farmer after Crede's game winning double of Game 2 of the ALCS.

And how right he was as I was one of the fans going NUTS!!

My best Sox memory ever!!!!

soxrme
12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
The Hawk's call of the Crede HR against the Jndjans this past September...awesome. I watched it two or three times afterward, and it gave me goosebumps every time.
I agree, Hawk was so emotional he could not talk. Just saying JOE CREDE was great.

mjharrison72
12-05-2005, 10:50 AM
I love Rooney's pennant-winning call. I have a version of it, but the audio is really low, and it's too short. I love several things abotu it, first, that you can hear them talking about how "tough, tough, tough" Contreras had been pitching before the "Swing and a ground ball to Konerko." You can just hear the excitement building... he know as soon as the ball was hit. Then I think the construction of his actual call is perfect radio journalism: "The White Sox have won the pennant! They've won the pennant! A White Sox winner, and they're going to the World Series!"

I also love him saying "And they'll start the World Series on the South Side next weekend."

The clip I have ends before he says "...and celebrate, White Sox fans, celebrate!"
Tears.

Taliesinrk
12-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Wow.. awesome thread.. good memories people. I had about 5 calls and I think all of them have been touched upon. Has anyone discussed the Hawk call on the AJ walk-off? That was pretty sweet, Hawk cracked.. he was yelling so loud that he couldn't get up to the "note" on "boooaaaarrrdd, Yes!!!"
Also, I definately replayed the call of Thomas going deep when Rooney said "Thomas Unloooooaaaads!!!" <--- Straight Chills..

And, what made the end of the WS so awesome was that Rooney had two calls back-to-back that were sweet. Uribe's catch was aweomse, especially if you weren't watching on the TV, and well, let's be honest, the final out was history.

On a side note, I don't think we can talk about other sports' calls in here, but Al Michaels in the '80 olympics.. also, another one that sends chills...

chisox
12-05-2005, 12:16 PM
:boston

"2005 World Series, Twins over Cubs."

not a call, i know. but i smile every time i see it. in the spirit of spreading holiday cheer, here's the link. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=05expertpicks)

kevingrt
12-05-2005, 12:23 PM
This year there were a lot of classic calls. I cannot put these in any specific order but here are my favs.

Farmer's grand slam call of PK was just awesome, pure emotion.

Hawk's Joe Crede extra inning home run call vs Cleveland on Tuesday. Nothing gets better then "JOEEEE CREDEEEE"

The final out of the World Series obviously.

Juan Uribe's miracle catch by Rooney.

Farmer's call of Crede's ALCS HR in game one. He goes with the homerun call then says "Joe, have a post season to remember"

I loved them all!

Lip Man 1
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
From a Sox historical standpoint I always enjoyed these.

"There's a drive, way back, that ball is up, over, gone!"--Milo Hamilton.

"There's a drive, way back...it might be, it could be, it IS! A home run!!" -- Harry Caray.

"There's a deep drive. Back to the track, to the wall, this ball is gone!-- Don Drysdale.

Lip

Theanticub
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I think hawk's announcing AJ's walk off against the dodgers was priceless. I thought he was going to die.

I also thought that Crede walk off vs. cleveland at the end of the year was some good announcing....

Either way, I love all the hawkisms and such...thank God we have him.

IronFisk
12-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I love Rooney's pennant-winning call. I have a version of it, but the audio is really low, and it's too short. I love several things abotu it, first, that you can hear them talking about how "tough, tough, tough" Contreras had been pitching before the "Swing and a ground ball to Konerko." You can just hear the excitement building... he know as soon as the ball was hit. Then I think the construction of his actual call is perfect radio journalism: "The White Sox have won the pennant! They've won the pennant! A White Sox winner, and they're going to the World Series!"

I also love him saying "And they'll start the World Series on the South Side next weekend."

The clip I have ends before he says "...and celebrate, White Sox fans, celebrate!"
Tears.

Read my mind - by FAR my favorite. Don't forget, this WAS the hurdle for many moons. I never thought I'd see the day when we actually won the pennant - winning it all from there was gravy. I think that's perfectly reflected in Rooney's call - pure exhilaration. Yes, a tear-jerker. (Also, a nice treat to see that call with the actual video from the Sox WS DVD!).

Second - JOOOOOOOOE CREEEEEEEEEEEEDE!!!! :bandance: