PDA

View Full Version : Why donīt Sox trade Marte for Romero?

caulfield12
12-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Almost the EXACT same salaries....would seem to be a win-win for both sides to find new scenery for these players without adding payroll....you can argue until you are blue in the fact the merits and downsides of each pitcher, but I like this move for some reason in my gut.

ARTICLE TODAY IN SUNTIMES ABOUT FRANK, TWINS, CASTILLO

The Twins would have preferred to trade left-handed reliever J.C. Romero, who is under contract for $2.2 million next season after clashing with manager Ron Gardenhire and struggling to keep inherited runners from scoring.

Romero was one pitcher shopped last summer before the trading deadline, which passed without a major move by Minnesota (Bret Boone not a major move, surely you jest?). Ryan was criticized then for failing to upgrade the lineup and give the Twins a better chance to contend for the postseason. Teams were primarily asking for prized pitchers Scott Baker and Francisco Liriano, who wound up in the rotation.

JUribe1989
12-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Hey dude, what's the score?

I'm sure the Sox would love to have. JC Romero. Why would the Twins want to give him up for Marte?

caulfield12
12-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Hey dude, what's the score?

I'm sure the Sox would love to have. JC Romero. Why would the Twins want to give him up for Marte?

Didnīt you read the quotes??? They tried to offer Romero instead of the pitchers they eventually gave up (read...affordable for future) but the Marlins wouldnīt bite.

Romero will make $2.2 million, Marte $2.25 million. Salaries line up, and both are-were in the doghouse over the last couple of seasons with managers and management.

Both have been terribly inconsistent in 2004 and 2005 after being much more dominant in 2002 and 2003.

You could put Las Vegas odds of who would have the better season in 2006 and 50% would pick Marte and 50% would pick Romero.

antitwins13
12-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Didn't JC Romero use steroids? No thanks.

OEO Magglio
12-03-2005, 01:34 PM
That was Rincon.

RallyBowl
12-03-2005, 01:34 PM

Great point. I forgot about that. I also pass.

Edit- Oh yeah, it was Rincon. I still pass.

oeo
12-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Didnīt you read the quotes??? They tried to offer Romero instead of the pitchers they eventually gave up (read...affordable for future) but the Marlins wouldnīt bite.

Romero will make $2.2 million, Marte $2.25 million. Salaries line up, and both are-were in the doghouse over the last couple of seasons with managers and management.

Both have been terribly inconsistent in 2004 and 2005 after being much more dominant in 2002 and 2003.

You could put Las Vegas odds of who would have the better season in 2006 and 50% would pick Marte and 50% would pick Romero.

So, if they're so similar, why do you even take this chance? Don't trade just for the sake of trading, especially with your division rival. What if Marte comes up big next year, and Romero goes down the ****ter? I think it's a terrible idea to EVER trade within your division. Unless of course you're in the same division as the Pirates, as they seem to just give away their talent to the Flubs.

antitwins13
12-03-2005, 01:35 PM
That was Rincon.

My bad, I get all those bush league Twins relievers confused.

Fuller_Schettman
12-03-2005, 03:23 PM
We're better off with the devil we know.

Pass!

rowand33
12-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Teams don't normally like to trade in their division...