PDA

View Full Version : Sox&Tigers pulled a prank on Jayson Stark

Whitesox4ever
12-03-2005, 06:47 AM
A few years ago

One member of the Detroit Tigers front office detailed how he engaged in an elaborate prank with the Chicago White Sox that victimized Jayson Stark once again. First, the Tigers official informed Stark that he was in “serious talks” with the Sox about a blockbuster deal that would involve most of the Tigers starting lineup and several key members of the White Sox pitching staff. After meeting with the Tigers, Stark contacted the White Sox, who were in on the prank, and confirmed the rumor.

“Oh we had him really excited,” said the Tigers official. “He was all sweaty and nervous and antsy, and he was like ‘You’re kidding me. I’ve got to call in to Sportscenter and alert America about this immediately.’ But I told him to hold tight, because the conversations were still ongoing. Then the White Sox called him on his cell phone and told him the deal was off. Then we called him and said the deal was still on. We had that guy running around in circles. He didn't suspect a thing, even when I burst into hysterics on the phone.”

By the time Stark got the bad news, it was too late. The story had already appeared in his ESPN.com column as one of the “latest rumors.” However, Stark remained upbeat, saying that some trade rumors never come to fruition, which is why they’re listed as rumors.

dickallen15
12-03-2005, 07:57 AM
I think its bush league for the Sox and Tigers to do that. Stark has a job to do, if they don't like it, they should just ignore him, but to feed him BS like that is just wrong. They should try to act professional.

Soxmissy
12-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Oh come on now! A little humor never hurt anyone! It's good for the soul!:rolleyes:

RedPinStripes
12-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I think its bush league for the Sox and Tigers to do that. Stark has a job to do, if they don't like it, they should just ignore him, but to feed him BS like that is just wrong. They should try to act professional.

Bush league? He's a reporter! He had to be getting on both team's nerves for them to pull something off like this.

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 11:13 AM
That is hilarious. But come on Stark, the tigers and the white sox making a huge trade with each other? he should know better

SOX ADDICT '73
12-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I have nothing against Stark (in my experience, he's been fairly complimentary toward the White Sox), but if something like this happened to Bruce LeVineLine, you can't tell me you wouldn't find it hilarious!

Actually, considering how often he's wrong, teams must be pranking Levine all the time!

dickallen15
12-03-2005, 03:11 PM
I have nothing against Stark (in my experience, he's been fairly complimentary toward the White Sox), but if something like this happened to Bruce LeVineLine, you can't tell me you wouldn't find it hilarious!

Actually, considering how often he's wrong, teams must be pranking Levine all the time!

It may be funny to some, it also may be a reason you don't hear many White Sox rumors and tidbits on ESPN. They can't be sure they aren't being played. Stark has a job to do, teams should respect that, and not waste his time with garbage. I really doubt the White Sox and Tigers would find it funny if a team jokingly made a player available in a trade, negotiated a trade for the player with them, and then pulled the plug telling them it was just a prank.

skobabe8
12-03-2005, 03:15 PM
It may be funny to some, it also may be a reason you don't hear many White Sox rumors and tidbits on ESPN. They can't be sure they aren't being played. Stark has a job to do, teams should respect that, and not waste his time with garbage. I really doubt the White Sox and Tigers would find it funny if a team jokingly made a player available in a trade, negotiated a trade for the player with them, and then pulled the plug telling them it was just a prank.

Easy, Dick.

Lord knows reporters never waste players time with idiotic questions. :D:

NonetheLoaiza
12-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Aren't reporters supposed to have sources? Granted, both sides were in on it, but he should be doing more research than simply asking each team if the rumor is true. I don't know. It was just a harmless prank...

DumpJerry
12-03-2005, 03:33 PM
This is hilarious!
The Tigers pulled a similar prank this year when Dimitri Young stated that the AL Central would come down to the Kitties and the Tribe. That was also a laugh riot.:D:

Fredsox
12-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Aren't reporters supposed to have sources? Granted, both sides were in on it, but he should be doing more research than simply asking each team if the rumor is true. I don't know. It was just a harmless prank...

Not only this but it is conceivable that there might have been some motivation on the part of the ball clubs to pull Stark's chain a bit. Let's not assume that he had possibly done something to earn the chain-pulling.

RallyBowl
12-03-2005, 03:41 PM
This is hilarious!
The Tigers pulled a similar prank this year when Dimitri Young stated that the AL Central would come down to the Kitties and the Tribe. That was also a laugh riot.:D:

:roflmao:

sox84
12-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Pulling a reporters chain??? Should be done early, late, in between, and often, but never can be often enough. :o:

Coolpapa
12-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Everyone's chain just got pulled......

http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/gmsleaking_full.htm

Fredsox
12-04-2005, 06:38 AM

http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/gmsleaking_full.htm

That is freakin' hilarious.

antitwins13
12-04-2005, 10:13 PM