PDA

View Full Version : Who did you hate to see go?

BV2005
12-03-2005, 02:40 AM
With Aaron Rownd being gone it got me thinking of other fan favorites that either got traded or left via free agancy. So which Sox player did you hate to see go the most over the past few years? Aaron Rownd, Robin Ventura, Ray Durham, Jack McDowell, Miguel Olivo, Carlos Lee, Harold Baines, other?

getonbckthr
12-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Growin up Harold was my favorite player. On the day he was traded to Texas I was suppose to meet him before the game. Unfortunately the game got rained out, and the team had a special meeting. One of their dugout workers came to me and my parents and took my baseball. On the way home we heard the announcement that Harold was traded. At the age of 6 I didn't understand until my dad explained it to me. About a week later a package came for me from Texas. Nobody had a clue what it was, we didn't have family living in Texas, did we? We opened it up and their was a bday card from Harold to me apologizing and everything. A letter to my parents explaining what happened and how this was his last autograph he ever signed as a member of the White Sox (obviously not anymore since he returned a couple of times). Also in the box was the gift. An autographed baseball from my hero for ever and my all time favorite sock, Harold Baines.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I always liked Rocky Biddle back when he was on the Sox. He went to Montreal in the Bartolo Colon deal.

TheVulture
12-03-2005, 11:29 AM
The Baines trade was a terrrible shock to me, as a kid, that probably helped blunt the blow of losing McDowell and Ventura which I found nearly as troubling. I didn't get over the Baines trade for a good two years until, during my only time in life visiting Baltimore, I happened to catch Alvarez's first start with the Sox, where he went out and threw a no-hitter. Around the 7th inning, as the O's fans were suddenly cheering on Wilson, I was sitting there thinking maybe it wasn't such a bad trade after all. Still it would've been nice to see Thomas and Baines batting 3-4 through the early nineties.

caulfield12
12-03-2005, 11:35 AM
With Aaron Rownd being gone it got me thinking of other fan favorites that either got traded or left via free agancy. So which Sox player did you hate to see go the most over the past few years? Aaron Rownd, Robin Ventura, Ray Durham, Jack McDowell, Miguel Olivo, Carlos Lee, Harold Baines, other?

I think I was about 20 when the Belle Sosa deal went down. Thatīs one that I disliked the most...as I was excited that we were able to get Sosa, Alvarez (and Fletcher I think). We asked for Juan Gone first and were turned down by the Rangers.

Obviously Ventura leaving was upsetting, but, at the same time, not unexpected.

Durham, simply because it was a straight-out salary dump...

A lot of people around the organization really liked Chris Singleton and hated to see him go, even though he was more of a 4th outfielder than a starter.

Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon was upsetting in my youth.

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 11:36 AM
As great as the Lee-Pods trade worked out, I was sad to see Carlos go. He provided me with my favorite pre 2005 memory at a sox game. That memory being of course his walk off slam vs the cubs.

Crede_Fan
12-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Three way tie for me with Rowand, Robin & Fisk. However, if Frank is really gone he will take over as #1.

RallyBowl
12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't remember some of the trades mentioned already, so for me to see Aaron go definitely hurts the most. I can only hope that it is in the cards for him to also make a glorious return to the White Sox, after he has become an All-Star in Philly.

caulfield12
12-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't remember some of the trades mentioned already, so for me to see Aaron go definitely hurts the most. I can only hope that it is in the cards for him to also make a glorious return to the White Sox, after he has become an All-Star in Philly.

I donīt normally like these second go-arounds with players....like Harold Baines, especially the last time. I prefer to remember them at their best. Thatīs one of the reasons I am glad we didnīt bring Ventura here for one last season. I prefer the grand-slam hitting, Gold Glove, MVPesque season with the Mets version to seeing him reduce to something lesser.

The White Sox have Chris Young and Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens. One of those three will be the CF for the next 4-6 seasons. At that point, Rowandīs game will have decreased past the point of no return.

TheVulture
12-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I donīt normally like these second go-arounds with players....like Harold Baines, especially the last time.

I'll agree with you about the last time, but I didn't have any trouble watching Harold put these numbers up his 2nd go round.

1996- 495 AB 80 R 154 H 29 2B 0 3b 22 HR 95 RBI 73 BB .311 .399 .503
1997- 318 AB 40 R 97 H 18 2B 0 3b 12 HR 52 RBI 47 BB .305 .382 .475

And then he was traded again, midseason, as a follow up to the infamous white flag trade:whiner:

TheVulture
12-03-2005, 12:45 PM
The White Sox have Chris Young and Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens. One of those three will be the CF for the next 4-6 seasons. At that point, Rowandīs game will have decreased past the point of no return.

After 4 years, Rowand'll only be 31 or 32. Besides, after the next 1-2 years Dye and Podsednik may not be around, which is why I disagree with those who say Rowand was only blocking those guys you mention. Not to knock Dye or Pods, but I'd say I would rather have had Rowand around for the next few years, even if you move him to LF or RF, and let the prospects take over for the other 2. Certainly Podsednik's value(speed) as he moves past 30 would decline faster than Rowand as he moves toward 30, and Dye may or may not be back after this year. Anyway, I see Rowand's game peaking in the 4-6 year range, not declining.

kevin57
12-03-2005, 12:52 PM
ARow was a tough go, but for me Robin Ventura was the toughest, probably because while one can legitimately criticize at least certain aspects of Rowand's play, Ventura was top-notch in everything.

Garland_IS_God
12-03-2005, 01:04 PM
I always like James Baldwin for some reason. I remember going to some games early as a kid and he would always be by the stands signing autographs. He seemed like a really nice guy.

Ventura Fan 23
12-03-2005, 02:32 PM
I was sad to see Carlos Lee go last year, even though it was a GREAT trade.

antitwins13
12-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Carlos Lee, D'Angelo Jimenez, WTP (Ray Durham), Jose Valentin, Kip Wells, and now The Big Hurt.

caulfield12
12-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I always like James Baldwin for some reason. I remember going to some games early as a kid and he would always be by the stands signing autographs. He seemed like a really nice guy.

He had the slowest walk off the mound Ive seen outside of geriatric leagues.

If you combined him with Fisk (maybe Bere could come in relief, or the first half Contreras or El Duque) and then Mike Hargrove at the plate, you might have the first non-ending baseball game in history. Maybe Nomar with his pre-bat routine with the batting gloves, lol.

caulfield12
12-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Carlos Lee, D'Angelo Jimenez, WTP (Ray Durham), Jose Valentin, Kip Wells, and now The Big Hurt.

Please, please, please tell me you are kidding about Jimenez and just wanted to see if anyone would notice. What next, Julio Ramirez?

rbeze09
12-03-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm still kind of in denial that the BIG HURTis gonna be gone. He would obivously be #1, but before him it would have to be the other have of batman and robin, Robin Ventura. You had to love the great defense and heroics

Huisj
12-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I was 6 when Harold got traded, and my family was camping at Hofmaster Park in Muskegon. My dad told me the news, and I threw my sox hat on the ground and stomped on it and said I'd never be a sox fan again. He was my hero, and I didn't yet understand trading deadlines and free agency and prospects or anything like that.

DumpJerry
12-03-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm still upset that Jackson and Weaver were given the boot.

WikdChiSoxFan
12-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Please, please, please tell me you are kidding about Jimenez and just wanted to see if anyone would notice. What next, Julio Ramirez?

You let him get away with the Strikeout Machine Valentin....mind you, he was the "Meister of the 3-run shot"... but I couldn't wait to get rid of him...

...well, he did have pretty big thighs...our Thighmaster cheers died out after he left...

...oh but for me it would have to be...Aaron or Robin or Miguel...oh, it hurts to see them all go. If I had to pick one, prolly Aaron, Original Grinder, just helped us to a world championship, he loved this team, etc. etc....

but Robin was my idol growing up....tough call

soxfan26
12-03-2005, 05:18 PM
I remember being pretty bummed when Harold Baines was traded (the first time). It's always harder for me to see guys leave via free agency or get released - specifically Robin Ventura and Carlton Fisk.

Frankly Missing
12-03-2005, 05:30 PM
I will always have a soft spot for James Baldwin.

Game 3 of the 2000 ALDS, he was nothing short of ferocious.

He epitomized "Win or Die Trying" that day, way before the 2005 White Sox were born.

I wish his career could have taken a better course since then.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-03-2005, 05:33 PM
i hated to see ozzie leave as a player. i was at his last game. he got a huge standing O. there was one of those planes above the stadium carring a huge banner. something along the lines of "Thanks #13 - Love #23 Family." nice salute from Robin.

antitwins13
12-03-2005, 08:21 PM

Jimenez was my favorite player when he was on the team.

Theanticub
12-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm still upset that Jackson and Weaver were given the boot.

I just watched 8 men out...and for some reason everytime I watch it...I expect them to win....per the words of "the dude" lebowski..."It's a bummer man."

LongLiveFisk
12-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Pudge, of course, although it was inevitable at some point. He's a huge reason I became such a diehard. I was a fan prior to his arrival, but really became a Sox fanatic afterwards. (Plus the way it was handled was quite crappy, but that's a whole 'nother topic we won't hijack the thread with. I'm sure the topic was already beaten to death anyway!)

Watching Frank leave is also gonna be tough. :(:

SoxSideIrish
12-04-2005, 03:58 AM
im a little young for some of these to be vivid, but i was always a huge ventura fan. and i loved going to games and participating the "haaaaaaaaarold" chants. so those to were kind of downers for me. and fisk of course. that one hurt. but most recently, i think the olivo trade stung the most. i must have a soft spot for catchers (been a catcher since little league, i wish i still played though) or something, but i wasnt convinced that freddy would produce like he could/should. :redface: my bad. still didnt like to see miguel leave though. i think as i come to understand the business side of baseball more, things start to make sense, like rowand...it stings a little, but i can understand it and i think it was handled well.

MUsoxfan
12-04-2005, 04:05 AM
I really liked Howry. I was upset for a few days when he left

Realist
12-04-2005, 04:37 AM

He's a great guy. I spent an entire nite power drinking with him one evening.

For some reason, as much as I liked the trade, I was very sad to see Olivo go. It's probably 'cause he was so sad to leave the Sox and that was pretty rare in those days.

sox84
12-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Ventura. The front office today wouldnt have let that happen. Its a different Jerry now, too.:whiner:

soxrme
12-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Fox. Pierce, Landis, Aparico. Allen, Zisk, Lee, Pierce,Ventura, and Baines. Some old names but I old too.:D:

DumpJerry
12-04-2005, 05:48 PM
I just watched 8 men out...and for some reason everytime I watch it...I expect them to win....per the words of "the dude" lebowski..."It's a bummer man."
Yeah, I watched yesterday morning right before I saw this thread. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the correct names.

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-04-2005, 05:50 PM
my excitment for pods overtook my sadness for carlos

Wsoxmike59
12-04-2005, 06:44 PM
I was 10 years old when the Sox traded Luis Aparicio to the Red Sox for Mike Andrews and Luis Alvarado. I remember I was so upset that I cried that night, and my father had to talk me in off the ledge (figuratively) the next day. I was REALLY pissed! :angry:

I can't remember Dad's exact words, but it was something to the effect that baseball is a business, and sometimes hard decisions have to be made for the betterment of the team.

The trade never really worked out for the Sox. Andrews had a solid year in 1971 but broke his arm in a collision turning the DP in September of that year, and was never the same player afterward. He was out of baseball for good in two or three years.....Alvarado was a good field no hit SS always doing battle with the Mendoza line.

DaleJRFan
12-05-2005, 10:57 AM
D'Angelo Jimenez

:tealpolice:

Baby Fisk
12-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Pudge, of course, although it was inevitable at some point. He's a huge reason I became such a diehard. I was a fan prior to his arrival, but really became a Sox fanatic afterwards. (Plus the way it was handled was quite crappy, but that's a whole 'nother topic we won't hijack the thread with. I'm sure the topic was already beaten to death anyway!)

Watching Frank leave is also gonna be tough. :(:

Fisk, obviously. Especially the way it happened. :angry:

That, plus the White Flag Trade in 1997 almost killed my attachment to the Sox. I stopped following them from 1997 to 2000. Didn't seem to miss much those years anyway.

StillMissOzzie
12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I'd have to go with Ventura. It just seemed like the Sox made him an offer they already knew was gonna get beat. I was there when he hit a HR vs. Gossage for a come from behind victory in the 9th.

SMO
:(:

A. Cavatica
12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Jose Paniagua.

Seriously, I was sad to see Tony Bernazard go. He was a better player than Julio Cruz, and Julio got to experience the division championship instead. But if we hadn't made that trade, we might not have played so well in the second half.

All players move on, and I'm only sad about it 10% of the time. Some of those 10% left in good trades (Baines) and some left in bad (Durham, Bonilla); some had careers shortened by injuries (Robin, Greg Walker, Brian Simmons, Cal Eldred) and some by age (Fisk).

DenverSock
12-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Aaron simply because he was an integral part of the team which actually won the series. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the series we won in New York was largely due to his fielding. I echo your sentiments about his returning.

MsSoxVixen22
12-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Definately Aaron, Durham and Robbie Alomar

ChiSoxGirl
12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Only twice in my 16 years of being a Sox fan have I shed tears over the departure of a player- Robin Ventura in '98 and Aaron Rowand a couple weeks ago. While the Rowand one hurt because I just felt so bad for him, knowing how much he loved it here and how he has so many close friends on the team, how Ventura left is what made that guy leaving so hard. That's the only time in my life I've ever written a letter of disgust and frustration to anyone, but especially a baseball organization! I vowed to not go to a single Sox game in 1999 to show how upset I was, and I believe I stuck to that vow. I remember I got some generic letter in return from Uncle Jerry, saying how the departure of Ventura was making room for the next up & coming ballplayers in the organization- Mike Caruso being the only name I can remember at this time. Some up & coming ballplayer. Wasn't he in the Pacific Coast League awhile back before hanging up the cleats altogether?

chisoxfanatic
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
The hardest guy to see go was Carlos Lee. I had grown attached to the guy so much and loved sitting in left field just to sit in his proximity. But, Podsednik sure has helped level the sadness.